Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

The ITV Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Looks like we will get another HD channel on 105 at least - hopefully this will mean TV3 gets a massive overhaul and 3e becomes a decent channel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Does the thread title now need to change toThe ITV, UTV, UTV Ireland, TV3 & Virgin media Thread 😃

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭iseegirls

irishfeen wrote: »
    Looks like we will get another HD channel on 105 at least - hopefully this will mean TV3 gets a massive overhaul and 3e becomes a decent channel.

Couldn't see much of an overhaul to TV3. The soaps will replace the news @ 8 and The Seven O'Clock Show, which will prob move back to Late Lunch Live. The soaps will clog up the afternoon weekends with omnibus editions. Jeremy Kyle back in at 10am.

If or when the soaps do come to TV3 - it will give Red Rock a great boost - which is a good thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

10m to close it down would seem the best move to me, rights to the soaps, keep more of the viewers and advertising revenue

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Ten year programme supply deal.

TV3 extracting what in any other circumstances would be a crazy commitment from ITV, but you can understand their motive given what happened.

Presumably UTV Ireland will now be fairly quickly closed down, once TV3 can incorporate the soaps back into their line up. A shame that it had to end this way.

Edit: has to clear CPCC and other legal requirements first, so UTV Ireland could keep going for a few months yet

• Advertisement

Graham Norton show, Emmerdale, Coronation Street, Jonathan Ross, I'm a Celeb etc all returning ... We might not like all that but it's certainly a good day for TV3 with regards ratings potential.

Also interesting to note that Virgin now have 103, 105, 116 & 117 on the Sky EPG which is very lucrative for further expansion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Badly handled all round from UTV.

I would suggest that UTV Ireland will remain as an extra channel, and TV3 will take on the soaps.

Elmo wrote: »
    Badly handled all round from UTV.

I would suggest that UTV Ireland will remain as an extra channel, and TV3 will take on the soaps.
    I think it's almost certain that it will become part of the "3" family .. Still think we could see the channels be rebranded to "Virgin" eventually.

irishfeen wrote: »
    I think it's almost certain that it will become part of the "3" family .. Still think we could see the channels be rebranded to "Virgin" eventually.

If Virgin are planning to keep all channels, then yes a rebrand is required. But if they plan to sell down the road it will retain 3 branding.

http://www.rte.ie/news/business/2016/0711/801744-virgin-media-utv-ireland/
    Virgin Media CEO Tony Hanway said the investment "demonstrates our commitment to provide great entertainment for Irish viewers and adds Ireland's newest TV channel to our existing portfolio which includes TV3 and 3e."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Delta2113

As I mentioned before and just reading a press release -it would not surprise me if Virgin Media uses the spare capacity of news and sports team's etc. and in time launches a new station which would be carried in Ireland on various operators but more importantly exclusively on Virgin Media in the UK.

It would be a bold move but it could happen and happen fairly quickly once deal gets approval.

Virgin Media UK already intend to make content and this could work.

Maybe just maybe hundreds of job's wont be lost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭galtee boy

So Saorview will be loosing UTV Ireland and gaining Irish TV, that will do wonders for the sale of the Saorview Connect box, if it ever sees the light of day. This news also means we will never see UTV NI back on Virgin or making an appearance on Sky, as Virgin will want all the ITV programming from that 10 year deal to be viewable only on TV3 in ROI. Thank God for free to air satellite and Freesat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭Joo0

The UTV Ireland studio would be perfect for news programming, leaving the other studies free for other live programming?

Joo0 wrote: »
    The UTV Ireland studio would be perfect for news programming, leaving the other studies free for other live programming?

Yes hopefully TV3 will use Ireland Live studios, not just from an aesthetic point of view but also because it is in the City Centre. Could TV3 and Virgin move to UTV Ireland HQ?

galtee boy wrote: »
    So Saorview will be loosing UTV Ireland and gaining Irish TV, that will do wonders for the sale of the Saorview Connect box, if it ever sees the light of day. This news also means we will never see UTV NI back on Virgin or making an appearance on Sky, as Virgin will want all the ITV programming from that 10 year deal to be viewable only on TV3 in ROI. Thank God for free to air satellite and Freesat.

