Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The ITV Thread

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Very interesting note regarding Good Morning Britain in UTVs FAQs - the insinuation is that they do have the rights to show it and may do so if there's enough demand out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 902 ✭✭✭twinklerunner

icdg wrote: »
    Very interesting note regarding Good Morning Britain in UTVs FAQs - the insinuation is that they do have the rights to show it and may do so if there's enough demand out there.

I presume that the only complication is that they would need to have Irish news during the 'local news' opt outs.

I presume that the only complication is that they would need to have Irish news during the 'local news' opt outs.

Yes. By way of background, ITV pays UTV for the news it provides during Good Morning Britain in NI, as this is provided under the ITV Breakfast franchise not the UTV one. UTV Ireland would have to provide these bulletins at its own costs. They could always just run some sort of breakfiller but I think they'd want to do it properly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,799 ✭✭✭lertsnim

This is probably the biggest mistake UTVIRL has had so far in programming failing to realise that with Corrie and Emmerdale featuring highly on the NTA's (and even Eastenders) that they wouldnt pay the money for the rights and letting TV3 swoop in for it as a spoiler tactic.

Have you considered that UTV Ireland were unable to bid for them? This "fallout" against UTV Ireland shows how clueless people are about all of this and why using the UTV brand was idiotic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

I think the audience are a little confused that UTV Ireland ≠ ITV UK so the programming is going to be substaintally different and the other Irish channels may snap up aspects of ITV programming.

There's no particular reason why ITV would sell programming to UTV over TV3 or RTE if those other organisations bid more money for it.

UTV Ireland is not an ITV affiliate channel.

• Advertisement

SpaceTime wrote: »
    I think the audience are a little confused that UTV Ireland ≠ ITV UK so the programming is going to be substaintally different and the other Irish channels may snap up aspects of ITV programming.

There's no particular reason why ITV would sell programming to UTV over TV3 or RTE if those other organisations bid more money for it.

Well there is - UTV have a deal with ITV for all of the programming it actually makes. This is not where the problem arises.

The problem arises with programmes that are shown on ITV but not made by ITV. ITV does not buy the worldwide rights to the programmes it commissions from independents (producers who are not Channel 3 licencees - which by law must make up 25% of the network schedule and the schedule of every licencee). These independent producers retain the right to sell the Irish (and other rights) to these programmes to someone other than UTV Ireland. It is (mostly) these programmes that all the fuss is over.

But anything actually made by ITV itself must be sold to UTV. That's the deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

Well there is - UTV have a deal with ITV for all of the programming it actually makes. This is not where the problem arises.

The problem arises with programmes that are shown on ITV but not made by ITV. ITV does not buy the worldwide rights to the programmes it commissions from independents (producers who are not Channel 3 licencees - which by law must make up 25% of the network schedule and the schedule of every licencee). These independent producers retain the right to sell the Irish (and other rights) to these programmes to someone other than UTV Ireland. It is (mostly) these programmes that all the fuss is over.

so 20% or so of the programming could potentially end up on tv3?(midsummer murders etc not included as UTV Irl has deals with that producer)

Yup. More potentially when you consider that UTV Ireland cannot air ITV's sports or movies and has taken a voluntary decision not to air Good Morning Britain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

according to my sky epg ireland live isnt hd, not many shows are in hd, surprised me tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 902 ✭✭✭twinklerunner

according to my sky epg ireland live isnt hd, not many shows are in hd, surprised me tbh

UPC epg indicates all shows in HD

• Advertisement

I wouldn't take that as truth. For example some people think RTÉ show nothing in HD except for sport because it doesn't say HD on the Sky EPG but when looking at the programming with your eyes You can clearly see it is HD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Any reason why?
    It would seem quite contrary to the spirit of competition given that UTV Ireland is not part of ITV plc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭Infoanon

lertsnim wrote: »
    I wouldn't take that as truth. For example some people think RTÉ show nothing in HD except for sport because it doesn't say HD on the Sky EPG but when looking at the programming with your eyes You can clearly see it is HD.

The Sky EPG is correct for the vast majority of the RTE 2HD listings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Any reason why?
    It would seem quite contrary to the spirit of competition given that UTV Ireland is not part of ITV plc.

I think icdg means that the deal covers all ITV Studio programming and any that it distributes not that everything on itv must be sold to UTV

Any reason why?

UTV Ireland bought the rights to all ITV Studios programming in the spirit of competition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 873 ✭✭✭More Music

Have you considered that UTV Ireland were unable to bid for them? This "fallout" against UTV Ireland shows how clueless people are about all of this and why using the UTV brand was idiotic.

But what's the issue with the awards? UTVI didn't have it on their schedule so how was there any confusion.

How could anybody expect it to be on if UTVI didn't advertise it or have it on their schedule.

More Music wrote: »
    But what's the issue with the awards? UTVI didn't have it on their schedule so how was there any confusion.

