Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The ITV Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

SPDUB wrote: »
    In support of AwaitYourReply straight from a newsagents mouth here in Dublin "Any issue with Royals on the cover sells like hotcakes "

Many Irish people down through the years loved their fix of British tabloid newspapers like the now defunct News Of The World, The Sun, Match of the Day, Sky Sports, BBC, ITV, UTV(NI), UTV Ireland, Channel 4 etc; The Royals always sold newspapers and here in this country, Irish people would have bought the red top tabloids to check out the latest gossip on them!

It has often been said that we Irish can be full of many contradictions - no playing of foreign games - hurling & football only! However; while some of the other sports were frowned upon they eventually became popular again: Soccer, Rugby Union, Basketball, Cricket, Hockey, Tennis, Squash, Badminton, Volleyball and so on.

I guess this is also a possible explanation as to why it is can be so difficult for a company like UTV Media plc in Belfast to read us correctly as our attitudes and tastes for a relatively small nation can vary greatly, a bit like the wide range in accents and dialects throughout the length and breadth of Ireland.

endakenny wrote: »
    I suspect that UTV Ireland doesn't use ITN journalists for international news because RTÉ possibly already has such a deal with ITN. For example, ITN (Channel 4 News) journalist Alex Thomson was interviewed on Six-One in the aftermath of the Annecy shootings, which took place in September 2012.

Well they used often take reports from both BBC News and ITN News correspondents down through the years. They were either aired directly from the same BBC/ITN correspondent or sometimes an RTÉ News reporter would do a "voice-over" report using the film footage supplied by the other news agencies. That said, I imagine RTÉ will have much closer ties with ITN Productions nowadays given that new RTÉ London Correspondent is now to be based at ITN's London offices. I am surprised that a public service broadcaster like RTÉ chose a commercial entity ITN over the BBC (UK's public service broadcaster) however; it must have come down to pounds, shillings and pence at the end of the day and ITN also has an excellent track record in terms of news gathering, quality and overall delivery.

icdg wrote: »
    Interestingly, though listings for UTV NI disappeared from the Irish Times last Friday, they have reappeared (in the Variations section) today. The Irish Independent has been carrying both throughout.

I saw both UTV Ireland and UTV NI tv listings on Entertainment.ie last night!

I also looked at a recent issue of the Evening Echo in Cork which had a TV Listings double page spread showing main channels in this order from left to right: RTÉ One, RTÉ2, TV3, TG4, BBC One, UTV Ireland, BBC 2, Channel 4. They also seem to provide regional variations for BBC One/BBC 2 and UTV which seem outdated given the pressure of space and so many channels out there.

Are there many people in Cork & South Munster still choosing to watch Welsh variations now that Sky Digital allows you to add any local UK region if you do not want to look at the default BBC One NI, BBC 2 NI versions ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭MarkK

.... seem outdated given the pressure of space and so many channels out there.
    The Irish Times still has videoplus codes, does anyone still use them?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Gonzo wrote: »
    just to note if this has not been mentioned before but ITV 2 HD, ITV 3 HD and ITV 4 HD as well as Channel 5 HD are now viewable through Irish Sky boxes same as ITV HD and UTV HD. ITV2-4 HD and Channel 5 HD may require a HD sub tho, the others are FTA.
    Maybe not for much longer!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭doc11

SPDUB wrote: »
    In support of AwaitYourReply straight from a newsagents mouth here in Dublin "Any issue with Royals on the cover sells like hotcakes "

You mean the royal wedding and queens visit sold a few papers! amazing:pac:

The amount of covers with royal headinglines in Irishpapers you could count on one hand.All of which would be covered extensively by Irish TV.

The English news cover amazing stories such as members of the house of windsors visitings a random commonwealth countries, Harry acting the maggot or William in the army.It's not news here, and certainly won't sell papers here or abroad.

