Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The ITV Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭iseegirls

TV3 in Ballymount must be getting uneasy as Tonight with Vincent Browne started earlier tonight at 10:40pm running until around 12:05am so; they are watching this very closely I suspect!

Nothing to do with UTVI's news. Their film ended at 10.40, so they began Vincent Browne earlier. It has occurred many times in previous years.

Although, there are special Vincent Browne shows on tonight and tomorrow. one looking back at 1001 nights of the Tonight show, and another reviewing TV3's funded film The Guarantee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

I completely disagree. They provide an excellent news service for a commercial station with a population of 1.6 million people and regularly beats it's local rival - BBC NI.

Reference in post you're responding to was to UTV Ireland news not UTV N. Ireland news!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Do we know yet if the episodes of Benidorm and Birds Of A Feather tomorrow are the new episodes that showing on UTVNI? Can't find any episode information anywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 902 ✭✭✭twinklerunner

irishfeen wrote: »
    Twitter is the exact same - why they didn't leave UTVNI on UPC too is beyond me - what the hell did they expect would happen?

Intersting reply from UTVI on Twitter re: UPC removing the NI version from the platform

https://twitter.com/cottageireland/status/552774780039233537

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭JamesyBelfast

Intersting reply from UTVI on Twitter re: UPC removing the NI version from the platform

Very interesting! Don't believe it though.

If UTV NI was left or put back on UPC (or similarly if it had not been removed from the Sky EPG) - pretty much no-one would be bothering with UTV-Ireland. It would get lost completely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭irishmusicfeed

If UTV NI was left or put back on UPC (or similarly if it had not been removed from the Sky EPG) - pretty much no-one would be bothering with UTV-Ireland. It would get lost completely.

So true... there's no way the decision was left to UPC... why did UTV Northern Ireland geoblock its UTV player on the same day UTV Ireland launched, if that was the case. I think UPC Ireland should just start broadcasting UTVNI as UTV are just playing a game with them. I never watched UTVNI and I am actually impressed with their news coverage on UTV Ireland, but people seem really angry about this change.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

UPC TV viewers in Switzerland get ITV1hd, itv2, itv3 and itv4

the live sport content on itv4 is not blocked

As I have a sister that lives there

its also a few euros cheaper than the upc tv ireland before the increases

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭irishmusicfeed

ftakeith wrote: »

Well from my experience of Switzerland as previously living there (the country is very expensive to live in but)...UPC Cablecom is cheaper than UPC Ireland because firstly two different countries, secondly Switzerland has a population of over 8 million thus services are technically cheaper. In Switzerland telecommunications are more developed and finally under Swiss laws all communications have to be in French, German, Italian and in most cases English hence why UPC Cablecom offers the freely available UK channels to cater to English speakers in the country...

As UTVNI do not hold Republic of Ireland rights maybe ITV will not allow them to screen such content unless its on the new UTV channel. Also UTV Media are to blame they obviously offered UPC Ireland, UTV Ireland as it makes no commercial sense for them to offer UTVNI.... I couldn't care less whether they offer one or the two channels as I don't watch UTV but I am very impressed by their news so much better than TV3 and creates competition which is needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I think that TV3 would be very annoied of UTV Proper continued on UPC. I'd say that UPC took the decision (if it was theirs) to drop UTV because of conflicting rights with TV3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭dubmick

Apologies if already asked, is UTV Ireland in HD on saorview? I can only find the standard definition channel.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

There is only one version of a channel on Saorview. UTVi is only SD at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

There is only one version of a channel on Saorview. UTVi is only SD at the moment.

Always perplexed at why Eircom have HD and SD versions of channels as all of their custs have HD boxes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,799 ✭✭✭lertsnim

ftakeith wrote: »

Switzerland have different rules relating to FTA satellite content being used by cable providers. Also Switzerland are not in the EU

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,565 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

The 6.30 programme seems to be lacking in hard news and seems to fill it's time with longer than normal reports.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

its a weird situation we are in now with this

Saorview: people who only have access to Saorview outside of a FreeView over spill region have clearly gained alot from UTV Ireland. Much more choice as previously just RTE and TV3.

UPC: Huge loss to UPC viewers, loss of all ITV news, Movies and Sport, as well as some drama and entertainment. The added price increase just adds insult to injury.

Sky: another gain. some ITV programming on UTV Ireland is finally recordable and available to some viewers in very high quality HD. Sky have also changed the other channel settings with extra frequency inputs to allow tuning in of HD versions of all ITV regions. ITV HD was not addable for nearly a year and now it's back.

Gonzo wrote: »

Saorview: people who only have access to Saorview outside of a FreeView over spill region have clearly gained alot from UTV Ireland. Much more choice as previously just RTE and TV3.

