Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The ITV Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

Why is there nothing they can do?
    I dont understand why not?

I still have UTV 2,3 and 4.
    Why could they not keep UTV 1 even in a new location, and add utvirl.

Is there a definitive reason why you say there is nothing UPC can do.

The consensus is that it's to avoid splitting the viewership between the 2 channels in order to maximise UTVI's ad rates. It wasn't an UPC decision afaik

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

Because UTV Ireland have exclusive broadcast rights in ROI and no longer let UPC broadcast UTV NI. Sky never had UTV, nor did Eircom Evision so it didnt affect them.

UTV Ireland have also secured Exclusive ROI rights to Corrie and Emmerdale so TV3 can no longer play them or supply them on UPC's catchup service.

There are no ads on UPC catchup service and TONS on UTV player..... Money money money..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,819 ✭✭✭lertsnim

You have ITV2, 3 and 4 which is a deal UPC have made with ITV. ITV do not own UTV so the fact that those channels remain is irrelevant. There is no chance of ITV1 launching on UPC as both UTV Ireland and TV3 own the rights to probably 90% of the ITV1 schedule.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,944 ✭✭✭JDxtra

I just checked out the UTV Player. 4, yes four, ads before the programme starts.

Odd, I saw no ads at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 902 ✭✭✭twinklerunner

JDxtra wrote: »
    Odd, I saw no ads at all.

I was using the iPhone, not sure if that makes a difference

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

A different schedule, movie-wise. ITV kids programs dropped.

All kids programmes previously shown on weekday afternoons on the ITV network along with UTV and STV were transferred across to a different channel dedicated to children's entertainment some years ago. The channel is called "CITV" and would directly compete with the likes of both the BBC tv children's channels: CBeebies and CBBC and here in Ireland it would be an alternative to RTÉjr/TRTÉ.

CITV (originally known as Children's ITV) broadcasts daily from 06:00am to 6:00pm but is not on the SKY Digital Ireland epg but it can still be manually added by entering in the satellite frequency 10758 V 22000 5/6 and selecting the appropriate channel and saving it. Once saved correctly you should then find it under "Other Channels" on a SKY Digibox.

lertsnim wrote: »
    You have ITV2, 3 and 4 which is a deal UPC have made with ITV. ITV do not own UTV so the fact that those channels remain is irrelevant. There is no chance of ITV1 launching on UPC as both UTV Ireland and TV3 own the rights to probably 90% of the ITV1 schedule.

They dropped the brand name ITV1 some time ago. This channel name reverted to just simply itv and it's time shift channel itv+1. Those other itv channels retained their existing names (i.e.) itv2, itv2+1, itv3, itv3+1, itv4, itv4+1, citv, itvbe. itv encore is exclusively available to Sky Digital subscribers within the UK only as this is an encrypted channel unlike all other itv channels at this time.

Because UTV Ireland have exclusive broadcast rights in ROI and no longer let UPC broadcast UTV NI. Sky never had UTV, nor did Eircom Evision so it didnt affect them.

UTV Ireland have also secured Exclusive ROI rights to Corrie and Emmerdale so TV3 can no longer play them or supply them on UPC's catchup service.

There are no ads on UPC catchup service and TONS on UTV player..... Money money money..

I suspect you meant Sky Ireland never had UTV here in the Republic of Ireland? I understand that UTV from Belfast has been available on Sky Digital Channel No: 103 on the EPG for those based in the six counties.

Those in the Republic of Ireland had to manually add UTV and access it via "Other Channels" on a Sky Digibox which has the disadvantage of not being able to use the SKY Plus recording facility. Unlike UPC customers, Free-To-Air satellite tv viewers /Sky Digital viewers may still continue to receive UTV from Belfast via the "Other Channels" option even after the launch of UTV Ireland on 01/01/2015.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,714 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Racket wrote: »
    Pretty sure that guide puts the HD tag on everything that's on a HD channel, no matter the source material.

,only HD source material gets tagged as HD on the Sky guide,don't know how the UPC guide works.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Joziburg

So is it no longer possible to watch UTV NI or ITV in Republic on UPC? What about the This Morning Show!! Lol

Why is there nothing they can do?
    I dont understand why not?

Is there a definitive reason why you say there is nothing UPC can do.

The whole reason why UTV decided to launch UTV Ireland for the Republic of Ireland was due to falling viewers/advertising revenue from south of the border on UTV. This was apparent when UTV was not permitted to go live on Sky Digital ROI platform some years ago because other Irish terrestrial tv channels would have challenged their inclusion in this jurisdiction.

