Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The ITV Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

"County Derry" it is then :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Souriau wrote: »
    My Brother recedived reeply from UTVI about AD
    here is their reply

I think your brother will be very lucky to get AD from either TV3 or UTV Ireland. The BAI have been far to relaxed with their regulation of AD for all channels, so far RTÉ are "testing" AD on EastEnders.

I assume that most international content comes with Subtitling and AD just a case of Irish services providing such services.

Also lets not forget On Screen Signing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

doc11 wrote: »
    You mean the royal wedding and queens visit sold a few papers! amazing:pac:

The amount of covers with royal headinglines in Irishpapers you could count on one hand.All of which would be covered extensively by Irish TV.

The English news cover amazing stories such as members of the house of windsors visitings a random commonwealth countries, Harry acting the maggot or William in the army.It's not news here, and certainly won't sell papers here or abroad.

Anyway I meant that it would be inconceivable that anyone would miss the above news with all the british based news content available on UPC for those that care. Not that I believe many would.

Don't get me wrong, I am not upset that you deeply resent the British Royal Family and British Establishment and all the stuff that comes with it. That's a totally understandable view given the legacy of our troubled history under British rule. However; as a nation we needed to move beyond the hatred and resentment and improve relations as we got absolutely nowhere from 1922-1998 when the Good Friday Agreement was signed. The reaction by so many Irish citizens of Queen Elizabeth II first ever Irish State Visit to the Republic of Ireland in 2011 and her public engagements and historic speech at Dublin Castle showed that the British finally accepted in public that they too made mistakes on Ireland.

I think you are way behind the curve of history in your views in this respect and I also believe that many of those UPC Ireland viewers who are upset at losing their usual programmes on UTV(NI) will make the move to other platforms such as Sky Digital/Free-To-Air digital satellite tv that allow thems continued access to UTV(NI) from Belfast. They can have the best of both worlds and receive UTV Ireland if they choose to subscribe to the Sky Digital's ROI epg.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

No more politics please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

Out of interest can you add UTV Ireland under 'other channels' on a Sky HD box? If so do you know what the parameters are for it?

UTV Ireland is on ch no 116 on a sky box, it is not a free channel an active subscription is required to view it.

• Advertisement

Gonzo wrote: »
    if anything it will increase the sales of people moving to Sky especially now that UPC have upped their prices and goten rid of the main ITV/UTV network channel.

And the other interesting thing is that hard pressed householders should also bear in mind that if you are currently an unhappy UPC/Horizon Ireland cable tv subscriber you do NOT necessarily have to sign up as a new subscriber to Sky Digital. You can go the FreeSat route by opting for the Saorview/Free-To-Air TV Satellite combi set top box which includes satellite dish if you are permitted to have a dish installed at your household property. It's a one off equipment and installation outlay but NO recurring subscription bills ever again!

Saorview gives you all the Irish channels including UTV Ireland and the satellite box will give you access to other Free-To-Air channels on satellite including UTV(NI), Channel 5, 5 Star, 5USA, itv, itv2, itv3, itv4, CITV, itvbe, BBC News channel and so on etc;

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭endakenny

Interesting.... Thanks for that bit of research.
    Surprised they are not using the ITN network. Of course it would be better if they could hire some irish international correspondents. Maybe one in Europe at least. Maybe in time to come.

Watching "Ireland Live at 10" now.
    Have to say, I'm very impressed with how much it has improved since the launch on Monday. Almost mistake free, and solid performances from all reporters and presenters. Definitely better that TV3 have even been, and comparing OK to RTE. (Apart from RTE having Tony Connolly in Paris).

Speaking of that UTV live link up to Paris....it was probably the worst thing tonight. Felt very unnatural. Have a feeling it was a one-way link.
    May have even been pre recorded.....They'd never to that - would they? :-)
    I made a mistake with regard to the international reporters on UTV Ireland.

Nick Harper, who reported from Boston on Monday, and Jack Parrock, who was in Paris on Wednesday, are employed by Feature Story News, although they do reports for CCTV.

http://featurestorynews.com/

https://twitter.com/nickharperfsn

http://jackparrock.blogspot.ie/

Stephanie Freid, who is the Middle-East correspondent for CCTV News International, is a freelancer.

https://www.linkedin.com/pub/stephanie-freid/2/b88/93a

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭mike2084

irishfeen wrote: »
    Maybe not for much longer!

Think it would be best to say as little as possible about tuneable HD channels alright :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Think it would be best to say as little as possible about tuneable HD channels alright

my comment was a bit misleading, what i meant was while there is alot of FTA ITV 1-4 availability as well as channel 5 and it's sister channels available free to air the availability of HD versions of ITV 2,3,4 and Channel 5 HD may bring others to sky (those HD channels are encrypted but watchable with a Sky HD sub).

