Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The ITV Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,217 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

galtee boy wrote: »
    Pretty narrow minded of people,
    Narrow minded? That's a pretty petty insult.
    if having the word "Britain" in the title of a TV programme upsets them.
    It's like all the Irish people who support and spend a lot of money travelling to the UK, to see their beloved UK football team, but then love to see the exact same players fail, when they wear the white shirt of England, total hypocrites.

I disagree. Football pride is a complicated thing. People support the teams more than the players. Have you ever heard of national pride? So if I like Rooney on Manchester United, does this automatically mean I have to support England? Hardly. If you think I do, than you are the Narrow Minded one.

icdg wrote: »
    Absolutely. But here, I don't hear the same complaining about Britain's Got Talent. Which I'm sure no one in Ireland ever watches.

I think Its the combination of It being "Good Morning Britian" which is a breakfast news and talk show that make it toxic. We Irish watch a lot of British telly, but there are boundaries, and Good Morning Britain breaks these boundaries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭galtee boy

Carnacalla wrote: »
    I think Its the combination of It being "Good Morning Britian" which is a breakfast news and talk show that make it toxic. We Irish watch a lot of British telly, but there are boundaries, and Good Morning Britain breaks these boundaries.

If you don't like the word Britain, why do you watch British tv at all ? And for Gods sake, it's a TV programme, they are not about to put troops back on the streets in the Republic !

If you don't like the word Britain, why do you watch British tv at all ? And for Gods sake, it's a TV programme, they are not about to put troops back on the streets in the Republic !

My supposed disliking of the word Britain (When did I say this?) shouldn't stop me from watching other Programmes I like from the UK. But I can guarantee people will not take seeing GMB well, I dont like seeing it either, but I wont let it bother me. My point is it was a stupid decision by UTV because it will be met with alot of disapproval of the ordinary irish lay men. It will in effect damage UTV's reputation.

Thats my arguement, take it or leave it :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭galtee boy

My supposed disliking of the word Britain (When did I say this?) shouldn't stop me from watching other Programmes I like from the UK. But I can guarantee people will not take seeing GMB well, I dont like seeing it either, but I wont let it bother me. My point is it was a stupid decision by UTV because it will be met with alot of disapproval of the ordinary irish lay men. It will in effect damage UTV's reputation.

Thats my arguement, take it or leave it :P

We will have to agree to disagree. UTVI must have got a lot of flack from somewhere ( UPC viewers presumably ), to start showing GMB, so there must be some support for it. If the name is causing upset for some, it will be a storm in a tea cup for a day or so and then something else will grab the headlines. I don't think it will harm UTVI, that's my opinion and I'll leave it there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Charles Slane

We Irish watch a lot of British telly, but there are boundaries, and Good Morning Britain breaks these boundaries.

Really? There are boundaries to what TV I can watch?

Really? There are boundaries to what TV I can watch?

My god, people here are so amazingly good at twisting words. No, there are boundaries with what's smart to put on TV and what's just plain stupid.

You can watch whatever the fcuk you want, when you want to watch it and for as long as you want to watch it as long as its legal:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭Infoanon

My god, people here are so amazingly good at twisting words. No, there are boundaries with what's smart to put on TV and what's just plain stupid.

You can watch whatever the fcuk you want, when you want to watch it and for as long as you want to watch it as long as its legal:P

Its a sound commercial decision by UTVI and will attract more viewers as a lead into Lorraine and the rest of the daytime programming.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Elmo wrote: »
    I am guessing that ITN from london won't be airing on UTV Ireland and it will just be prerecorded Ireland Live.

I don't think they could omit the news updates, they're an intregal and substanial part of the programme.

But I was thinking. If UTV were really clever, they could have the UTV Live team do the Ireland Live news updates, from Belfast using copy and reports supplied by the Dublin newsroom. That way they'd only need to prerecord minutes before instead of the night before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Charles Slane

But I was thinking. If UTV were really clever, they could have the UTV Live team do the Ireland Live news updates, from Belfast using copy and reports supplied by the Dublin newsroom.

