Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The ITV Thread

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

irishmusicfeed take a 48 hour ban for that rant. We allow legitimate opinions and debate here however to brand an entire forum as "west Brit" because your argument doesn't stand up to scrutiny is just not on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

I dont mind them showing GMB. UTV Irl is a psuedo public service broadcaster by any means i.e. news only covering the public service remit. Remeber in the end its a commercial station, it has to make money outside of the soaps so any additional advertising revenue it gains from GMB will help it and bring an audience. I would however wish they would invest money in buying more of the ITV schedule instead of relying on repeats, granted that TV3 have probably some of the remaining stuff in long term agreements.
    I have asked them will they be showing the boxing on twitter, but the havent replied yet. It shouldnt cost them that much to buy it from Barry McGuigan(the owner of the rights).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 408 ✭✭NormanNicetouch

Just lodged a formal complaint with UTV Ireland and the BAI about them broadcasting GMB... this is outrageous!

Have you also lodged one about TG4 broadcasting France 24 every morning which they have been doing for the last few years?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,799 ✭✭✭lertsnim

The only other realistic bid for the boxing would come from Setanta so it would certainly be worth their while going for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭iseegirls

I'm sure they are not looking forward to 17th Feb, when Champions League is back. The viewer reaction to them not being able to show it should be big.

• Advertisement

Their sports output will be almost nil. I am coming to believe their business plan did not include paying for any ancillary sports rights that ITV show for 2 reasons. (a) Setanta/Tv3 have most of the rights eg French open final on ITV is shown on Setanta here and (b) repeats are cheaper than paying for irish rights to programmes. As i said before their first major challenge could come as early as next week if ITV win premier league highlights. they will either have to fork out a million euro for irish rights per year or just show repeats from the itv studios which cost them nothing.

I noticed that on the Sky planner they have changed 'Good Morning Britain' to 'GMB' which starts next Monday on UTV Ireland.

As i said before their first major challenge could come as early as next week if ITV win premier league highlights. they will either have to fork out a million euro for irish rights per year.

Do we know that Setanta actually paid that much? Given the circumstances in which they obtained the highlights rights, I'd be surprised if they paid much at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Souriau

UTV Ireland need to put more effort in local input during the day
    for example This Morning on the EPG stated UTV Ireland weather at 10.55 - 11.00, but when I watched it there was no weather report.
    Will they be able to put in local news during local news op-out during upcoming GMB?

icdg wrote: »
    Do we know that Setanta actually paid that much? Given the circumstances in which they obtained the highlights rights, I'd be surprised if they paid much at all.
    not known as to what price they paid, only that rte said at the time the would save circa€1.3m per annum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭A Disgrace

Souriau wrote: »
    UTV Ireland need to put more effort in local input during the day
    for example This Morning on the EPG stated UTV Ireland weather at 10.55 - 11.00, but when I watched it there was no weather report.
    Will they be able to put in local news during local news op-out during upcoming GMB?

Considering they can’t be bothered to have news programming at weekends, I doubt they’ll go to the hassle of live ‘local’ bulletins daily, in the early hours, on what will be a poorly watched show anyway. It’s simply a filler program for UTVI, to kill some time before the soaps start

iseegirls wrote: »
    I'm sure they are not looking forward to 17th Feb, when Champions League is back. The viewer reaction to them not being able to show it should be big.

I'm sure they won't care.

Why would anybody care when the game not shown can be seen on TV3 or by any satellite viewer on ITV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

lertsnim wrote: »

Why would anybody care when the game not shown can be seen on TV3 or by any satellite viewer on ITV.

TV3 is vaseline definition picture quality and if you're on UPC you don't have any ITV network option.

lertsnim wrote: »

They seemed to care when they weren't showing GMB. Luckily they have the rights to sort that one out. The Facebook and Twitter reaction though to the constant repeats that they've churned out in a month has been big, and I'm sure they weren't expecting as much bad negative feedback.

As for the Champions League, it's not in HD on TV3, and it's a completely different set-up about how UTV and TV3 cover the Champions League in terms of analysts, commentators, co-commentators and the presenters.

Being a UPC viewer, if I was given the choice to have either UTVni or UTVi, I would overwhelmingly go for UTVni. They've had 14 months to sort out a decent schedule, which at this current moment in time is terrible.

Yeah there'll be a bit of annoyance alright, though it's worth noting that all remaining Champions League fixtures this season will be available on TV3, RTE2 and Setanta (nine times out of ten it will be the same game on TV3 and ITV). Also that this is the last season of the Champions League on ITV before the big move to BT Sport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Hopfully TV3 will realise they need to improve their Sports coverage before RWC2015

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭endakenny

They seemed to care when they weren't showing GMB. Luckily they have the rights to sort that one out. The Facebook and Twitter reaction though to the constant repeats that they've churned out in a month has been big, and I'm sure they weren't expecting as much bad negative feedback.

As for the Champions League, it's not in HD on TV3, and it's a completely different set-up about how UTV and TV3 cover the Champions League in terms of analysts, commentators, co-commentators and the presenters.

Being a UPC viewer, if I was given the choice to have either UTVni or UTVi, I would overwhelmingly go for UTVni. They've had 14 months to sort out a decent schedule, which at this current moment in time is terrible.
    A football match is a football match, no matter who the analysts are, and colour is colour, whether it's HD or SD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,517 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I think GMB being shown on UTVi is a way of giving of more choice to viewers while living in Ireland.

Given the big reaction to having GMB back on UTVi would suggest that their are large enough numbers of Irish viewers that have maybe watched this on UTV NI particularly when on UPC. I would also think that the loss of viewers reflected in Ireland would suggest to ITV that there is an adequate number of people who do like the programme after all and may not want to lose a day to day routine in watching a TV Breakfast show in the morning.

But the loss of that show does not mean they would lost everything in that genre. They have other choices like BBC Breakfast on BBC One and Sunrise on Sky News and also if they dreaded it for an Irish option, Ireland AM on TV3.

There could have been the possibility of UTVi having their own breakfast TV programme for ROI viewers in the near future if they were content on not showing GMB in their morning schedules. That would be a given depending on the size of their HQ in the Docklands and other things if wasn't focusing too much on Product placement unlike TV3. The question is though do UTVi's viewers want to have the choice of having another breakfast show instead of showing GMB or going up against the likes of TV3.

It just goes to show that their are various different potential options out there for UTVi if 1) They are resarched in great detail and 2) Will their new idea make a lot of new advertising revenue for the channel. This channel, like many other channels across the globe, has to create ways of trying to maintain an audience in anyway possible. I and many other people on this forum would that type of ideal does not reflect their scheduling at the moment. I am not a regular viewer of UTVi at all when I make this post. Up to now, I only have seen 2 news bulletins of Ireland Live at 10 and Pat Kenny's documentary on it's opening night and nothing more so far.

Nothing on that channel would entice me to watch it on a regular basis if they are showing mostly ITV repeats on TV3.

A couple of things would need to happen to make the channel viable in any possible order.

1) Have UTVi in HD on Saorview.
    2) Show coverage of more minority sports that is not shown on RTE on a regular basis if demand is needed.
    3) Have a portfolio of decent films once rights get renewed with some new premieres thrown into the mix.
    4) Create new ideas for a new breakfast TV programme to make it compete with TV3 and RTE's failed Morning Editon offering.
    5) Create more documentaries focusing on Irish culture and diversity.

There is a lot of ideas out there for this channel and they just have to look where it will work for them long term.

They seemed to care when they weren't showing GMB. Luckily they have the rights to sort that one out.

And that is the main difference, they owned the rights to GMB so they were able to consider it.

With the Champions League there is no point in them thinking about because what can they do? As always they will be bombarded online by people who have no understanding about what they are complaining about.

At the end of it all the same game shown on ITV will be shown on TV3 or Setanta Ireland, both of which are basic channels on UPC. Different coverage maybe but the game is there.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Woodie40

The mirroring of the schedules is a complete joke. UTV Ireland more like UTV NI. They should have left as UTV NI.... Ah but then they wouldn't have been able to claim they had an Irish station and get funding from the BAI and revenue from advertising int the Republic. Suppose we'll be looking for the queens speach on Christmas Day. Like the way they're trying to disguise Good Morning Britain on the epg by using GMB......

• Advertisement

Woodie40 wrote: »
    The mirroring of the schedules is a complete joke. UTV Ireland more like UTV NI. They should have left as UTV NI.... Ah but then they wouldn't have been able to claim they had an Irish station and get funding from the BAI and revenue from advertising int the Republic. Suppose we'll be looking for the queens speach on Christmas Day. Like the way they're trying to disguise Good Morning Britain on the epg by using GMB......

The BAI already provide UTV with funding, already agree money toward their archive. FTA channels can get funding, Saorview is not a requirement. Not to mention Setanta get funding for so called "freeview" hours.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/media-and-marketing/utv-ireland-will-take-8-viewing-share-media-agency-predicts-1.2082586

media agency reckons utvirl will garner 8% share of the advertising market, not quite what UTVIRL are expecting. At the present schedule I cant see them geting 8% outside of Emmerdale and Corrie.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/media-and-marketing/utv-ireland-will-take-8-viewing-share-media-agency-predicts-1.2082586

media agency reckons utvirl will garner 8% share of the advertising market, not quite what UTVIRL are expecting. At the present schedule I cant see them geting 8% outside of Emmerdale and Corrie.

Which is what TV3 will also get.

Piece from The Irish Star:

http://www.thestar.ie/star/utv-ireland-bosses-we-didnt-see-backlash-coming-58232/
    We’ve been inundated with requests about one programme brand in particular, which is as much as I can say at this time, and that programme brand is going to be brought to the channel.

Oooh I wonder what that could be? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,875 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Curious for a so called Irish national television station that we should get the delights of "Good morning Britain" before heading to work. I don't care how popular it is I don't think that is right.

I'd rather watch GMB on an actual British television station rather than be insulted by one masquerading as an Irish station.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/media-and-marketing/utv-ireland-to-screen-good-morning-britain-to-boost-ratings-1.2084494

I just can not take this station seriously and the BAI have questions to answer in my opinion.

Curious for a so called Irish national television station that we should get the delights of "Good morning Britain" before heading to work. I don't care how popular it is I don't think that is right.

I'd rather watch GMB on an actual British television station rather than be insulted by one masquerading as an Irish station.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/media-and-marketing/utv-ireland-to-screen-good-morning-britain-to-boost-ratings-1.2084494

I just can not take this station seriously and the BAI have questions to answer in my opinion.

The BAI gave them a general broadcast licence similar to a licence given to Say PickTV, CBS Action etc from OfCom. The Minister gave them so called "Public Service" status.

I have no problem with it airing as long as the service provides quality Irish programming during prime time hours.

Why can't jornalist ask how many viewers "old" UTV had for ITV Breakfast hours :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,875 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Elmo wrote: »

I have no problem with it airing as long as the service provides quality Irish programming during prime time hours.

They don't. Why has the BAI given a license to broadcast in the Republic of Ireland to a station that is stuffed with UK broadcasting and why do they have PSB status? I see murmmerings about the ITN news being brought back. So then we'll get the "national" news at 10 before shifting to our "region"? Might as well.

You don't see a problem with where this is going?

I watch a lot of UK programming like everyone else but I want to see it on a UK station not one pretending to be an Irish station.

They don't. Why has the BAI given a license to broadcast in the Republic of Ireland to a station that is stuffed with UK broadcasting and why do they have PSB status? I see murmmerings about the ITN news being brought back. So then we'll get the "national" news at 10 before shifting to our "region"? Might as well.

You don't see a problem with where this is going?

I watch a lot of UK programming like everyone else but I want to see it on a UK station not one pretending to be an Irish station.

There are problems with UTV Ireland and its licence.

It has the same licence as Setanta Sport and Channel 6. Channel 6 invested less in Irish programming and was largely an American re-run channel, and still largely is as 3e.

Ireland is too small to have 3 mainstream channels (RTÉ ONE, TV3 and UTVI).

From Saorview point of view it gives some more choice which is needed.

The BAI and the Department need to look at how to regulate TV channels. IMO prime time is the most important part of the day for TV, what commercial services provided during the morning and afternoon should be left up to them to an extent.

The only reason TV3 introduced Ireland AM was to insure it met their needs to the regulator and so it could sell more advertising. If you look at TV3s schedules from 1999 to 2008 their is very little that made it Irish. I would have rather see the Regulator saying you need to have at least 30mins on average per day of Irish programming produced by Independent producers between 7pm and 11pm (Excluding News and Sport) with a commitment to 2hours of news & current affairs across the day with at least a 30 news programme in prime time between 6pm and 11pm. (When TV3 first started)

This as a national commercial public service licence.

Currently TV3 just wants to say it has 50% of its programming from Ireland, I'd rather see 50% quality programming in prime time coming from Ireland.

Now it should be based on audience/market share rather than on a licence. For example 3e achieve a 2% its commitment to Irish programming should be based on this. If it grows it should see its commitment to Irish programme also grow.

Confirmed that there will be Ireland Live updates in Good Morning Britain.

Surely this is a positive thing? One month in they're adding an extra 15 minutes worth of Irish news, in addition to the ITN content in GMB. All I've seen from TV3 are cuts in news.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

icdg wrote: »
    Confirmed that there will be Ireland Live updates in Good Morning Britain.

Surely this is a positive thing? One month in they're adding an extra 15 minutes worth of Irish news, in addition to the ITN content in GMB. All I've seen from TV3 are cuts in news.

Not if the coverage is shíte. Who's the woman doing the news? Looks like she's trying too hard.

Advertisement