Anyway I meant that it would be inconceivable that anyone would miss the above news with all the british based news content available on UPC for those that care. Not that I believe many would.

irishfeen wrote: »

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

zorro2566 wrote: »
    Why?
    Sky are on here and if they are constanly reminded about a glitch in the encryption system well then..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭Seanachai

Many Irish people down through the years loved their fix of British tabloid newspapers like the now defunct News Of The World, The Sun, Match of the Day, Sky Sports, BBC, ITV, UTV(NI), UTV Ireland, Channel 4 etc; The Royals always sold newspapers and here in this country, Irish people would have bought the red top tabloids to check out the latest gossip on them!

It has often been said that we Irish can be full of many contradictions - no playing of foreign games - hurling & football only! However; while some of the other sports were frowned upon they eventually became popular again: Soccer, Rugby Union, Basketball, Cricket, Hockey, Tennis, Squash, Badminton, Volleyball and so on.

I guess this is also a possible explanation as to why it is can be so difficult for a company like UTV Media plc in Belfast to read us correctly as our attitudes and tastes for a relatively small nation can vary greatly, a bit like the wide range in accents and dialects throughout the length and breadth of Ireland.

It can create a bit of a conflict in you alright, we're contradictory by nature anyway I think. I have no time for the British establishment and their actions throughout the world but I love English folk music, architecture their landscape etc. I think we compliment each other to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Ratings regarding the news programmes on RTE, TV3 and UTVi in The Herald today.

Summary of the averages between Monday - Wednesday this week:
    507,000 RTE1 - Six One News
    481,000 RTE1 - Nine O'Clock News
    187,900 TV3 - The 5:30
    58,700 UTVi - Ireland Live at 10
    34,600 UTVi - Ireland Live (6:30)

http://www.herald.ie/entertainment/tv-radio/tv3-fired-up-for-ratings-war-as-red-rock-rivals-emmerdale-30893525.html

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

iseegirls wrote: »
    Ratings regarding the news programmes on RTE, TV3 and UTVi in The Herald today.

Summary of the averages between Monday - Wednesday this week:
    507,000 RTE1 - Six One News
    481,000 RTE1 - Nine O'Clock News
    187,900 TV3 - The 5:30
    58,700 UTVi - Ireland Live at 10
    34,600 UTVi - Ireland Live (6:30)

http://www.herald.ie/entertainment/tv-radio/tv3-fired-up-for-ratings-war-as-red-rock-rivals-emmerdale-30893525.html

utv ireland is one reason I got rid of UPC TV years ago
    its terrible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

ftakeith wrote: »
    utv ireland is one reason I got rid of UPC TV years ago
    its terrible

But it's been on air a week...?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

. I am surprised that a public service broadcaster like RTÉ chose a commercial entity ITN over the BBC (UK's public service broadcaster) however; it must have come down to pounds, shillings and pence at the end of the day and ITN also has an excellent track record in terms of news gathering, quality and overall delivery.

In its heyday ITN was every bit the equal of BBC News, and indeed would have been equally regarded as a public service broadcaster despite its private ownership. But those days are long gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

Arggh.why are they showing old birds of a feather its awful.

isnt that the new series

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Sky are on here and if they are constanly reminded about a glitch in the encryption system well then..

You really think Sky staff read posts in here? And then care enough to relay that information back to their engineers? Seriously... not going to happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭reboot

That is a matter of taste.

Very much agree, as I was discussing elsewhere, Old movies being 4k scanned,NHK going straight to 8k,then there is the Ulster Ireland pictures?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭iseegirls

isnt that the new series

I think UTV Ireland are showing Series 10. Meanwhile ITV are showing Series 11.