Oh, that is clever!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 454 ✭✭Peter Anthony

I believe they are showing Boxer Carl Framptons next World Title fight in Belfast on 28th February. He is trained and promoted by Barry McGuigan and his son Shane. Hes a bit of a star up North and in the boxing scene here.

The big news TV wise is its being televised on ITV1 in England, the first time boxing has been on ITV1 in a decade or so. The undercard is on ITV4 and its being shown across UTV in the North and UTV Ireland here. Which would be a bit of a coup and the first major sport for the channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

I believe they are showing Boxer Carl Framptons next World Title fight in Belfast on 28th February. He is trained and promoted by Barry McGuigan and his son Shane. Hes a bit of a star up North and in the boxing scene here.

The big news TV wise is its being televised on ITV1 in England, the first time boxing has been on ITV1 in a decade or so. The undercard is on ITV4 and its being shown across UTV in the North and UTV Ireland here. Which would be a bit of a coup and the first major sport for the channel.
    Have UTVI confirmed Irish rights?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,875 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Pretty narrow minded of people

I think people have the right to query whether it is appropriate for an "Irish" television station that has a PSB license in this country to be showing "Good Morning Britain".

I was in the UK recently and I must have missed "Good Morning France" or "Good morning America" or the equivalent on ITV over there.

This is the Republic of Ireland and we deserve more from a "national" television station than this. I have no issue with GMB AT ALL. Only i'd rather watch it on a British television station and not one masquerading as Irish as I said before.

Is there nobody that finds UTVI's entire lineup verging on demeaning? It's full of UK programming yet it's suppose to be national television station here. I don't think that is good enough and it is treating Irish audiences with contempt. They might deserve that contempt but it still does not make it right.

I think people have the right to query whether it is appropriate for an "Irish" television station that has a PSB license in this country to be showing "Good Morning Britain".

I was in the UK recently and I must have missed "Good Morning France" or "Good morning America" or the equivalent on ITV over there.

This is the Republic of Ireland and we deserve more from a "national" television station than this. I have no issue with GMB AT ALL. Only i'd rather watch it on a British television station and not one masquerading as Irish as I said before.

Is there nobody that finds UTVI's entire lineup verging on demeaning? It's full of UK programming yet it's suppose to be national television station here. I don't think that is good enough and it is treating Irish audiences with contempt. They might deserve that contempt but it still does not make it right.

Thanks kermit, I agree fully.
    This is basically my whole point, but expressed better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

But sure TV3 did this for many years? This isn't new. UTVi isn't a national broadcaster in the way in which TV3 were set up back in 1998. It's no more than a General Entertainment channel. The Department of Comms' civil servants advised the minister to give it public service status for Saorview, because they don't understand EU Law or the Broadcasting Act 2009.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,502 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

They should rename it 'Good Morning British Isles' and then there'd be no fuss.

They should rename it 'Good Morning The British Isles' and then there'd be no fuss.

FYP :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,799 ✭✭✭lertsnim

They should rename it 'Good Morning British Isles' and then there'd be no fuss.

You're joking right?

I was in the UK recently and I must have missed "Good Morning France" or "Good morning America" or the equivalent on ITV over theee..

Today from NBC was shown in the UK for over a decade between Sky News and Super and was even on RTE for a brief period in 1990.

People have short memories - when TV3 launched in 1998 there was hardly any Irish programmes except the news and no one was watching that because it was straight up against Six One. It took them over a decade to get up to the level of Irish programmes they have noww. UTV already has more Irish programmes than 3e, by the way, which has both a full PSB licence and a better EPG slot than UTV!

