Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The ITV Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Moving The Chase to 5:30 seems an odd one. I would have thought they'd stick as much as they could to the ITV schedule which people are used to.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,867 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The days of on screen continuity announcers are surely long over. No surprise UTV still use it in the north given society there seems to be in a 30 year perpetual time warp anyway.

It says "new channel, new ideas" on the website but there is nothing new or innovative here at all as far as I can see unless they are planning to do something radical with current affairs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭Delta2113

iseegirls wrote: »
    Moving The Chase to 5:30 seems an odd one. I would have thought they'd stick as much as they could to the ITV schedule which people are used to.

- Come six-one people stick on the news. In future they may not even bother with The Chase -5pm is far better start. Some people even switch over to tv3 at 5.30pm for news and leave The Chase.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

Delta2113 wrote: »
    - Come six-one people stick on the news. In future they may not even bother with The Chase -5pm is far better start. Some people even switch over to tv3 at 5.30pm for news and leave The Chase.

In our house we watch tipping point at 4 and the chase at 5 then the sixone news. It seems daft alright as we will just continue the same routine without turning on UTVIrl having the luxury of doing this with a combi FTA box and having UTVHD at number 4 on the EPG!

The days of on screen continuity announcers are surely long over. No surprise UTV still use it in the north given society there seems to be in a 30 year perpetual time warp anyway.

What on earth do you mean by that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

The lineup is poor really with a lot of filler programmes to replace the stuff they dont have the rights to. Once February comes expect a lot of people querying with UPC why they cant see champions league on UTV!

UPC customers have Setanta Ireland which shows the Champions League 2nd pick matches.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I would imagine that having no more access to an ITV network on cable here will cause quite a bit of negative feedback. Im sure most customers except for boards.ie members are not even aware that they are ditching the ITV network from Wedesday midnight.

I know UTV Ireland is launching but why are they removing UTV NI, they are 2 completely separate networks offering only a few overlaps. Were they forced to remove UTV Ni once UTV Ireland gets going or are they just getting rid of the NI service to avoid confusion having 2 UTV's on one cable network? Perhaps they may add an ITV region like ITV London instead to avoid confusion?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

UTVI has announced Hyundai will sponsor Coronation Street on the channel - http://utv.ie/Press/2014/12/29/hyundai-gears-up-for-sponsorship-of-coronation-street-25804

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

It says "new channel, new ideas" on the website but there is nothing new or innovative here at all as far as I can see unless they are planning to do something radical with current affairs.

Have to say I always think TG4's in vision announcers to be very professional and good host, though they also do the weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

Gonzo wrote: »
    I would imagine that having no more access to an ITV network on cable here will cause quite a bit of negative feedback. Im sure most customers except for boards.ie members are not even aware that they are ditching the ITV network from Wedesday midnight.

I know UTV Ireland is launching but why are they removing UTV NI, they are 2 completely separate networks offering only a few overlaps. Were they forced to remove UTV Ni once UTV Ireland gets going or are they just getting rid of the NI service to avoid confusion having 2 UTV's on one cable network? Perhaps they may add an ITV region like ITV London instead to avoid confusion?

I think you raise a very interesting point there which gives those who have Sky Digital or Free To Air digital satellite an edge as they can manually tune in other ITV regions and keep access to the excellent itv news programmes supplied by ITN from London. UPC may be sorry they were forced down this avenue as I expect there may be a negative backlash from some of their customers after New Year's Day onwards!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭galtee boy

Gonzo wrote: »

Its UTV themselves who want only UTVI on UPC. They dont want to split viewers between two channels and upset the advertisers.They want everyone watching Emmerdale etc on UTVI so as to be able to get good advertising rates from the agencies.The handful of people who can access other ITV regions via satellite, doesnt bother them, but UPC does,as they have 500,000 odd customers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭Infoanon

galtee boy wrote: »
    Its UTV themselves who want only UTVI on UPC. They dont want to split viewers between two channels and upset the advertisers.They want everyone watching Emmerdale etc on UTVI so as to be able to get good advertising rates from the agencies.The handful of people who can access other ITV regions via satellite, doesnt bother them, but UPC does,as they have 500,000 odd customers.

Handful of people ?! There are more Sky TV subscribers in Ireland than UPC alone before you add in the number of Freesat viewers.

Infoanon wrote: »
    Handful of people ?! There are more Sky TV subscribers in Ireland than UPC alone before you add in the number of Freesat viewers.

