Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The ITV Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

When you look at that list it just shows the absolute dominance of RTÉ - UTVI will have a job to make any impact on RTÉ One shows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭iseegirls

irishfeen wrote: »
    Top 10 - 01/01/2015

1 RTE News: Nine O'clock - 602.3k - RTÉ
    2 RTE News: Six One - 559.4k - RTÉ
    3 EastEnders - 518.7k - RTÉ
    4 Reeling In The Years - 510.3k - RTÉ
    5 Fair City 446.5 - RTÉ
    6 Django Unchained - 434.5k - RTÉ
    7 Getaways - 321.3k - RTÉ
    8 MISSION IMPOSSIBLE - 306.7k - TV3
    9 BRENDAN GRACE: A NIGHT AT THE OPERA HOUSE - 309.1k - TV3
    10 EMMERDALE -223.1k - UTV IRELAND

UTVI will probably take that as a very good start, people at least taking not of where the channel is on the EPG.

Those figures are peaks. Emmerdale actually only got 185,800 on UTV Ireland throughout the whole show.
    According to MediaLive, in October - Emmerdale had an average of 236,000 on TV3 and 52,000 on UTV.

Only 73,000 viewers tuned in for Pat Kenny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,799 ✭✭✭lertsnim

brick man wrote: »
    I do have to say the content on the channel so far is poor and I have pity for people on UPC I am glad I have Saorview & Freesat for UTV NI HD. For people that are not big on sport the Freesat option is a good one pvr etc. and of course UTV NI.

ITV is superior to the awful UTV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

lertsnim wrote: »
    ITV is superior to the awful UTV.

Big advantage of having satellite here in NI. I can watch ITV London on Sky rather than UTV and I don't have to go to 'other channels'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 902 ✭✭✭twinklerunner

Big advantage of having satellite here in NI. I can watch ITV London on Sky rather than UTV and I don't have to go to 'other channels'.

ITV London is not in HD on the NI epg though, is it?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

will the UTV player come to catch up very soon on sky, upc, or a smart tv app

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

ITV London is not in HD on the NI epg though, is it?

No its not and unfortunately you cannot add ITV HD under 'other channels' but having opt out from UTV schedule is still great.

No its not and unfortunately you cannot add ITV HD under 'other channels' but having opt out from UTV schedule is still great.

You can add ITV HD to 'other channels'. Sky updated their software recently to allow this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭desbrook

Just watched Benidorm on "Free live tv " app on my tablet ( ITV+1) . Never thought a new tv channel would lose programmes from the schedule :( thanks a bunch UTV Ireland!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭Infoanon

desbrook wrote: »
    Just watched Benidorm on "Free live tv " app on my tablet ( ITV+1) . Never thought a new tv channel would lose programmes from the schedule :( thanks a bunch UTV Ireland!!!

On UTV Ireland. Thursday 8th Jan at 9pm - not to sure why they have deviated from the UTV NI schedule,probably on the advise of 'experts',but not to clever when UTV NI is available to a large audience via Sky or Freesat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭desbrook

Infoanon wrote: »
    On UTV Ireland. Thursday 8th Jan at 9pm - not to sure why they have deviated from the UTV NI schedule,probably on the advise of 'experts',but not to clever when UTV NI is available to a large audience via Sky or Freesat.

To quote Veruca Salt " but I want it NOW daddy! "

The schedule for the first two nights on UTVI was terrible. Why deviate so much from UTV/ITV? They will never compete for Irish programming with RTE or TG4 anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Is there any plans for this to go HD anytime soon?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

Richard wrote: »
    Yes, but that is how the presenter in London refers to things.

A bit of an overreaction. UTV will presumably make changes to this new channel to incorporate more ITV programmes as they acquire the rights. And ITN news might appear. But they're branding themselves as an Irish channel so they understandably want to avoid a UK news programme. I presume ITN-sourced news will appear on Ireland Live anyway.

I would have been referring to the TV Continuity presenters on UTV Ireland who are based in Dublin who would introduce the next programme. Unlike the other itv regions, they would NOT use the script: And now for the "national" news from London.

