Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The ITV Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

ftakeith wrote: »
    its carl frampton

UTVIr won't show these sport events until they merge or maybe buy TV3 in the future

I imagine they'll show Irish Criket games yeah! :rolleyes:

1 Coronation Street 400
    2 Coronation Street 383
    3 Coronation Street 320
    4 Coronation Street 318
    5 Coronation Street 313
    6 Emmerdale 295
    7 Emmerdale 286
    8 Emmerdale 276
    9 Emmerdale 267
    10 Emmerdale 220
    11 Rare Breed: A Farming Year 138
    12 James Nesbitt's Ireland 133
    13 Doc Martin 102
    14 Off The Beaten Track 96
    15 Midsomer Murders 89
    16 Cilla 63
    17 The Kyle Files 61
    18 Ireland Live At 10 58
    19 Birds Of A Feather 52
    20 Outnumbered 49

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Souriau

What are the rating for others on Saorview compare to UTV Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Elmo wrote: »
    1 Coronation Street 400
    2 Coronation Street 383
    3 Coronation Street 320
    4 Coronation Street 318
    5 Coronation Street 313
    6 Emmerdale 295
    7 Emmerdale 286
    8 Emmerdale 276
    9 Emmerdale 267
    10 Emmerdale 220
    11 Rare Breed: A Farming Year 138
    12 James Nesbitt's Ireland 133
    13 Doc Martin 102
    14 Off The Beaten Track 96
    15 Midsomer Murders 89
    16 Cilla 63
    17 The Kyle Files 61
    18 Ireland Live At 10 58
    19 Birds Of A Feather 52
    20 Outnumbered 49
    UTV will be happy with those numbers IMO - 138k for Rare Breed is very decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭irishmusicfeed

Just lodged a formal complaint with UTV Ireland and the BAI about them broadcasting GMB... this is outrageous!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Just lodged a formal complaint with UTV Ireland and the BAI about them broadcasting GMB... this is outrageous!

:) on what grounds???

irishfeen wrote: »
    :) on what grounds???

many grounds not going to get involved in a debate... but the BAI seriously need to address UTV's sole purpose because it has no ambitions to promote Irish content in any way.

many grounds not going to get involved in a debate... but the BAI seriously need to address UTV's sole purpose because it has no ambitions to promote Irish content in any way.
    They are offering a better news service then TV3 ever did, they have the farming show and Pat Kenny will have a chat show soon ... You have absolutely no grounds whatsoever - they have been on air for less then a month... Give them a chance!

IMO you need to complain to the Minister who gave UTV PSB status. UTV is a General Entertainment channel like More4, such channels rarely show the culture of the country they broadcast in except perhaps through repeats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭greenman09

Some people have too much time on their hands

IMO you need to complain to the Minister who gave UTV PSB status. UTV is a General Entertainment channel like More4, such channels rarely show the culture of the country they broadcast in except perhaps through repeats.

More 4 is not a general entertainment channel based in the Republic Ireland.... nor does it receive taxes from the Irish public through the Sound & Vision scheme. UTV Ireland has been given a licence in the REPUBLIC to ensure it holds some form of public service remit providing 1 hour and 30 minutes of news each day is no way sufficient enough... I have no problem with UTV Northern Ireland being made available on Saorview etc if needs be. But UTV Media plc are trying to offer a 'different' channel to the Republic of but have the cheek to offer the crap they've been providing on UTV Northern Ireland for years.

The difference with television channels licenced by a regular in the Republic is based on the understanding it would heighten its public service remit overtime - GMB and the other ITV crap has a purpose on UTV Northern Ireland as it is in the UK but having it shown in the Republic seriously?! This is why many European broadcasters receive a licence from the UK's Ofcom so they can re-transmit US & UK crap on Swedish, Danish, Norwegian channels etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 902 ✭✭✭twinklerunner

It's not compulsory to watch it you know .. there are other channels.

It's not compulsory to watch it you know .. there are other channels.

