Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The ITV Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭formerly scottish paddy

Carnacalla wrote: »
    His facial expressions are just priceless
    He has facial expressions?.............did this robot person actually do a screen test?.........if he did who watched it..........and still gave him a job!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,217 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

He has facial expressions?.............did this robot person actually do a screen test?.........if he did who watched it..........and still gave him a job!

Not really facial expressions, he looks (and sounds) like a cheap robot. Really funny:P

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Not really facial expressions, he looks (and sounds) like a cheap robot. Really funny:P
    Actually not a cheap robot but a very expensive robot (because it almost looks human!) :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

http://www.iftn.ie/news/?act1=record&only=1&aid=73&rid=4287927&tpl=archnews&force=1

Interesting that UTV Ireland have no imports or international news
    I also have Elementary and The Blacklist in the Sky+ and when I find time, I think they are both fabulous. I'm also a news fan and along with UTV Live and Ireland Live, I normally watch a cross section of two or three other national/international programmes across an evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,799 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Elmo wrote: »
    http://www.iftn.ie/news/?act1=record&only=1&aid=73&rid=4287927&tpl=archnews&force=1

:confused: The schedule is 90% imported from the UK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭iseegirls

I think they have a Canadian show called Republic Of Doyle on Sunday nights at 11pm. However the series finished after 6 seasons last month in Canada. A strange purchase.

lertsnim wrote: »
    :confused: The schedule is 90% imported from the UK.

Sorry I mean US imports

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Ireland Live have showed at least one international news story any time I have watched.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

icdg wrote: »
    Ireland Live have showed at least one international news story any time I have watched.
    Yes in fact any time I have watched they have had maybe two or three on a given night.

icdg wrote: »

I assume he means ITN, BBC News Channel, Sky News, CNN etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭irishmusicfeed

Anyone see the ITV promos which accidentally came on UTV Ireland at 19:00 prior to Stars In Their Eye's? Ooops

Anyone see the ITV promos which accidentally came on UTV Ireland at 19:00 prior to Stars In Their Eye's? Ooops
    No, what was on it?

I saw an ITV promo about losing weight one of the mornings I had it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 CorkMartin

Couldn't believe they lasted for so long. A full promo for an ITV show with Dermot O'Leary on next week and then the ITV indent with a girl and a hula hoop. So UTVI are relaying directly from the ITV network and not UTV NI. In all the years watching UTV I don't think they ever showed main ITV graphics in prime time accidentally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

CorkMartin wrote: »
    Couldn't believe they lasted for so long. A full promo for an ITV show with Dermot O'Leary on next week and then the ITV indent with a girl and a hula hoop. So UTVI are relaying directly from the ITV network and not UTV NI. In all the years watching UTV I don't think they ever showed main ITV graphics in prime time accidentally.

This is interesting alright. In bygone years, RTÉ used often get caught out in the same way when they used take live feeds of certain shows such as: BBC tv: Top Of The Pops and if the show was delayed on BBC One, RTÉ 2 used have to fill the space looking ahead to programmes coming up later on in the evening but occassionally if transmission on BBC One was delayed for a long period, then RTÉ 2 might eventually cut away and the then ident for BBC tv, the BBC1 globe would end up appearing on RTÉ 2 as well!

Also when Top Of The Pops would play out at the very end BBC One used often cut away before the end of the closing video/performance and up would come a promo of their Saturday morning young people's programme such as "Saturday Superstore" with Mike Reid & Co. or "Going Live" with Philip Schofield & Co. would be seen on RTÉ 2 before someone would cut away and run a promo for "Anything Goes" with Aonghus McNally, Dave Heffernan, Mary Fitzgerald & Kathy Parke on Saturday mornings on RTÉ One instead!

I can't remember if the same happened when RTÉ2 used also take feeds for "THIS IS YOUR LIFE" or "Coronation Street" from ITV.

The complete lack of any form of NEWS programming on UTV Ireland over the whole of the weekend is very disappointing but not surprising given that their primary aim is to be entirely commercial.

However; I would seriously question why the Minister for Communications and various broadcasting authorities like the BAI/ComREG had not sought additional assurances from UTV Media plc/UTV Ireland about their future plans with regards to News & Current Affairs programming output across Sat/Sun/Bank Holidays? When UTV came knocking on the Minister's door seeking an Irish PSB licence this would have been the perfect opportunity to look for a favour from UTV in return with regards to their committments towards devoting similar amount of time to News & Current Affairs programming across the week-end days (same amount of time as UTV NI does)

I sometimes wonder if broadcasters in Ireland in general are required to have a minimum % or a minimum number of hours/minutes of News & Current Affairs across a week/month/year which the broadcaster is permitted to rotate in any way shape or form which in theory may explain why we have absolutely zero coverage of news on Sat/Sun/Bank Holidays. If I am not mistaken, it's sister commercial channel UTV(NI) in Northern Ireland has managed to broadcast a few news programmes on each day of the weekend! They are probably required to do so under their UK Channel 3 licence terms across UK I suspect?

The complete lack of any form of NEWS programming on UTV Ireland over the whole of the weekend is very disappointing but not surprising given that their primary aim is to be entirely commercial.

However; I would seriously question why the Minister for Communications and various broadcasting authorities like the BAI/ComREG had not sought additional assurances from UTV Media plc/UTV Ireland about their future plans with regards to News & Current Affairs programming output across Sat/Sun/Bank Holidays? When UTV came knocking on the Minister's door seeking an Irish PSB licence this would have been the perfect opportunity to look for a favour from UTV in return with regards to their committments towards devoting similar amount of time to News & Current Affairs programming across the week-end days (same amount of time as UTV NI does)

I sometimes wonder if broadcasters in Ireland in general are required to have a minimum % or a minimum number of hours/minutes of News & Current Affairs across a week/month/year which the broadcaster is permitted to rotate in any way shape or form which in theory may explain why we have absolutely zero coverage of news on Sat/Sun/Bank Holidays. If I am not mistaken, it's sister commercial channel UTV(NI) in Northern Ireland has managed to broadcast a few news programmes on each day of the weekend! They are probably required to do so under their UK Channel 3 licence terms across UK I suspect?

TV3 argued that UTV Ireland should not appear on Saorview as it is not a PSB. The minister with the advice of his civil servants under the broadcasting act took it to announce they UTV Ireland was public service in nature to allow it go on Soarview however the act also allow the PSB mux to carry channels should space be available for their broadcast, and it would be unlikely that Irish Law could prevent UTV Ireland going on Saorview as such a move would go against the EU's AVWF directive. Also the question of how 3e is a PSB would have to be considered.

As UTV Ireland has a different licence to TV3 under the act (though there is nothing to suggest that it could have the same licence as TV3). It seems the only reason not to give them the same licence as TV3 is purely because the BAI don't accept such application.

TV3 and radio stations do have minimum Current Affairs and News from the BAI. Though TV3 have moved to reduce those targets.

BTW RTÉ and TG4 have no such requirements, more worrying it the near complete dropping of news from RTÉ2.

But you are right the minister gave them PSB status without any requirements, UTV could always drop all Irish programming from its schedules tomorrow and it still doesn't pay the BAI the Broadcasting Levy that its sister radio stations do.

TV3 argued that UTV Ireland should not appear on Saorview as it is not a PSB. The minister with the advice of his civil servants under the broadcasting act took it to announce they UTV Ireland was public service in nature to allow it go on Soarview however the act also allow the PSB mux to carry channels should space be available for their broadcast, and it would be unlikely that Irish Law could prevent UTV Ireland going on Saorview as such a move would go against the EU's AVWF directive. Also the question of how 3e is a PSB would have to be considered.

As UTV Ireland has a different licence to TV3 under the act (though there is nothing to suggest that it could have the same licence as TV3). It seems the only reason not to give them the same licence as TV3 is purely because the BAI don't accept such application.

TV3 and radio stations do have minimum Current Affairs and News from the BAI. Though TV3 have moved to reduce those targets.

BTW RTÉ and TG4 have no such requirements, more worrying it the near complete dropping of news from RTÉ2.

But you are right the minister gave them PSB status without any requirements, UTV could always drop all Irish programming from its schedules tomorrow and it still doesn't pay the BAI the Broadcasting Levy that its sister radio stations do.

I think it is outrageous that stations get away so lightly - UTV Ireland, TV3, 3e, RTÉ2, TG4, RTÉ One and all future Irish PSB designated channels must be obliged to carry adequate News & Current Affairs programming as specified by the Minister for Communications/BAI/ComREG. The terms and conditions would need to be quite specific and enforced to ensure we are not left with the current status quo as this is completely unacceptable - it would even need to indicate when broadcasting of these type shows must take place such as between certain hours on all relevant days which include SAT/SUN/Bank Holidays so that broadcasters cannot abuse the situation and stick on a repeated current affairs/news programme in 30min slots such as during graveyard shifts - just to get around any directives issued.

Certain exceptions may be permitted in terms of reduced coverage of (e.g.) 15 mins per News bulletin is allowed from Christmas Eve up to New Year's Day inclusive and between Good Friday and Easter Monday inclusive or other exceptions as announced by the Minister for Communications office.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

http://www.independent.ie/business/media/utv-blames-weak-ratings-on-sky-and-upc-s-price-hikes-30915637.html

the ratings are down because their content is mostly crap

I predict UTV ireland will buy TV3, UTV ireland will take over 3e place on EPG places

ftakeith wrote: »
    http://www.independent.ie/business/media/utv-blames-weak-ratings-on-sky-and-upc-s-price-hikes-30915637.html

the ratings are down because their content is mostly crap

I predict UTV ireland will buy TV3, UTV ireland will take over 3e place on EPG places

No mention of other ratings UTV aren't going to be worried about either news show if they have 300,000 viewers for the soaps.

• Advertisement

A poor excuse if ever I heard one. They will want to cop onto themselves very quickly and start showing programming at the same time as ITV and buying in much more content that isn't ITV.

Showing older series of tv shows because they haven't been seen here on an Irish channel before is a rather stupid approach as the more up to date episodes are freely available to anyone with a satellite dish and anybody who wants to watch it on cable will more than likely have already seen the older episdes on UTV from Norhtern Ireland.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

lertsnim wrote: »
    A poor excuse if ever I heard one. They will want to cop onto themselves very quickly and start showing programming at the same time as ITV and buying in much more content that isn't ITV.

Showing older series of tv shows because they haven't been seen here on an Irish channel before is a rather stupid approach as the more up to date episodes are freely available to anyone with a satellite dish and anybody who wants to watch it on cable will more than likely have already seen the older episdes on UTV from Norhtern Ireland.

most people feel that way

Their news programmes are too wooden, with everyone looking as thought they are s**t scared to make a mistake, they need to relax more.
    I think that UTV management are beginning to realize that starting a TV station "down south" is not the walk in the park they thought it would be......expect to see changes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Their news programmes are too wooden, with everyone looking as thought they are s**t scared to make a mistake, they need to relax more.

Was the news set designed by Jor-El?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,217 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Maybe news should be like that! RTE certainly are not afraid to make mistakes (Aengus). There has been some good comedy moments on RTE news over the past years.

Also, are the RTE news people told what to wear? Im not a lover of the weather woman in her banana dress.......

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭irishmusicfeed

Had a good laugh at the Sunday Independent article on UTV, they blame both Sky and UPC for their inept ability to operate a channel. I never watched UTV NI so it makes no difference to me but I am suprised at how UTV Ireland news programming is receiving such low figures. It's definitely worthy of more viewers. I am also glad to see TV3 are beating them in the ratings they're programming is still not great but at least they have invested in Irish programming in the last few years... UTV Ireland don't have the opportunity to take Xfactor etc from TV3 until at least 2016/2017 by then the channel will be lucky to even have viewers....I think UTV rushed their launch in the republic and should have given it another year to sort out broadcasting contracts and looked at what the Irish TV market is really missing... Some programming is just repetitive and already available for example Rare Breed isn't needed as RTÉ, TG4 and the Satillite channel Irish TV already air such rural programming... UTV Ireland seems like a huge mistake at this stage it wasn't planned out well from the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

It does seem they put all their eggs in the one basket with only buying itv studios programming. And then they dont even show the latest series of some of it. A serious rethink is needed if they are to succeed in their business plan to be number 2. They arent even showing Paul O Grady's animal orphans programme on Tuesday night, which one would have thought is extremly popular and an ITV studios programme!

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭EdmondShiels3

I only watch a few programs on it, Coronation street and the news some nights. Also I watch the chase because it is over at half six and I can then watch home and away. If it was not there I would have continued to watch it on itv +1 at six for the chase. I would not miss it if it was gone. The only thing I thought it would do is make tv3 a better channel but this has not happened yet. At least they are trying to make more Irish programming unlike utv which are using the ni programs they have made for the that channel on utv Ireland.

1 Coronation Street 360
    2 Coronation Street 330
    3 Coronation Street 315
    4 Coronation Street 303
    5 Coronation Street 277
    6 Emmerdale 275
    7 Emmerdale 262
    8 Emmerdale 244
    9 Emmerdale 234
    10 Emmerdale 233
    11 Emmerdale 226