Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The ITV Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭RED L4 0TH

khumbu wrote: »
    Maybe carriage cost of HD is too high to justify on Saorview. If they decide to join Saorsat platform they might be able to justify the extra expense on that over SD.

Saorview over on their facebook page are saying it will be in SD 'for now' but to 'please watch this space for further announcements'.

https://www.facebook.com/saorviewirl

• Registered Users Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

RED L4 0TH wrote: »
    Saorview over on their facebook page are saying it will be in SD 'for now' but to 'please watch this space for further announcements'.

https://www.facebook.com/saorviewirl

It could be a pre cursor to allow UTV Ireland to be in HD when it launches on Saorview on January 1st next year. Or maybe not we might just could speculate here and also have to wait for announcements regarding UTV Ireland on Saorview.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

icdg wrote: »
    Yes. Thread about this in Cable though I may close it if there's going to be overlap.

I will miss the ITN bulletins!

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭twinklerunner

I will miss the ITN bulletins!

I presume that ITN will provide the foreign news reports for UTV Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Plus Channel 4 News.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,163 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Why would they?
    They don't provide reports for UTV Live, they never provided reports for TV3.
    The only reason UTV NI carry ITN's ITV News bulletins is that they are the ITV franchise holders for Northern Ireland. There is no ITV franchise available for the Republic of Ireland as it is an foreign country to the country that ITV operate in. Likewise you don't see BBC reports on RTÉ. Incidentally the new RTÉ London correspondent is to be based at ITN's HQ rather then Broadcasting House.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭zeebre12

Does it not seem like a stupid name for a new terrestrial channel for the Republic of Ireland?,a lot of people including my family are getting mixed up and think we are just getting UTV .also it doesn't seem like a proper channel,just an irish variant of UTV itself-like Disney Channel UK,Fox UK in the UK..it doesn't seem like a whole new channel..Could they have not called it something other than UTV in the name?

flazio wrote: »
    Why would they?
    The only reason UTV NI carry ITN's ITV News bulletins is that they are the ITV franchise holders for Northern Ireland. There is no ITV franchise available for the Republic of Ireland as it is an foreign country to the country that ITV operate in. Likewise you don't see BBC reports on RTÉ. Incidentally the new RTÉ London correspondent is to be based at ITN's HQ rather then Broadcasting House.

Surprising that RTÉ's London Correspondent isn't based in the BBC considering that the Deputy DG was formerly BBC News and the major contract signed between the two companies earlier in the year and their connections to the EBU!

No reason why UTV Ireland doesn't have a deal with ITN which is 40% owned by ITV plc.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Brand recognition, basically. UTV is known to the majority of viewers in the south and I think would be seen as a trusted brand.

A completely new name would not have that.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Well that's the idea of course. If they were still Ulster Television no doubt it would have been Irish Television or Television Ireland or something. Indeed it is largely because of the large ROI following they had in the late 1980s/1990s that they changed from Ulster Television to UTV - it was what everyone called them anyway.

• Advertisement

That's something they've been remarkably quiet on. Likelihood is that if they were to partner with anyone it would be ITN but we'll have to wait and see. In NI of course they broadcast all of ITN's bulletins as required under their contract but they don't have to do that in the Republic. Nonetheless I think they'll partner with someone, and why not ITN?

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭twinklerunner

flazio wrote: »
    Why would they?

UTV Live is news from Northern Ireland.
    I presume that news on UTV Ireland will be Irish and international so they will need access to foreign items .. unless they do like RTE and use local voice overs.
    I did put a question mark on my earlier post as I do not know the answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

I presume events in NI will be as widely covered as what happens on RTÉ (if not more as its so handy) - it should be interesting to hear the northern reporters from UTVNI try an grapple with stuff like "London Derry" - reports will probably have to be recorded twice to factor in such differences :)

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭MarkK

Apparently the provisional prime time schedule for ITV on January 1 and 2 are as follows:

Thur - Jan1
    7.00 You've Been Framed
    7.30 Emmerdale
    8.30 Birds of A Feather
    9.00 FILM: The Dark Knight
    11.55 ITV News