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭formerly scottish paddy

Only i'd rather watch it on a British television station and not one masquerading as Irish
    I think this is the point, UTV (I) is a television station run from a UK city (Belfast) with UK programming. It's main purpose is to more effectively suck money out of the Irish advertising market. Other UK channels do this to a lesser extent with opt-out ads for the Irish market, but UTV have brought this to a new level. In any unequal relationship between countries such as the UK and Ireland this is bound to happen, especially ones sharing a common language. At least the country is getting something back from UTV in terms of jobs and fees to Saorview, unlike SKY and Channel 4.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭iseegirls

People have short memories - when TV3 launched in 1998 there was hardly any Irish programmes except the news and no one was watching that because it was straight up against Six One. It took them over a decade to get up to the level of Irish programmes they have noww. UTV already has more Irish programmes than 3e, by the way, which has both a full PSB licence and a better EPG slot than UTV!

TV3 had a lot more home produced programmes back in 1998 than what UTVi have on now. An hour of news at 6, news tonight, sports tonight, weekend news, the week in review, 2 hour music show Pop On 3, The Pepsi Chart Show, quiz show A Game Of Two Halves, daytime debate with Speakeasy, travel series Messrs Tylak And Rooney, children's section called Gimme 3.

Comparisons between 3e and UTVi is unfair. Both have completely different budgets set. 3e is run on a shoestring, and will never have money to splash out on lot of homemade programming. However it is a channel that has a good share of tv viewing.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭irishmusicfeed

Probably best not to question or criticize UTV on this forum people don't value such criticism. It's the bees knees...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Crimsonforce

Excellent observation. Fully agree with your comments. I feel like I am being treated like a moron by utvI. This is not Belfast with lesser spotted whatever,nor is it good morning Britain.
    Giving me 1 hour of news does not cut it in between re runs of Jeremy kyle....

Whether you like tv3 programming or not,they try and try really hard with their Irish programming.

