Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The ITV Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

icdg wrote: »
    It's the only big sports rights available to them at the moment, GAA has been talked about but is tied up until 2017.
    Exactly and it would make a statement. From what I can make out Setanta are held back in picking games because of their partnership with BT... you could have a situation where UTVI could have at least 1 top team live almost every week... that would be a massive coup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭iseegirls

lertsnim wrote: »
    Give UTVI time. As rights become available I have no doubt they will get some of them.

They announced that they secured Corrie and Emmerdale and all ITV Studios shows back in November 2013. So that gave them 14-15 months to get rights to other programmes and films. It just seemed like they did nothing. They seemed content just to live off those shows, and not bother going for films or sport.

iseegirls wrote: »
    They announced that they secured Corrie and Emmerdale and all ITV Studios shows back in November 2013. So that gave them 14-15 months to get rights to other programmes and films. It just seemed like they did nothing. They seemed content just to live off those shows, and not bother going for films or sport.
    To be fair they had to build new television studios from scratch but your right they seem to have been very naive thinking all they had to do is show up down south and become No.2 straight away. They need rights badly over the next 18 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Charles Slane

icdg wrote: »
    On UPC's EPG now too (go to Sunday next and manually scroll forward). I think we can take that as more or less confirmed so.

Given that the ITN News was on the EPG for 22.20 last night and failed to appear, I wouldn't put too much faith in UTV Ireland's EPG listings for the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,799 ✭✭✭lertsnim

irishfeen wrote: »
    C5 is fairly crap for the most part though..

But importantly it is still running.

• Advertisement

lertsnim wrote: »
    But importantly it is still running.
    Aye I suppose you are right but if UTV want to become the countries second channel then they have to get the big TV/Sport rights and invest in homegrown content.

UTV on future Sports rights -

@irishfeen @MW_UTV We cover all sports on Ireland Live News for now and will be looking at rights packages as they become available

On ITV being listed yesterday -

@irishfeen @MW_UTV Hi this was an error in listings apologies for any inconvenience caused and thanks for flagging this with us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

To be fair they had to build new television studios from scratch but your right they seem to have been very naive thinking all they had to do is show up down south and become No.2 straight away. They need rights badly over the next 18 months.

To be fair in 1996 TG4 and in 1998 TV3 had the same task and both had bought some amount of imported programming, Though TV3 did have the backing of a major US distributor CanWest (owners of Fireworks).

UTV didn't need to splurg on decorating their new offices, yes the set is important, but that is the cost of a News Programme. I am sure that they could have got broadcasting equipment from Havelock House.

It's not hard to get film rights TG4 spend €3million on rights each year. That's about 1500hours of TV across Children, Film and Adult programming from the states. 4 hours a day (Largely Children's). TG4 also spend about the same on Sport.

Elmo wrote: »
    To be fair in 1996 TG4 and in 1998 TV3 had the same task and both had bought some amount of imported programming, Though TV3 did have the backing of a major US distributor CanWest (owners of Fireworks).

UTV didn't need to splurg on decorating their new offices, yes the set is important, but that is the cost of a News Programme. I am sure that they could have got broadcasting equipment from Havelock House.

It's not hard to get film rights TG4 spend €3million on rights each year. That's about 1500hours of TV across Children, Film and Adult programming from the states. 4 hours a day (Largely Children's). TG4 also spend about the same on Sport.
    All film rights are with RTÉ, TV3 and TG4 - most of them with long term agreements although TV3 did obtain more rights in and around the day UTVI was announced .. No doubt UTV will take film and sports rights from the rest but the thing is the vast majority are locked up in contracts at the minute.. PL rights are the next major sports rights up for auction... They should go all out for the 30 3pm games, it would be massive for them.

All film rights are with RTÉ, TV3 and TG4 - most of them with long term agreements although TV3 did obtain more rights in and around the day UTVI was announced .. No doubt UTV will take film and sports rights from the rest but the thing is the vast majority are locked up in contracts at the minute.. PL rights are the next major sports rights up for auction... They should go all out for the 30 3pm games, it would be massive for them.

This isn't true. While RTÉ, TV3 and TG4 (mainly RTÉ) do have the vast majority of those rights there are other programming rights available from the US and other countries that UTV could buy, remember UTV had a year to get those rights, AFAIK MipCom happens every year and each year in LasVegas RTÉ, TV3 and TG4 attend a market. That's not to mention RTÉ and BBC renewal of their agreement for programming which happened after UTV's announcement, and the fact that any channel could take some of those programmes should RTÉ not want them. For example a few years ago TV3 broadcast Doctor Who and Strictly and some music show looking for Dorothy. Not sure how TG4 have Jools Holland.

The only real competition to US programming that RTÉ have is Netflix and Sky at the moment.

• Advertisement

This isn't true. While RTÉ, TV3 and TG4 (mainly RTÉ) do have the vast majority of those rights there are other programming rights available from the US and other countries that UTV could have bid for, remember UTV had a year to get those rights, AFAIK MipCom happens every year and each year in LasVegas RTÉ, TV3 and TG4 attend a market. That's not to mention RTÉ and BBC renewal of their agreement for programming which happened after UTV's announcement, and the fact that any channel could take some of those programmes should RTÉ not want them. For example a few years ago TV3 broadcast Doctor Who.

The only real competition to US programming that RTÉ have is Netflix and Sky at the moment.
    BBC and RTÉ were always going to stick together - stuff like Mrs Browns Boys, The Fall etc are working very well for them together.