In the days before the main terrestrial tv channels went on Sky Digital and before the launch of TV3 back in September 1998, UTV had also been a beneficiary of advertising revenue from the south but this was dropping year on year as TV3 took hold hence UTV came up with the UTV Ireland concept for ROI only as they were confident they could not be prevented from launching this new channel down south for a Republic of Ireland audience.

Joziburg wrote: »
    So is it no longer possible to watch UTV NI or ITV in Republic on UPC? What about the This Morning Show!! Lol

Correct - Indeed there are some odd anomalies in programmes on UTV Ireland like the show you referenced in your earlier post not to mention "Lorraine" or "Loose Women" and possibly others too. I suspect that some of these inappropriate UK fillers may be replaced over time but that may take up to a year.

Correct - Indeed there are some odd anomalies in programmes on UTV Ireland like the show you referenced in your earlier post not to mention "Lorraine" or "Loose Women" and possibly others too. I suspect that some of these inappropriate UK fillers may be replaced over time but that may take up to a year.

Both very popular programmes-no need to replace either programme.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭greenman09

Haven't read through the whole thread but is utv Ni still available through other channels.bon sky

Shouldn't UTV have had a better schedule for its launch - it may have been a good idea to had a live UTV News broadcast to get the ball rolling having to wait until Monday wasn't a great idea... possible schedule

06:55 - Channel Launch Promo
    Corona's Song With Random Images

07:00 - UTV Ireland Live
    Alison Comyn brings you your first broadcast of the latest news stories making the headlines in Ireland and around the world on the first day of 2015.

07:30 - Emmerdale
    A Soap we stole from TV3 :P

08:30 - Out With The Old In With The U
    A 'new' face to Irish TV Pat Kenny looks at the best moments of 2014 and what's ahead on the new channel UTV Ireland.

09:00 - The Dark Knight (2008)
    A movie about Batman which has been shown on RTÉ 2, TV3 and TG4 many many times.

00:00 - ITN News & Headlines

00:30 Close
    We couldn't be bothered showing you anything else but at least you get us for free.

I do not know from which source you pulled the UTV Ireland schedule listings from as I was watching the launch via Saorview feed on LCN 6 and they had the countdown clock and had stopped running the promo loop in the minutes before final 10 minutes countdown. Once we hit 19:25hrs it went straight to a new promo film/shorts and some well wishes from a few familiar faces and then Emmerdale began at 19:30hrs

Given that UTV prides itself in having live TV Continuity Announcers on-screen and that UTV Ireland would also follow a similar style, I found it strange that of all evenings they chose to wait until 60+ minutes later before we first saw any live persons from the channel's new Dublin HQ. Up to then it had come across as very pre-recorded and automated. Then we finally get to view the new TV Continuity announcers looking squashed on the screen appear together! It looked so odd when nobody appeared in the early moments of the actual launch itself and then 2 together which looked like a crowded shot in the way it was portrayed on screen. Overall the first night was a strange programme line-up but then so is the timing to launch a channel the night after New Year's Eve! It will be Monday of next week before we get a proper look at their main offering - Ireland Live and Ireland Live at 10!

• Advertisement

fryup wrote: »
    but this new channel can be picked up throughout the island??

and its called utv ireland, it doesn't specify republic or north

You'll notice that it will also say IRELAND / ÉIRE as the name of the country on an Irish Passport as opposed to the Republic of Ireland. You also find many international firms with an Irish branch in this country will often say the company name ________(Ireland) Ltd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

greenman09 wrote: »
    Haven't read through the whole thread but is utv Ni still available through other channels.bon sky

Yes, and on Freesat.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

I understand Rupert Murdoch loves money and all but given UTV Ireland is a free channel why do Sky custoners need to have HD package in order to receive UTV Ireland HD?

Infoanon wrote: »
    Both very popular programmes-no need to replace either programme.

I never said they were unpopular programmes - they are clearly very popular among some audiences especially in their home market in the UK or they would have been axed long ago. What I meant by my earlier post is that I did not consider the programmes referenced would be an ideal match for a channel aiming itself at an Ireland audience to be fair.

Of course that is not to say that nobody down here will ever watch the programmes from time to time - I just have my doubts that many viewers will consistantly watch these ones as there are now alternatives (e.g.) TV3 with a similar show called "Midday" which caters for the "Loose Women" type audience but it is more about things from an Irish perspective. Late Lunch Live on weekday afternoons on TV3, TODAY with Daithí & Maura on RTÉ One and so on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

ITV daytime schedule won't rate but neither would spending a fortune on home produced daytime muck.

