Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

The ITV Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Radio Gold

Jokeshop that UTV Ireland, In all honesty RTE hold all the European Qualifiers rights and could have shown the England--Scotland themselves, but they are only interested in showing the Republic. of Ireland Qualifiers for obvious reasons and the highlight show the have on later in the evening after the Ireland games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,609 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Radio Gold wrote: »
    In all honesty RTE hold all the European Qualifiers rights and could have shown the England--Scotland themselves, but they are only interested in showing the Republic. of Ireland Qualifiers for obvious reasons and the highlight show the have on later in the evening after the Ireland games.

RTÉ only hold the Rep. of Ireland TV rights to the home and away qualifiers via the UEFA Centralized TV rights process jointly with Sky. Sky hold the TV rights to all other qualifiers for the Rep. of Ireland but not sure if this applies to England games, was the England game on Sky for Irish Sky Sports subscribers tonight?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Wonder what UTV Ireland will do when a NI match is on ... oh wait.

Also while it is still with the minister UTV Ireland is in effect owned by Virgin Media and when the next England match is on TV3 will happily repeat Coro street specials

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Unfortunately it's a lacuna in the way the Irish rights were sold - RTE only hold (non exclusive) rights for the Republic of Ireland games, while Sky hold the rights for all games *except* those being shown in the UK on ITV (and there is an exception to that exception that means they will be showing Scotland v England when it comes around).

That leaves the games being shown in the U.K. on ITV having no ROI rights holder, it's unfortunate, but it was known about at the time and neither rights holder chose to point it out to UEFA and/or make an offer for the games, or if they did it wasn't accepted.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Elmo wrote: »
    Wonder what UTV Ireland will do when a NI match is on ... oh wait.

Also while it is still with the minister UTV Ireland is in effect owned by Virgin Media and when the next England match is on TV3 will happily repeat Coro street specials

UTV NI can't show NI matches either. Sky have the rights.

Virgin Media don't own UTV Ireland yet, and until the ink is dry there is still the possibility (if remote) that the deal could fall through. Management responsibility still rests with ITV. This isn't just a technicality - TV3 cannot make any management decisions regarding the station (or for example, take over playout) until the deal goes through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭political analyst

icdg wrote: »
    UTV NI can't show NI matches either. Sky have the rights.

Virgin Media don't own UTV Ireland yet, and until the ink is dry there is still the possibility (if remote) that the deal could fall through. Management responsibility still rests with ITV. This isn't just a technicality - TV3 cannot make any management decisions regarding the station (or for example, take over playout) until the deal goes through.

The minister still hasn't given the green light to the deal?!

The minister still hasn't given the green light to the deal?!

No he's been quite slow on this compared to Virgin's takeover of TV3 and ITV's takeover of UTV.

As for NI matches I being sarcastic.

I assume the RoI rights holder to Scotland, Wales and NI matches is Sky.

zorro2566 wrote: »

I assume they have been given ministerial approval which is the last part of the reg process.

Also noted in yesterday's Indo.

http://www.independent.ie/business/media/tv3-owner-virgins-10m-takeover-of-utv-ireland-is-approved-35221860.html

So whats next I wonder? As is till Christmas and then changes in the New Year? The main prize appears to be the 10 years worth of ITV programming, with UTVI the (unwanted?) extra gift.

• Advertisement

Also noted in yesterday's Indo.

http://www.independent.ie/business/media/tv3-owner-virgins-10m-takeover-of-utv-ireland-is-approved-35221860.html

So whats next I wonder? As is till Christmas and then changes in the New Year? The main prize appears to be the 10 years worth of ITV programming, with UTVI the (unwanted?) extra gift.

I read that the play out of UTVI will continue from Belfast for at least 3 months with one months notice to move it, with a six month extension. Anyone know if TV3 have upgraded their play out system someone here suggested that they where using a backup system for 3e at one stage.

You would think Virgin would move to re-name the channel in Jan with cross promotion occurring on all 3 channels.

Anyone seen a TV3/3e promo on UTVI or visaversa ?

http://m.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/business/news/utv-ireland-to-keep-using-staff-in-belfast-after-channels-sale-35221833.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭h7nlrp2v0g5u48

Reading the independent column it looks they have some sort of plans for UTVI. So nothing to suggest yet that Virgin Media are going to close it down.

VM will definitely have to rebrand it unless they were willing to licence the brand from ITV. Can't see that happen though.

Karsini wrote: »
    VM will definitely have to rebrand it unless they were willing to licence the brand from ITV. Can't see that happen though.
    Most likely will rebrand UTVI but it will be interesting to see what name they will call it.

Karsini wrote: »
    Most likely will rebrand UTVI but it will be interesting to see what name they will call it.

