Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The ITV Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Souriau

This Morning on UTVI they schedule to show the weather at 10.55 to 11.00 but all I saw was Ireland live video loop, no weather report

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

Souriau wrote: »
    Not available to NI

I guess this is still very early days for UTV Ireland at their new ROI Headquarters at Macken House - some things may have to go wrong before they can be put right!

Hopefully they are as outlined herein:

• closely monitoring all output,
    • logging any faults which arise,
    • reporting every fault that does arise to the relevant dept/personnel
    • faults thoroughly researched & investigated,
    • fixing of known issues
    • ensuring no further repeats of the same mistakes going out for broadcast to UTV Ireland channel viewers on air.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭formerly scottish paddy

Where did they get that young robot to read the news :eek: ...............Alison Comyn (the human) looks good thought.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I watched a few minutes of their 10 pm offering and thought the studio camera was looking down on the presenters. Is it just me?

Also, I got the impression of an empty space - like a new house that is unfurnished.

I thought what coverage I saw was OK and dealt with the matter they covered appropriately. Room for improvement, but look like tey may get to a decent standard.

Also, wife had Vincent Brown on - what a bore that man is - shouting people down and smirking at some in-joke. He really is awful. When he reviews the papers, that jumpy infantile software that displays the front page in fuzzy vision should be replaced with the wonderful software used by BBC News.

TV3 - please go away.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭JamesyBelfast

Also, wife had Vincent Brown on - what a bore that man is - shouting people down and smirking at some in-joke. He really is awful. When he reviews the papers, that jumpy infantile software that displays the front page in fuzzy vision should be replaced with the wonderful software used by BBC News.

TV3 - please go away.

Vincent Browne is a legend!!!
    Best thing on TV3.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Best thing on TV3.

If he is the best thing on TV3, it only reinforces my wish - TV3 please go away.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

UTVI's news is terrible

Its worse than TV3/rtetv

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

I thought the news programmes were a bit bland and seemed to be very similar to RTE News. But I suppose we need to give the channel time to develop.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

I thought the news programmes were a bit bland and seemed to be very similar to RTE News. But I suppose we need to give the channel time to develop.
    There is a reason RTÉ news is so popular though - people don't necessarily want presenters jumping around the place making stuff up.. Trusted local news reporting is what people want, from what I have seen so far UTV news ticks a lot of boxes. I think the 10 o'clock news could do very well for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Judging from the ratings that we've been getting from Thursday and Friday, shows around 450,000 to 500,000 viewers watch RTE News At 9.
    The question is - will those same amount of people want to see more news half an hour after RTE News has finished.

Will be interesting to see if ratings from yesterday will appear today through any press releases. Granted UTV Ireland will have done well between 7-9, as Monday is a strong day for the soaps. But I think the main battle would be between Broadchurch vs Ireland Live at 10. And how many viewers tuned in for 6.30 news.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

iseegirls wrote: »
    Judging from the ratings that we've been getting from Thursday and Friday, shows around 450,000 to 500,000 viewers watch RTE News At 9.
    The question is - will those same amount of people want to see more news half an hour after RTE News has finished.

Will be interesting to see if ratings from yesterday will appear today through any press releases. Granted UTV Ireland will have done well between 7-9, as Monday is a strong day for the soaps. But I think the main battle would be between Broadchurch vs Ireland Live at 10. And how many viewers tuned in for 6.30 news.

I would guess it would be Broadchurch but you never know. Tonight will be interesting when people who just tuned in for the first show don't keep tuning in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,799 ✭✭✭lertsnim

With time I think Ireland Live can be very good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I would guess it would be Broadchurch but you never know. Tonight will be interesting when people who just tuned in for the first show don't keep tuning in.

Would be interesting to know how many watched on UTV/ITV/STV at 9pm.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Im getting to like there news now, they have feature stories from around the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 902 ✭✭✭twinklerunner

Elmo wrote: »
    Would be interesting to know how many watched on UTV/ITV/STV at 9pm.

