Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The ITV Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,217 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Very sneaky advertising by UTV. I typed tv3 player into google and the ad that came up the top was "did you mean UTV?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 902 ✭✭✭twinklerunner

The people who are talking about UTV Ireland's demise must not watch the soaps.

Corrie and Emmerdale are still quite popular in Ireland.

I think that they will need to consider moving Ireland Live from its 6.30 slot. It's not going to succeed against RTE's Six One. Possibly a 5pm or 8pm slot might be more suitable?
    I also think that the 10pm Ireland Live programme is too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Woodie40

iseegirls wrote: »
    On Digiguide - Good Morning Britain is now on from 2nd February.

Why is an Irish channel showing GMB? (funded by the BAI and saying Good Morning Britain to The Republic of Ireland):confused: And people actually want this.? And we complain when the UK media forget our nationality:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Woodie40 wrote: »
    Why is an Irish channel showing GMB? (funded by the BAI):confused: And people actually want this.? And we complain when the UK media forget our nationality:confused:

I'll see your GMB and raise you Old "Mock the week" repeats on RTE 2.
    Full of British politics and stale at this stage.
    Licence fee funded to the hilt.

Jokeshop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭radiowaves

Infoanon wrote: »
    Thats how it will be viewed by UPC customers.

UPC customers (or at least the ones that frequent this board anyway) don't appear to have a rational grip on actual facts and think that what happens in their little subscription TV universe applies to everybody on the island.

As UTV Ireland is a brand new channel GMB will, indeed, be running on it for the first time. Any claim that suggests otherwise is just crazy talk :D
    Why is an Irish channel showing GMB?:confused: And people actually want this.? And we complain when the UK media forget our nationality:confused:

The Irish channel UTV has been showing it since its launch even though Northern Ireland is not part of Britain; I don't recall any big deal made about the name (assuming that is your main, if not only, objection I]EDIT - I see by your edit that it is - how sad[/I) up there.

UTV Ireland are showing it because, I guess, they know there is also an appetite in this part of the island for media from our closest neighbours and friends. Or maybe I imagined the popularity of all forms of British media here?

Besides, is it not the case that Teleshopping is running in that slot right now? So that's preferable then?

Looking from the outside it would appear UTV Ireland cannot win. On the one hand there's whinging when they cannot mirror UTV's schedule. But on the other hand there's whinging when they do :D

Next up. Complaints that any Irish channel would consider showing America's Got Talent or is it just Britain we have a chip on the shoulder about?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Irish channels have shown UK programmes since the dawn of (television) time. Are you suggesting they be limited to showing programmes made in Ireland only? I think you would find that the Irish television landscape would be reduced to RTE1 and TG4 rather quickly and that they would be both limited to a few hours a day.

Of course, this isn't really the case, because most people's who are objecting to GMB are doing so based solely on its name. If it were still called GMTV or Daybreak with exactly the same content theyd have no issue.

icdg wrote: »
    Irish channels have shown UK programmes since the dawn of (television) time. Are you suggesting they be limited to showing programmes made in Ireland only? I think you would find that the Irish television landscape would be reduced to RTE1 and TG4 rather quickly and that they would be both limited to a few hours a day.

Of course, this isn't really the case, because most people's who are objecting to GMB are doing so based solely on its name. If it were still called GMTV or Daybreak with exactly the same content theyd have no issue.

Of course we watch lots of UK TV and American TV. So maybe we should have Good Morning America on every other week.

NBC's Today, which airs opposite Good Morning America, was screened here for many years, first on Sky News (and believe it or not, RTE for a while!) and later on Super Channel. I didn't see massive protests when that happened.

mikom wrote: »
    I'll see your GMB and raise you Old "Mock the week" repeats on RTE 2.
    Full of British politics and stale at this stage.
    Licence fee funded to the hilt.

Jokeshop.

Whilst I agree that the old episodes can be a little stale, even when viewed for the first time, the programme is still full of brilliant observational humour about that week's news stories which can be about a lot more than just politics.

In addition, around half the running time (at a guess) is straight stand-up with no political reference.

I'm sensing chip on the shoulder reactionary attitudes influencing this post too.

Anyway, the ludicrous suggestion that a programme is not of interest here because it contains observations about British politics is not borne out by the popularity of that type of programme.

It also features Irish talent.