I don't watch UTV never have and never will but - the fact GMB will be shown is ridiculous... no wonder people get confused between Ireland and the UK or did we all become British again I must have missed that memo.

More 4 is not a general entertainment channel based in the Republic Ireland.... nor does it receive taxes from the Irish public through the Sound & Vision scheme. UTV Ireland has been given a licence in the REPUBLIC to ensure it holds some form of public service remit providing 1 hour and 30 minutes of news each day is no way sufficient enough... I have no problem with UTV Northern Ireland being made available on Saorview etc if needs be. But UTV Media plc are trying to offer a 'different' channel to the Republic of but have the cheek to offer the crap they've been providing on UTV Northern Ireland for years.

Actually if More4 want it could apply for Funding Film4 have in the past.

I think there is so little on Saorview that there is little point complaining.

Actually if More4 want it could apply for Funding Film4 have in the past.

I think there is so little on Saorview that there is little point complaining.

Ok Elmo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,217 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Personally UTV has lost whatever credibility it once had with me. Seriously, playing GMB in Ireland is just wrong. Among that they have terrible programming and one of the few Irish shows they did make,"Rare Breed" has been well covered by RTE and TV3 over the past while. So basically what I'm saying is I agree with you in that GMB is outrageous. It may not be worth launching a complaint about, but I think UTV will pay their own price for this exucse of a timetable.

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Irishmusicfeed, may I ask what having over 1000 posts has to do with anything.

My advice: Keep the petty insults for the School Yard.

Personally UTV has lost whatever credibility it once had with me. Seriously, playing GMB in Ireland is just wrong. Among that they have terrible programming and one of the few Irish shows they did make,"Rare Breed" has been well covered by RTE and TV3 over the past while. So basically what I'm saying is I agree with you in that GMB is outrageous. It may not be worth launching a complaint about, but I think UTV will pay their own price for this exucse of a timetable.

Apologies I did delete previous post :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I don't watch UTV never have and never will but - the fact GMB will be shown is ridiculous... no wonder people get confused between Ireland and the UK or did we all become British again I must have missed that memo.

Do you approve of Dr Phil or the Kyle show being shown on Irish TV?

Ok Elmo

All I am saying is that UTV Ireland are a General Entertainment channel they have no real need to be desiganted as a PSB, look at 3e or even RTÉ2 where is their Irishness.

British FTA broadcasters have in the past gone for Sound and Vision Funding. Not only that but so has PayTV broadcaster has got funding Setanta.

• Advertisement

Is that a joke?

All the Irish channels have a lot of UK, American, Australian and European content, there is sod all home produced programmes in comparison. Without that content irish telly would be unwatchable. I repeat, there was a clamour for GMB on UTV Ireland's social media sites from Irish viewers, they don't care about the word 'Britain' being in the title of a programme. Corrie and emmerdale have been watched and enjoyed here for years, UK programmes, the majority of Irish viewers want them!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

As I said earlier, the follow through of objecting to GMB on the sole basis that it is made in the UK is that Irish channels should only show Irish programmes. Yes? No? Maybe?

Congratulations. Based on tonight's peak-time schedules, you've just reduced TV3 to Vincent Browne, UTV Ireland down to Ireland Live at Ten, and closed down RTÉ2, 3e, and Setanta Ireland. Only TG4 would survive unscathed, as RTÉ One would lose The Mentalist.

Of course, the UK broadcasters selling advertising here would love you, since they would have the monopoly of broadcasting UK/US/Canadian/Australian/New Zealand programming into the country.

irishmusicfeed, you also have to remember UTV have directly employed about 100 people on a permanent basis and that's not even including those contractors building the broadcasting suites and studio in Dublin .. As I said give them a chance - as time passes the channel will improve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭galtee boy

There is no pleasing some people, since UTVI started, all people have been complaining about, is that UTVI was not a direct simulcast of UTV NI. Bit by bit, they are and will continue to bring the two schedules closer and still people complain. If you don't want to watch GMB, change channels for God's sake.

galtee boy wrote: »
    If you don't want to watch GMB, change channels for God's sake.

Which is what people will do, and they wont switch back.
    I think tv channels are perfectly entitled to show what they want. But, similar to the freedom of speech, you can really only show things that wont make people dislike the channel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭galtee boy

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Which is what people will do, and they wont switch back.
    I think tv channels are perfectly entitled to show what they want. But, similar to the freedom of speech, you can really only show things that wont make people dislike the channel.

GMB is British, so is Coronation St, Emerdale, etc etc, so what ? Irish people in general like British Tv programmes, GMB is a magazine type breakfast programme, showing news, sport, celeb gossip, fashion etc. Whats the big deal ? Why not complain to the BAI about the showing the British soaps as well ? If they ever decide to show the Queens speech on Christmas Day, it will be interesting !

galtee boy wrote: »
    GMB is British, so is Coronation St, Emerdale, etc etc, so what ? Irish people in general like British Tv programmes, GMB is a magazine type breakfast programme, showing news, sport, celeb gossip, fashion etc. Whats the big deal ? Why not complain to the BAI about the showing the British soaps as well ? If they ever decide to show the Queens speech on Christmas Day, it will be interesting !

In fairness, if you showed "Love Hate" on BBC, it would probably be well received. If you showed "Ireland AM" on BBC, well you can guess how that would be received.
    Im not complaining that its British, I'm complaining that its practically Irrelevant to TV viewers in Ireland. Its like have Euro News in French, its not worth playing.

You know what I've decided to give up on this forum because the chosen few seem to think it's there way or the high way.... There is a massive difference between coronation street which is a soap and GMB as that has a UK public service remit... There would be utter outrage in UK press if Ireland AM was shown on Channel 5 or some newly launched UK channel they would not accept it and this is the truth... I cannot understand why someone would want to watch a TV show which is so UKcentric and has nothing to do with the country they live in especially in news reports... Maybe I'm narrow minded but I think news from Ireland is a personally a higher priority... I cannot for the life of me understand why there is so much self loathing among Irish people if it's from the BBC or ITV it's the best thing ever if RTÉ, TV3 and TG4 etc even try to attempt anything it's considered crap from the get go.... My wife is British she even finds it funny Irish people would want to watch a UK aimed breakfast show in her own words I can't wait to see the Queens Speech in December on UTV... I think the important thing about Irish TV is that it's the thing that can differentiate it from other cultures from other in terms of media.... You can say RTÉ etc show UK tv programmes yes they do but in the minority of instances especially on RTÉ One, RTE 2 has always had a broad range of Irish UK American and other programming from elsewhere... I guess this forum is for a particular type of person who is anti-RTÉ and anti-TV3 some may call such individuals as west Brits but i wouldn't want to insult British people because at least they know who they are... Next time an tourist comes to ireland turns on the TV to find GMB on an Irish TV let's hope they won't refer to ireland as the UK or think we are the UK... Of course some people are happy to consume UK media and be completely ignorant to what's happening in there own country which is a shame... Good luck to all those on the forum who put a lot of effort in reporting stuff and to those who knock people opinions from the get go best of luck to you too I hope you enjoy watching your UK centric media while I go watch Irish TV with pride along with watching TV from France, Sweden, Germany, US, Australia, maybe I see things differently speaking more than one language broadens my viewing pleasure would hate to have to just rely on BBC, Sky and ITV for entertainment because in most cases it's cheap reality TV shows.

So to all those who knock Irish TV and productions thanks for not nourishing talent in ireland, thanks for encouraging possible jobs losses in the industry... This is the very reason many talented Irish people have to travel afar to get recognised before they get recognition in Ireland... To the self loathing Irish a really pity ye.

• Advertisement

I have no really issue with Daytime being made up with Imports, however the BAI should regulate channels based on audience size and insist on Prime Time Irish programme targets based on audience levels.

I'd rather see a new Irish drama on any of the Irish channels over Ireland AM.

Advertisement