UTV Ireland is a bit like the Republic’s postboxes…British in design but with a lick of green paint to ‘differentiate’itself from Britain.
    ManyUTV Ireland viewers from Monday will wake up in Britain oh wait! no they’ll wake up in Ireland but with British news, British presenters and British weather coverage with some Irish news (possibly pre-recorded) thrown in for good measure.
    Okay so what’s new? Yes, RTÉ broadcasts British soaps, RTÉ 2 broadcasts British sports and in the past both TV3 and its sister network 3e relied heavily on the UK’s ITV programming. TG4 is different, a niche channel primarily Irish speaking or dubbing with imported content mainly from the US and Scandinavian broadcasters (with English subtitles). Setanta Sports also relies on UK sports, but also invests in supporting local and international sporting events and the recently launched Irish TV is a nationalists dream. One major difference between UTV Ireland and the broadcasters mentioned is their continued efforts to invest and nurture Irish programming despite what might be seen at times as an overreliance on imports from the UK and other territories.
    UTV is the newcomer so let’s give it a break, right? No, actually the broadcaster has been around since 1959, so some members of the viewing public would expect greater things.
    Today it was confirmed after much speculation; ITV’s Good Morning Britain will make its debut from February on UTV Ireland. A press release confirmed such rumours stating from ‘…a large amount of feedback from viewers – via social media and direct contact – who were keen to see the introduction of Good Morning Britain on the channel”.
    This is great PR for UTV as the broadcaster comes across as good listeners and do gooders providing viewers with what they want upon request, but this is a contentious issue. Launched with poor viewing figures some might ask are UTV Media plc overestimating its popularity? Inundated with requests ‘give us back UTV Northern Ireland’, most of the blame was pushed onto UPC Ireland, but the reality is UPC can only offer channels made available to them. In a very typical Irish rebellious response ‘I want my UTVNI’, people turned online to tell others of how you can deceive UTV Ireland Ltd and gain access to UTV Northern Ireland unofficially through Sky or availability through Freesat.
    People in the Republic really enjoy(ed) the Northern Ireland service. We all have fond memories of the broadcaster and gleefully claiming how “crap” Saturday night entertainment was on RTÉ when compared to UTV. One would wonder why UTV Media plc decided to launch a channel in the Republic?
    Was it to produce unique Irish entertainment? Probably not, looking at its current schedule and possible future plans, its investment in Irish content looks minimal (though they do plan on producing a one-off drama called Pilgrimage funded by the tax payer through the BAI’s Sound & Vision Fund). Or was it to gain a foothold in the advertising market, in what some might claim is an overpopulated television market for such a small population like ours. Apparently, Ireland is Europe’s fastest growing economy so like UTV, many brands will begin to target Ireland once again as the Celtic Tiger Part Deux rears its head.
    Prior to launch, UTV Ireland claimed it would provide ‘unmissable’ entertainment and something fresh, unfortunately for some all the channel is doing is relaying its existing Northern Ireland service although absent of some key programming like Broadchruch and The X-Factor, as TV3 were clever enough to keep onto these shows until 2016.
    Don’t get us wrong we are not anti-UTV; in fact we welcome it to the Republic of Ireland with opened arms. UTV Ireland’s impressive news coverage (while failing to grab an audience) should have TV3 News very nervous and the nation’s leading news service provider RTÉ News should be enhancing its existing services. Other than that UTV doesn’t offer anything ‘new’ to audiences in the Republic.
    UTV Ireland had the opportunity to break free from the reigns of ITV and try to do something completely novel and innovative. It could have continued to broadcast the current UTV Northern Ireland feed alongside a UTV for the Republic with a unique schedule providing further Irish and international content. Instead, UTV Media plc who has links with ITV (through Channel 3 licence for Northern Ireland) entered a period of sluggishness when it entered the Republic. Instead of launching impressive sports coverage to rival others, provide an alternative early morning Irish breakfast show to counteract TV3 or provide a canvas for independent companies to produce new Irish programming, UTV has decided to go down the ever increasing global TV mantra ‘one size fits all’. What we are getting is an UTV-ITV hybrid expecting Irish audiences to lap up whatever ITV desires and repackaging some content as ‘Irish’ – insert novelty news updates or use an Irish accent to introduce programming. While TV3’s Midday discusses feminism, UTV’s Loose Woman discuss fake tan, Judge Rinner is a poor man’s Judge Judy and Good Morning Britain welcomes its viewers from across the UK, oh wait! what? is this the future of Irish TV?
    UTV Ireland’s identity is based on an oversized ‘Ireland’ tag, maybe size matters or is the company trying to overcompensate? An emphasis on the colour green is all very O’rish. Along with this they have some amazing high-definition aerial shots of different locations across the island as part of the channels on-air identity. It offers a competitive news service for now which is largely underappreciated. It provides the rural community with a weekly farming show Rare Breed and utilizes UTV Northern Ireland’s James Nesbit’s Ireland and A lesser Spotted Journeys but that’s where the local content begins and ends.
    The channel has only been on air for one month it is early days, but its owners are experts at broadcasting. The assumption the UTV brand is powerful in the Republic and the lack of contracts signed with ITV before its Irish launch means the current channel is reliant on repeats which has angered many, sometimes unwarranted after all its meant to be an unmissable channel when compared to UTV Northern Ireland.
    Today’s announcement of Good Morning Britain (GMB) airing on UTV Ireland further enhances arguments that the broadcaster is not really interested in nurturing Irish talent or Irish programming. For some, GMB provides a much needed alternative to Ireland AM which is regularly criticized among forums and social networking, despite this winge factor the real fact is this breakfast brand is a very popular show for TV3 and has more viewers than BBC Northern Ireland’s BBC Breakfast simulcast or way-back when Channel 4’s Big Breakfast was on-air Ireland AM still came up trumps.
    Criticisms arise for UTV among the ‘everything on Irish TV is crap anyway’ comments some have directed further anger towards UTV Ireland Ltd. Comments on social networking sites following the announcement of GMB - ‘Goodbye UTV’, ‘They didn’t do any homework probably thought we would watch any old thing’, ‘No local TV’, ‘Whole thing is a disaster, pure amateurs. Cringe’, and ‘Have an IRISH morning show please!!!! With real IRISH people as we could use the jobs’.
    So why launch UTV Ireland? The reality for UTV Ireland was to gain a foothold in the Republic of Ireland marketplace, reap what they hope to be large amounts of euro from advertising revenue and give us the best PR spin of all time – jobs. Jobs at time when the economy was/still unstable and what government would deny granting a licence which would create potential employment. After all it makes the coalition look like they are doing something to stimulate job creation. UTV could utilize its strong workforce it could have launched its own breakfast show, maybe even launching a joint venture between its operations in both Belfast and Dublin – creating greater cohesion between both sides of the border, instead ITV’s mantra of ‘one-size fits all’ is what we get for now which culturally doesn’t fit.
    All this comes at a time when the Broadcasting Authority of Ireland sees this current period in Irish broadcasting as ‘the golden age’ with award winning dramas such as Love/Hate and increased viewership among Irish soaps, sports and current affairs programming on both RTÉ One and TV3. TV3 who are upping their game by broadcasting a schedule with 50 per cent Irish content (largely encouraged by the UTV Ireland launch) and RTÉ has a public service remit which it has to follow by law. No doubt the move of UTV into this market has shaken the market up and this is good. Both RTÉ 2 and 3e struggle to find a purpose especially at a time when TV channels expand in numbers and where the availability of a diverse range of programing becomes much narrower with a great emphasis on repeats. At a time where public and private Irish broadcasters are feeling the pressure from international broadcasters, no more a time is needed for an ongoing investment in Irish produced programming to weigh down the might that are Sky, ITV, BBC, FOX, NBC, HBO and Netflix to name a few. Some people are of the opinion public broadcasters or private broadcasters like TV3 who aim to produce public service programming have no role in contemporary media, but too often conglomerates like FOX and Sky do not reflect the social, cultural and political values of a community or society.
    UTV’s biggest problem is its identity crisis - while in Northern Ireland it can culturally straddle both Irish and British identities, here in the Republic is seems to be missing the local and placing greater emphasis on the Anglosphere.