Im sure Sky are well aware some viewers can see HD versions of ITV-2-4 as well as Ch5, with the current situation of UPC, keeping this is only a good thing for Sky and I won't be getting rid of my HD sub anytime soon with these extra HD channels viewable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

steveon wrote: »
    UTV Ireland is on ch no 116 on a sky box, it is not a free channel an active subscription is required to view it.

I live In NI and have been able to access UTV Ireland HD under 'other channels'. I have an active subscription which includes HD.

• Advertisement

I live In NI and have been able to access UTV Ireland HD under 'other channels'. I have an active subscription which includes HD.
    Ssshhhhhh ;) .. or yourself and the rest of our northern brothers might find that ending!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,433 ✭✭✭✭L1011

There isn't a chance in hell that Sky aren't already fully aware of this.

L1011 wrote: »
    There isn't a chance in hell that Sky aren't already fully aware of this.
    They are turning a blind eye to it of course but they will act eventually if it's very common knowledge.. Or if TV3 complain..

They are turning a blind eye to it of course but they will act eventually if it's very common knowledge.. Or if TV3 complain..

I wonder is UTV Ireland also able to be added under 'other channels' across the water? I guess it is.

I wonder is UTV Ireland also able to be added under 'other channels' across the water? I guess it is.
    Ssshhh :)

Ssshhh :)

I can assure you that UTV Ireland is most likely to be blocked on Sky Digital unlike UTV(NI) and most of the other itv regions. Simple reason is same as all other main Irish terrestrial channels had to adopt the same policy due to protection of programme rights issues.

It is not a huge difference in terms of audience size and costs for BBC, itv, Channel 4 being also viewed in ROI however; it would cost Irish broadcasters such as RTÉ, TV3, UTV Ireland and TG4 much much more if they went Free-To-Air on digital satellite outside of the island of Ireland due to same english language and our proximity to the UK.

I can assure you that UTV Ireland is most likely to be blocked on Sky Digital unlike UTV(NI) and most of the other itv regions. Simple reason is same as all other main Irish terrestrial channels had to adopt the same policy due to protection of programme rights issues.

It is not a huge difference in terms of audience size and costs for BBC, itv, Channel 4 being also viewed in ROI however; it would cost Irish broadcasters such as RTÉ, TV3, UTV Ireland and TG4 much much more if they went Free-To-Air on digital satellite outside of the island of Ireland due to same english language and our proximity to the UK.

Are you hinting that UTV Ireland may still be available unencrypted for viewers in NI?

Are you hinting that UTV Ireland may still be available unencrypted for viewers in NI?

nothing is unencrypted and it might be free to view rather than free to air.

Decrypted (yes I am slightly being a word nazi)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I think he meant 'in the clear'. :)

Afraid not - UTV Ireland is highly unlikely to be Free-To-Air for Sky Digital viewers up in Northern Ireland as UTV Media plc will not want their sister channel UTV(NI) losing tv viewers. The programme rights secured for both channels in each jurisdiction will also come into play. If I recall, The Good Friday Agreement allowed for certain things to happen in terms of broadcasting so; RTÉ One, RTÉ2 and TG4 are now meant to be available in Northern Ireland however; TV3/3e/UTV Ireland are not as far as I know. That said, some of the content such as certain Sport/some movies/series may be blocked from time to time on those three Irish terrestrial channels shown in Northern Ireland.

If it was not such a major issue, viewers of UTV in Northern Ireland would have been permitted to view all the exact same series and episodes content in chronological order but this clearly does not seem to be the case with the notable exceptions of: Emmerdale and Coronation Street. Here UTV Ireland had already acquired the exclusive rights in ROI as soon as the contracts for these particular soap drama serials on TV3 had expired on 31/12/2014 last.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Thurston?

Pippy Baby wrote: »
    Rumour has it UTV Ireland will be gone before the summer.

Did you just start the rumour there now? :)

Or where did this 'over when it's hardly begun' prediction come from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭endakenny

Why would anyone in Northern Ireland want to watch UTV Ireland anyway?!

Pippy Baby wrote: »
    Powers that be are shocked with the vitriolic feedback

:confused: Vitriolic feedback? From who? I can't see how it would inspire any kind of strong emotion, haven't so much as glanced at it myself, wasn't even going to bother tuning it in. More apathy than vitriol, & I'd be pretty sure that's how most people feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

Thurston? wrote: »
    :confused: Vitriolic feedback? From who? I can't see how it would inspire any kind of strong emotion, haven't so much as glanced at it myself, wasn't even going to bother tuning it in. More apathy than vitriol, & I'd be pretty sure that's how most people feel.

I wouldnt say they will be gone but the feedback has been 90% negative on social media, but not vitroilic, more like telling it as it is, especially from UPC customers. Its especially evident that they didnt fully research the market here and thought a combination of soaps that they paid a fortune for and showing old series of Foyles War etc would be a ratings winner.
    they need to learn from their audience reaction that its not acceptable and a big improvement is needed if any of their programmes are to rate well other than Corrie and emmerdale.

... especially from UPC customers.