By handful, I meant of all the Sky subscribers, how many actually bother using the other channels menu, where you can't record, series link etc. I know Sky have 600,000 subscribers in ROI, but those using other channels, would be very much in the minority, I would guess, however maybe I'm wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭Infoanon

By handful, I meant of all the Sky subscribers, how many actually bother using the other channels menu, where you can't record, series link etc. I know Sky have 600,000 subscribers in ROI, but those using other channels, would be very much in the minority, I would guess, however maybe I'm wrong.

I would suggest that a majority of Sky subscribers know the shortcut to the other channels menu (and which the last update allows you to change channel within other channels ) and view eg ITV HD / Channel 5 etc - the fact that Sky installers tend to set up 'other' channels for subscribers also helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,797 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Not forgetting that Sky also used to advertise the fact that UTV could be tuned in via Other Channels on promotional materials.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭Griffinx

Can't believe that Benidorm wont be on UTV Ireland... is there any way to see it?

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭formerly scottish paddy

endakenny wrote: »
    You forgot about Gillian Porter. It would be more accurate to say that UTV is the last ITV Network franchise holder to have in-vision continuity.
    More like the last TV station to have in vision continuity (they haven't gone away up here you know! ;))

Infoanon wrote: »
    I would suggest that a majority of Sky subscribers know the shortcut to the other channels menu (and which the last update allows you to change channel within other channels ) and view eg ITV HD / Channel 5 etc - the fact that Sky installers tend to set up 'other' channels for subscribers also helps.

How do you change from say ITV to BBC News within other channels ?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

More like the last TV station to have in vision continuity (they haven't gone away up here you know! ;))

Not really, they're not even the last television station in Ireland to have in vision continuity, even not counting UTV Ireland. TG4 also does.

There is nothing wrong with having in vision continuity announcers like UTV or TG4 ... Just as long as it isnt Julian Simmons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭Griffinx

irishfeen wrote: »
    There is nothing wrong with having in vision continuity announcers like UTV or TG4 ... Just as long as it isnt Julian Simmons.

The best part of Corrie on UTV are Julian's intros... they're hilarious

Griffinx wrote: »
    The best part of Corrie on UTV are Julian's intros... they're hilarious
    It not really - it's terrible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

Apologies if this has been mentioned before, but UTVIreland is on Saorview channel 6. So where is the RTE News Now channel going?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,797 ✭✭✭lertsnim

It's on 21.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

madmaggie wrote: »
    Get a free to air box and you'll have all the BBC, ITV and Channel 4 regions. :)

Satellite box that is, and a dish pointing at 28.8E (the 'Sky' position).

How do you change from say ITV to BBC News within other channels ?

It will largely depend on how old/which version of Sky Digibox you use. Some Irish subscribers (or former subscribers like myself) have been using the same old bog standard definition (SD) Grundig satellite receiver (set top box) since 2001 which has the original Sky Digital menu electronic programme guide (epg) layout. If the Free-To-Air channel is not on the Irish EPG, you must first manually ADD each channel in question
    (e.g.) BBC News channel, itv, itv2, itv3, itv4, itvbe, citv, itv+1,itv2+1,itv3+1,itv4+1, UTV (NI), itv Wales, STV, Channel 5, Channel 5+1, Channel 5+24, 5*, 5*+1, 5USA, 5USA+1 and once each channel is saved correctly the way to locate these channels is to enter the "Other Channels" menu option. Once in there you will be able to use the Left/Right or Up/Down arrow buttons and then Press Select button within the compass section of your Sky Remote Control.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

For many programmes from itv will be available to record on sky plus, including some ITV programmes Tv3 are adding.

I wonder how many watching UTV will notice

Elmo wrote: »
    For many programmes from itv will be available to record on sky plus, including some ITV programmes Tv3 are adding.

That is the one of the up sides with UTV Ireland being on the Irish Sky EPG from launch night on Thursday 1st of Jan. TV3 will still have some stuff from the itv Studios catalogue even though 3 are losing the high profile British soap operas: Emmerdale and Coronation Street. RedRock the new Irish soap drama looks exciting from those promo trailers. I can't wait to view it from Wednesday 7th Jan and I'm glad it has an 8:30pm time slot WED+THURS as it avoids a clash with the other big soaps on other channels!

Of course anyone manually adding channels into "Other Channels" such as: BBC News channel, itv, Channel 5 etc; on a Sky PLUS Digibox cannot series link or use the Sky+ programme recording features as they need to be on the epg itself as far as I know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Griffinx wrote: »
    Can't believe that Benidorm wont be on UTV Ireland... is there any way to see it?

It's on the channel on the Thursday 8th January at 9pm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

iseegirls wrote: »
    It's on the channel on the Thursday 8th January at 9pm.

a strange schedule change? surely if they have the rights to it they should show it at the same time as the ITV network.

Advertisement