Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The ITV Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

TV3 never played catch up. RTÉ did show a few older episodes of Eastenders on RTÉ1 in the weeks running up to it starting on the channel. I think they may have had a retrospective on the show also. TV3 didn't drop EastEnders RTÉ had first refusal of BBC programmes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,799 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Hardly anything is hd on rte
    Sky rpg is correct regarding all hd programmes
    There is the option to highlight hd programmes yellow

Wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong

I don't know how many times I have to say wrong after reading that post.

The Sky EPG doesn't always tell you if a programme is HD or not. I am sure RTÉ are at fault for that but you should be able to see if a programme is HD or not using your eyes and believe me there has been plenty of things shown on RTÉ Two in HD even if the Sky EPG said otherwise.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

I used to have UPC (well its predecessor) but have had Freesat and Saorview for many years, and do not understand why everyone does not go this route. No bills and as many channels as I wish to watch (in fact many more than I wish to watch) and all for free.

Most of TV that people watch is available for free. (about 95%)

Because a lot of people watch Sky Sports. With the UK channels now being free to air, the massive decline of Sky One (although Sky Atlantic has taken it's place) and the rise of Netflix it is now the number one reason to keep pay TV. I'd go down the Saorview/Freesat route in a second if I thougt I could go without it.

Mind you there are some people who cannot put up a satellite dish (restrictive covenant or landlord won't let them) and, believe it or not, still some people who won't.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

radiowaves wrote: »
    I've noticed a recurring theme here that UPC subscribers are extremely insular in their outlook and make statements as if they are factual rather than those statements being factual just for them.

UTV Ireland is a brand new channel that has replaced nothing. UPC and/or UTV have decided to swapout UTV Ireland in place of UTV on their platform. However, UTV still exists - it has not been replaced by anything.
    That's all well and good to say, but you have to look upon 420,000 subscribers (over 1 million people, really) who went to bed on 31st December with UTV on 110 and woke up on 1st January with UTV Ireland in the same place. As far as they are concerned it's a replacement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭radiowaves

icdg wrote: »
    That's all well and good to say, but you have to look upon 420,000 subscribers (over 1 million people, really) who went to bed on 31st December with UTV on 110 and woke up on 1st January with UTV Ireland in the same place. As far as they are concerned it's a replacement.

As I said - insular.

The amount of people affected do not make something that's not a fact a fact :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

icdg wrote: »
    Because a lot of people watch Sky Sports. With the UK channels now being free to air, the massive decline of Sky One (although Sky Atlantic has taken it's place) and the rise of Netflix it is now the number one reason to keep pay TV. I'd go down the Saorview/Freesat route in a second if I thougt I could go without it.

Mind you there are some people who cannot put up a satellite dish (restrictive covenant or landlord won't let them) and, believe it or not, still some people who won't.

I totally agree

I have Freesat/saorview in 3 rooms for years but wanted a bit extra like sky atlantic

so sky is the main tv room but freesat/saorview in 2 other rooms

Sky Atlantic isn't on UPC. Most all of UPC's channels are FTA on Satellite. With a few excetions like their Sky Channels and UKTV Channels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭Joo0

Elmo wrote: »
    Sky Atlantic isn't on UPC. Most all of UPC's channels are FTA on Satellite. With a few excetions like their Sky Channels and UKTV Channels.
    Never understood my UPC dont have some channels that are FTA and also on Evision.

Joo0 wrote: »
    Never understood my UPC dont have some channels that are FTA and also on Evision.

No agreements in place. UPC have to pay for the channels to list them on the EPG. This is also why Sky customers have to go to "Other Channels"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

lertsnim wrote: »
    Wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong

I don't know how many times I have to say wrong after reading that post.

The Sky EPG doesn't always tell you if a programme is HD or not. I am sure RTÉ are at fault for that but you should be able to see if a programme is HD or not using your eyes and believe me there has been plenty of things shown on RTÉ Two in HD even if the Sky EPG said otherwise.
    say it as many times as you like, someone beat you too it
    only stuff i see in hd on rte 2 is crap, and its not as clear as bbc hd

i think it will take utv ireland a while to pick up, seems rushed at the moment
    the soaps were a good start

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 davesaunders

I'm disappointed that they don't have their Player up and running yet...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 17 Jack Nana

I'm disappointed. FULL STOP !

seems alright to me

http://player.utv.ie/

say it as many times as you like, someone beat you too it
    only stuff i see in hd on rte 2 is crap, and its not as clear as bbc hd

Try watching some HD programming on RTÉ Two. At Christmas someone else was saying the same as you even though there was examples posted.

But this isn't the thread for this.

lertsnim wrote: »
    Try watching some HD programming on RTÉ Two. At Christmas someone else was saying the same as you even though there was examples posted.