While I do see that there is naturally more focus towards Irish branding, they would do well to also remember that the popularity of UTV (NI) here in the Republic of Ireland down through the years was based on certain key UK programmes that went out on ITV. Such shows would probably include UTV Continuity Announcer, Julian introducing the latest gossip on Coronation Street, Emmerdale, This Morning, The Chase and the highly acclaimed itv News from ITN judging by much of the understandable negative reaction voiced from quite a few UPC Ireland cable tv viewers over the loss of UTV from Belfast.

UPC Ireland will soon discover whether these upset cable tv customers will decide to act by ditching their cable tv subscriptions and switch over to Sky Digital instead to enable them to view UTV (NI) or other itv region by manually adding it to "Other Channels" or else investing in a Free-To-Air digital satellite system with no subscription contract and view what they prefer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭patrickmooney

I think UPC will be the biggest looser in this. Up until now I had never thought about changing, but as there are options to receive ITV here and save a lot of money I'm now thinking of cancelling. I know UPC can't do anything at this stage except increase their fees (which I find comically bad timing). Thanks UTV - you've made me and from the looks of it many UPC customers wake up.

For those viewers in Republic of Ireland, they can also view any itv region such as itv (London) once the correct parameters were loaded if using a generic Free-To-Air digital satellite set top box pointed at the same Astra satellite used by SKY UK. When itv removed the location label ID which used accompany a specific itv channel name it resulted in digital satellite viewers often unsure of which region they happen to be viewing until the local itv regional news broadcasts came on air at certain times.

Below are details for itv (London)

The EIRP values are for Ireland

Astra 2E 28.2 (tp 44 UK)
    Frequency 10.758GHz
    Polarity V for Vertical
    SR 22000
    FEC 5/6
    SID 10060,
    VPID 3328,
    APID Lang. 3329 English

ftakeith wrote: »
    will the UTV player come to catch up very soon on sky, upc, or a smart tv app

The UTV player lets you catch up on all your favourite UTV Ireland programmes on your phone and tablet. Available now on iOS and Android.

However; one would have thought that it would also have been possible to Watch LIVE Internet streams of shows broadcasting on UTV Ireland AND/OR take advantage of Catch-up of programmes on the channel if using a PC/Laptop once they launched the UTV Ireland Player from Day One! Before New Year's Day on TV3, if I had missed Coronation Street (on TV3) I could view it later on 3 Player on my laptop or; I could even watch it LIVE on my laptop but it seems UTV Ireland Player does not have these 2 important functions as of yet which is annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

The UTV player lets you catch up on all your favourite UTV Ireland programmes on your phone and tablet. Available now on iOS and Android.

However; one would have thought that it would also have been possible to Watch LIVE Internet streams of shows broadcasting on UTV Ireland AND/OR take advantage of Catch-up of programmes on the channel if using a PC/Laptop once they launched the UTV Ireland Player from Day One! Before New Year's Day on TV3, if I had missed Coronation Street (on TV3) I could view it later on 3 Player on my laptop or; I could even watch it LIVE on my laptop but it seems UTV Ireland Player does not have these 2 important functions as of yet which is annoying.

I though TV3's live player only had a few live programmes, and none of their imports.

Elmo wrote: »
    I though TV3's live player only had a few live programmes, and none of their imports.

Well I had absolutely no problems viewing Emmerdale and Coronation Street during the period that TV3 used broadcast these shows during 2014 as I used 3Player for this purpose a few times. I'm not too sure about other live shows or other imports on the channel to be honest. But these shows were definitely ok apart from the customary advertisements before and during the programmes!

I just hope UTV Ireland hurry up enhancing their UTV Ireland Player though and that we can also get to view the channel in HD format on Saorview soon as well if they are really serious about taking on RTÉ as they settle in! If they do, TV3 and TG4 will manage to iron out any differences they may have with legacy issues with RTÉ /2RN as they cannot afford to loose too many viewers with the increased competition.