Outside of the soaps - here is the line up between 7-10:

Monday
    8pm Rare Breed (New - Homemade)
    9pm Doc Martin - Series 5 - Originally broadcast September 2011

Tuesday
    7.30pm - The Cruise Ship - Series 1 - Shown last July 2014
    8pm - Midsommer Murders - Series 14 - Originally broadcast March 2011

Wednesday
    8pm Surprise Surprise - Series 1 - Originally broadcast in October 2012.
    9pm The Bletchley Circle - Series 1 - Originally broadcast in September 2012

Thursday
    8:30pm Birds of A Feather - Series 10 - Originally broadcast in January 2014
    9pm Benidorm (New/Shown on UTV 6 days earlier)

Friday
    8pm James Nesbitt Ireland - Series 1 - Originally broadcast in March 2013
    9pm Undeniable - Series 1 - Originally Broadcast in March 2014

Saturday
    6pm The Cube - Series 2 - From 2010
    7pm Stars in Your Eyes (New)
    8pm Neil Diamond: One Night Only - Shown 2 months ago on UTV
    9.15pm The Great Train Robbery - Shown in December 2013
    11.15pm Spandeu Ballet: True Gold - Shown 2 months ago on UTV

Sunday
    7.00 Martin Clunes & A Lion Called Mugie - Shown March 2014
    8.00 Foyle's War - Series 7 - Shown in 2010
    10:00 The Graham Norton Show (New/Shown on BBC1 two days earlier)

Pretty much says it all. Four new shows in Primetime TV.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

@reboot

Why are you quoting me from post #11 in post number #1187 ?

Monday

Tuesday

Wednesday

Thursday

Friday

Saturday

Sunday

not great shows i admit but its early days, the wife gets soaps in hd (silence for a while), i think it will improve after time, anything is better than what tv3 showed for the last two nights Red Rock, what a load of drivel that was, hyped up as the new soap for tv3, poor acting, story is sooooo slow

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

If you watch Foyles war on UTVi, watch out for the London Transport Routemaster bus that has travelled back in time from the 1960s or later the the 1940s.

They had red buses but they were RTs. Sorry I'll get my anorak.

• Advertisement

great train robbery was shown on bbc1 last year and also shown on the drama channel last month

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭greenman09

I just don't get how these channels have to be so different . Didn't really watch the utvni as when I needed nordy news I watched bbc.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

if anything it will increase the sales of people moving to Sky especially now that UPC have upped their prices and goten rid of the main ITV/UTV network channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

Monday

Tuesday

Wednesday

Thursday

Friday

Saturday

Sunday

yes I admit I am very disappointed with it. I find myself not watching any of it at all and if i do I watch I watch UTVHD not UTVIRL which I can only get in SD being a FTA viewer. They wont be the number 2 station in Ireland if they keep this up. The news programmes hardly rated well at 6.30 earlier judging by the figures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

The Gaurdian is suggesting that they are looking to sell their GB Radio services excluding TalkSport. Communicorp UK are a suggested buyer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭smurfs5

On UPC, UTV Ireland had no sound for the last 20 minutes of Judge Rinder. No continuity announcer to explain what was going on/ to give an apology and no on-screen graphic to offer an apology/ explanation. So amateurish.

smurfs5 wrote: »
    On UPC, UTV Ireland had no sound for the last 20 minutes of Judge Rinder. No continuity announcer to explain what was going on/ to give an apology and no on-screen graphic to offer an apology/ explanation. So amateurish.

i didnt think utv ireland was on upc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,799 ✭✭✭lertsnim

smurfs5 wrote: »

Assuming there was sound on other platforms then it is UPC at fault.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Souriau

My Brother received reply from UTVI about AD
    here is their reply
    Dear ▓▓▓▓▓▓,

Thank you for your email to UTV Ireland.

As a new channel which is still growing we are keen to hear your views and comments.

We are experiencing some technical difficulties around our subtitling and we are working to fix these problems as quickly as possible. We are also speaking to our listing partners as some information has been printed incorrectly regarding which programmes are categorised ‘S’ and ‘AD’.

We hope the issue will be resolved as soon as possible. In the interim please accept our apology for any inconvenience caused.

Once again thank you for getting in touch.

Kind regards

Maeve Donnelly

Advertisement