If UTV can build a strong prime time they won't need to worry, however largely speaking they are relying too much on ITV.

• Advertisement

I understand Rupert Murdoch loves money and all but given UTV Ireland is a free channel why do Sky custoners need to have HD package in order to receive UTV Ireland HD?

It is my understanding that RTÉ TWO HD (now RTÉ2 HD) was briefly on a Sky HD package when it first appared as a HD channel option on Sky but later this was made available without the requirement of the Sky Ireland customer to have to upgrade to a HD package.

Perhaps you should address this very interesting question to the BAI (Broadcasting Authority of Ireland) while mentioning in your query if there has ever been other precedents made regarding any of the other Irish public service broadcasters free-to-air television channels in the Republic of Ireland going out in high definition and offered as part of a basic subscription package with Sky Digital Ireland ?

You can't have a national tv station in the Republic of Ireland giving "national" news from London.

What should they do - show UK national news before telling us they are switching to our region for local news? How well do you think that would go down?

Ah no Kermit...Ireland Live should come first in the schedule billing and the UTV Ireland announcer would NOT be telling viewers and now for the "national" news from London on UTV Ireland.

Believe it or not, people here in the Republic of Ireland have often bought British tabloids newspapers over the years so much so they eventually developed Irish versions of the same tabloids. People like their news digest from a variety of different sources and many choose not just their Irish sources like RTÉ News, The 5:30 TV3 News, BBC News, ITN News, Sky News, Sky Sports News HQ and I could go on. Viewers of UTV (NI) here in the south via UPC Ireland cable are complaining about the loss of ITV News - you seem to be of the view that this cannot be permitted on UTV Ireland! British programmes have been appearing on Irish national television stations since the days Telefís Éireann (now RTÉ Television) first opened and the sky never fell down. Much of our prime time tv is still dominated by (not Irish) but UK shows like: Coronation Street, Emmerdale, EastEnders, X Factor, The Chase etc;

Your reaction reminds me of the: "No Playing of Foreign Games" attitude that was once preached to those in Ireland who dared to mention, follow or play any sport unless it was GAA. This is 2015 and we now live in a secular pluralist Ireland and all should be able to broadcast what the public are willing to watch if it is educational, interesting and entertaining within reason. I'm not against the GAA as such but neither am I against Rugby, Cricket, Tennis etc; either or the idea of Ireland Live News followed by ITV News on UTV Ireland channel because at the end of the day the viewers in Ireland will watch the programmes they prefer and the advertisers will follow suit whether you or I like it or not!

icdg wrote: »
    UK national news is still available from the BBC, Channel 4, and Sky News. While I'll miss ITN, particularly at General election time, it is not what it once was. It suffered a massive quality decrease after the 1999 changes and arguably never recovered.

If I was to be negative of any news service right now it would have to be SKY News which rarely covers stories from Ireland these days and SKY News got rid of their whole weather forecast team of presenters.

Whereas itv News have undergone quite a few changes at different times throughout the 2000s too including the set up of the ITN News Channel (later re-branded as ITV News channel) which was on Sky Digital satellite but it's channel number position was 525 on Sky epg which was too far away from the other main news channels. I often watch itv news at 6:30pm (from ITN) on itv on digital satellite and I must say it still has an excellent news package standard overall because it is easy to follow, they don't spend too long on any one story, good balance of mixed contents.

Of course I would first watch The 5:30 TV3 News and some of RTÉ News and I'll also take a look at Ireland Live and Ireland Live at 10 on the new UTV Ireland from Monday 5th January onwards.

The DOG looks ridiculous

Not only does the on-screen DOG look totally unsuitable on-screen throughout programmes I will stick my neck out and predict that the channel name will have to undergo radical change to a much shorter snappier one as right now the current UTV Ireland logo is far too long to incorporate clearly on a reporters microphone not to mention the on-screen DOG.

Whoever designed it is one thing, but whoever had the authority to approve and sign off on this logo as a final copy should be challenged as it must be one of the worst examples that I've ever come across anywhere in television land. I would also question who came up with the title of this channel in the first place. It could have been down on paper as UTV Ireland t/a: TVsouth for example

Capital Radio became Rock104 later FM104
    Radio Ireland became Today fm after a relatively short period too
    Channel 6 became 3e after TV3 Group bought station
    UTV Ireland name will change - probably whole new name within 12mths!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 86 ✭✭Gilma2010

My biggest disappointment is that the schedule isn't the same as UTV, give or take a few regional differences. In my opinion, the current advertised schedule barely warrants a watch, except for Corrie.