irishmusicfeed it will be a fortnight ban if you make another comment about the general membership of this forum. After that it will be a permanent ban without warning for any infraction.

It is not possible for UTV to launch a breakfast show of any kind in Northern Ireland, it's licence does not allow it to broadcast between 06:00-09:25 on Channel 3. The news bulletins it provides in the North during GMB are done under contract with ITV Breakfast, a contract it has only recently got back after a long period where they were provided by others (Reuters, ITN, and then Macmillan Media).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Crimsonforce

UTV Ireland is a bit like the Republic’s postboxes…British in design but with a lick of green paint to ‘differentiate’itself from Britain.
    ManyUTV Ireland viewers from Monday will wake up in Britain oh wait! no they’ll wake up in Ireland but with British news, British presenters and British weather coverage with some Irish news (possibly pre-recorded) thrown in for good measure.
    Okay so what’s new? Yes, RTÉ broadcasts British soaps, RTÉ 2 broadcasts British sports and in the past both TV3 and its sister network 3e relied heavily on the UK’s ITV programming. TG4 is different, a niche channel primarily Irish speaking or dubbing with imported content mainly from the US and Scandinavian broadcasters (with English subtitles). Setanta Sports also relies on UK sports, but also invests in supporting local and international sporting events and the recently launched Irish TV is a nationalists dream. One major difference between UTV Ireland and the broadcasters mentioned is their continued efforts to invest and nurture Irish programming despite what might be seen at times as an overreliance on imports from the UK and other territories.
    UTV is the newcomer so let’s give it a break, right? No, actually the broadcaster has been around since 1959, so some members of the viewing public would expect greater things.
    Today it was confirmed after much speculation; ITV’s Good Morning Britain will make its debut from February on UTV Ireland. A press release confirmed such rumours stating from ‘…a large amount of feedback from viewers – via social media and direct contact – who were keen to see the introduction of Good Morning Britain on the channel”.
    This is great PR for UTV as the broadcaster comes across as good listeners and do gooders providing viewers with what they want upon request, but this is a contentious issue. Launched with poor viewing figures some might ask are UTV Media plc overestimating its popularity? Inundated with requests ‘give us back UTV Northern Ireland’, most of the blame was pushed onto UPC Ireland, but the reality is UPC can only offer channels made available to them. In a very typical Irish rebellious response ‘I want my UTVNI’, people turned online to tell others of how you can deceive UTV Ireland Ltd and gain access to UTV Northern Ireland unofficially through Sky or availability through Freesat.
    People in the Republic really enjoy(ed) the Northern Ireland service. We all have fond memories of the broadcaster and gleefully claiming how “crap” Saturday night entertainment was on RTÉ when compared to UTV. One would wonder why UTV Media plc decided to launch a channel in the Republic?
    Was it to produce unique Irish entertainment? Probably not, looking at its current schedule and possible future plans, its investment in Irish content looks minimal (though they do plan on producing a one-off drama called Pilgrimage funded by the tax payer through the BAI’s Sound & Vision Fund). Or was it to gain a foothold in the advertising market, in what some might claim is an overpopulated television market for such a small population like ours. Apparently, Ireland is Europe’s fastest growing economy so like UTV, many brands will begin to target Ireland once again as the Celtic Tiger Part Deux rears its head.
    Prior to launch, UTV Ireland claimed it would provide ‘unmissable’ entertainment and something fresh, unfortunately for some all the channel is doing is relaying its existing Northern Ireland service although absent of some key programming like Broadchruch and The X-Factor, as TV3 were clever enough to keep onto these shows until 2016.
    Don’t get us wrong we are not anti-UTV; in fact we welcome it to the Republic of Ireland with opened arms. UTV Ireland’s impressive news coverage (while failing to grab an audience) should have TV3 News very nervous and the nation’s leading news service provider RTÉ News should be enhancing its existing services. Other than that UTV doesn’t offer anything ‘new’ to audiences in the Republic.
