Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

The ITV Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,799 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Delta2113 wrote: »
    I don't understand this fixation with Utv Ireland must only cover Irish stuff and how dare they show ITN News for example.

Now you are fantasising. I never suggested that.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

utv ireland website now have the ITN news special taking up the full 55 minutes before This Morning. Up to yesterday the website was listing Jeremy Kyle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭SPDUB

Just had the Ireland Live programme on and they seem to say ( I wasn't paying full attention to it ) that there would be some sort of coverage throughout the night for the Brexit results

Checked the Saorview EPG and it shows the ITV results programme as listed all night .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Delta2113

lertsnim wrote: »
    Now you are fantasising. I never suggested that.

I never suggested you did suggest that.

They still have a photo of Jeremy kyle for Friday morning beside referendum special on website - sloppy work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Delta2113 wrote: »
    They still have a photo of Jeremy kyle for Friday morning beside referendum special on website - sloppy work.

No, I always do that too, that's a picture of Nigel Farige

BBC Worldwide has lined up a slew of international sales for ITV’s series of Maigret adaptations starring Rowan Atkinson, TVWise has learned.
    :
    :
    :
    :
    The first two movies, Maigret Sets A Trap and Maigret’s Dead Man, have been sold to Channel One in Russia, NRK in Norway, TVNZ in New Zealand, RTE in Ireland, YLE in Finland and Prima TV in the Czech Republic, amongst others.

http://www.tvwise.co.uk/2016/06/bbc-worldwide-lines-international-sales-itvs-maigret/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

I gather that this is the very first time since UTV Ireland launched on 01/01/2015 that the channel will run with an itv News branded programme produced by ITN covering the UK Referendum on the EU from 10:30pm tonight when UTV Ireland's nightly news programme: Ireland Live at Ten makes way 30 minutes earlier for a special marathon length broadcast running through the night.

I just had a quick glance at the national broadcaster, RTÉ.ie website and it would seem that RTÉ they will just run with their usual Primetime slot at 9:35pm followed by People Vs OJ Simpson at 10:15pm and New Tricks at 11:05pm and Oireachtas Report at 00:05am. One would have thought that RTÉ would have reflected such a major news story with much better coverage given the massive implications the final result would have on Ireland especially given our shared border with Northern Ireland. Whatever the final result, the vote results will have a significant impact and RTÉ seem to be asleep at the wheel with the coverage scheduled for such a huge story that will have major economic & political repercussions felt here whatever the final outcome

Right now, it seems TV3 have an extended Tonight with Vincent Browne Brexit Special at 11:00pm and Ireland Live at Ten giving way to itv News from ITN in London over on UTV Ireland but RTÉ One TV switches off it's news & current affairs shortly after 10pm just when the UK polls close while the other main broadcasters here in the Republic commence coverage. Bizarre scheduling from RTÉ when you find the commercial independent channels regarding it as too important to ignore.

I would have to give credit to both UTV Ireland and TV3 for being more on the ball than RTÉ. I seriously wonder what exactly is going on at RTÉ at times...even their Euro 2016 studio panel looked tired and almost disappointed after that fantastic result in the Italy v Republic of Ireland match last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭political analyst

I gather that this is the very first time since UTV Ireland launched on 01/01/2015 that the channel will run with an itv News branded programme produced by ITN covering the UK Referendum on the EU from 10:30pm tonight when UTV Ireland's nightly news programme: Ireland Live at Ten makes way 30 minutes earlier for a special marathon length broadcast running through the night.