Ah, I was forgetting some people are stuck with it as their sole 'ITV 1' service, & lost the NI version because of it. On Saorview, it's just a channel gained, & any other ITV region you want is free to air on satellite.

Thurston? wrote: »
    Ah, I was forgetting some people are stuck with it as their sole 'ITV 1' service, & lost the NI version because of it. On Saorview, it's just a channel gained, & any other ITV region you want is free to air on satellite.

"ITV 1" as a channel brand name is no more...it reverted back to just "itv" for it's main channel name with itv+1 as the timeshift version for this channel. The other channel names continue to be known as before (i.e.) itv2, itv2+1, itv3, itv3+1, itv4, itv4+1, Citv, itvBE, itvENCORE*

Note: * denotes itvENCORE is not a Free-To-Air digital satellite channel. It is an exclusive Sky Digital subscription channel aimed at Sky TV's United Kingdom customers only.

UTV Ireland has failed to understand its audience no matter which way you look at it.

Other than the daily ITV soaps and daytime programmes it really has nothing.

Repeats can work but the shouldn't interfer with the rest of the Prime Time Schedule.

If UTV Ireland wanted to allow Saorview and Sky viewers catch up they could easily strip their late night and early morning schedules with old episodes of foyle's war followed by Doc Martin an so on. Instead they put old episodes in Prime Time and rotate This is UTV Ireland.

They could also put ITN News on instead of Teleshopping.

The lack of film and other non-ITV programmes also shows that in the past year they did little to improve the type of programme that they had.

As was said in the TV3 thread
    Carnacalla wrote: »
    Irish television is more replays then anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,217 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Elmo wrote: »
    UTV Ireland has failed to understand its audience no matter which way you look at it.

Repeats can work but the shouldn't interfer with the rest of the Prime Time Schedule.

If UTV Ireland wanted to allow Saorview and Sky viewers catch up they could easily strip their late night and early morning schedules with old episodes of foyle's war followed by Doc Martin an so on. Instead they put old episodes in Prime Time and rotate This is UTV Ireland.

The lack of film and other non-ITV programmes also shows that in the past year they did little to improve the type of programme that they had.

I agree completely.

I quite like the comedy cartoons late night on 3e, maybe UTV would consider playing these a little earlier? Family guy and american dad etc. I think tv3 really undersell these.

I also watched UTVs Rare breed this evening, I turned it off about half way through, I thought it was the most lifeless Irish programme ever made.

If UTV made a few Irish documentaries or other programmes to fill its schedule, then it may attract the audiences. At the moment its like a cheaper version of tv3, which I have always considered cheap. At least tv3 had the balls to make their own soap!

Elmo wrote: »

For UTV Media plc it seems the launching of UTV Ireland channel was simply a vehicle for obtaining the necessary Public Service Broadcaster (PSB) licence in the Republic of Ireland in order to get critical access to all of the major digital tv platforms that had previously been off limits to UTV(NI) sister channel based out of Belfast. UTV Ireland with it's new Dublin HQ now has a guaranteed slot on the Sky Digital ROI platform for the first time, Freesat digital satellite platform for non-Sky subscribers, Saorview slot for Irish digital terrestrial tv, UPC Horizon digital cable tv and eircom e-Vision.

UTV Ireland may choose to bid at a later stage (after 12months approx.) for more quality produced material in terms of exclusivity for ROI programme rights if and when they hit their ratings/advertising revenue targets. However; those of us with digital satellite with continued access to all itv network channels will probably not notice a huge difference from UTV Ireland going forward.

• Advertisement

Carnacalla wrote: »
    I agree completely.

I quite like the comedy cartoons late night on 3e, maybe UTV would consider playing these a little earlier? Family guy and american dad etc. I think tv3 really undersell these.

I also watched UTVs Rare breed this evening, I turned it off about half way through, I thought it was the most lifeless Irish programme ever made.

If UTV made a few Irish documentaries or other programmes to fill its schedule, then it may attract the audiences. At the moment its like a cheaper version of tv3, which I have always considered cheap. At least tv3 had the balls to make their own soap!

Well programmes like Rare Breed-A Farming Year, James Nesbitt's Ireland, Lesser Spotted Journeys (off-shoot of Lesser Spotted Ulster) do not excite me a whole lot. Neither would I jump up & down with more options to catch Jeremy Kyle, Loose Women, Lorraine and This Morning but I suppose they probably fill a lot of daytime gaps in the UTV Ireland schedule in addition to the soap dramas and Ireland Live/Ireland Live@10 news programmes.

I will watch the soaps if not busy and the odd day may check out some of their news if I'm curious about a story not covered properly by RTÉ or TV3. Alison Comyn is getting more impressive by the day and Chris Donoghue will take a bit more time to come across as more spontaneous in front of a camera. He seems to have opted for a tiring schedule with Ireland Live at 10:00pm news considering he must be up at the crack of dawn as he also presents NewsTalk 106-108 Breakfast on Radio @06:30am with Ivan Yates.

Advertisement