But this isn't the thread for this.

this was my original comment, and it somehow got got side tracked to rte 2

according to my sky epg ireland live isnt hd, not many shows are in hd, surprised me tbh

i was then informed that all utv ireland programs are listed as hd on upc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,517 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

The NTA's looked fantastic in HD on ITV/UTV HD on Wednesday night.

Although I would be aware that the rights agreement over the awards with TV3 is a long term deal.

It is a pity that UPC viewers couldn't watch the awards even on UTV NI on the night as they have to contend with having to watch it on Saturday and completely in Standard definition on TV3. A well worked solution is to get a Saorview/Freesat or Saorview/FTA Satellite option which can overtime allieviate all of that negative ****e with your T.V. viewing forever.

And the best thing is that you get UTV from Belfast in HD and free for the rest of your lives. It would simply be blissful to have that in your home.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Has ITV news been broadcast over the last few weekends on UTVI? .. First time I have noticed it scheduled for this evening.

irishfeen wrote: »
    Has ITV news been broadcast over the last few weekends on UTVI? .. First time I have noticed it scheduled for this evening.

When? I don't see it on the Saorview EPG.

EDIT: I see it now. It is an odd inclusion on the EPG as it doesn't appear any other time for the whole week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

Strange as it's only 5 mins long at 10.20pm, but on ITV (England regions) it's 10 mins long at 10.20pm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

Although according to http://utv.ie/tvguide/ the film Once is on at 10.20 and 10.25pm

• Advertisement

They should run ITN News @10 each night and at weekends like UTVNI with UTV live at 10:30-11:30.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭irishmusicfeed

No UTV Ireland shouldnt show ITV News culturally it's irrelevant and has no public service remit.... There's a massive difference between needs and wants... People may want ITV News but it's unneccsary on an Irish channel...plus that's why 24 hour News channels and free internet news was invented plus ITN news coverage can be seen on Channel 4... Irish TV should be prohibited from broadcasting UK TV shows as these are widley available on BBC, ITV, Channel 4 and Sky... It's a waste of tax payers money in relation to RTÉ and a waste of creative development for other 'Irish' broadcasters...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,217 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

No UTV Ireland shouldnt show ITV News culturally it's irrelevant and has no public service remit.... There's a massive difference between needs and wants... People may want ITV News but it's unneccsary on an Irish channel...plus that's why 24 hour News channels and free internet news was invented plus ITN news coverage can be seen on Channel 4... Irish TV should be prohibited from broadcasting UK TV shows as these are widley available on BBC, ITV, Channel 4 and Sky... It's a waste of tax payers money in relation to RTÉ and a waste of creative development for other 'Irish' broadcasters...

Rte's 24 hour news channel is just a shambles. Most of it is repeats of a news program, the week in politics and after 1am its Euronews, which can often be in French. How about that for irrelevance?

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Rte's 24 hour news channel is just a shambles. Most of it is repeats of a news program, the week in politics and after 1am its Euronews, which can often be in French. How about that for irrelevance?

I never suggested 24 RTÉ news there's CNN, BBC News, Euronews in English - which is never in French ;) Aljazerra etc etc plenty of other options stop being so insular there's more to the island of the UK In fact there's a whole world out there...

.. Everything you say here I disagree with :)

Because of the link to ITV, and there is,with the ITV soaps and dramas, I am not surprised or bothered that they are showing the ITV news. I'd say it's experimental, to gauge viewers reactions. The posts on their social media sites are clamouring for the ITV/UTV content to be shown particularly Good Morning Britain.

irishfeen wrote: »
    .. Everything you say here I disagree with :)

Of course you would... I wouldn't expect anything less ;)

IMO RTÉ News Now should provide BBC NI Newsline at 7pm, followed by Reports from ITN News at 7:30. They should take reports from other EBU channels as translated by EuroNews at 8pm.

RTÉ News Now won't every be able to have a 24 hour service even with advertising. And they shouldn't try. THey should just give the impression something they don't acheive. It's no more than a test channel.

Back to UTV Ireland, I would rather they repeat ITN News late nights than put on Teleshopping and This Is UTV Ireland.

IMO RTÉ News Now should provide BBC NI Newsline at 7pm, followed by Reports from ITN News at 7:30. They should take reports from other EBU channels as translated by EuroNews at 8pm.

RTÉ News Now won't every be able to have a 24 hour service even with advertising. And they shouldn't try. THey should just give the impression something they don't acheive. It's no more than a test channel.

Back to UTV Ireland, I would rather they repeat ITN News late nights than put on Teleshopping and This Is UTV Ireland.

Why oh why should BBC news line be shown on RTÉ News Now when it's the tax payer in the REPUBLIC of Ireland paying for RTÉ... What next RTÉ News on BBC World News?

• Advertisement

I wouldn't agree with BBC Newsline but I would be in favour of a rebroadcast of a BBC World News bulletin on RTÉ News Now.

Advertisement