I was looking forward to recording the new series of Benidorm tonight at 9. Instead, UTV Ireland are showing Far and Away with Tom Cruise!! A rerun of a film that must be 20 years old!! I'll be switching back to UTV on my Sky box to watch it. Hate not being able to get reminders, pause or record on "other channels".

Come on Sky, give us UTV, ITV2 and +1 in the normal channels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 223 ✭✭United road

Gilma2010 wrote: »
    My biggest disappointment is that the schedule isn't the same as UTV, give or take a few regional differences. In my opinion, the current advertised schedule barely warrants a watch, except for Corrie.

I was looking forward to recording the new series of Benidorm tonight at 9. Instead, UTV Ireland are showing Far and Away with Tom Cruise!! A rerun of a film that must be 20 years old!! I'll be switching back to UTV on my Sky box to watch it. Hate not being able to get reminders, pause or record on "other channels".

I fully agree with you, however unlike you, i have no way of watching UTV as i am with UPC.
    I really want to get UTV back, the wife loved that station and the morning shows as well as saturday evening shows. i will be exploring possible ways of doing so, even considering a switch to sky from UPC.

Ah no Kermit...Ireland Live should come first in the schedule billing and the UTV Ireland announcer would NOT be telling viewers and now for the "national" news from London on UTV Ireland.

Yes, but that is how the presenter in London refers to things.
    Your reaction reminds me of the: "No Playing of Foreign Games" attitude that was once preached to those in Ireland who dared to mention, follow or play any sport unless it was GAA. This is 2015 and we now live in a secular pluralist Ireland and all should be able to broadcast what the public are willing to watch if it is educational, interesting and entertaining within reason. I'm not against the GAA as such but neither am I against Rugby, Cricket, Tennis etc; either or the idea of Ireland Live News followed by ITV News on UTV Ireland channel because at the end of the day the viewers in Ireland will watch the programmes they prefer and the advertisers will follow suit whether you or I like it or not!

A bit of an overreaction. UTV will presumably make changes to this new channel to incorporate more ITV programmes as they acquire the rights. And ITN news might appear. But they're branding themselves as an Irish channel so they understandably want to avoid a UK news programme. I presume ITN-sourced news will appear on Ireland Live anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

I hope I have this wrong.

I have Sky + HD. I'll be kicking it at the end of the month as it is set to rise in price (got a deal on it for 12 months) and I really couldn't be bothered with HD.

If I kick HD, will I lose the ability to watch UTV Ireland on Sky ?

Let's see what Bill Murray thought of last night's launch of UTV Ireland...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,944 ✭✭✭JDxtra

MugMugs wrote: »
    I hope I have this wrong.

I have Sky + HD. I'll be kicking it at the end of the month as it is set to rise in price (got a deal on it for 12 months) and I really couldn't be bothered with HD.

If I kick HD, will I lose the ability to watch UTV Ireland on Sky ?

In HD - yes. Standard definition version will still be available as long as you remain a subscriber.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

As a Freesat user its fascinating to see just how messed up paid for tv is in Ireland.

Why do people use UPC/SKY is it for the Sport (if so fair enough) or just brain washing about a one box solution, cos the one box is increasingly unable to do that job it seems.

I never said they were unpopular programmes - they are clearly very popular among some audiences especially in their home market in the UK or they would have been axed long ago. What I meant by my earlier post is that I did not consider the programmes referenced would be an ideal match for a channel aiming itself at an Ireland audience to be fair.n.

Both programmes are popular with Irish audiences and fit the channels intended audience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,058 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

I fully agree with you, however unlike you, i have no way of watching UTV as i am with UPC.
    I really want to get UTV back, the wife loved that station and the morning shows as well as saturday evening shows. i will be exploring possible ways of doing so, even considering a switch to sky from UPC.

Surely a Freesat PVR would be better to get UTV as you could pause/live/record on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 223 ✭✭United road

Surely a Freesat PVR would be better to get UTV as you could pause/live/record on it.

Thanks for the advice Digifriendly, i will be honest, im terrible at knowing what is out there on the market and what options i have open to me. I did not ask here as i guess its the wrong thread.
    I will look in to it. If i can get UTV back then the wife will be happy!! :-)
    Thank you

JDxtra wrote: »
    In HD - yes. Standard definition version will still be available as long as you remain a subscriber.