I just had a quick glance at the national broadcaster, RTÉ.ie website and it would seem that RTÉ they will just run with their usual Primetime slot at 9:35pm followed by People Vs OJ Simpson at 10:15pm and New Tricks at 11:05pm and Oireachtas Report at 00:05am. One would have thought that RTÉ would have reflected such a major news story with much better coverage given the massive implications the final result would have on Ireland especially given our shared border with Northern Ireland. Whatever the final result, the vote results will have a significant impact and RTÉ seem to be asleep at the wheel with the coverage scheduled for such a huge story that will have major economic & political repercussions felt here whatever the final outcome

Right now, it seems TV3 have an extended Tonight with Vincent Browne Brexit Special at 11:00pm and Ireland Live at Ten giving way to itv News from ITN in London over on UTV Ireland but RTÉ One TV switches off it's news & current affairs shortly after 10pm just when the UK polls close while the other main broadcasters here in the Republic commence coverage. Bizarre scheduling from RTÉ when you find the commercial independent channels regarding it as too important to ignore.

I would have to give credit to both UTV Ireland and TV3 for being more on the ball than RTÉ. I seriously wonder what exactly is going on at RTÉ at times...even their Euro 2016 studio panel looked tired and almost disappointed after that fantastic result in the Italy v Republic of Ireland match last night.

RTÉ News Now probably will have the latest referendum developments on its overnight Euronews simulcast and it is estimated that the result will be announced at some time between 7 and 8 in the morning. Therefore, Morning Ireland will have the result.

I wonder did ITV plc have to pay ITN extra to be able to simulcast the overnight coverage on UTV Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

I wonder did ITV plc have to pay ITN extra to be able to simulcast the overnight coverage on UTV Ireland.

I do not know exactly as UTV Ireland is owned and operated by ITV plc's subsidiary UTV Ireland Ltd.

Perhaps RTÉ News Now will carry it's usual overnight programming including the simulcast of euronews but I also think RTÉ One should be giving this matter the required attention that one would expect from our national public service broadcaster.

If the UK Referendum Poll was about a subject that had zero implications for Ireland, I would say something but both sides seem to be agreed about one thing, countries like Ireland will be affected big time whatever the final result. The European Union is unlikely to continue exactly in the same way even if there is a vote to Remain IN if the predictions about it being too close to call prove to be accurate after polling closes tonight at 10pm. UTV Ireland and TV3 are showing up RTÉ in the manner they are treating this major news coverage tonight.

http://www.rte.ie/about/en/press-office/press-releases/2016/0621/797160-rte-brexit-referendum-coverage/

RTÉ Radio 1's Morning Ireland live from London on Thursday morning, co-presented by Cathal MacCoille
    Morning Ireland will present a special extended programme on RTÉ Radio 1 from 6.00am on Friday morning from London, Belfast and Dublin studios.

RTÉ News Now will also simulcast the specially extended Morning Ireland programme from 6.00am.

RTÉ Radio's 1 coverage will continue on Today With Sean O'Rourke (from 10.00am) and Drivetime (from 4:30pm) regarding all that is unfolding on Brexit.

RTÉ Raidió na Gaeltachta's Political Editor Mícheál Ó Leidhin will be reporting from London throughout the day on Thursday and Friday, starting with Adhmhaidin at 8am

RTÉ's Six One News will be co-presented live from Westminster

RTÉ One's Prime Time will be on air at 10.00pm on Thursday as the polls close and will go live to London for reports on what the latest indications will be and possible exit polls revealed.

RTÉ One will broadcast a special RTÉ News television bulletin at 9.00am on Friday morning, featuring updates on count results.

Nuacht RTÉ will have dedicated reporters in London, Edinburgh and Belfast for results and reaction from accross the UK on their 5.00pm, 5.40pm and 7.00pm (TG4) bulletins.

Elmo wrote: »
    RTÉ One's Prime Time will be on air at 10.00pm on Thursday as the polls close and will go live to London for reports on what the latest indications will be and possible exit polls revealed.
    Tom Bradby said there won't be an exit poll (By the way, tonight is his first appearance on UTV Ireland).

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

To be fair, the first three hours or so of the referendum results shows are likely to be just turnout reports and talking heads. First actual results won't come till well after 1am or later. So I can understand RTE's reluctance to run with an all night show in the circumstances. There's only one question (albeit a big question) here, there aren't all the constituency stories you get on election night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭SPDUB

icdg wrote: »
    To be fair, the first three hours or so of the referendum results shows are likely to be just turnout reports and talking heads. First actual results won't come till well after 1am or later. So I can understand RTE's reluctance to run with an all night show in the circumstances. There's only one question (albeit a big question) here, there aren't all the constituency stories you get on election night.