Of course we watch lots of UK TV and American TV. So maybe we should have Good Morning America on every other week.

As I said, America's Got Talent runs on Irish TV - where are your protestations?

Maybe somebody should run GMA. Indeed, why not. The Irish do tend to have an outwardly view of the world and have massive appetites for news and entertainment from other cultures.

It is only when Britain enters the equation that some locals lose all rationale.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

radiowaves wrote: »
    Whilst I agree that the old episodes can be a little stale, even when viewed for the first time, the programme is still full of brilliant observational humour about that week's news stories which can be about a lot more than just politics.

In addition, around half the running time (at a guess) is straight stand-up with no political reference.

I'm sensing chip on the shoulder reactionary attitudes influencing this post too.

Anyway, the ludicrous suggestion that a programme is not of interest here because it contains observations about British politics is not borne out by the popularity of that type of programme.

It also features Irish talent.

Yep, and it was great the first time around on a channel that I watch a lot, a channel that is available to all of the Irish population for a once off fee.......... that and a whole lot more quality.
    Yet RTE go and piss away the licence fee by showing it on their "revamped" yoof channel, bookended by "Meet the McDonaghs" and Norah's traveller academy".

As I said, America's Got Talent runs on Irish TV - where are your protestations?

Maybe somebody should run GMA. Indeed, why not. The Irish do tend to have an outwardly view of the world and have massive appetites for news and entertainment from other cultures.

It is only when Britain enters the equation that some locals lose all rationale.

As stated, I have no issues with Americas Got Talent etc, but I do, with being wished Good Morning Britain on an Irish channel........just my opinion.

As stated, I have no issues with Americas Got Talent etc, but I do, with being wished Good Morning Britain on an Irish channel........just my opinion.

Are you one of those people that think the people on the TV are talking to them exclusively?

Is your receiver stuck on one channel exclusively or you don't realise there are other channels you can personally tune to if you don't like what's on?

Are you one of those people who wants TV schedules to exclusively reflect your tastes and attitudes?

This is so obvious but, anyway, they're wishing British people good morning - which, as I said, excludes people up North. No wailing up there AFAIA.

We - those who wish to watch - are interested lookers-on. Those who don't wish to watch, or have such delicate sensitivity, have other options. It's not as if you're being denied anything - as I said maybe you feel Teleshopping is a preferable option :rolleyes:

Are you one of those people that think the people on the TV are talking to them exclusively?

Is your receiver stuck on one channel exclusively or you don't realise there are other channels you can personally tune to if you don't like what's on?

Are you one of those people who wants TV schedules to exclusively reflect your tastes and attitudes?

This is so obvious but, anyway, they're wishing British people good morning - which, as I said, excludes people up North. No wailing up there AFAIA.

We - those who wish to watch - are interested lookers-on. Those who don't wish to watch, or have such delicate sensitivity, have other options. It's not as if you're being denied anything - as I said maybe you feel Teleshopping is a preferable option :rolleyes:

As stated just my opinion

As stated just my opinion

Well your first post on the subject asked a question which was very loaded.

Having an opinion is one thing. Expecting a channel not to show something which many of its viewers are very interested in just because it offends your sensitivities is another thing altogether.

Why is an Irish channel showing GMB? (funded by the BAI and saying Good Morning Britain to The Republic of Ireland):confused: And people actually want this.? And we complain when the UK media forget our nationality:confused:

There was a demand for it on their social media sites so there is obviously an interest in GMB from Irish viewers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Haven't watched Good Morning Britain before, so I can't tell what the format of the show is, but wiki has the following:
    Good Morning Britain is largely news driven, with news bulletins at 6am and 7am and news round-ups at 6.30am, 7.30am and 8am plus, regular headline updates at 6.15am, 6.45am, 7.15am, 7.45am and 8.15am. ..... Local News bulletins are also broadcast at 6:10am, 7:10am and 8:05am and typically last around 3 minutes. The local news updates contain news, travel and weather.

A lot of news round ups there. I assume that UTVi will replace the local bulletins with trailers or a recap of a story used from the previous nights Ireland Live At 10.

Well your first post on the subject asked a question which was very loaded.

Having an opinion is one thing. Expecting a channel not to show something which many of its viewers are very interested in just because it offends your sensitivities is another thing altogether.

