Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming Backlog

Options
  • 10-11-2014 4:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭

Lads, the Last of Us has ruined me.

I work 68 hours a week so don't have much time to game anyway but what little time I have is spent playing the last of us mp. I'm addicted to it and as a result I have a ps3 backlog of about 50 games.

I'm planning on getting a ps4 in the new year but I want to play all these games first.

How do you the good folk of boards deal with an ever growing backlog???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Luke92

Fakman87 wrote: »
    Lads, the Last of Us has ruined me.

I work 68 hours a week so don't have much time to game anyway but what little time I have is spent playing the last of us mp. I'm addicted to it and as a result I have a ps3 backlog of about 50 games.

I'm planning on getting a ps4 in the new year but I want to play all these games first.

How do you the good folk of boards deal with an ever growing backlog???

Move on man! You just have to start playing new games!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Are you having fun? if so, then carry on. my time is limited too, and with the likes of COD or Battlefield, its so easy to dump 100 hours plus into each. I often wonder about what I'm missing, but if you're having fun its fine - its your hobby at the end of the day, theres no right or wrong way to approach it.

I was enjoying destiny but the grind didn't outbalance the reward so I decided to call it quits. I'm currently getting through sunset overdrive and I dont want it to end.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,566 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

When I gave up WoW, I started going through Steam sales to see what games I missed on. Bought about 7-8 games in a sale and then ended up playing nothing but Dota2 for about 3 months.

Like others have said, if you're having fun, keep at it. Don't fix it if it ain't broke.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I find myself accruing more games by the week.
    Being an owner of a lot of systems, consoles and handhelds, I have a shed load of games I've then played only a little bit and a mountain yet to play.
    My compulsion to pick up carts and disks continues and so the problem will only get worse.
    So, the way to fix it is to just focus on something, one game, and finish it, assuming it's a single player title.
    Then move along.
    I find it a hard discipline myself to maintain tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,854 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

The normal reaction from gamers to a campaign that is 4-6 hours long is outrage but I'm thinking hey that's one I might be able to finish :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The normal reaction from gamers to a campaign that is 4-6 hours long is outrage but I'm thinking hey that's one I might be able to finish :)

As a guy who just finished the wonderful Kirby Triple Deluxe on the 3DS, a game I bought at launch back in mid May, I reckon you're right on the money there!
    I look at the likes of Skyrim on the shelf and feel myself wither inside... where the frak am I going to find 60/100 hours to pour into a game like that, brilliant and all that it is!
    Racing games are the worst, I don't think I've completed one since Mario Kart on the GBA!
    And before that it was Wipeout on the PS!
    I still love them and buy them :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

It's starting again , thought I'd have a clean slate on the next gen consoles, but the pile is growing by the week with the games with gold and other stuff I've picked up on sale.

Juggling Sunset Overdrive and Lords of the Fallen at the minute trying to get those done before the next batch of new games comes this week and went and got a few others that were on sale this week, have the Metro games sat on the shelf since they came out too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,566 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I look at the likes of Skyrim on the shelf and feel myself wither inside... where the frak am I going to find 60/100 hours to pour into a game like that, brilliant and all that it is!

Bought Skyrim over a year ago and only started playing it two months ago. Barely scratched the surface. At this rate, I'll still be at it throughout both the xmas and next summer steam sale

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,351 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Come back and moan to me about your backlog when your backloggery reminds you you've got 1000+ games not yet completed. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

All the uncharted series and Assassins creed games i still have to get through

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭Pedro Monscooch

It'd be fun to have a thread called "Help me clear my backlog". List out games you're most considering playing and the next poster picks the one to finish. I've Tomb Raider on xbox one, Bioshock Infinite, Walking Dead and Uncharted 2/3.

On one hand, I hope the Black Friday week sales lets me pick up Shadows Of Mordor, Sunset Overdrive for cheap but on the other hand, I don't want to feel that impulse to buy any more for a long time. Its a weird sickness needing the latest and greatest only to go straight to my backlog.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Greyfox

I find myself accruing more games by the week...So, the way to fix it is to just focus on something, one game, and finish it, assuming it's a single player title.
    Then move along.

Yeah sometimes I think I enjoy buying games on the cheap more then playing them. I find the one game at a time very very hard but it definitely works.