    UTV Ireland had the opportunity to break free from the reigns of ITV and try to do something completely novel and innovative. It could have continued to broadcast the current UTV Northern Ireland feed alongside a UTV for the Republic with a unique schedule providing further Irish and international content. Instead, UTV Media plc who has links with ITV (through Channel 3 licence for Northern Ireland) entered a period of sluggishness when it entered the Republic. Instead of launching impressive sports coverage to rival others, provide an alternative early morning Irish breakfast show to counteract TV3 or provide a canvas for independent companies to produce new Irish programming, UTV has decided to go down the ever increasing global TV mantra ‘one size fits all’. What we are getting is an UTV-ITV hybrid expecting Irish audiences to lap up whatever ITV desires and repackaging some content as ‘Irish’ – insert novelty news updates or use an Irish accent to introduce programming. While TV3’s Midday discusses feminism, UTV’s Loose Woman discuss fake tan, Judge Rinner is a poor man’s Judge Judy and Good Morning Britain welcomes its viewers from across the UK, oh wait! what? is this the future of Irish TV?
    UTV Ireland’s identity is based on an oversized ‘Ireland’ tag, maybe size matters or is the company trying to overcompensate? An emphasis on the colour green is all very O’rish. Along with this they have some amazing high-definition aerial shots of different locations across the island as part of the channels on-air identity. It offers a competitive news service for now which is largely underappreciated. It provides the rural community with a weekly farming show Rare Breed and utilizes UTV Northern Ireland’s James Nesbit’s Ireland and A lesser Spotted Journeys but that’s where the local content begins and ends.
    The channel has only been on air for one month it is early days, but its owners are experts at broadcasting. The assumption the UTV brand is powerful in the Republic and the lack of contracts signed with ITV before its Irish launch means the current channel is reliant on repeats which has angered many, sometimes unwarranted after all its meant to be an unmissable channel when compared to UTV Northern Ireland.
    Today’s announcement of Good Morning Britain (GMB) airing on UTV Ireland further enhances arguments that the broadcaster is not really interested in nurturing Irish talent or Irish programming. For some, GMB provides a much needed alternative to Ireland AM which is regularly criticized among forums and social networking, despite this winge factor the real fact is this breakfast brand is a very popular show for TV3 and has more viewers than BBC Northern Ireland’s BBC Breakfast simulcast or way-back when Channel 4’s Big Breakfast was on-air Ireland AM still came up trumps.
    Criticisms arise for UTV among the ‘everything on Irish TV is crap anyway’ comments some have directed further anger towards UTV Ireland Ltd. Comments on social networking sites following the announcement of GMB - ‘Goodbye UTV’, ‘They didn’t do any homework probably thought we would watch any old thing’, ‘No local TV’, ‘Whole thing is a disaster, pure amateurs. Cringe’, and ‘Have an IRISH morning show please!!!! With real IRISH people as we could use the jobs’.
    So why launch UTV Ireland? The reality for UTV Ireland was to gain a foothold in the Republic of Ireland marketplace, reap what they hope to be large amounts of euro from advertising revenue and give us the best PR spin of all time – jobs. Jobs at time when the economy was/still unstable and what government would deny granting a licence which would create potential employment. After all it makes the coalition look like they are doing something to stimulate job creation. UTV could utilize its strong workforce it could have launched its own breakfast show, maybe even launching a joint venture between its operations in both Belfast and Dublin – creating greater cohesion between both sides of the border, instead ITV’s mantra of ‘one-size fits all’ is what we get for now which culturally doesn’t fit.
    All this comes at a time when the Broadcasting Authority of Ireland sees this current period in Irish broadcasting as ‘the golden age’ with award winning dramas such as Love/Hate and increased viewership among Irish soaps, sports and current affairs programming on both RTÉ One and TV3. TV3 who are upping their game by broadcasting a schedule with 50 per cent Irish content (largely encouraged by the UTV Ireland launch) and RTÉ has a public service remit which it has to follow by law. No doubt the move of UTV into this market has shaken the market up and this is good. Both RTÉ 2 and 3e struggle to find a purpose especially at a time when TV channels expand in numbers and where the availability of a diverse range of programing becomes much narrower with a great emphasis on repeats. At a time where public and private Irish broadcasters are feeling the pressure from international broadcasters, no more a time is needed for an ongoing investment in Irish produced programming to weigh down the might that are Sky, ITV, BBC, FOX, NBC, HBO and Netflix to name a few. Some people are of the opinion public broadcasters or private broadcasters like TV3 who aim to produce public service programming have no role in contemporary media, but too often conglomerates like FOX and Sky do not reflect the social, cultural and political values of a community or society.
    UTV’s biggest problem is its identity crisis - while in Northern Ireland it can culturally straddle both Irish and British identities, here in the Republic is seems to be missing the local and placing greater emphasis on the Anglosphere.