Couldn't Virgin Media Ireland (VMI) convert UTVI into the Republic's equivalent of ITV 3/ITV Encore, i.e. classical drama, and pull ITVs 2, 3 and 4 from its cable channel line-up? After all, 3e will be essentially the Republic's equivalent of ITV2 (Before UTVI had been launched, TV3 had moved I'm a Celebrity from its main channel to 3e after analogue switch-off).

I hope that VMI will give viewers in the Republic the opportunity to see the next series of Victoria (I enjoyed the first series - when I missed an episode on TV I watched it on the UTVI Player).

I am going with TV3+1 on saorview with 3e+1 on Virgin and Sky.

Elmo wrote: »
    I am going with TV3+1 on saorview with 3e+1 on Virgin and Sky.

With tranmissions costs in mind, I'd rather they have TV3 in HD and forget about a +1 option on SV. If you don't have/want Sky, I'd like to watch the Six Nations rugby in HD rather than grotvision when they take over the contract in 2018.

Couldn't Virgin Media Ireland (VMI) convert UTVI into the Republic's equivalent of ITV 3/ITV Encore, i.e. classical drama, and pull ITVs 2, 3 and 4 from its cable channel line-up? After all, 3e will be essentially the Republic's equivalent of ITV2 (Before UTVI had been launched, TV3 had moved I'm a Celebrity from its main channel to 3e after analogue switch-off).

I hope that VMI will give viewers in the Republic the opportunity to see the next series of Victoria (I enjoyed the first series - when I missed an episode on TV I watched it on the UTVI Player).
    I agree i would love to see UTVI rebrand into an ITV3 version for the Republican of Ireland. Virgin Media most now hold the rights to most of ITV Studio's classic content and if so would now be in a great position to offer customers in tne Republic of Ireland some sort of classic drama channel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Delta2113

ITV News at Ten Friday December 2 10PM Utv Ireland according to Virgin Media Ireland EPG Horizon - could be a mistake.

With so many gaps being left on Utv Ireland with show's moving to TV3 be nice if we see even more ITV stuff - e.g. Peston on Sunday - Ironic but nice.

• Advertisement

Delta2113 wrote: »
    ITV News at Ten Friday December 2 10PM Utv Ireland according to Virgin Media Ireland EPG Horizon - could be a mistake.

With so many gaps being left on Utv Ireland with show's moving to TV3 be nice if we see even more ITV stuff - e.g. Peston on Sunday - Ironic but nice.
    I saw that in the TV Now magazine. It wouldn't make sense to have a simulcast of one edition of a daily UK news programme on an Irish channel. Therefore, we can assume that it is a mistake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Laughably, while watching The Chase tonight, the ad breaks were still saying "UTV Ireland - Your home for Emmerdale"!

If all UTV Ireland Irish news get's dropped then why not carry ITV News - make's sense - presumably it's part of the 10 year deal.

If a major Terrorist event takes place in U.K. and ITV Network drop's show's the news coverage could be carried on Utv Ireland or whatever it will be called.

If all UTV Ireland Irish news get's dropped then why not carry ITV News - make's sense - presumably it's part of the 10 year deal.

If a major Terrorist event takes place in U.K. and ITV Network drop's show's the news coverage could be carried on Utv Ireland or whatever it will be called.

It will be all down to audience levels. If ITV news @10 doesn't gain an audience TV3 will quickly replace it with something else. IMO why not just use international news from ITN as part of your own news packages. Extend the 5:30 to 5pm.

I wonder will they carry The Nightly Show next year - five nights a week at 10PM - initial 8-week run.

Showing ITV content on TV3 and Utv Ireland (or whatever it will be called) will take some 'juggling'. I hope they don't bounce of new ITV content for a day or two so not to clash with homegrown stuff - e.g. Red Rock.

ICDG answered that question in post 2558 on the following thread.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057205314&page=171

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 208 ✭✭Stillhouette

Why would an Irish TV channel carry the ITV news and programmes related to British politics. The viewers would be miniscule and a waste of money

So the Irish Advertisers that advertise on Sky news are wasting their money - I don't think do.

So the Irish Advertisers that advertise on Sky news are wasting their money - I don't think do.

It's very different for an Irish broadcaster to simulcast British news versus Irish audiences watching British channels.

Sky sell a vast array of advertising to Irish advertisers not just on Sky channels.

• Advertisement

Would Virgin Media viewers want UTV (Northern Ireland) back? yes - will it happen? No.

How about the next best thing - as near as possible 100% Itv content including news and current affairs - none from Northern Ireland - presumably not part of deal - we don't even know if news is part of deal. If it is it should be used.

It would make Saorview better as well.

Advertisement