Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The ITV Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭iseegirls

icdg wrote: »
    Confirmed that there will be Ireland Live updates in Good Morning Britain.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/media-and-marketing/utv-ireland-to-screen-good-morning-britain-to-boost-ratings-1.2084494

Surely this is a positive thing? One month in they're adding an extra 15 minutes worth of Irish news, in addition to the ITN content in GMB. All I've seen from TV3 are cuts in news.

From the article, it doesn't say whether these are live updates, or recaps of the main stories from the previous night.

As for TV3, they've added 30 minutes of lunchtime news over the past year, so they have increased their news output.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

iseegirls wrote: »

As for TV3, they've added 30 minutes of lunchtime news over the past year, so they have increased their news output.

10 minutes of that came from cutting what was left of the "straight news" bulletin before Vincent Browne

10 minutes of that came from cutting what was left of the "straight news" bulletin before Vincent Browne

Well in that case, it means then they've added 20minutes of news every weekday. So it's still an increase.
    Now if you compared it to to RTE2s lack of news ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭galtee boy

Piece from The Irish Star:

http://www.thestar.ie/star/utv-ireland-bosses-we-didnt-see-backlash-coming-58232/

Oooh I wonder what that could be? :rolleyes:

Is it not just a formal announcement of GMB being broadcast from Monday, to keep UPC viewers onside ?

galtee boy wrote: »
    Is it not just a formal announcement of GMB being broadcast from Monday, to keep UPC viewers onside ?

Yep that's all it was, my rolly-eyes was for the fact that The Star couldn't put 2 and 2 together and say it was GMB, which we actually knew here last week when we saw the listings.

• Advertisement

Yep that's all it was, my rolly-eyes was for the fact that The Star couldn't put 2 and 2 together and say it was GMB, which we actually knew here last week when we saw the listings.

Sorry, not with it today, didn't see your rolly-eyes !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 902 ✭✭✭twinklerunner

Well in that case, it means then they've added 20minutes of news every weekday. So it's still an increase.
    Now if you compared it to to RTE2s lack of news ...

but .. RTE has a dedicated news channel so why should it be duplicated on RTE2?

UTV are billing it as "GMB with Ireland Live Updates" in their press release.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭endakenny

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/media-and-marketing/utv-ireland-to-screen-good-morning-britain-to-boost-ratings-1.2084494

Surely this is a positive thing? One month in they're adding an extra 15 minutes worth of Irish news, in addition to the ITN content in GMB. All I've seen from TV3 are cuts in news.
    Actually, the presenters of Good Morning Britain, including the newsreaders, are employed by ITV Breakfast Broadcasting Ltd, which is wholly owned by ITV plc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ITV_Breakfast

The news reports at the top and half of the hour are supplied by ITN now and have been for a decade or more though? I know in the 1990s they were supplied by Reuters but that was a long time ago. It would be extraordinary duplication if GMB maintained an entire national news operation seperate from ITN. There was "ITV News" branding on the plasmas and ticker last time I checked?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Woodie40

So the main presenters will be announcing that we're off to your part of the UK for your local news.... great news indeed..:confused:

They were recording customised intros last time I saw GMB, not sure if they bother anymore.

It is the BBC which mainly uses the phrase "our news teams around the United Kingdom" - ITV Breakfast tended to use "the news where you are" in the past. In deference to Scotland in particular the terms "local news" or "regional news" don't tend to be used on air or either network any more.

They were recording customised intros last time I saw GMB, not sure if they bother anymore.

It is the BBC which mainly uses the phrase "our news teams around the United Kingdom" - ITV Breakfast tended to use "the news where you are" in the past. In deference to Scotland in particular the terms "local news" or "regional news" don't tend to be used on air or either network any more.

I don't watch it. But I checked this morning and they stated whatever part of the UK you're waking up in....or words to that effect. When introducing the news they stated "your part of the UK"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,799 ✭✭✭lertsnim

It doesn't take a lot to bother some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭irishmusicfeed

The amount of people commenting on Irish Times page as to why GMB will air on an 'Irish' channel is gaining traction. Apparently the news from UTV Ireland on GMB will be pre-recorded. Cannot wait for them to say lets join our colleagues from across the UK especially Dublin ;).

The amount of people commenting on Irish Times page as to why GMB will air on an 'Irish' channel is gaining traction. Apparently the news from UTV Ireland on GMB will be pre-recorded. Cannot wait for them to say lets join our colleagues from across the UK especially Dublin ;).

Is there a comment section on Irish Times website, or am I just misreading what you are saying? The Journal had the report up this morning, with plenty of negative comments. Even their post on Facebook has garnered plenty of criticism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 902 ✭✭✭twinklerunner

Is there a comment section on Irish Times website, or am I just misreading what you are saying? The Journal had the report up this morning, with plenty of negative comments. Even their post on Facebook has garnered plenty of criticism.

