Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

The ITV Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

Channel 4 targets the Republic audience. So why isn't ITV plc willing to do the same?

Film4 (Irish Adverts) launched during the week on Sky, so Ch4 must see some benefit to launch Irish versions of their channels

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

icdg wrote: »
    I looked at that Business Post article and there's nothing really new in it save a mention that it might be the whole of ITV that Liberty is interested in, which would put a different spin on things.

This big time, as I was reading through the past few posts I was thinking exactly this!

John Malones Liberty Global is a massive pan European company and the earlier purchase of TV3 was very out of character with the rest of the LGI operations do. I definitely didn't think it was something that local Virgin Media Management would be allowed to do without direction from John himself.

So I suspect it was the first, perhaps trial step for LGI to start buying up TV networks and content producers across Europe.

It makes an awful lot of sense for LGI to try and buy ITV. LGI probably doesn't want to be left behind as a simple broadband pipe, while Sky, BT, Netflix, etc. all own major media properties. Buying ITV would make them a signifcant content provider and help them balance out Sky's content strength and allow them to have a stronger negotiating hand when negotiating fees for carrying Sky Sports, etc.

The downside of any such purchase is what happens to ITV's carriage on Freeview and Freesat. Virgin Media has been very critical of Freeview Play. I'm sure they will want to lock behind a pay wall as much as they would be left to get away with.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

I don't think in any event that ITV - or the ITV Network, at any rate - would go behind a paywall. It is still, despite all of the mistakes it made during the 2000s, still the biggest free to air commercial TV channel in the UK, by some distance. Under its previous management it made some noises about giving up that status, but I think all talk of that is gone, and it's now happy to stick with its PSB obligations in return for that key 103 slot on EPGs. (Much like TV3 really).

If ITV is bought by Liberty (and that talk seems to be very vague at the moment), I'd imagine TV3 would become part of the ITV business much as Virgin Media in Ireland now reports into Virgin Media UK rather than Amsterdam. It would be interesting to see what would happen then. Make no mistake though this would be an extremely controversial takeover. (Ironically though I think it would probably save the BBC from any future threats, in the interests of there being at least one strong British owned player, and possibly C4 too).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

fairly certain now UTV Ireland will be sold, ITV have done nothing with the channel since the buyout and don't appear to have any plans for it.

ITV should try and launch Irish ad versions of ITV1-4 but perhaps there is too many rights issues to make it worthwhile?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Gonzo wrote: »
    fairly certain now UTV Ireland will be sold, ITV have done nothing with the channel since the buyout and don't appear to have any plans for it.

ITV should try and launch Irish ad versions of ITV1-4 but perhaps there is too many rights issues to make it worthwhile?

No real reason why ITV 2 - 4 can't be supported on an ITV Ireland. I think ITV don't want to explain that they are only available on Pay in RoI. You'd imagine that the other ITV set of channels have at least 4% share, surely getting them on Sky and the +1's on virgin media with opt-out ads would help them. They could always have an ITVhub on ITV Ireland at night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Utv Ireland will be sold -can't see Liberty Global buying full Itv for the foreseeable future if at all.

Delta2113 wrote: »
    Utv Ireland will be sold -can't see Liberty Global buying full Itv for the foreseeable future if at all.

The question is are the media taking it out of context. It seems as if Liberty are considering buying ITV in full rather than an actual interest in UTV Ireland.

The RoI market was never big enough for both.

Absolute and total bull**** (no offence). What we have in Ireland is a lack of good policy in broadcasting and broadcasters in the TV sector that don't have a clue what they are doing.

In 2001 TV3, RTÉ2 and UTV all had an audience share of 10% each. TV3 now has nearly 8% mainly down to sport, RTÉ2 nearly has 7% mainly down to sport and UTV nearly has 6% mainly down to soaps.

Irish TV Broadcasters have just about 45% of the total audience. 25% of the audience watch a range of TV channels that sell advertising into the Irish market, Irish TV has failed to branch into this model of TV, allow for foreign braoadcasters to use their fragmented UK channels be strong in the Irish market.

A futher 30% of the audience watch channels that don't sell advertising into the Irish market. This includes BBC channels that don't carry advertising (BBC1 and 2 account for 5% of this audience). Leaving 25% between major channels that have a footing in the Irish Market. And as pointed out Channel 4 will begin to sell advertising on Film Four later this month, across 5 channels it has a market share of 3% without Film Four and its plus 1. in Meantime UKTV has over taken or equals Channel5's market share across 20 channels (they currenly only sell advertising to the RoI market on 4 of those channels). That's not to mention ITV channels, Channel 5 (though the remain the most disinterested) and other Sky channels (all well known brands in the RoI market).

Now I am not suggesting that we "force" people to watch Irish channels, but Irish Channels have really done nothing to increase their audience shares over the last year and a half.