I am surprised that UTV aren't using more stuff from the ITV Studio catalogue - some very decent shows from the states in there. Sky seem to have almost all the good stuff from the states wrapped up - HBO is massive for them.

Is there much else from the states worth watching? There is some truly dreadful stuff over there. I don't know who will take AMC's new breaking bad spinoff (possibly TG4?) maybe that's something for UTV to go after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,217 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

UTV on future Sports rights -

@irishfeen @MW_UTV We cover all sports on Ireland Live News for now and will be looking at rights packages as they become available

On ITV being listed yesterday -

@irishfeen @MW_UTV Hi this was an error in listings apologies for any inconvenience caused and thanks for flagging this with us.

I bet they loved your name!

Carnacalla wrote: »
    I bet they loved your name!
    Ha what's wrong with my name? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,217 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Ha what's wrong with my name? :)

Is feen not meant to imply anything?

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Is feen not meant to imply anything?
    feen = lad = me .. That's about it :)

Is there much else from the states worth watching? There is some truly dreadful stuff over there. I don't know who will take AMC's new breaking bad spinoff (possibly TG4?) maybe that's something for UTV to go after.

I'd say if TG4 have Better Call Saul they have already got the rights, possibly for broadcast after Netflixs.

We don't really know what RTÉ have in terms of Rights, They could have SyFy's 12 Monkeys for all we know. But their are films and programming rights that UTV could get their hands on.

RTÉ have first refusial on programmes as I said RTÉ could buy Doctor Who from BBC but choose not to, meaning UTV Ireland like TV3 did in the past could take on that show.

I'd say if TG4 have Better Call Saul they have already got the rights, possibly for broadcast after Netflixs.

We don't really know what RTÉ have in terms of Rights, They could have SyFy's 12 Monkeys for all we know. But their are films and programming rights that UTV could get their hands on.

RTÉ have first refusial on programmes as I said RTÉ could buy Doctor Who from BBC but choose not to, meaning UTV Ireland like TV3 did in the past could take on that show.
    Your probably right that there is stuff available but it must not be very easy as there is rights agreements everywhere.

One thing for certain, UTVI will need to get rights sooner rather then later to survive long term .. Their current schedule is very weak, I wonder is their any breakdown of what Irish channels have the film studio rights and when they are up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

C5 is fairly crap for the most part though..

Its effective the Daily Express on your TV everyday. Benefits scroungers this or immigrants that on every night.

kn wrote: »
    Its effective the Daily Express on your TV everyday. Benefits scroungers this or immigrants that on every night.

I'd say that will change with the new owners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,565 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

The people who are talking about UTV Ireland's demise must not watch the soaps.

Corrie and Emmerdale are still quite popular in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭formerly scottish paddy

eh......studio (singular) I believe.

The people who are talking about UTV Ireland's demise must not watch the soaps.

Corrie and Emmerdale are still quite popular in Ireland.

It's the shows around them which is more worrying. Mr Selfridge posted their worst overnights rating last night on ITV - 3.4million, meanwhile Get Your Act Together was 2.5m. Stars In Their Eyes got around the same 2.5m on Saturday. Truly awful ratings - and these are the programmes that UTV Ireland are relying on to boost their weekends, along with years old repeats of Outnumbered and 101 Ways To leave A Gameshow.

It's the shows around them which is more worrying. Mr Selfridge posted their worst overnights rating last night on ITV - 3.4million, meanwhile Get Your Act Together was 2.5m. Stars In Their Eyes got around the same 2.5m on Saturday. Truly awful ratings - and these are the programmes that UTV Ireland are relying on to boost their weekends, along with years old repeats of Outnumbered and 101 Ways To leave A Gameshow.

The only ITV weekend show to ever bring in an audience for TV3 has been The X Factor.

UTV are just going to have to wait for BGT and IACGMOH

Dancing On Ice used to bring in an ok audience on a Sunday. Was always tough going up against The Voice/You're A Star on RTE though.

TV3 have the rights to BGT - which doesn't help UTVi either for their weekends.

O/T - I think ITV should be looking at putting the soaps back on Sunday between 7-8, and drop the extra Thursday Emmerdale and Friday Corrie. Only then could they hope of audiences staying on the channel on a Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Dancing On Ice used to bring in an ok audience on a Sunday. Was always tough going up against The Voice/You're A Star on RTE though.

TV3 have the rights to BGT - which doesn't help UTVi either for their weekends.

O/T - I think ITV should be looking at putting the soaps back on Sunday between 7-8, and drop the extra Thursday Emmerdale and Friday Corrie. Only then could they hope of audiences staying on the channel on a Sunday.

Now that would definitely upset viewers !

Its very early days and be in now doubt UTV will learn and adapt quickly eg GMB being re instated.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

We might leave the fantasy schedules for elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭irishmusicfeed

Infoanon wrote: »
    Now that would definitely upset viewers !

Its very early days and be in now doubt UTV will learn and adapt quickly eg GMB being re instated.

You can't reinstate something that was never on the channel i.e. GMB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,565 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Futurama and all the adult cartoons are a non-runner for the audience that UTV Ireland is aiming for.

Futurama and all the adult cartoons are a non-runner for the audience that UTV Ireland is aiming for.

Funny how they broadcast Plebs!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭Infoanon

You can't reinstate something that was never on the channel i.e. GMB

Thats how it will be viewed by UPC customers.

Advertisement