Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The ITV Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,560 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

I'm just surprised and somewhat disappointed that in numerous short film profiles of different national attractions and film footage of certain counties, I have not yet seen any film footage from Cork City or County (Ireland's largest county and 2nd city), Limerick, Galway, Waterford and so on! If places like Cork, Limerick, Galway etc; will have UTV Ireland news bureaus one would think you would showcase these county profiles too or am I missing something here?

I keep seeing the same film footage as we get closer & closer to launch night (now less than 48hrs away) Dublin City Centre, Skerries Co. Dublin, Clare, Donegal, some attraction in Tipperary, Boyne Valley Bridge in Co. Meath and a scene not all that typical from Killarney over and over again. I would be curious about some of the choices used and repeated over and over again rather than adding fresh material from more counties along with more of our national attractions throughout the Republic of Ireland. Some strange choices and so far I'm not impressed as we get closer to launch as this feels like it will be just another station that does not give a damn about other cities/counties in the regions of Ireland. We are used to RTÉ not always giving adequate in-depth coverage and/or low priority or token coverage in terms of some big local events from outside Dublin and I fear that UTV Ireland will replicate this type of policy too. I hope I am wrong as we need at least one national broadcaster to focus on the regions for a change as Dublin is already very well catered in my view.

I'm not being rude, but is this a joke?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,797 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Out of interest can you add UTV Ireland under 'other channels' on a Sky HD box? If so do you know what the parameters are for it?

I'm sure it can be added but I am also sure it is viewable on Irish Sky viewing cards only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,426 ✭✭✭✭L1011

irishfeen wrote: »
    I remember a while back seeing UTV's MD on Twitter saying there is more scenes on the way .. To be fair to UTV, they haven't even launched here yet - maybe give them a month to see if more arise.

Once the channel has launched they - hopefully! - won't be showing promo loops that often.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

L1011 wrote: »
    Once the channel has launched they - hopefully! - won't be showing promo loops that often.
    Well they will probably use shorter versions while introducing the start of the next programme when the on-screen announcers are not around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

Lads is ITV Ireland HD free to view...free to air or is it only available via Sky HD if watching on sat??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Lads is ITV Ireland HD free to view...free to air or is it only available via Sky HD if watching on sat??
    SD available with any sky subscription, SD&HD with a HD sub...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

irishfeen wrote: »
    Well they will probably use shorter versions while introducing the start of the next programme when the on-screen announcers are not around.

They are almost certainly the channel idents - they use the same soundtrack as UTV NI's idents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭patrickmooney

People are so confused about this launch. For many on UPC it will come as a surprise. My father today asked has ITV Dublin started. BTW Benidorm is being repeated on ITV4. Hopefully it won't be blocked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

People are so confused about this launch. For many on UPC it will come as a surprise. My father today asked has ITV Dublin started. BTW Benidorm is being repeated on ITV4. Hopefully it won't be blocked.

DTV in dundrum town centre it should go on Saorview at least!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,884 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

I have to admit I do feel like we are being had to an extent here.

Anyone who has UPC has had access to the four main UK terrestrial channels since God knows when and with one foul swoop, one of those is being removed and replaced with an Irish channel, which will replicate some but by no means all of that channel's output.

Now I wish UTV Ireland well, but I don't see why I should lose the third UK channel (ITV1) at the same time. I do like ITN news, and sometimes watch Good Morning Britain - why should I have to forego these?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

lxflyer wrote: »

Anyone who has UPC has had access to the four main UK terrestrial channels since God knows when and with one foul swoop, one of those is being removed and replaced with an Irish channel, which will replicate some but by no means all of that channel's output.

Now I wish UTV Ireland well, but I don't see why I should lose the third UK channel (ITV1) at the same time. I do like ITN news, and sometimes watch Good Morning Britain - why should I have to forego these?

I agree. Once again we get the Paddy spec ITV. I had a quick look at the listings in the TV Now magazine and it looks pretty dire, looking like other channels are still going to be used frequently:mad:

lxflyer wrote: »

Its a bad deal for UPC viewers true, in many ways we are sacrificing our access to the full ITV network schedule in order to get UTV onto Sky and Saorview.