I asked a question based on my opinion, which I am entitled to as are you.

I asked a question based on my opinion, which I am entitled to as are you.

That's a little more than a question?

I'll be honest, I have no real opinion on the matter and couldn't care less if they continue to run Teleshopping ads in the slot or show Good Morning Venezuela - I was answering your question (or opinion as you put it) ;)

You still haven't said why teleshopping is the better option mind :p

Calm down please, play the ball not the person

• Advertisement

icdg wrote: »
    Calm down please, play the ball not the person

I hope that's not directed at me :confused:

Number 1 I'm extremely calm.

Number 2 what does "play the ball" even mean?

Assuming it's an accusation that it was a personal attack I'd love to be directed to it.

Finally, it would be helpful if you were more specific.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

ITV have reportedly agreed to televise Carl Froch and also highlights of the Cricket World Cup with England matches on the main channel. Should be an interesting one whether UTVIRL will show either. The Cricket is only being shown in the UK because its a listed event. No such problem for Sky here so I doubt they will allow it to be sub-licenced to UTVIRL even if its only England matches.

Moderation is not generally up for on thread disucssion but by way of clarification only, it was directed at a number of posters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

ITV have reportedly agreed to televise Carl Froch and also highlights of the Cricket World Cup with England matches on the main channel. Should be an interesting one whether UTVIRL will show either. The Cricket is only being shown in the UK because its a listed event. No such problem for Sky here so I doubt they will allow it to be sub-licenced to UTVIRL even if its only England matches.

Is Scotland and Wales part of those listed events?

Most likely GMB will be rebranded in a year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭A Disgrace

I too would have an issue with GMB being broadcast on an ‘Irish’ channel – whatever about the facts, a lot of people think of NI being ‘British’ so it’s not that surprising that it’s aired on UTV without much fuss – remember, this is the same UTV that refers to the ITN news as ‘National’ and shows England soccer internationals are if they were the local team – Sure, everyone has a choice and can view whatever they like, but I’d still rather not see a GMB jubilee special or Queens Birthday on a supposed Irish channel

TBH, my main issue with the whole thing is the lack of respect that UTVI have shown their new market – they’ve essentially bought the rights to the two Soaps, and padded the rest of the schedule out with rubbish. I used to flick through the EPG to see what was on across the board, but now I don’t even stop at UTVI

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭A Disgrace

A Disgrace wrote: »
    I too would have an issue with GMB being broadcast on an ‘Irish’ channel – whatever about the facts, a lot of people think of NI being ‘British’ so it’s not that surprising that it’s aired on UTV without much fuss – remember, this is the same UTV that refers to the ITN news as ‘National’ and shows England soccer internationals are if they were the local team – Sure, everyone has a choice and can view whatever they like, but I’d still rather not see a GMB jubilee special or Queens Birthday on a supposed Irish channel

TBH, my main issue with the whole thing is the lack of respect that UTVI have shown their new market – they’ve essentially bought the rights to the two Soaps, and padded the rest of the schedule out with rubbish. I used to flick through the EPG to see what was on across the board, but now I don’t even stop at UTVI

In addition to the above, the Scottish variant of ITV, STV, doesn't show it either..

Only on a purely technical level is the above true. UTV NI and STV do not broadcast between 6:00-9:25am. ITV Breakfast broadcasts Good Morning Britain and Lorraine to Northern Ireland and Scotland on the same EPG slots at the above times.

UTV (NI) shows England soccer internationals because they have the rights to them, they get them for free, they bring in advertising, and if they didn't show them they'd have a gaping three hour hole in their schedule whixh they'd have to show something else in. They don't have the rights to NI internationals, Sky does. STV used not to show ITV's England coverage but I dunno if that's still the case since they buried the hatchet with ITV.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

Elmo wrote: »
    Is Scotland and Wales part of those listed events?

Most likely GMB will be rebranded in a year.

for the cricket world cup semi finals and finals along with home nations matches are B listed events where highlights must be shown. The link here does say Scotland matches will be on ITV4 and not ITV. Maybe STV will show them.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057324314&page=98

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭Infoanon

BBC NI had the rights to the highlights for Irish games last time around - Ireland will hopefully make it beyond the group stages.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

its carl frampton

UTVIr won't show these sport events until they merge or maybe buy TV3 in the future

Advertisement