UPC: Huge loss to UPC viewers, loss of all ITV news, Movies and Sport, as well as some drama and entertainment. The added price increase just adds insult to injury.

Sky: another gain. some ITV programming on UTV Ireland is finally recordable and available to some viewers in very high quality HD. Sky have also changed the other channel settings with extra frequency inputs to allow tuning in of HD versions of all ITV regions. ITV HD was not addable for nearly a year and now it's back.

So big boost for Sky?

I miss ITV News for international news. I never liked the BBC.

endakenny wrote: »
    Who is the English journalist in Boston who Chris was talking to on Monday's Ireland Live at 10? (It disappears from the Player after 24 hours).

I'm guessing it's an ITN reporter for Channel 5. They used an ITN reporter for Paris link up today as well.

It's a big meh and I think they're better off leaving it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭endakenny

I'm guessing it's an ITN reporter for Channel 5. They used an ITN reporter for Paris link up today as well.

Actually, I just found out two minutes ago. He is Nick Harper. Thanks for the reply.

So big boost for Sky?

You can still watch Channel 4 News (produced, like ITV News, by ITN). Furthermore, reports on the ITV News website cannot be watched by internet users outside the UK but reports on the Channel 4 website are available in the Republic. Furthermore, ITN reports appear sometimes on CNN International (ITN is an affiliate with CNN).

Actually, Nick Harper is with CCTV (China Central TV) America.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAwv3Dfdfh4

• Advertisement

Jack Parrock, the reporter who Alison interviewed today, is with China Central TV. It is disappointing that Ireland Live utlises reporters who are employed by the broadcaster of a totalitarian state.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭The Dark Knight

Jack Parrock, the reporter who Alison interviewed today, is with China Central TV. It is disappointing that Ireland Live utlises reporters who are employed by the broadcaster of a totalitarian state.
    Actually, Nick Harper is with CCTV (China Central TV) America.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAwv3Dfdfh4

Interesting.... Thanks for that bit of research.
    Surprised they are not using the ITN network. Of course it would be better if they could hire some irish international correspondents. Maybe one in Europe at least. Maybe in time to come.

Watching "Ireland Live at 10" now.
    Have to say, I'm very impressed with how much it has improved since the launch on Monday. Almost mistake free, and solid performances from all reporters and presenters. Definitely better that TV3 have even been, and comparing OK to RTE. (Apart from RTE having Tony Connolly in Paris).

Speaking of that UTV live link up to Paris....it was probably the worst thing tonight. Felt very unnatural. Have a feeling it was a one-way link.
    May have even been pre recorded.....They'd never to that - would they? :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

You can still watch Channel 4 News (produced, like ITV News, by ITN). Furthermore, reports on the ITV News website cannot be watched by internet users outside the UK but reports on the Channel 4 website are available in the Republic. Furthermore, ITN reports appear sometimes on CNN International (ITN is an affiliate with CNN).

While you are correct, there is still a very unique style to how ITN produce/present itv News @6:30pm Vs Channel 4 News @7:00pm - To me, they are clearly aimed at very different demographics. itv News is informative and entertaining and caters much more for Joe Public in the UK whereas Channel 4 is more stuffy and appeals more to business professionals/white collar employees and is closer in style to BBC 2 Newsnight.

I can fully understand those UPC Ireland subscribers that are upset with UTV/UPC who really miss itv News output which had been an essential ingredient on UTV(NI) and itv network but does not form any part of the newly launched channel UTV Ireland. People are not only loyal to certain channels and brands, they are also loyal to specific programmes and that even includes news programmes that originate from outside this state.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭doc11

While you are correct, there is still a very unique style to how ITN produce/present itv News @6:30pm Vs Channel 4 News @7:00pm - To me, they are clearly aimed at very different demographics. itv News is informative and entertaining and caters much more for Joe Public in the UK whereas Channel 4 is more stuffy and appeals more to business professionals/white collar employees and is closer in style to BBC 2 Newsnight.

I can fully understand those UPC Ireland subscribers that are upset with UTV/UPC who really miss itv News output which had been an essential ingredient on UTV(NI) and itv network but does not form any part of the newly launched channel UTV Ireland. People are not only loyal to certain channels and brands, they are also loyal to specific programmes and that even includes news programes that originate from outside this state.

Ah common ITV news audience would be absolutely tiny. People just don't like the idea of losing a channel. All ITV programes are generously shown across tv3,3e,UTVi and the various ITV (2,3,4,be,encore) channels. Honestly I don't think we need access to a channel to show more episodes of Jeremy kyle. With the 3 Irish channel providing almost continuous news coverage in the evenings, various international 24hr news stations available as well as the remaining british news broadcast I would find it inconceivable that anyone would miss what happened in the house of commons or Royal family.

Another gain is that there is a UTV Player for Internet users in the Republic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Another gain is that there is a UTV Player for Internet users in the Republic.