My new system is to list in order the ten games I most want to get through. I then try my best to go through the list in order but I MUST either complete or accept im done with 7 games from that list of 10 before I'm allowed to make another list of 10 games.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,949 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Dsheinem from Racketboy wrote this one for Kotaku, if anyone of you may find it useful.

http://kotaku.com/how-to-beat-400-games-in-4-5-years-1607296068

He's also notable for lecturing a course on video games, details of which can be found here:

http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=43360

It's not something I get hung up on any more. In general, if I give a game a crack and am not finding the time to return to it, there's probably a reason for that and I'll either stick on a trade-pile, leave it to rot on my Steam/PSN account or, if it's a potential grower, return to it when the mood better fits.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭jamescd

Bought Skyrim over a year ago and only started playing it two months ago. Barely scratched the surface. At this rate, I'll still be at it throughout both the xmas and next summer steam sale

Same here, bought it last year but only decided to start playing it tonight. Unfortunately, the fecking thing won't let me play. Keep getting "disc is unreadable", tried installing it to the HDD but it stops working at 50%. Should have checked if it was in working order as soon as I received it. Oh well, have plenty other games in the backlog that I can play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

I find myself accruing more games by the week.
    Being an owner of a lot of systems, consoles and handhelds, I have a shed load of games I've then played only a little bit and a mountain yet to play.
    My compulsion to pick up carts and disks continues and so the problem will only get worse.
    So, the way to fix it is to just focus on something, one game, and finish it, assuming it's a single player title.
    Then move along.

With last gen games going so cheap in the PSN sales, every week I'm constantly picking up titles I had a passing interest in but never picked up before. The backlog has grown pretty huge at this stage. I do the one game at a time thing because if I didn't I'd never get anywhere and I don't have the brainpower to constantly change between different control layouts for different games. Although when I finish a game I'll usually have a couple of days to a week picking away at 2 or 3 games before settling on which one I'm going to finish off. I've also decided November is going to be my game buying Lent and hold off accumulating any more games before the December sales kick off.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

My system is one new AAA title at a time (Alien Isolation at the moment, after finishing with Advanced warfare SP at the weekend) and when I'm on the couch watching tv with the missus I can play some Wii U Vc games (currently nearly done with Super Castlevania IV and ALTTP) and then chipping away at the xbox 360 and Ps plus / PS3 deals and backlog bit by bit (GTAV and Ass Creed 2 at the mo) The only game recenly where I sunk a lot of hours was Shadow of Mordor and hopefully Far Cry 4 next week is a similar timesink.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Come back and moan to me about your backlog when your backloggery reminds you you've got 1000+ games not yet completed. :(

So that would be me then :(

Games with Gold, although welcome, has been a huge backlog creator for me.

Currently have about 15 titles to get around to

• Registered Users Posts: 9,182 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Games with Gold, although welcome, has been a huge backlog creator for me.

Currently have about 15 titles to get around to
    Me too, I think I've played 2 of the 20+ I've got from Games with Gold, only one to completion. I blame my Xbox for being too noisy :p

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭p38

My backlog began with Elder Scrolls Oblivion I put so many hours into that game that I have never caught up with my gaming. Then came GTA cant rem which one then the Fallout's then red dead decided to ease back with some shorter games but started Mass effect's then Skyrim and now the bane of my existence Dark Souls. And its dark souls 1 if you are wondering have The Witcher 2 and Dark souls 2 on the shelf looking at me and cant wait for far cry 4 :D

• Advertisement

Me too, I think I've played 2 of the 20+ I've got from Games with Gold, only one to completion. I blame my Xbox for being too noisy :p

Turn on the 360 and, to the untrained ear, it sounds like someone has just started the vacuuming!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Fakman87

Lads, I've come up with a way of finally clearing the backlog. Play the game on the easiest difficulty.

I finished uncharted 1 and 2 this weekend and the only effect playing on easy has is that the bullet sponge enemies take a few less bullets to kill, so it really doesn't take much from the experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭romperstomper

completed Ico on ps3 after about a year. problem is games I really like (FTL, company of heroes, dark souls) I will happily replay my favourite sections (on expert). this takes about an hour each time and that's about all the time i would have in a day. i've no motivation to take on new games even though they look interesting (prison arch)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Fakman87 wrote: »
    Lads, I've come up with a way of finally clearing the backlog. Play the game on the easiest difficulty.

I finished uncharted 1 and 2 this weekend and the only effect playing on easy has is that the bullet sponge enemies take a few less bullets to kill, so it really doesn't take much from the experience.

Thats grand for some games, but others are simply way too easy on the lowest difficulty, you become an invincible killing machine, slaughtering your way from cutscene to cutscene. You may as well be watching a film. Unless a game is ridiculously hard, normal mode is the bare minimum you should be playing at.

I've stopped doing stupid side quests and collectibles for the most part.

collect 100 wotsits? - nope
    deliver 100 packages - not a chance

and unless the side quests involve primary characters or give a tangible reward beyond in-game money or cosmetic items, they can sod right off too.

Advertisement