RTÉ ONE is a difficult channel to change and its unlikely that you'd want to.
    RTÉ2 has huge scope, the most they did was to schedule friends and commission "consturcted" factual programming
    TV3's big decision was increase its daytime output but its been ineffectual in increase its audience, Red Rock the most courageous part of their schedule is swamped with Daytime TV crap.
    UTV Ireland failed to utilise its Radio stations around the country or ITV news for international reports, and to cross promote UTV Ireland on their radio stations instead opting to use Communicorp for national news rather than their new Ireland Live while relying purely on ITV soaps.
    3e has done nothing and is the only one to get away with sitting still though its audience is slow decreasing back

This along with the lack of niche channels, while focusing on pointless +1 services.

No policy and lack off risk taking has cause Irish TV channels to shed viewers. It failed to acknowledge Digital Terrestrial TV, Saorview was badly set up by DCERN. IMO TV3 complained too much, with little movement on new channels. RTÉ had plans to use its NTL windfall for DTT but seemed to be stopped. While even the Oireachtas has had difficult getting on the air.

No the market is not too small the market and the stakeholders in the market failed to ultimately use any opportunities they had over they years causing more and more viewers to switch to fragmented channels that provide no jobs and little in terms of production skills etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

It does not bode well for UTVIRL by all accounts if true. I would like to see competition in the market but it now looks as if TV3/Liberty will be the only domestic alternative to RTE. Even worse if you are on Virgin you will loose most if not all of the ITV dramas unless some agreement can be reached if UTVIRL is closed following its purchase.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭political analyst

It does not bode well for UTVIRL by all accounts if true. I would like to see competition in the market but it now looks as if TV3/Liberty will be the only domestic alternative to RTE. Even worse if you are on Virgin you will loose most if not all of the ITV dramas unless some agreement can be reached if UTVIRL is closed following its purchase.
    If TV3 gets the Republic rights to ITV Studios productions then I don't see how drama produced by ITV Studios wouldn't be broadcast on TV3.

If TV3 gets the Republic rights to ITV Studios productions then I don't see how drama produced by ITV Studios wouldn't be broadcast on TV3.

You'd think but they had the same rights as UTV Ireland and I'd say as soon as Heartbeat was axed they drop almost all ITV Drama. This is why keeping UTV Ireland as an extra channel would be important.

3more
    3star
    3we can't come up with something interest this is actually ITV3

their track record for when they had ITV programming rights was awful. apart from corrie and emmerdale they rarely showed any major itv studios dramas.

their track record for when they had ITV programming rights was awful. apart from corrie and emmerdale they rarely showed any major itv studios dramas.
    That might change if UTV Ireland disappears, given that TV3 would have exclusive rights to ITV Studios content on Virgin Ireland and the Sky Ireland EPG. Bear in mind that TV3 broadcast non-ITV Studios productions Downton Abbey and Broadchurch.

Elmo wrote: »
    Absolute and total bull**** (no offence).

None taken. :)
    What we have in Ireland is a lack of good policy in broadcasting and broadcasters in the TV sector that don't have a clue what they are doing.

In 2001 TV3, RTÉ2 and UTV all had an audience share of 10% each. TV3 now has nearly 8% mainly down to sport, RTÉ2 nearly has 7% mainly down to sport and UTV nearly has 6% mainly down to soaps.

Irish TV Broadcasters have just about 45% of the total audience. 25% of the audience watch a range of TV channels that sell advertising into the Irish market, Irish TV has failed to branch into this model of TV, allow for foreign braoadcasters to use their fragmented UK channels be strong in the Irish market.

A futher 30% of the audience watch channels that don't sell advertising into the Irish market. This includes BBC channels that don't carry advertising (BBC1 and 2 account for 5% of this audience). Leaving 25% between major channels that have a footing in the Irish Market. And as pointed out Channel 4 will begin to sell advertising on Film Four later this month, across 5 channels it has a market share of 3% without Film Four and its plus 1. in Meantime UKTV has over taken or equals Channel5's market share across 20 channels (they currenly only sell advertising to the RoI market on 4 of those channels). That's not to mention ITV channels, Channel 5 (though the remain the most disinterested) and other Sky channels (all well known brands in the RoI market).

Now I am not suggesting that we "force" people to watch Irish channels, but Irish Channels have really done nothing to increase their audience shares over the last year and a half.

RTÉ ONE is a difficult channel to change and its unlikely that you'd want to.
    RTÉ2 has huge scope, the most they did was to schedule friends and commission "consturcted" factual programming
    TV3's big decision was increase its daytime output but its been ineffectual in increase its audience, Red Rock the most courageous part of their schedule is swamped with Daytime TV crap.
    UTV Ireland failed to utilise its Radio stations around the country or ITV news for international reports, and to cross promote UTV Ireland on their radio stations instead opting to use Communicorp for national news rather than their new Ireland Live while relying purely on ITV soaps.
    3e has done nothing and is the only one to get away with sitting still though its audience is slow decreasing back

This along with the lack of niche channels, while focusing on pointless +1 services.

No policy and lack off risk taking has cause Irish TV channels to shed viewers. It failed to acknowledge Digital Terrestrial TV, Saorview was badly set up by DCERN. IMO TV3 complained too much, with little movement on new channels. RTÉ had plans to use its NTL windfall for DTT but seemed to be stopped. While even the Oireachtas has had difficult getting on the air.