One of the best written and weighed post I have read in a long time

Given its lenght, for readability purposes can I ask users not to quote the entire of Irishmusicfeed's last post. Relevant portions can be quoted if you wish to respond to them

irishmusicfeed it will be a fortnight ban if you make another comment about the general membership of this forum. After that it will be a permanent ban without warning for any infraction.

Ban me if that is how you wish.... please keep in mind as a citizen of the Republic of Ireland my opinions whether you agree with them are not are enshrined by the State's Constitution please see freedom of expression of opinions article 40.6.1º
    also as a citizen of the European Union - Article 10 of the European Convention on Human Rights provides the right to freedom of expression and information, subject to certain restrictions that are "in accordance with law" and "necessary in a democratic society". This right includes the freedom to hold opinions, and to receive and impart information and ideas.

I do not think it is appropriate for any forum to value some people's arguments as more worthy then others, the internet is an open democracy and like most people I value feedback without being censored, but I guess holding such an opinion one would receive an automatic ban.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

Oh, that is clever!

The ITV newsrooms in Gateshead and Bristol produce completely different news programmes for two separate regions (Border/Tyne Tees and what used to be West/Westcountry, respectively), one of which is prercorded. I'm sure UTV could manage this, especially if it was only the morning broadcasts.

• Advertisement

Difference is that Irish Postal services were introduced by the English.