Well we watched it on UTV HD. For some reason the lip sync is out on ITV HD (London version).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,565 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

ftakeith wrote: »
    UTVI's news is terrible

Its worse than TV3/rtetv

I completely disagree. They provide an excellent news service for a commercial station with a population of 1.6 million people and regularly beats it's local rival - BBC NI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,972 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

getting a lot of errors trying to reach pages on player,can anyone get permalink to playback of Ireland Live at 6:30 Monday 5th

http://player.utv.ie/programme/ireland-live

here the one for ireland live at ten

http://player.utv.ie/programme/ireland-live-at-10/472864

now the "Ireland Live" at 630 programme has disappeared from the playback list http://player.utv.ie/all-programmes

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

The other thing that hit me was the "Ireland Live" on-screen logo is too small.
    Surely they should have removed the usual UTV Ireland on-screen DOG and insert UTV in the "Ireland Live" programme logo box during news programmes as I think it would come across far better.

I'm personally of the view that they are missing a trick by not including "UTV" in the programme title. I know they wanted to distinguish it from UTV Live but what about "UTV News" or suchlike? "Ireland Live" is very much regional-newsy which is the very thing they want to avoid.
    The theme music sounds extremely similar to UTV(NI) which has never impressed me as it does not sound remotely Irish or welcoming despite all the green colours in the logo and graphics.

It is not just similar - it is the exact same piece of music UTV Live has used since January 2009 (and the four note signature at the beginning has featured in all their news themes since 1999). I don't get the criticism that its "Not Irish Enough" though - even TG4 doesn't go for a trad piece as their theme (though their original startup theme is a fine example), there is nothing remotely Irish about TV3's news theme, and once you take out the O'Donnell Abu sig there isn't anything Irish about RTE's either.

why is it "Ireland Live" and "Ireland Live at Ten"

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

why is it "Ireland Live" and "Ireland Live at Ten"

Their NI news is UTV Live, I expect they started with that and then decided to distinguish.

• Advertisement

icdg wrote: »
    Their NI news is UTV Live, I expect they started with that and then decided to distinguish.
    why isn't it Ireland Live at 6:30? if they decide to include the time on the Ten news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

why isn't it Ireland Live at 6:30? if they decide to include the time on the Ten news.

Following UTV Live at 6 and UTV Live .... after the 10 O'Clock News!

Ireland Live News at 630 up much earlier to day can't find a permalink for it so i can link directly to it

http://player.utv.ie/programme/ireland-live

are they only leaving it up for a day?

UTV IrelandVerified account ‏@UTVIreland

@lostexpectation There isn't great demand for old news so to keep it fresh each @IrelandLive is available for 24 hours after broadcast.

ugh

do they only have so many ad sold so they take it down, to have the ads on most recent online news

they have items such as the cycling piece which could not be called old news after a day, people will want to see them
    Ireland Live News ‏@IrelandLive

@lostexpectation @UTVIreland We will be making more of the news packages available online in the near future.

Best thing on TV3.

Vincent has been a legend in media circles for many years including his stint in the 1980s as Editor of the now defunct newspaper, The Sunday Tribune. Vincent has also been a regular columnist in various other Irish newspapers such as The Sunday Business Post and The Irish Times in addition to his work at both Magill and Village magazine publications at different stages. He worked at RTÉ also for a number of years and had a brief period as one of the presenters on RTÉ's flagship current affairs programme, Today Tonight if I recall. Later he presented radio programmes on RTÉ Radio 1 called "Tonight with Vincent Browne" and "Midnight Court" in the early-mid 2000s. In more recent years he has been the face of late night currents affairs programmes on TV3 which is also called "Tonight with Vincent Browne" but this has no connection with his previous RTÉ Radio 1 programme. Before he was due to take annual leave last Summer Vincent took ill and spent a period of time away from the cameras but his popular Tonight programme kept running with guest presenters until he returned in September.

Vincent is to be admired among all Irish journalists for asking some of the toughest questions and for demanding clear answers from the IMF/ECB/EU Commission surrounding the whole Irish bailout saga. He has also made the case for a more equal society in terms of the sharing of wealth in the interests of social equality and fairness in society.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 CorkMartin

I like their news so far. Alison Comyn is very professional and the mix of news from around the country is refreshing. It's just nice to have an alternative. Brian Dobson is just jaded at this stage.
    Give UTVI a chance - I think the 10pm slot will do well for them.