How could anybody expect it to be on if UTVI didn't advertise it or have it on their schedule.

The confusion is too many people seem to think that UTV Ireland have access to the same programming as UTV in NI.

The confusion is too many people seem to think that UTV Ireland have access to the same programming as UTV in NI.

I'm beginning to wonder if the name hasn't turned out to be a massive double-edged sword for UTV, in relation to cable viewers in particular who have had UTV NI for 45 years only to wake up without it on 1st January without it. Those of us following the UTV Ireland story knew this would happen, but it was a surprise to the man on the street.

I should also add that the decision to show old episodes of certain ITV shows ahead of new ones is something I don't think anyone expected and a massive mistake on UTV's part, one that is entirely self inflicted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Souriau

I recalled TV3, did the same with showing old episodes of Emmerdales to play catch up. and few other programs that can't come to mind at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Souriau wrote: »
    I recalled TV3, did the same with showing old episodes of Emmerdales to play catch up. and few othwer programs that can't come to mind at the moment.

Don't think so, they went straight into the new episodes of Emmerdale, Coronation Street and Eastenders when they had the rights. The only time they showed old episodes were for special Coronation Street Christmas episodes.

For other shows like Cold Feet and Bad Girls, they would have had to do some sort of catchup before getting level with ITV's showings, but that was normal as it's a completely new channel, and wasn't replacing a channel that showed these before.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I recalled TV3, did the same with showing old episodes of Emmerdales to play catch up. and few othwer programs that can't come to mind at the moment.

Actually, RTE did this with Corrie. They started with the first episode and ran one a night till they caught up. In the beginning, there were just two episodes a week, so it did not take that long to catch up.

It gave viewers all the back stories, of which there were many. Corrie quite often left the odd ticking time bomb to be dealt with at a much later date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Souriau

iseegirls wrote: »
    Don't think so, they went straight into the new episodes of Emmerdale, Coronation Street and Eastenders when they had the rights. The only time they showed old episodes were for special Coronation Street Christmas episodes.

For other shows like Cold Feet and Bad Girls, they would have had to do some sort of catchup before getting level with ITV's showings, but that was normal as it's a completely new channel, and wasn't replacing a channel that showed these before.
    I am reasonably sure that Emmerdale was.
    I didn't know that Eastenders were on TV3

I am reasonably sure that Emmerdale was.
    I didn't know that Eastenders were on TV3

Yep TV3 had it from 1998-2001 and didn't renew the right because they had Emmerdale and Coronation Street at that stage.
    RTE1 did show older episodes of Emmerdale in the daytime, but they never catched up with ITV. It was sometimes a few months behind. This was when Emmerdale was only broadcast 2-3 times a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭radiowaves

UTV Ireland hasn't replaced any channel; it is a new channel.

UTV still exists.

Showing catch-up episodes would serve the exact same purpose as when TV3 did it...

radiowaves wrote: »
    UTV Ireland hasn't replaced any channel; it is a new channel.

UTV still exists.

Showing catch-up episodes would serve the exact same purpose as when TV3 did it...

It has replaced UTV on UPC. If UTV remained on the provider, then there is no problem. I, along with around 420,000 UPC customers, have to endure old repeats while instead we should have new episodes, films and sport that's provided by UTV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

Hardly anything is hd on rte
    Sky rpg is correct regarding all hd programmes
    There is the option to highlight hd programmes yellow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Hardly anything is hd on rte
    Sky rpg is correct regarding all hd programmes
    There is the option to highlight hd programmes yellow
    Far from it - it relies entirely on the broadcaster enabling the appropriate HD flag in their EPG feed to Sky.
    RTÉ for whatever reason rarely set that flag yet a good lot of their programming is HD - you need only look at the picture on a properly setup HDTV and you'll tell straightaway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭radiowaves

It has replaced UTV on UPC. If UTV remained on the provider, then there is no problem. I, along with around 420,000 UPC customers, have to endure old repeats while instead we should have new episodes, films and sport that's provided by UTV.

I've noticed a recurring theme here that UPC subscribers are extremely insular in their outlook and make statements as if they are factual rather than those statements being factual just for them.

UTV Ireland is a brand new channel that has replaced nothing. UPC and/or UTV have decided to swapout UTV Ireland in place of UTV on their platform. However, UTV still exists - it has not been replaced by anything.

Viewers on certain other platforms now have a new channel - UTV Ireland might feel they are worthy of consideration too?.

As I said the reality is that UTV Ireland doing catchup episodes (in effect) serves the exact same purpose as when TV3 did - or does - it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I used to have UPC (well its predecessor) but have had Freesat and Saorview for many years, and do not understand why everyone does not go this route. No bills and as many channels as I wish to watch (in fact many more than I wish to watch) and all for free.

Most of TV that people watch is available for free. (about 95%)

Advertisement