Fri - Jan 2
    7.00 Emmerdale
    7.30 Coronation Street
    8.00 The Martin Lewis Money Show
    8.30 Coronation Street
    9.00 Benidorm

I wonder how many of these we will see on UTV Ireland.
    They'll show Emmerdale and Corrie obviously.
    RTE 2 are showing The Dark Knight over Christmas so that will presumably be different.
    Martin Lewis Money Show is not really relevant to RoI would they show that?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

MarkK wrote: »
    Apparently the provisional prime time schedule for ITV on January 1 and 2 are as follows:

Thur - Jan1
    7.00 You've Been Framed
    7.30 Emmerdale
    8.30 Birds of A Feather
    9.00 FILM: The Dark Knight
    11.55 ITV News

Fri - Jan 2
    7.00 Emmerdale
    7.30 Coronation Street
    8.30 Coronation Street
    9.00 Benidorm

I wonder how many of these we will see on UTV Ireland.
    They'll show Emmerdale and Corrie obviously.
    RTE 2 are showing The Dark Knight over Christmas so that will presumably be different.
    Martin Lewis Money Show is not really relevant to RoI would they show that?
    Thur - Jan1
    7.00 You've Been Framed
    7.30 Emmerdale
    8.30 Birds of A Feather
    9.00 FILM: The Dark Knight (RTÉ Rights)
    11.55 ITV News

Fri - Jan 2
    7.00 Emmerdale
    7.30 Coronation Street
    8.30 Coronation Street
    9.00 Benidorm

Yep wipe out all films if i'm not mistaken from UTVI - I have absolutely no idea what The Martin Lewis Money Show is...

irishfeen wrote: »
    Yep wipe out all films if i'm not mistaken from UTVI ....

I wonder how many UPC customers will be settling down for The Dark Knight on 1st January only to get a documentary on linen making ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭radiowaves

zeebre12 wrote: »
    Does it not seem like a stupid name for a new terrestrial channel for the Republic of Ireland?,a lot of people including my family are getting mixed up and think we are just getting UTV

But you are just getting UTV (minus certain shows) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,979 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

irishfeen wrote: »
    I have absolutely no idea what The Martin Lewis Money Show is...

he's the dude from http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭Rick_

I wonder how many UPC customers will be settling down for The Dark Knight on 1st January only to get a documentary on linen making ;)
    Doesn't matter, it's also on RTÉ 2 so they can just watch it there.

Regardless of where they watch it though, it'll likely be shown in the wrong aspect ratio and chock full of ads.

Paddy C wrote: »

Regardless of where they watch it though, it'll likely be shown in the wrong aspect ratio and chock full of ads.

RTÉ shouldn't show as many ads by law.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Elmo wrote: »

That is the case. Try TV3, they show a lot more adverts than they are allowed, and do a lot of product placements, which are basic adverts.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Time will tell. If it is successful, they may make more local programmes. Depends on how many viewers they get, and how discerning they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭endakenny

Elmo wrote: »

RTÉ has fewer ad breaks than TV3 and the ITV network.

Paddy C wrote: »

If they want to watch it at 9pm on 1st of January they can't.
    RTE 2 are showing it on Christmas Day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭endakenny

If they want to watch it at 9pm on 1st of January they can't.
    RTE 2 are showing it on Christmas Day.

Then they can record it on RTÉ 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

It's probably on Netflix

UTV please...

I don't think it is on Netflix Ireland.

I beleive that RTÉ2 has The Dark Knight Rises, not sure if they are showing The Dark Knight or Batman Begins both of which have been repeated many many times on TV3 and TG4.

endakenny wrote: »
    Then they can record it on RTÉ 2.

Use a time machine to go back to Christmas day, start the recording and then come back to the 1st of January to watch it?

People are used to having a second chance to catch films on UTV/BBC if they miss them on RTE.

Next Christmas it will be interesting to see what Christmas movies UTV Ireland have.

• Advertisement

If there's no Batman forum petition for one, but this thread is about UTV Ireland

Advertisement