It's easy to get the other players too.

Saorview has had a bit more than just RTÉ and TV3 to be fair to this Irish owned Free-To-Air (FTA) digital platform. That description almost sounds like only two channels are on offer with the platform! I know some people will complain that it's not FREE because all households are required to have a TV Licence however; if you wish to view any of the Irish terrestrial tv channels with Sky Digital you must always have an active subscription as these services are all encrypted on satellite due to programming rights issues mainly restricted to Ireland in most (if not all) circumstances.

In real terms, I think it is fair to say that you probably get better value for the TV Licence now that you did 5-7 years ago given the bigger choice and wider range of tv/radio services. Hopefully, things will improve further in the next few years on this subscription-free Irish digital terrestrial platform.

Saorview TV:

RTÉ One HD (not yet HD on Sky-not FTA on Sky due to ROI/NI only rights)
    RTÉ 2 HD (not FTA on Sky due to ROI/NI only rights)
    TV3 (not FTA on Sky due to ROI only rights)
    TG4 (not FTA on Sky due to ROI/NI only rights)
    3e (not FTA on Sky due to ROI only rights)
    UTV Ireland (launched 01/01/2015 not FTA on Sky due to ROI only rights)
    RTÉjr (not FTA on Sky due to ROI only rights)
    RTÉ One+1 (not yet on Sky Digital)
    RTÉ News Now (not yet on Sky Digital)

RTÉ Aertel (Digital Teletext Service)

Saorview Radio:

RTÉ Radio 1 fm
    RTÉ Radio 1 Extra
    RTÉ 2fm
    RTÉ lyric fm
    RTÉ Raidió na Gaeltachta (RnaG)
    RTÉ junior (runs 07:00 - 20:58hrs)
    RTÉ chill (runs 21:00 - 06:58hrs)
    RTÉ pulse
    RTÉ 2XM
    RTÉ Gold

doc11 wrote: »
    Ah common ITV news audience would be absolutely tiny. People just don't like the idea of losing a channel. All ITV programes are generously shown across tv3,3e,UTVi and the various ITV (2,3,4,be,encore) channels. Honestly I don't think we need access to a channel to show more episodes of Jeremy kyle. With the 3 Irish channel providing almost continuous news coverage in the evenings, various international 24hr news stations available as well as the remaining british news broadcast I would find it inconceivable that anyone would miss what happened in the house of commons or Royal family.

Well, there seems to be quite a lot of the viewing folk that beg to differ with your analysis since UTV Ireland launched on 01/01/2015 and one of the main programmes people seemed to identify with on the UTV(NI) channel was the loss of itv News despite all the other international news sources available to the audience. I wonder had UTV Media plc and UPC Ireland carried out adequate research in advance of UTV Ireland's launch perhaps they may have avoided such a negative backlash from so many UPC Ireland cable subscribers as it must be an embarrassment to them. itv encore is a complete red herring for starters as it has never been made available as a channel option to Sky Digital viewers here in the Republic of Ireland since that channel launched in 2014 - itv encore is an encrypted channel and is exclusive to Sky Digital subscribers in the UK only. All other itv channels are free-to-air and may be manually added to "Other Channels" on a Sky Digibox or will just be accessible via a generic free to air satellite box once the dish is pointed at the same Astra satellite focused tightly on Ireland/UK.

Other thing I would say that whatever about the House of Commons, you will find that one of the institutions that has always fascinated the Irish public, especially many women, is the British Royal Family whether they care to admit it or not - During the troubles Irish people often loved to hate them and now many people are curious if and when a scandal or controversy develops involving the royals.

If viewers in cable areas have been accustomed to watching certain programmes over many years then they are quite entitled to be upset if it has been pulled at short notice and then hit by a noticeable price hike in their cable tv subscription. If UPC Ireland viewers were used to watching Jeremy Kyle, itv news or any other show multiple times on UTV(NI) this is their choice too especially if they have been paying to receive a cable tv service unlike a free-to-air satellite service. I am ok myself but I can understand their frustration if I was in the same situation I would be disappointed too if I no longer had access to programmes I enjoyed watching on a regular basis over many years. Some people may have been in the middle of following a particular drama series and it may be unavailable on UTV Ireland or else behind in the broadcasting schedule which can irritate viewers too. They have a right to express their views and negative feedback as they have been forgotten about in this whole situation from what I can see.

So big boost for Sky?

Well yes I've always liked itv News on UTV over the years but what about the BBC News channel (and it's sister international version: BBC World News television channel) and the iconic top of the hour countdown sequences with theme music and clock!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVd4o6BjGNs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orcjjmHlKIE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RK-fTFMCbM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Zk1_WePJWc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RprVGZ4g74E

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

I'm not sure what any of that has to do with UTV

Advertisement