Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a zoom lens

• 10-11-2014 3:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭

Its been a while since I've taken my photography seriously and forgotten all I've learned!

I've a nikon D3200 and the wife gets frustrated in the zoo and holidays with our son that she can't get close up with anything as we've only the 18 -55 kit lens. So was looking to get an additional lens. Preferably that I don't have to keep alternating. So would you consider at 55 - 200mm the way to go or a 55-300mm.

I've a small budget - €200 max. And eyed up a Tamron but i heard the focus speed was lacking. Do I lose much zoom between the 200 and 300? I've seen a Nikon AF-S DX VR 55 - 200mm for below 200 and am thinking this is possibly the route to take.

any thoughts for a newbie?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭b318isp

Not being smart, but have you tried getting the camera closer? I use a 17-40mm or 28-70mm for the vast majority of my day-to-day shots.

A long reach is very often over valued. The quality of cheaper zoom lenses often leave a lot to be desired too.

With a 55-200/300, you won't be able to go wide angle - so you'd be limited at the other end! I have a 70-200mm which only comes out for planes/cars/wildlife/portraits.

That said, Canon have a decent 18-135mm lens, I think Nikon have something similar. You could sell the kit lens to get some funds towards the upgrade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

Can't get any closer. Its the zoo or a wildlife park or something far away. I guess I want a utility lens. I'm probably quoting the wrong length on the tamron. I just don't want to get some to 200mm and then say "crap its still too short".

As you have a very good camera, then I'd say to do yourself justice and budget a lot more for a really good 2nd-hand lens. The budget zooms are way too compromised.

I shoot Canon, so can't speak about Nikkor - but I'm sure someone will be along shortly that could recommend an equivalent to the Canon 70-200Lf4.

I'm generally not a fan of all purpose lenses, but this seems to have reasonable reviews.

I was more thinking of a secondhand Nikkor 70-200mm f/4.

• Advertisement

Am i missing something here. I spotted this Nikon 55 -200mm https://www.camera.ie/products/nikon-55-200mm-f4-5-6-g-vr-af-s-dx

Its €175 on this site but nearly €300 on others. Including Nikon's own. Seems like a bargain!

Might be worth a punt.

Advertisement