Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ford Transit Timing belt

Options
  • 10-11-2014 6:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭

Wasn't sure whether to put this here, or in general motors, but here it goes......

I was thinking about maintenance jobs on the motorhome before next years trip, and thought the timing belt should probably be done. There's only 52k kilometers, but its 9 years old so I thought it should be considered for age reasons. However on phoning a mechanic I'm told that its a chain type timing belt, so replacement isn't an issue.

It's on a 2005 Ford Transit (135 T350), 2.4 litre, rear-wheel drive.

Just want to sound this out here - is it definitely correct that I don't need to consider timing belt replacement on my Ford?

thanks

Comments

Timing chains are good for 300k+ miles.
    Belts are only to keep mechanics in work. BMW changed their motors to belts for "noise reduction"

Best keep the oil level topped up for maintenence. The chain drawns lubrication from the top of the sump.

You'll hear the chain going long before it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭kelbal

Thanks Liam, good to know.

I'm @ 190 000miles on my orignal chain. ;)

Apparently they can stretch over time...wouldn't know much about it tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

If thats genuine mileage and its been services its extremely unlikely to have a problem, as liam says they usually get noisy before theres a problem.
    Timing chains are good for 300k+ miles.

Unfortunately the plastic bits won't last that mileage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEzZJwvVowc

Theres lots of famously ****ty chains like the ones renault put in the primera and almera, old nissan chain would have no issue to 300k miles, new renault chain 40-60k and it was knackered.

• Advertisement
Advertisement