No the market is not too small the market and the stakeholders in the market failed to ultimately use any opportunities they had over they years causing more and more viewers to switch to fragmented channels that provide no jobs and little in terms of production skills etc.

Its just a subjective observation I made regarding the paucity of programming on TV3 & UTVI that lead me to comment as I did. However its your bit in bold that I'm most annoyed about and that we have to put up with watching SD versions of TV3 & others on Saorview. Its not even proper SD! Its utter grotvision and the lot of them should be ashamed of themselves for foisting it on us. I point blank refuse to watch any sporting event on TV3, TG4 etc when its available in HD on BBC or ITV or S4C. The current Euro 2016 championships being a case in point. Many more will realise this when the 6 Nations goes to TV3 and its HD version is only available behind a paywall.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,841 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

None taken. :)

Its just a subjective observation I made regarding the paucity of programming on TV3 & UTVI that lead me to comment as I did. However its your bit in bold that I'm most annoyed about and that we have to put up with watching SD versions of TV3 & others on Saorview. Its not even proper SD! Its utter grotvision and the lot of them should be ashamed of themselves for foisting it on us. I point blank refuse to watch any sporting event on TV3, TG4 etc when its available in HD on BBC or ITV or S4C. The current Euro 2016 championships being a case in point. Many more will realise this when the 6 Nations goes to TV3 and its HD version is only available behind a paywall.

Surely 2RN could insist on SD being 720 by 576 i - that would elevate the PQ to such that it could be watchable while having little effect on the transmission charges.

It is Comreg and BAI that need to pull their respective fingers out. It is over six years since Minister Carey banjaxed 2RN, RTE, and Saorview and not one of the three subsequent Ministers fixed it.

UTV anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭iseegirls

I still think that there were certain packages that TV3 got from ITV Studios. They had the 'soap' and 'entertainment' package throughout the contract. The 'drama' package looks like it was dropped around 2008. They did show a lot of dramas before this like Cold Feet, Bad Girls, A Touch of Frost, Lewis and Footballers Wives.

I guess they had to pull back from showing too much ITV shows - it was afterall supposed to be an Irish station, and when guys like Ben Frow came in, they invested more money into shows like The Apprentice and their daytime offerings.

I really hope the ITV dramas are still accessible to Irish Sky viewers (series linked) if the UTV Ireland sale goes ahead.Hope they will be on whoever takes up the ITV content,some good stuff there like Unforgotten and Marcella, looking forward to the new Cold Feet series too!

zorro2566 wrote: »
    I really hope the ITV dramas are still accessible to Irish Sky viewers (series linked) if the UTV Ireland sale goes ahead.Hope they will be on whoever takes up the ITV content,some good stuff there like Unforgotten and Marcella, looking forward to the new Cold Feet series too!

IMO if TV3 do buy UTV Ireland they should brand it 3encore and provide new and classic dramas from ITV on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Elmo wrote: »
    IMO if TV3 do buy UTV Ireland they should brand it 3encore and provide new and classic dramas from ITV on it.

Probably what will happen but with the station removed from saorview and behind a paywall.

yes I doubt they would let it be FTA. ITV encore in the UK is behind a sky paywall.

iseegirls wrote: »
    I still think that there were certain packages that TV3 got from ITV Studios. They had the 'soap' and 'entertainment' package throughout the contract. The 'drama' package looks like it was dropped around 2008. They did show a lot of dramas before this like Cold Feet, Bad Girls, A Touch of Frost, Lewis and Footballers Wives.

I guess they had to pull back from showing too much ITV shows - it was afterall supposed to be an Irish station, and when guys like Ben Frow came in, they invested more money into shows like The Apprentice and their daytime offerings.

I'm just saying this as an aside - The Apprentice on TV3 was crap.

The first 2 weren't bad, after that the low production values dropped considerably up to the Celebrity Version.

Probably what will happen but with the station removed from saorview and behind a paywall.

I would love that and wouldnt mind paying a bit more for it! Pity we cant get ITV Encore here!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,841 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

It was terrible.

It was one long advertorial plugging the sponsor of the week to an incredible extent, and then they went to an ad break with even more adverts from the sponsor. The worst was the Cadbury one.

Even then, it was poor production values and full of wannabe on tv types who were chosen because they were particularly irritating and loud of mouth but short on brains.

Typical TV3 programme then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 303 ✭✭deanh

Jacqui Lavin's face was never going to work in high definition, not to mention her lack of business accumen.

Again, UTV anyone!

UTV Media (now Wireless Group) did UPC (now Virgin Media Ireland) customers a huge disservice by replacing UTV NI with UTV I. Now, it appears that those customers will lose UTV I. That would mean yet a further reduction in choice - though most of them have probably already given up on UTV I anyway.

Why didn't Michael Wilson give any thought to the historical relationship between the UTV NI news team and ITN?

The following report from ITN and former UTV journalist John Irvine about the commemorations of the start of World War One on the island of Ireland is an example of that relationship.

http://www.itv.com/news/2014-07-23/a-century-in-the-making-the-irish-republics-peace-with-ww1/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

UTV to be sold to Virgin confirmed

Advertisement