Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The ITV Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

Gonzo wrote: »
    will UTV Ireland have the same sports and movie coverage/timeslots as ITV1/UTV?

I am not sure about the time slots for sports & movies.

Not sure if this was a typo but the itv family of channels no longer uses "ITV1" for it's main television channel as this brand name reverted back to just itv some time ago. The time-shift version of this channel now called itv+1 and so on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Gonzo wrote: »
    will UTV Ireland have the same sports and movie coverage/timeslots as ITV1/UTV?

They may keep they same film schedule but not the same movies as ITV/STV/UTV .

TV3 will air RWC 2015.

Not sure who will air NI qualifiers :)

Elmo wrote: »
    They may keep they same film schedule but not the same movies as ITV/STV/UTV .

TV3 will air RWC 2015.

Not sure who will air NI qualifiers :)

Not sure what you meant by "...who will air NI qualifiers."
    There is no Northern Ireland (NI) national rugby team as the Ireland rugby side represents all 32 counties on the island of Ireland.

Not sure what you meant by "...who will air NI qualifiers."
    There is no Northern Ireland (NI) national rugby team as the Ireland rugby side represents all 32 counties on the island of Ireland.

In soccer. I don't think their are qualifiers for the RWC?

In soccer. I don't think their are qualifiers for the RWC?

Ah right, Northern Ireland football qualifiers...

Well, it will not be UTV Ireland as this is only licenced and intended for broadcast across the Republic of Ireland.

Not sure if Sky Sports, BT Sport or ESPN will bid for live exclusive rights?

Otherwise, you are probably looking at either: BBC Northern Ireland or UTV(NI)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,797 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I don't think anybody wants to show NI qualifiers so red button on Sky Sports is my guess

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Sky have the rights to the "Home Nations" except England's qualifiers

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Indeed, UTV's own sports department was shut down many years ago. Aside from NI qualifiers and certain GAA games in Sky, almost all televising of local NI sport is done by the BBC. The Irish League doesn't have a live TV rights deal anymore after Sky ended its coverage.

Sport on the ITV network is dying death by a thousand cuts. Most is gone or moved to ITV4. They will lose what club football remains at the end of this season. All that will remain post RWC will be England's European Qualifiers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

icdg wrote: »
    Indeed, UTV's own sports department was shut down many years ago. Aside from NI qualifiers and certain GAA games in Sky, almost all televising of local NI sport is done by the BBC. The Irish League doesn't have a live TV rights deal anymore after Sky ended its coverage.

Sport on the ITV network is dying death by a thousand cuts. Most is gone or moved to ITV4. They will lose what club football remains at the end of this season. All that will remain post RWC will be England's European Qualifiers

Which are moving back to BBCSport

No, they're not - at least not for the moment - the current deal has only just begun and will run through to the 2018 World Cup:

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/may/14/itv-rights-england-qualifiying-matches

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

lertsnim wrote: »
    I don't think anybody wants to show NI qualifiers so red button on Sky Sports is my guess

Not red button but shown on a Sky Sports channel. They are also shown in highlights by ITV network.

Not really bothered by irish produced programming, more concerned by the first few days schedule, loose women, Jeremy Kyle,judge rinder, old movies! It's rubbish isn't it, hope it improves. The only plus is that for soap fans emmerdale and corrie are now available to series link and record on sky in Hd as opposed to the terrible SD quality on tv3.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭formerly scottish paddy

UTV have been a absolutely clear and up front about what their intention is. To be ITV for the Republic of Ireland. No more, no less
    Well if that is the case then they should have local news bulletins at weekends like every other ITV "region" (including today at 17:40!) so what's their excuse?
    They cannot be classed as a serious rival to RTÉ news if they only provide a Monday to Friday service, look at the number of big stories that have broken at the weekend over the years!

Well if that is the case then they should have local news bulletins at weekends like every other ITV "region" (including today at 17:40!) so what's their excuse?

It's not an ITV region.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭Infoanon

They cannot be classed as a serious rival to RTÉ news if they only provide a Monday to Friday service, look at the number of big stories that have broken at the weekend over the years!

They are serious rival to TV3 not RTE, RTE are funded by the licence fee and advertising which makes it impossible to challenge on local news coverage etc.

efb wrote: »
    Sky have the rights to the "Home Nations" except England's qualifiers

Exactly my point were obsessed with another nations national team and won't support or follow the other "home" nations, I was being ironic. Terrible to think UTV don't support their own country in sport, we're expect much sport from them here?

They really don't have the resources to bid against Sky for Northern Ireland games. In the era of UEFA central selling of these games UTV and BBC NI don't stand a chance I'm afraid.

They really don't have the resources to bid against Sky for Northern Ireland games. In the era of UEFA central selling of these games UTV and BBC NI don't stand a chance I'm afraid.

You'd think the itv network would bid for all home nations, anyway. Or that uefa would sell nation by nation

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭ITV2

some of UTV Irelands promo videos running on Saorview channel 6.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,096 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Can someone explain this to me.

I'm on UPC - will I have UTV Ireland and UTV NI next week?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

Can someone explain this to me.

I'm on UPC - will I have UTV Ireland and UTV NI next week?

You'll have UTV Ireland only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭endakenny

so basically news shut down for the weekend like tv3? for all the money they are spending its a shame to see it turning into just what some had predicited... ITV network with a few token irish inserts and news. I had hoped for better I must admit.

Why are the weekend public service requirements for commercial broadcasters looser in the Republic than in the UK, i.e. lack of weekend news on TV3 and, apparently, UTV Ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,096 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

You'll have UTV Ireland only.

Thats crap.

Theres loads of programmes that I heard utv Ireland wont be showing like broadchurch and downton abbey!!!

Also Coronation Street won't be the same at all without Julian Simmons commentary.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Thats crap.

Theres loads of programmes that I heard utv Ireland wont be showing like broadchurch and downton abbey!!!

Also Coronation Street won't be the same at all without Julian Simmons commentary.

Get Freesat and Saorview and save yourself some money while you are at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Saw the line up for NYD. It's crap compared to utv Ni.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭dublinbusdude

Does anyone know if Stars In Their Eyes will be on UTV Ireland on the 10th Jan?

Seemingly so
    ENTERTAINMENT: Harry Hill's Stars in Their Eyes
    On: UTV Ireland HD
    Date: Saturday 10th January 2015 (starting in 13 days)
    Time: 19:00 to 20:00 (1 hour long)

Harry Hill gives the legendary transformation show a makeover in a brand new series. Five members of the public will utter the famous words 'Tonight Harry I'm going to be...' before walking through the iconic smoky doors. The winner of each show will go through to a Not Live Final with the chance to pick up the coveted Stars In Their Eyes trophy.
    (New, Stereo, Widescreen, High Definition, Subtitles)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Excerpt taken from DigiGuide - the world's best TV guide available from http://www.getdigiguide.tv/?p=1&r=53031

Copyright (c) GipsyMedia Limited.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭dublinbusdude

Thanks lertsnim

• Registered Users Posts: 23,867 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I take it this also means the end of the ITV news from London?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Interestingly adding sport to the schedule at a later stage might be in their thoughts

https://twitter.com/mw_utv/status/547317150323843072

Advertisement