No mention that UTV Ireland is to close or move from Saorview. IMO UTV Ireland will move to channel 106, with 3e replacing Eir Sport on Virgin. They will also try move UTV Ireland on the Sky EPG IMO.

UTV Ireland will be used by TV3 for non-preforming ITV studio programming.

Joo0 wrote: »

- Could easily do a new U.K. focused news,sports from here and Virgin Media U.K. could have it's own tv channel rather than buying the rest of Itv or Channel 5.

You could do a sports news channel from here -possibilities are endless.

Elmo wrote: »
    No mention that UTV Ireland is to close or move from Saorview. IMO UTV Ireland will move to channel 106, with 3e replacing Eir Sport on Virgin. They will also try move UTV Ireland on the Sky EPG IMO.

UTV Ireland will be used by TV3 for non-preforming ITV studio programming.

If they don't close down UTVI, I would guess it will become an "ITV2" type channel, but isn't 3e that type of channel already ? I can't see where they will get decent programming to keep TV3, 3e and UTVI going, but I suppose TV3 will get priority and the other two will be filled with brain dead drivel.

galtee boy wrote: »
    If they don't close down UTVI, I would guess it will become an "ITV2" type channel, but isn't 3e that type of channel already ? I can't see where they will get decent programming to keep TV3, 3e and UTVI going, but I suppose TV3 will get priority and the other two will be filled with brain dead drivel.
    There is plenty in the ITV studio archive they could use to make 3 very decent channels - plenty of sport up for grabs too if they want it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

This is very dissapointing but not surprising, it was clear ITV had no interest in UTV Ireland, they really just wanted the UTV channel up north.

I guess this most likely will mean the close down of UTV Ireland and it is now highly unlikely that ITV and its other channels will ever appear on Sky in Ireland. Also Virgin Media are unlikely to ever get UTV Northern Ireland back.

Gonzo wrote: »
    This is very dissapointing but not surprising, it was clear ITV had no interest in UTV Ireland, they really just wanted the UTV channel up north.

I guess this most likely will mean the close down of UTV Ireland and it is now highly unlikely that ITV and its other channels will ever appear on Sky in Ireland. Also Virgin Media are unlikely to ever get UTV Northern Ireland back.

They may keep UTVI going, though a name change is surely on the cards, but you can forget about UTV NI ever coming back to Virgin or appearing on Sky. Why would Virgin want people watching Emmerdale, Im a Celebrity etc on UTV NI and take viewers away from TV3 which they own ?

Delta2113 wrote: »
    - Could easily do a new U.K. focused news,sports from here and Virgin Media U.K. could have it's own tv channel rather than buying the rest of Itv or Channel 5.

You could do a sports news channel from here -possibilities are endless.

We are back to DTT type suggestions for Irish TV channels.

I think and this is me being my usual pessimistic self.

UTV Ireland will rebrand as 3U. Coro St and Emmers will move to TV3. If they keep The 7 O'Clock Show it will move to 3U, as part of a more female channel or some such non-sense, which will included the current line up of ITV daytime programmes and prime time Dramas. 3e will become more and more like a repeat of both TV3 and 3U.

TV3, 3e and 3U will all see a decrease in audience from 16% down to 12%.

You might get 3U +1 on Virgin Media.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

disappointing all right. Must be the worst handled launch of a tv channel in years by the UTV management. A bargain buy for Virgin and back to 12 - 15% audience share in a couple of years time probably for the 3 network.

No way Utv Northern Ireland is coming back. No way will you have news on TV3 and Utv Ireland at the same time coming from 2 separate news team's.

Will they just get rid of Utv Ireland staff? Will they cherry pick and maybe get rid of some TV3 staff?

The best outcome for everyone would be that they use Utv Ireland as a 'back office' to launch a new Virgin Media U.K. station. it would be totally U.K. focused -maybe even have newsreaders saying our prime minister etc. They could do opt outs of course.

No word if they will have Loose Woman, this morning etc.

disappointing all right. Must be the worst handled launch of a tv channel in years by the UTV management. A bargain buy for Virgin and back to 12 - 15% audience share in a couple of years time probably for the 3 network.

It will decrease. ITV management have done the best out of this. A buyer unwilling to buy its programmes made to come running back as soon as their competition is up for grabs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭patrickmooney

As Virgin carry ITV2/3/4 could they strike a deal to bring back ITV(1) but handle it the way they do ITV4, block when TV3 have the rights etc. I really hope we don't lose any of the ITVs.

As Virgin carry ITV2/3/4 could they strike a deal to bring back ITV(1) but handle it the way they do ITV4, block when TV3 have the rights etc. I really hope we don't lose any of the ITVs.

You think that Virgin/ITV would just get TV3 to sell advertising on these channels.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

10million for UTV Ireland and 10 years of ITV content! An absolute bargain for Virgin.

Some predictions:

- I don't think they will close UTVI, why close it down and give up such valuable EPG slots when you have so much content available from ITV. ITV has enough content to fill 5 channels, I see no reason why they can't fill 3 channels.

- They may well rename it however, I like Elmo's name 3u

- There will certainly be merging of the two operations and jobs loses, etc. They certainly won't be maintaining two separate news teams, etc.

- No chance of UTV Northern Ireland returning to Virgin.

- Much less likely ITV officially on Sky now.

- Risk that ITV channels will now be removed from Virgin and pretty much all pay TV platforms in Ireland.

- I suspect they will be very slow to do TV3/3e/UTVI in HD on Saorview, why strengthen a free competitor?

I think Saorview will be a major loser in all this. I think the regulators should make TV3/3e/UTVI in HD on Saorview a condition of the purchase, otherwise Saorview will continue to shrink.

If you leave out profits for a minute for each company and caring for the viewer marketing nonsense etc. It would make more sense for Itv to have bought TV3 and then have a proper Itv Ireland.

If most viewers had there way I would imagine they would want back Utv Northern Ireland or even better have Itv London.

I don't like people making decision's here saying I can't have Peston on Sunday, News at Ten etc.

Imagine if BBC decided on a BBC Republic of Ireland and stripped out programmes. No thanks It's fine the way it is.

The removal of ITV2,3 and 4 from Virgin platform I would not rule out. I wonder would Virgin Media take on Eir Sports and launch a sports channel.

BT Sports could really throw a spanner in the works when the current deal runs out with Eir.

bk wrote: »
    10million for UTV Ireland and 10 years of ITV content! An absolute bargain for Virgin.

Some predictions:

- I don't think they will close UTVI, why close it down and give up such valuable EPG slots when you have so much content available from ITV. ITV has enough content to fill 5 channels, I see no reason why they can't fill 3 channels.

- They may well rename it however, I like Elmo's name 3u

- There will certainly be merging of the two operations and jobs loses, etc. They certainly won't be maintaining two separate news teams, etc.

- No chance of UTV Northern Ireland returning to Virgin.

- Much less likely ITV officially on Sky now.

- Risk that ITV channels will now be removed from Virgin and pretty much all pay TV platforms in Ireland.

- I suspect they will be very slow to do TV3/3e/UTVI in HD on Saorview, why strengthen a free competitor?

I think Saorview will be a major loser in all this. I think the regulators should make TV3/3e/UTVI in HD on Saorview a condition of the purchase, otherwise Saorview will continue to shrink.

Bargain really for ITV IMO. You're suggesting that 10million includes rights for the next 10 years, it is more likely that the TV channel has been sold for 10million with TV3 paying a yearly fee to ITV for content as before. Clearly ITV were unwilling to buy other ITV programming rights for the ROI market.

Your last point needs to be part of the deal, the CPCC for consumers need to make HD available on Saorview for that free option. Is 3e in HD yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Strawberry HillBilly

How do the viewers influence the 3family in HD on Saorview decision ?

Advertisement