Update from my earlier post:

I can now in fact view a Catch-Up of Coronation Street edition broadcast at 8:30pm on Friday 02/01/2015 on UTV Ireland courtesy of the UTV Ireland Player. Watching LIVE Internet streams of programmes going out on UTV Ireland tv channel through a PC/Laptop is something I am not still unsure about at this time.

• Advertisement

The UTV Ireland Player was updating quickly on launch night I found.

The UTV Ireland Player was updating quickly on launch night I found.

What I think may have happened here is that shows may have deliberately been set to an "inactive" mode on UTV Ireland Player until UTV Ireland's programme rights had officially commenced in real time.

If you look at what is available on UTV Ireland Player right now you can view Emmerdale editions which were broadcast on UTV Ireland on Thursday 01/01/2015 and Friday 02/01/2015 however; I wonder what happens in relation to showing the Omnibus/Repeats for Emmerdale in the days last week that TV3 still had the broadcast rights (i.e.) Mon/Tues/Wed or Omnibus/Repeats of Coronation Street on Mon & Wed of last week?

I suspect UTV Ireland this week will only get to show repeats provided the same show editions were also originally broadcast on UTV Ireland channel not the earlier episodes in the week that were shown on TV3 up until 31/12/2014 inclusive.

I wouldn't have thought there would be any hope of episodes not aired on UTV Ireland showing up on the player. When they show the omnibus I have no doubt they will appear.

This weekend they are showing 2 episodes each from Emmerdale and Coronation Street so they wont be showing any episodes previously aired on TV3

I wouldn't have thought there would be any hope of episodes not aired on UTV Ireland showing up on the player. When they show the omnibus I have no doubt they will appear.

This weekend they are showing 2 episodes each from Emmerdale and Coronation Street so they wont be showing any episodes previously aired on TV3

I had wondered if the Omnibus for those soap serials would be a shortened version this wkd as they were not the rights holders for much of last week episodes when TV3 had the rights.

Emmerdale actually had a whole hour shown on Thursday night (2 episodes)
    Emmerdale had 1 further episode on Friday
    Coronation Street had it's usual Friday night showing (2 separate episodes)

I presume TV3 are not showing a wkd Omnibus of their last episodes as this would seem rather odd now at this stage given that UTV Ireland have already commenced showing these soaps for the foreseeable future.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

No need to keep posting up the tuning details for ITV regions, there's a sticky in satellite with that information

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 86 ✭✭Gilma2010

I'll be checking out this app, thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 223 ✭✭United road

You have to remember though ITV/UTV are losing Champions League rights and apart from a few things on ITV will have next to nothing either across the UK.[/QUOTE]

I did not know that. Who has the rights instead?
    Did it go to another station such as bbc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

You have to remember though ITV/UTV are losing Champions League rights and apart from a few things on ITV will have next to nothing either across the UK.
    I did not know that. Who has the rights instead?
    Did it go to another station such as bbc?

BT sport got a good chunk, probably Sky got the rest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,839 ✭✭✭SteM

greendom wrote: »
    BT sport got a good chunk, probably Sky got the rest.

BT Sports got full champions league rights for the UK from next season. Sky lost their rights. BT Sport may still do deals with other broadcasters to allow them to show certain games but that hasn't been decided yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭radiowaves

Gilma2010 wrote: »
    Come on Sky, give us UTV, ITV2 and +1 in the normal channels.

They can't do that. UTV Ireland launched for a reason...
    Richard wrote: »
    Note that in the UK domestic channels ITV2-4 were available in SD only without an HD subscription. Not sure if this is still the case.

ITV 2-4 SD versions are FTA. They are available without ANY subscription ;)

irishfeen wrote: »
    Since when has St Stephen's Day become "Boxing Day" in Ireland?? :) ... just seen a promo on UTVI advertising a programme on the "Boxing Day Tsunami"

Much of the rest of the world call December 26th Boxing Day and this is reflected in the name of the disaster (which has also been known by a couple of other names - none of them the "Stephens Day disaster" funnily).

As an aside I have never heard any such qualms raised about "9/11" (shouldn't it known or referred to as 11/9 here?).

Advertisement