Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tenant not paying for services

Options
  • 10-11-2014 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks,

in a bit of a pickle here so any advice is much appreciated.

I currently look after a few properties for friends and family members, all of which are let to tenants. One of the properties is causing me a bit of heartache as gas has been disconnected and electricity will not last much longer. The tenant whose name is on the bill has absconded and left a €700+ bill for gas & leccy.

I contacted the provider to get some detail on monies owed and explained the situation. Basically, I asked would it be possible to get one of the other tenants to take the bill going forward, stating basically that the other guy has buggered off. They are saying that this is no problem but are insisting on arrears payment in full before this can happen.

If we opt to change supplier with other tenant taking control of the bills going forward, is it up to the existing provider to chase down arrears with the non-payer ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Did the other tenants live there when the bill was racked up? If so, why not get them to pay it? If not, you've got two choices: bite the bullet or chase the former tenant.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Did the other tenants live there when the bill was racked up? If so, why not get them to pay it? If not, you've got two choices: bite the bullet or chase the former tenant.
    No, from 4 currently, 3 are new, and the other is the non payer. Long story but very late in the day when I was informed and the yarn that past tenants were not paying up their share. I dont believe that myself as payments that he has claimed he has made throughout this year vs actual verified payments ( I got from Airtricity on a phone call ) don't tally.

So, surely the contract is between the tenant and the provider - feck all to do with me ? And therefor if one of the new tenants want to take on the bill, I can't expect them to clear arrears. If the provider is changed, and a new contract is initiated, will it be a clean slate ?

Has the non-payer moved out? Do you have any contact information for him? Do you have a security deposit?

Has the non-payer moved out? Do you have any contact information for him? Do you have a security deposit?

Yes to all the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

dodzy wrote: »

So, surely the contract is between the tenant and the provider - feck all to do with me ? And therefor if one of the new tenants want to take on the bill, I can't expect them to clear arrears. If the provider is changed, and a new contract is initiated, will it be a clean slate ?

Correct. There may be a reconnection charge but that's about it. You're not a debt collector for airtricity

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Aall you have to do about the Gas is get the supply reconnected with whoever you want to supply your gas and it is up to the other company to chase up any arrears with the former tenant!

You or the owner of the property or current tenants are not responsible for any bills left by the former tenant.

Get the gas turned back on and only pay for gas from the current reading on the meter!

Take a current reading from the ESB meter and maybe add a few (dozen) units for the time the current tenants have been there and only pay for electricity from that reading onwards.

Open a new electricity account with company/provider of your choosing and give them the meter reading as your start reading.

You or the curent tenants are not responsible for bills from the former tenants!

Yes to all the above.

Presumably the security deposit doesn't cover the full arrears then? Can you not just take a PRTB case against him?

I'm not entirely sure what the process is for the arrears but I should expect that the arrears are against the account and not the property, so they should chase him as the bill payer rather than you/current tenants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

One of the properties is causing me a bit of heartache as gas has been disconnected and electricity will not last much longer. The tenant whose name is on the bill has absconded and left a €700+ bill for gas & leccy.
    Because his name is on the bill he is solely responsible for payment!
    I contacted the provider to get some detail on monies owed and explained the situation. Basically, I asked would it be possible to get one of the other tenants to take the bill going forward, stating basically that the other guy has buggered off. They are saying that this is no problem but are insisting on arrears payment in full before this can happen.
    Tell the supplier that you nor the new tenants are responsible for any monies owed by the former tenant and that ye will not be paying arrears owed by another one of their customers under any circumstances! then tell the new tenants to open a new account in their own names with whatever provider they want giving the current meter reading from when they moved in(or a close estimate) as the start reading for their bills!
    If we opt to change supplier with other tenant taking control of the bills going forward, is it up to the existing provider to chase down arrears with the non-payer ?
    YES.

What should happen is that the new tenant opens a NEW account in their name!

They do not take over the old account as that account belongs to the former tenant and has arrears owing!

Foggy, clear as day, and thank you. A lot of your answers are what i suspected ( and hoped ).

Going to go Pre-pay for gas & leccy going forward with this particular property. I think it'll suit better.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I think pre pay would work out well for 4 people sharing, they'll just have to take it in turns putting in their top up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Had the same problem and went prepay with both

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Foggy, clear as day, and thank you. A lot of your answers are what i suspected ( and hoped ).

Going to go Pre-pay for gas & leccy going forward with this particular property. I think it'll suit better.

Thanks again.

Its up to the tenants which provider they use surely. Im not sure they would be happy to pay for more expensive electricity because it suits you better?

Advertisement