However as I say we'll still have access to ITV2, ITV3, and ITV4 (if a cut-down version of ITV4) on our EPG, most people don't watch UTV as much as they used (ITN is certainly, if not as bad as it was in the 2000s, certainly a pale shadow of its pre-1999 self), and ITV will have lost most of its key sporting rights at the end of this season. I would imagine that the differences between UTV and UTV Ireland will slowly lessen and lessen (particularly after TV3 loses the rights to its remaining ITV Studios programming in 2016). The X Factor surely has more years behind it than on front of it. I'd also hope that ITV will change its commissioning arrangements in the future so it gains ROI rights to more of its own schedule which can then be broadcast on UTV Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,884 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

icdg wrote: »
    Its a bad deal for UPC viewers true, in many ways we are sacrificing our access to the full ITV network schedule in order to get UTV onto Sky and Saorview.

However as I say we'll still have access to ITV2, ITV3, and ITV4 (if a cut-down version of ITV4) on our EPG, most people don't watch UTV as much as they used (ITN is certainly, if not as bad as it was in the 2000s, certainly a pale shadow of its pre-1999 self), and ITV will have lost most of its key sporting rights at the end of this season. I would imagine that the differences between UTV and UTV Ireland will slowly lessen and lessen (particularly after TV3 loses the rights to its remaining ITV Studios programming in 2016). The X Factor surely has more years behind it than on front of it. I'd also hope that ITV will change its commissioning arrangements in the future so it gains ROI rights to more of its own schedule which can then be broadcast on UTV Ireland.

It's not just ITV news - it was another perspective on UK politics, and indeed NI politics - plenty of people are interested in that here as well - I just think this seems to be washed over.

As I said - it's the loss of the third UK channel that I feel annoyed about.

I still have yet to see confirmation of what will happen the analogue cable channel that is currently ITV1 (UTV NI).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

utv ireland is on the sky epg
    number 116

I Live in NI. Can I add it on a NI card?

I'd be surprised if that did not also become UTV Ireland. We'll see tomorrow...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

I'm not being rude, but is this a joke?

It's not a joke at all - it's an obvious omission from UTV Ireland and a clear observation about a channel claiming to have arrived in Ireland! What a joke!

They made such a big deal about UTV Ireland having regional news offices based in various cities but I've seen absolutely no footage/loops of any of these same regions after their long lead-in countdown.

If UTV Ireland is not prepared to include major areas of Ireland (i.e.) Cork, Limerick, Galway, Waterford etc; it is probably a sign of yet another Irish TV channel that will rarely cover much happening from outside "The Pale". I was hoping they might do things a little differently in their approach but I won't hold my breath.

Presumably they would have wanted to hook people and be inclusive with their promos but they may well have just alienated people from areas not covered. They could learn a trick or two from another channel called: IRISH TV when it comes to dedicate time for ALL Counties! I will probably continue watching The 5:30 News on TV3 as Southern Correspondent, Paul Byrne is usually a very solid performer where news events from Cork are concerned. In fact, it is interesting that Paul declined to take up a similar role with UTV Ireland despite an offer made.

I still wish UTV Ireland well and I hope I end up being completely wrong on this but their choice of film footage would appear to indicate that any local coverage is going to be all about Dublin and just token coverage squeezed in for rest of the country! First impressions last though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,560 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

It's not a joke at all - it's an obvious omission from UTV Ireland and a clear observation about a channel claiming to have arrived in Ireland! What a joke!

They made such a big deal about UTV Ireland having regional news offices based in various cities but I've seen absolutely no footage/loops of any of these same regions after their long lead-in countdown.

If UTV Ireland is not prepared to include major areas of Ireland (i.e.) Cork, Limerick, Galway, Waterford etc; it is probably a sign of yet another Irish TV channel that will rarely cover much happening from outside "The Pale". I was hoping they might do things a little differently in their approach but I won't hold my breath.

Presumably they would have wanted to hook people and be inclusive with their promos but they may well have just alienated people from areas not covered. They could learn a trick or two from another channel called: IRISH TV when it comes to dedicate time for ALL Counties! I will probably continue watching The 5:30 News on TV3 as Southern Correspondent, Paul Byrne is usually a very solid performer where news events from Cork are concerned. In fact, it is interesting that Paul declined to take up a similar role with UTV Ireland despite an offer made.

I still wish UTV Ireland well and I hope I end up being completely wrong on this but their choice of film footage would appear to indicate that any local coverage is going to be all about Dublin and just token coverage squeezed in for rest of the country! First impressions last though

Anyway.

Does anybody consider that the UTV Ireland channel listings already published is going to be a serious threat to the other channels in multi-channel land? I've seen numerous negative posts from people who seem to prefer the UTV NI schedule so; apart from UPC viewers UTV Ireland could be facing competition from their very own sister channel up in Belfast rather than competition from the likes of TV3 and RTÉ One & RTÉ 2!