There isn't a comments section on the Irish Times report

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I am guessing that ITN from london won't be airing on UTV Ireland and it will just be prerecorded Ireland Live.

See their facebook page for comments (I never mentioned their website)... I dont read the journal.ie so I couldn't comment on that and yes irishtimes.com has a comment section which is open on some articles.

See their facebook page for comments (I never mentioned their website)... I dont read the journal.ie so I couldn't comment on that and yes irishtimes.com has a comment section which is open on some articles.

Good Morning Britain or maybe they should say Good Morning UK..... Ah they will be doing that probably when they go to your region of the UK. Hasn't TV3 got an Irish breakfast show? I believe we also want itv news instead of irish news and I suppose next... the British queens speech. We're a region of the UK now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,217 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Woodie40 wrote: »
    We're a region of the UK now?

Yep we are! Ever since that presenter on that american news show was talking to the head of IDA Ireland and was completely confused that we used the Euro.
    (He was an absolute Gobshtie)

Woodie40 wrote: »
    Good Morning Britain or maybe they should say Good Morning UK..... Ah they will be doing that probably when they go to your region of the UK. Hasn't TV3 got an Irish breakfast show? I believe we also want itv news instead of irish news and I suppose next... the British queens speech. We're a region of the UK now?

Define 'we'...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,799 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Tonight's news has as the main news item, what Bertie Ahern thinks of today's political climate. That shouldn't be in the first half of of the show. It's no wonder people aren't watching it.

Define 'we'...

Well not me, UPC viewers?

I was a regular viewer of BBC Breakfast until about two months ago. They tend to use the line "and now for the news, traffic and travel wherever you are this morning". Never heard them mentioning the UK myself.

lertsnim wrote: »
    It doesn't take a lot to bother some people.

Totally agree with you. RTE relay Eastenders, about as British as you can get, cockney Londoners etc, TV3 relay Britains Got Talent, X Factor and used to do Cornonation St, Emmerdale ( now with UTVI), Manchester and Leeds based soaps, people don't seem to have any problem with these programmes, what's the problem with Good Morning Britain ? If you don't like it, don't watch it, but stop whinging about it and let those people who do want to watch it, watch it in peace. If it was a breakfast programme from the U.S. or Australia, would their be the same whinging, or do I detect a bit of anti Brit sentiment here ?

The name. There really is no problem other than the name. That's why UTV didn't show it as of day one - after all, they were showing Lorraine (which is essentially Part 2 of the same programme) as of day one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,217 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

galtee boy wrote: »
    Totally agree with you. RTE relay Eastenders, about as British as you can get, cockney Londoners etc, TV3 relay Britains Got Talent, X Factor and used to do Cornonation St, Emmerdale ( now with UTVI), Manchester and Leeds based soaps, people don't seem to have any problem with these programmes, what's the problem with Good Morning Britain ? If you don't like it, don't watch it, but stop whinging about it and let those people who do want to watch it, watch it in peace. If it was a breakfast programme from the U.S. or Australia, would their be the same whinging, or do I detect a bit of anti Brit sentiment here ?

If someone put the colour white on front of some of you, you would say its black ;)

People don't have problems with all those soaps etc, the main problem is the name! Good morning Britain! If it was daybreak there would be a far lesser problem.

I maintain that this was a stupid idea by UTV. They realised that their channel was not the walk through the park they were expecting, so they decided to bring in a popular British breakfast show called "Good Morning Britain". What they didn't realise is this would really stop people from watching it. If people have to choose between " Good Morning Britain

Its obvious some people will not have a problem with that (I cannot see the reasoning behind it, but I can't change peoples minds and everyone has different ideas), but the vast majority of people will actually be turned off the channel. A lot of Irish people are proud of being independent of the UK, even today! So when this channel decides to bring in a TV talk/news show with the word "Britain", it will piss off people.

Imagine selling that French magazine (the one that its journalists killed by the extremists) in Syria and Egypt? This dispute on GMB is noting compared to the rebellions if that happened there.

That's my view.

The name. There really is no problem other than the name. That's why UTV didn't show it as of day one - after all, they were showing Lorraine (which is essentially Part 2 of the same programme) as of day one.

Pretty narrow minded of people, if having the word "Britain" in the title of a TV programme upsets them. It's like all the Irish people who support and spend a lot of money travelling to the UK, to see their beloved UK football team, but then love to see the exact same players fail, when they wear the white shirt of England, total hypocrites.

• Advertisement

Absolutely. But here, I don't hear the same complaining about Britain's Got Talent. Which I'm sure no one in Ireland ever watches.

Advertisement