N
    icdg wrote: »
    I'm personally of the view that they are missing a trick by not including "UTV" in the programme title. I know they wanted to distinguish it from UTV Live but what about "UTV News" or suchlike? "Ireland Live" is very much regional-newsy which is the very thing they want to avoid.

It is not just similar - it is the exact same piece of music UTV Live has used since January 2009 (and the four note signature at the beginning has featured in all their news themes since 1999). I don't get the criticism that its "Not Irish Enough" though - even TG4 doesn't go for a trad piece as their theme (though their original startup theme is a fine example), there is nothing remotely Irish about TV3's news theme, and once you take out the O'Donnell Abu sig there isn't anything Irish about RTE's either.

Don't get me going on "Ó'Donnell Abú" the signature theme for Radio Éireann/RTÉ Radio 1 - Many years ago in the early-mid 1980s when our national radio channels were required to close down each night, I had the misfortune of waking up early one morning around 06:15am to what sounded exactly like a music box jingle playing of "Ó'Donnell Abú" over and over and over again until RTÉ Radio 1 opened for a new day at 06:30am. It sounded like an infants toy that would not be quiet!

I've always hated that UTV(NI) theme music so much so that if I wanted to follow a particular breaking news story from Northern Ireland, I tended to prefer tuning in to BBC Newsline instead.

I take your point about the theme music on other channels not being very Irish sounding in nature either - I just cannot stand the UTV(NI) and now the "Ireland Live" news theme on UTV Ireland. I just do not find it catchy in comparison to BBC News/itv News/Channel 4 News either. Sky News used also have some great news themes since it first started in 1989 but the current one they have been using since 2010 is so unimpressive compared to what has gone before.

CorkMartin wrote: »
    I like their news so far. Alison Comyn is very professional and the mix of news from around the country is refreshing. It's just nice to have an alternative. Brian Dobson is just jaded at this stage.
    Give UTVI a chance - I think the 10pm slot will do well for them.

You are spot on about Alison Comyn and there is many positive aspects to this news programme. I think Chris Donoghue will rise to the challenge in the same way he has done on NewsTalk. I can assure you that if he was not up to the task he would never have lasted this long at a Denis O'Brien run operation.

That said, I think they will need to tweak things and on my list would be the signature theme music, some of the graphics need to be modified as the "Ireland Live" logo in bottom left corner lacks any real presence on the screen given how tiny the text size/font is. If it was me, I would recommend they remove the usual on-screen DOG (i.e.) UTV Ireland during all their news programmes and insert UTV into "Ireland Live" box enclosure at bottom left corner of screen.

UTV
    Ireland
    Live

All the various colour greens used in different graphics can come across as overkill - a bit more of the subtle reminders that this is Irish is all that is required in my view.

On the positive side, the spread of regional/local news reports is to be commended by their Ireland Live news gathering operation. I hope they keep this up as it is excellent.

I did not get to view much of tonight's full programme

Did any of the below segments form part of the Ireland Live at 10 news programme on UTV Ireland this evening ?

Business News: Currencies, Closing Stockmarkets in Dublin, London, Paris, Frankfurt, New York, Tokyo, Hong Kong
    Sports News: Local, National, Europe, Rest of World
    Entertainment News: Hollywood, Bollywood etc;
    And Finally...(Funny/Strange/Odd human interest type story)
    Preview of Tomorrow Morning's Newspapers with invited guest reviewer(s)

TV3 in Ballymount must be getting uneasy as Tonight with Vincent Browne started earlier tonight at 10:40pm running until around 12:05am so; they are watching this very closely I suspect!

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭JamesyBelfast

Vincent is to be admired among all Irish journalists for asking some of the toughest questions and for demanding clear answers from the IMF/ECB/EU Commission surrounding the whole Irish bailout saga. He has also made the case for a more equal society in terms of the sharing of wealth in the interests of social equality and fairness in society.

Agree completely and IMO he is WASTED being on TV3.
    Loved his grilling of the presidential candidates a couple of years ago and his shows when the IMF bailout started were off the scale amazing.

He is also funny as.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,331 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Why would any news bulletin in this day and age include stock markets and currencies? Anyone actually interested in that sort of thing has had much better sources of information available to them for decades.

On Newstalk it's just an excuse to mention a sponsor. Nobody cares about the figures being read out. It's not news.

Scrap the cap!

Advertisement