TV Viewers on either of the below options may still prefer to watch UTV(NI) or Other itv regions as follows:
    (i) on Free-To-Air digital satellite set top box
    (ii) on Sky Digital Ireland (by manually tuning into UTV(NI) or Other itv channels frequency and watching it via "Other Channels" option)

Now this would be an own-goal if it was allowed to happen!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭SPDUB

Michael Wilson the MD of UTV has tweeted that the switchover of UPC's UTV feed will be from 7pm tomorrow

https://mobile.twitter.com/MW_UTV/status/550301867457396737?p=v

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭dublinbusdude

So anyone without digital with UPC wont be able to get UTV Ireland on analogo from tomorrow evening!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭SPDUB

So anyone without digital with UPC wont be able to get UTV Ireland on analogo from tomorrow evening!

I presume Analogue would be switched at the same time as Digital

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭dublinbusdude

SPDUB wrote: »
    I presume Analogue would be switched at the same time as Digital

Thats what I through!! thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Does anybody consider that the UTV Ireland channel listings already published is going to be a serious threat to the other channels in multi-channel land? I've seen numerous negative posts from people who seem to prefer the UTV NI schedule so; apart from UPC viewers UTV Ireland could be facing competition from their very own sister channel up in Belfast rather than competition from the likes of TV3 and RTÉ One & RTÉ 2!

TV Viewers on either of the below options may still prefer to watch UTV(NI) or Other itv regions as follows:
    (i) on Free-To-Air digital satellite set top box
    (ii) on Sky Digital Ireland (by manually tuning into UTV(NI) or Other itv channels frequency and watching it via "Other Channels" option)

Now this would be an own-goal if it was allowed to happen!

UTV had a 3% share I image this will drop to 1% Die hard UTV fans .

Your right UTV doesn't pose a threat to other channels rather it will initially eat into their own audience and TV3's giving the~7% audience for UTV Ireland.

With TV3's sports rights and Xfactor they will hold on to there yearly audience or a 9% to 10% .

Happy new year everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

The UTVI Player app is now live in the Apple app store at least. There's nothing to watch yet though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

Brian017 wrote: »
    The UTVI Player app is now live in the Apple app store at least. There's nothing to watch yet though

Android app here,

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=tv.u.ireland.android

Elmo wrote: »
    UTV had a 3% share I image this will drop to 1% Die hard UTV fans .

Your right UTV doesn't pose a threat to other channels rather it will initially eat into their own audience and TV3's giving the~7% audience for UTV Ireland.

With TV3's sports rights and Xfactor they will hold on to there yearly audience or a 9% to 10% .

Happy new year everyone.

Such a wasted opportunity if UTV Ireland ends up shooting themselves in the foot. The removal of the UTV (NI) channel from UPC Ireland altogether from 19:00hrs on Thursday 1st of Jan (New Year's Day) is very likely to irritate some existing UPC Ireland's cable tv customers big time.

Of course it is partly understandable that UTV would want viewers in ROI to watch UTV Ireland rather than UTV (NI) however; they should have thought a bit "outside the box" and recognised that there will be some viewers in the Republic who will miss certain staple programmes like the itv News from the studios of ITN in London. Viewers of UTV Ireland should at least have live access to this service even if it is only via UTVi Player as something like itv News should not conflict with programming rights.

Happy New Year to all on here!

Channel name on UPC has now changed to UTV Ireland, though despite the EPG UTV programmes are continuing.

icdg wrote: »
    Channel name on UPC has now changed to UTV Ireland, though despite the EPG UTV programmes are continuing.

I wonder if you shut down the UPC cable tv set top box for about a full minute and then did a system re-boot, would the appropriate details update correctly?

Sometimes you can have similar issues with radio station names changing but the RDS label does not always update automatically to the new name version.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,611 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Will UTV ireland have such shows as Dickinson Deal and secret dealers. The mother loves those shows

They are shown on ITV

• Advertisement

Headshot wrote: »
    Will UTV ireland have such shows as Dickinson Deal and secret dealers. The mother loves those shows

They are shown on ITV

I've glanced through the various shows referenced on the UTV Ireland website and neither of the TWO shows that you referenced appear on the list outlined from various providers/suppliers at this stage.

If your mother is an existing UPC Ireland cable subscriber, I am afraid she will not be able to see them via the UPC Ireland cable tv platform after 19:25hrs on Thursday 01/01/2015 onwards, at least not in the short term. UTV (NI) will be replaced by UTV Ireland on UPC Ireland as and from 19:00hrs on New Year's Day 2015.

Advertisement