Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The ITV Thread

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

most people in Dublin City and northwards along the east coast should still be able to receive UTV from Belfast if they stick up an aerial? The reception of UTV via overspill from FreeView is strong here in Meath so should be quite possible for most people in Dublin to stick up an aerial and receive it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

UTV Ireland now listed as Channel 6 on Saorview.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,596 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

kn wrote: »
    UTV Ireland now listed as Channel 6 on Saorview.

Not here, still displaying UTV Ireland even after retune.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

icdg wrote: »
    Of all the hundreds of channel launches, in history, ever? Not a chance. It hasn't launched yet, so obviously it's very early to judge.

Even to be the worst in just the UK and Ireland alone, it would still have to beat:

RTÉ2 - played the wrong sound for first few minutes. And the announcer called it "Channel Two", which didn't bode well for the future.

ITV3 - Didn't secure Sky carriage until four hours before launch!

BT Sport - didn't secure UPC carriage until the day before launch.

ESPN - didn't secure UPC carriage until 11 days after launch

TV3 - played a god-awful 30 minute opening show that amounted to an extended promo.

Worst of all, BBC Two - suffered a power cut and had to postpone its launch till the following evening.

I think you missed the worst of all.

Saorview was launched by Pat Rabbitte on a Thursday, (26th May 2011, iirc) but the launch did not occur until the following Saturday, and was not celebrated by RTE until 17 months later, when they shut down analogue, again presented by Pat Rabbitte. RTE have been trying to ignore it ever since.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Indeed. But nothwithstanding the OP, we might take things back to UTV

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭irishmusicfeed

Oh look UTV Ireland looks as useful as those electronic voting machines the government put money into all those years ago... But I guess it will give people on the forum something to complain about the new channel and compare it with TV3 oh wait that happens already...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Oh look UTV Ireland looks as useful as those electronic voting machines the government put money into all those years ago... But I guess it will give people on the forum something to complain about the new channel and compare it with TV3 oh wait that happens already...

When they take much of TV3's programming it was bound to be compared to TV3.

Anyone got the first 2 days schedule handy?

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭RAKM

For people with Saorview only this channel is worth having.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

UTV and TV3 were always pretty much the same already. At least there will be some serious Irish news content. They will need about a year to work out what suits the new audience. It will also take a year for TV3 to work out how to survive without Corrie - if they do survive.

At least UTVi have invested in the station.

UTV and TV3 were always pretty much the same already. .

Only in peak time. One major difference with UTV Ireland is that they will be taking the ITV daytime schedule too, which TV3 never really did.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

In fairness. They did the best they could!

That accent! I thought he said SHOT in the Scenery lift for a sec! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

Elmo wrote: »
    News doesn't start until 5th of jan

What movies?
    New years day 7.25 welcome to utv ireland, 7.30 ti 8.30 emmerdale then pat kenny for an hour followed by a film and a night with olly murs.
    Friday Jan 2nd Jeremy kyle, film 2.25 on golden pond the chase and lesser spotted ulster 4.30 to 6pm. 6pm westlife followed by emmerdale and corrie.8.30pm James Nesbitts Ireland followed by far and away at 9.

wont put down the full schedule in case I am not allowed but thats the general make up of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

New years day 7.25 welcome to utv ireland, 7.30 ti 8.30 emmerdale then pat kenny for an hour followed by a film and a night with olly murs.
    Friday Jan 2nd Jeremy kyle, film 2.25 on golden pond the chase and lesser spotted ulster 4.30 to 6pm. 6pm westlife followed by emmerdale and corrie.8.30pm James Nesbitts Ireland followed by far and away at 9.

wont put down the full schedule in case I am not allowed but thats the general make up of it.

How does tv3 stack up in comparison?

How does tv3 stack up in comparison?

NYD- the Mummy, War of the Buttons, Brendan Grace Live,9pm Film Evelyn.
    2nd Jan - tipping point, best of Xpose, late lunch live, judge judy, beyonce at 20, Transformers movie at 7pm and the boys and girls of county clare at 10pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭zeebre12

You know the way on Sky in Ireland channels 101-105 are RTE 1,RTE 2,TV3,TG4,3e respectively..where will UTV Ireland place?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭JDxtra

confirmed in a reply on the talk to sky forum that you WILL have to pay extra to watch UTVirl in HD on Sky as "it is a different type of public service broadcaster than RTE2HD"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Mallagio

screenshot_1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,797 ✭✭✭lertsnim

RAKM wrote: »
    For people with Saorview only this channel is worth having.

That's true. It is a pity in my view that it will be a copy and paste of most of the ITV schedule.

lertsnim wrote: »
    That's true. It is a pity in my view that it will be a copy and paste of most of the ITV schedule.

And so far not much different to TV3's schedule. Neither are pulling out the stops come Jan 1st surely Red Rock should start then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Elmo wrote: »
    And so far not much different to TV3's schedule. Neither are pulling out the stops come Jan 1st surely Red Rock should start then?

I agree I would have thought they would have done that. So it must not be ready or they are hoping to get a sponsor on-board or Jan 1 has poor viewing figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Can someone post UTVIs full first day schedule from the RTÉ guide?

Just to say that the full schedules are copyright so we can't post them but there's no problem mentioning highlights (such as they may be)

Just to say that the full schedules are copyright so we can't post them but there's no problem mentioning highlights (such as they may be)
    Ah jaysus icdg ... Why would UTV object? .. It's not like we are going selling our own Boards TV guide in shops :) .. Over on DS they post full schedules no problem.

Merged the two threads

Sorry, rules be rules.

Sorry, rules be rules.
    I know that icdg but Its just ridiculous beyond belief .. Nanny state stuff altogether... All I want to do is compare it with the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

I thought people's lifestyles were moving towards less demand for mainstream tv channels rather than more, especially for a market as small as Ireland. Maybe it's a reflection on the quality of internet available in Ireland.

Korat wrote: »
    I thought people's lifestyles were moving towards less demand for mainstream tv channels rather than more, especially for a market as small as Ireland. Maybe it's a reflection on the quality of internet available in Ireland.

IMO Broadcast will push on demand as time goes on it will if done correctly be the main leader. Though so far....

Also even if people weren't moving towards On-demand services, 3 mainstream broadcast channels in a small market is too many.

• Advertisement

http://www.utvireland.ie/

Website update with new layout.

Advertisement