While I can understand the decision to not do a programme themselves you have to wonder why the are not taking BBC News on TV from 1am or the world service on Radio 1 from 2am ( we'll probably have the biazzre situation of a repeat of Sean O Rourke at 230am talking about results as actual results come in )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭keps

Tom Bradby said there won't be an exit poll (By the way, tonight is his first appearance on UTV Ireland).

The usual exit poll commissioned y BBC/ITV will not be carried out - unreliability v expense.

However some of the larger financial institutions are conducting their own exit polls to give them a headsup to help their dealing teams

The odds for Remain on the Betfair exchange( a type of dealing room) have moved from 4/1on this morning to 8/1 on now - with 20m bet today alone

Edit a few minutes later and the odds are now 18/1ON

It's like we have our old Utv back and even the D.O.G. in the corner is now removed temporarily. I hope to see the return of Itv News on a more permanent basis and they should show Peston on Sunday.

The DOG came back after 11 - incidentally UTV NI didn't remove its.

icdg wrote: »
    The DOG came back after 11 - incidentally UTV NI didn't remove its.

- So in other word's they should have kept it on -it was a very amateurish lead in as well.

UTV Ireland will stick with Brexit coverage until 1:30pm following ITV's decision to rip up its schedule.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Are there any adverts inbetween the news coverage?

There weren't last night.

iseegirls wrote: »
    Are there any adverts inbetween the news coverage?

There was a few ad breaks,not as many as it would have been in their usual schedule.The coverage of the Referendum was excellent,better than the BBC and Sky.I always liked the ITN news coverage,hope that UTV Ireland will broadcast more from them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,518 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Elmo wrote: »
    http://www.rte.ie/about/en/press-office/press-releases/2016/0621/797160-rte-brexit-referendum-coverage/

The reason why there was no exit poll done for this referendum by BBC/SKY/ITV is because it is a rare event for the UK to even hold a referendum for it's own people. This is the very 1st time that the UK have held a referendum on EU Membership that has since changed it's status of it's own membership of the EU since the foundation of it's state. There is no other EU referendum poll to even compare a previous result.

YouGov was the only organisation I know of that had an opinion poll on Brexit through the night.

Surprisingly; they were just about correct with their own result compared to the final one that was put out this morning to decide Britain's fate.

BBC Worldwide has lined up a slew of international sales for ITV’s series of Maigret adaptations starring Rowan Atkinson, TVWise has learned.
    :
    :
    :
    :
    The first two movies, Maigret Sets A Trap and Maigret’s Dead Man, have been sold to Channel One in Russia, NRK in Norway, TVNZ in New Zealand, RTE in Ireland, YLE in Finland and Prima TV in the Czech Republic, amongst others.

http://www.tvwise.co.uk/2016/06/bbc-worldwide-lines-international-sales-itvs-maigret/

Just re-posting this as it seems to have gone off topic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Come to think of it do UTV Ireland cater for the 18-34 male audience?

I dont watch the soaps.

I dont watch Love Island.

I dont watch Wee Daniel & Majella and I dont watch the farmer programmes.

might be off topic but former UTV Ireland/UTV owners have been sold to News Corp. http://www.rte.ie/news/business/2016/0630/799258-newscorp/

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭lgs 4

Guys this thread keeps going around in circles and getting nowhere .Shut down UTV Ireland give mux spot to QVC HD.

lgs 4 wrote: »
    Guys this topic is going nowhere if people want good programming let C4 or Canal + run UTV Ireland

Coming perilously close to trolling, lgs4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Slightly OT - Rupert Murdoch’s News Corp buys former UTV radio stations Wireless Group for £220m

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/media-and-marketing/rupert-murdoch-s-news-corp-buys-former-utv-radio-stations-1.2705420

Advertisement