Note that in the UK domestic channels ITV2-4 were available in SD only without an HD subscription. Not sure if this is still the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭Seanachai

Gilma2010 wrote: »

Was all set to watch the Dark Knight going by the UTV schedule and I was met with Pat Kenny doing his awkward thing in a classroom, thought okay maybe the schedule is off by half an hour or something but no. I'm with UPC so I'll have to stick a free sat dish up.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭MojoRisinnnn

Sorry if this has been asked but I have UPC Horizon box, Have I now lost UTV altogether?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭Seanachai

Sorry if this has been asked but I have UPC Horizon box, Have I now lost UTV altogether?

I'm with basic UPC and it's gone, has anybody seen the posters of the male and female news readers for UTV Ireland. There's billboards about, the guy looks like one of the robots from Steven Spielberg's AI, his eyes are freaky.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Seanachai wrote: »
    Was all set to watch the Dark Knight going by the UTV schedule and I was met with Pat Kenny doing his awkward thing in a classroom, thought okay maybe the schedule is off by half an hour or something but no. I'm with UPC so I'll have to stick a free sat dish up.
    Great show - sky's "additional channels" came in handy in glorious HD :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭irishmusicfeed

Not only does the on-screen DOG look totally unsuitable on-screen throughout programmes I will stick my neck out and predict that the channel name will have to undergo radical change to a much shorter snappier one as right now the current UTV Ireland logo is far too long to incorporate clearly on a reporters microphone not to mention the on-screen DOG.

Whoever designed it is one thing, but whoever had the authority to approve and sign off on this logo as a final copy should be challenged as it must be one of the worst examples that I've ever come across anywhere in television land. I would also question who came up with the title of this channel in the first place. It could have been down on paper as UTV Ireland t/a: TVsouth for example

Capital Radio became Rock104 later FM104
    Radio Ireland became Today fm after a relatively short period too
    Channel 6 became 3e after TV3 Group bought station
    UTV Ireland name will change - probably whole new name within 12mths!

UTV will drop the 'Ireland' tag from its logo in 2016... the whole plan at the moment is to establish the separate Republic of Ireland service and to highlight this by 2016 the UTV Ireland tag will be dropped as the channel will simple become UTV and to continue as a separate channel to UTV Northern Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

UTV will drop the 'Ireland' tag from its logo in 2016... the whole plan at the moment is to establish the separate Republic of Ireland service and to highlight this by 2016 the UTV Ireland tag will be dropped as the channel will simple become UTV and to continue as a separate channel to UTV Northern Ireland.

It seems a bit stupid to end up calling it utv. The U stands for Ulster. TV4 would be a better name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

jca wrote: »
    It seems a bit stupid to end up calling it utv. The U stands for Ulster. TV4 would be a better name.

Isn't TV4 - TG4? :)

TV5? :D Wasn't that the french channel with dodgy porn back in the day haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭irishmusicfeed

Isn't TV4 - TG4? :)

TV5? :D Wasn't that the french channel with dodgy porn back in the day haha.

TV5 Monde never showed porn that was German channel Sat 1. UTV no longer stands for Ulster. The U in UTV is just the generic letter U. A rebrand of the channel would be total stupidity the UTV brand is well known on both sides of
    the boarder. It would have probably made better sense if they purchased TV3 Group as rumoured in 2013.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,940 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Jayus I never even noticed UTV was not on the UPC!!

Am I missing much I wonder?:rolleyes:

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Do you know that for a fact or are you speculating? IMHO it's reasonably likely, however.

• Advertisement

Since when has St Stephen's Day become "Boxing Day" in Ireland?? :) ... just seen a promo on UTVI advertising a programme on the "Boxing Day Tsunami"

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,922 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

When the channel was first announced they stated that the trading name would just be UTV, but somewhere along the lines that changed for some reason. I wouldn't be surprised if it does eventually become just UTV but i don't think it will happen that quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,733 ✭✭✭✭L1011

irishfeen wrote: »
    Since when has St Stephen's Day become "Boxing Day" in Ireland?? :) ... just seen a promo on UTVI advertising a programme on the "Boxing Day Tsunami"

The event is known as that in more of the English speaking world than by any other name.

Nothing wrong with them keeping the channel called "UTV Ireland" in the long term... they just need to tone down the DOG and make it transparent

L1011 wrote: »
    The event is known as that in more of the English speaking world than by any other name.
    Ha ya but not in Ireland... they better get with the lingo before the news starts next week ... Derry/Londonderry could be great fun yet :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement