Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The ITV Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 CorkMartin

Elmo wrote: »
    1 Coronation Street 360
    2 Coronation Street 330
    3 Coronation Street 315
    4 Coronation Street 303
    5 Coronation Street 277
    6 Emmerdale 275
    7 Emmerdale 262
    8 Emmerdale 244
    9 Emmerdale 234
    10 Emmerdale 233
    11 Emmerdale 226
    12 Surprise Surprise 110
    13 Rare Breed: A Farming Year 109
    14 Birds Of A Feather 108
    15 James Nesbitt's Ireland 95
    16 Midsomer Murders 83
    17 The Cruise Ship 80
    18 Doc Martin 78
    19 Undeniable 67
    20 The Kyle Files 61

Those top 10 ratings are probably way higher than RTE2's average top 10, and not far off TV3's. UTVI can't be too unhappy after such a short time on air.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

sorry for being lazy but what channel on sky is this utv ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

CorkMartin wrote: »
    Those top 10 ratings are probably way higher than RTE2's average top 10, and not far off TV3's. UTVI can't be too unhappy after such a short time on air.

It's about the same as RTÉ2. The only difference is Coro St and Emmers but that's to be expected.

The only channel that Coro St has yet to appear on is TG4.

Saorview 6
    UPC 110
    Sky 116
    E-vision 108

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭zeebre12

Why didn't they call the channel UTV 5..?is it meant to be our 5th channel?, like channel 5 in the UK (because news on the channel)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,217 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

zeebre12 wrote: »
    Why didn't they call the channel UTV 5..?is it meant to be our 5th channel?, like channel 5 in the UK (because news on the channel)?

I think someone needs a quick look at the old tv menu.

Utv were the 9th channel to launch on saorview.

The channels that launched before it are:
    RTE ONE
    RTE TWO
    TV3
    TG4
    3e
    RTE ONE+1
    RTE JUNIOR
    RTE NEWS NOW.

Even if you exclude the last 3 who don't have wide coverage, Utv was the 6th channel to launch with coverage on most major tv platforms.. UTV Ireland is also a far better name IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

A better name might have been Ireland TV or just ITV, because that is what they show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 902 ✭✭✭twinklerunner

A better name might have been Ireland TV or just ITV, because that is what they show.

Or UTVR. The R could stand for both Republic of Ireland and Repeats :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

the NTA decision is a strange one. They seem to have been outbid by tv3 for it by all accounts, yet werent even going to show it until people asked them on Twitter to show it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 902 ✭✭✭twinklerunner

the NTA decision is a strange one. They seem to have been outbid by tv3 for it by all accounts, yet werent even going to show it until people asked them on Twitter to show it.

It makes you wonder if they really know their audience 'down south'.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

NTA awards means nothing to most TV viewers

'whale rider' was the only thing I recorded on UTV ireland on my sky box as it was shown on saturday 3/1/15
    The soaps repeats takeover that timeslot now

UTVI is a terrible TV channel

UTVI will merge or buy TV3 in a panic around 2016 than all the ITV content will then be on UTVI that will replace 3e on EPG placement
    TV3 will show all the homemade TV content in the future

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

TV3 must have breathed a sigh of relief when they see how awful UTV is.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Gits_bone wrote: »
    TV3 must have breathed a sigh of relief when they see how awful UTV is.
    IMO opinion they would be very foolish to think this is it from UTVI.. When Irish rights become available over the next few years they can expect fierce competition.

ftakeith wrote: »
    NTA awards means nothing to most TV viewers

TV3 will show all the homemade TV content in the future

on the contrary, with the death one of Coronations streets most popular charatacters, you will find that the NTA's will rate very highly and the irish interest in them is always big.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Or would be, if TV3 hadn't decide to wait till Saturday instead of showing them live. I'm not sure what that is all about. (For added cheek, they are listed as "The National Television Awards - Live!" even though they will be three days old.)

icdg wrote: »
    Or would be, if TV3 hadn't decide to wait till Saturday instead of showing them live. I'm not sure what that is all about. (For added cheek, they are listed as "The National Television Awards - Live!" even though they will be three days old.)

Probably because RedRock is on tonight and they didnt want to preempt it....

Kinda ruins any sort of suspense involved in the occasion though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭iseegirls

They repeated the Soap Awards 2014 before Christmas at 9pm on a Monday, and the rating did very well for a Monday night. And this was a ceremony that was first broadcast in May. Found it really odd that viewers would've switched on for it. Maybe they were under the impression that it was new and kept watching.

I though they were on TV3?

Elmo wrote: »
    I though they were on TV3?

The NTAs? They are. On Saturday....

The NTAs? They are. On Saturday....

So UTV Ireland don't have the rights to show them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

It happens to be the name of the programme, It is a bit like buying a carton of 'Fresh Milk' - it still says it is fresh on the carton long after it has gone sour.

They would have to edit the programme to change its name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Charles Slane

It happens to be the name of the programme, It is a bit like buying a carton of 'Fresh Milk' - it still says it is fresh on the carton long after it has gone sour.

Perfect analogy, ha ha!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 17 Jack Nana

How can this station fund itself with such poor viewing numbers. Surely only a matter of time before its kaput.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Souriau

UTV Ireland news theme music shouldn't be the same as UTV Live news
    I was at home today and the TV was on but not watching it as others were
    then I heard the UTV Live news theme music playing so I went in to watch it only to see is not Belfast news but Dublin news, as I wanted to watch the latest news from Newcastle of elderly couple died in the caravan.

Now I see is stupid to have same music for UTV news for UTV Live and UTV Ireland Live.
    It would been far better to have it own idenity theme music for UTV Ireland Live, more Irishness feel to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,799 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I'd imagine most people here wouldn't have a clue what the UTV Live music is.

Jack Nana wrote: »
    How can this station fund itself with such poor viewing numbers. Surely only a matter of time before its kaput.

They've worked it out, Coro St and Emmers are bringing them an audience, as time goes one they will start moving some programming and looking for other programming. But the launch was not well managed, over the last year UTV Ireland should have bought US programming, considered their audience and made a number of good Irish commissions, even something like The Restaurant would have served them well (pardon the pun).
    Souriau wrote: »
    I wanted to watch the latest news from Newcastle of elderly couple died in the caravan..

I know your (Souriau) not part of the argument which says "I am not interested in what happens north of the boarder" but if something like this happened like this in the North would you be interested? The question is not directed at you Souriau.

Souriau wrote: »
    UTV Ireland news theme music shouldn't be the same as UTV Live news
    I was at home today and the TV was on but not watching it as others were
    then I heard the UTV Live news theme music playing so I went in to watch it only to see is not Belfast news but Dublin news, as I wanted to watch the latest news from Newcastle of elderly couple died in the caravan.

Now I see is stupid to have same music for UTV news for UTV Live and UTV Ireland Live.
    It would been far better to have it own idenity theme music for UTV Ireland Live, more Irishness feel to it.

As I say there is nothing remotely "Irish" about either TV3 or TG4's themes. RTE has O'Donnell Abu at the moment, but go back to any of their themes over the previous 40 odd years and there was nothing remotely Irish about them either.

its seems major fallout on twitter for utvireland not showing the NTA's last might. A huge amount of negative tweets. TV3 even responding to the negative tweets saying they have it exclusively and taking great joy in the tweets. This is probably the biggest mistake UTVIRL has had so far in programming failing to realise that with Corrie and Emmerdale featuring highly on the NTA's (and even Eastenders) that they wouldnt pay the money for the rights and letting TV3 swoop in for it as a spoiler tactic.

That's a bit cheeky of TV3. It's not UTV's fault that TV3 have the rights, it's TV3's fault for not showing it live when they had the rights to do so. The deal with TV3 may have been a long term one done before UTV even entered the market.

• Advertisement

its seems major fallout on twitter for utvireland not showing the NTA's last might. A huge amount of negative tweets. TV3 even responding to the negative tweets saying they have it exclusively and taking great joy in the tweets. This is probably the biggest mistake UTVIRL has had so far in programming failing to realise that with Corrie and Emmerdale featuring highly on the NTA's (and even Eastenders) that they wouldnt pay the money for the rights and letting TV3 swoop in for it as a spoiler tactic.

Bigger mistake of TV3 by not show it live. TV3 had the rights through other packages. Do really see why UTV are to blame for TV3's schedule

Advertisement