Many UTV Ireland viewers from Monday will wake up in Britain oh wait! no they’ll wake up in Ireland but with British news, British presenters and British weather coverage with some Irish news (possibly pre-recorded) thrown in for good measure.

TBH I think that UTV Ireland avoided GMB for this reason, until people started asking for it and all the complaints towards lack of simulcast from UPC viewers.

Okay so what’s new? Yes, RTÉ broadcasts British soaps, RTÉ 2 broadcasts British sports and in the past both TV3 and its sister network 3e relied heavily on the UK’s ITV programming. TG4 is different, a niche channel primarily Irish speaking or dubbing with imported content mainly from the US and Scandinavian broadcasters (with English subtitles).

RTÉ2 was largely set up as it was seen back in 1978 that many in the south and west of the country could not get ITV/BBC broadcast hence the reason in the early years for so many simulcast, in an era where Breaky TV would not start until 1983.

TG4 do not dub any adult content from the US or other countries, in the early years they did with some European countries, but largely speaking it was found that few bi-lingual speaking adults enjoy dub content, similar issues occur in Northern European countries.
    Setanta Sports also relies on UK sports, but also invests in supporting local and international sporting events and the recently launched Irish TV is a nationalists dream. One major difference between UTV Ireland and the broadcasters mentioned is their continued efforts to invest and nurture Irish programming despite what might be seen at times as an overreliance on imports from the UK and other territories.

UTV is only reliant on ITV programming. Whatever about simu-casting GMB it failed totally to pick up any TV series out side of ITV programming, with odd film as an exception!

I agree, UTV is not a newcomer. Even in its on intial announment it pointed to it experience for 50 years and as a well known brand in ROI. While I might say that they should focus on quality Irish Prime Time programming, but again it failed insure programming outside of their ITV rights (some other UK distributors of ITV programming I include).

I don't think it is good PR for UTV Ireland at all. UTV have shown that they failed to take time to understand Irish viewers. Irish viewers want quality English and American programming, mixed with our own programming. Lack of American and Irish programming will kill the station, and it will remain a choice channel rather than being able to build an audience close to RTÉ ONE's or even a contender. I beleive many viewers because of decision made by UTV and TV3 will look to get ITV/STV/UTV from other sourses. This is not good for either channel.

Though most of that programming is split between both TV3/UTV so people have little to complain about. It launch the channel because UTV was not avaiable on other platforms, and had dropped from 10% share of the audience to 3% in 10 years and was continuing to loss its audience.

Ireland mainstream TV is overcrowded with 3 channels. Irish channels account for just 45% share of the audience with 55% looking to English TV. With the current policy across channels this will continue erode into the future, and I am just talking about Live TV.

Why are TV3 clever when they have let Red Rock sink into a deep hole because of bad programming choices.

I agree, it will be interesting to see how long TV3's news audience will last. Why move LLL to 7pm why not The 12:30?

I haven't watched Midday in a while but its largely pap and an insult to feminism. Though Loose Women doesn't help feminism either.

UTV were never going to break free from ITV, they know they can get high audiences with Coro St and Emmers. The other programmes are just extras to that plan IMO.

UTV NI's local content was never good. No matter how cheep and chearful I think of TV3's local content it must be more welcome than its northern counterpart. By the way most of the posters on this thread did point this out that UTV NI did very little for Northern Ireland, ever now and then I sarcastically mention that UPC audience will be disappoint when UTV loses Northern Irish Soccer both at club level and international level, and all their other Northern Irish sports. Regardless of the political divide surely many in the north should be angry at their most watch TV station.

I love get a quote from someone in the BAI who has said the golden age of Irish TV, IMO that was from '02 to '08 and we were lucky to get Love/Hate after that period. Currently we are living in an era of more is better. I'd rather see a quality Documentry on Feminism in Ireland on TV3 than 5 hour long chit-chat from Media types, which tends to be badly researched.

50% target is just madness from TV3. They'd be better off looking at 100% quality TV in prime time.

TV3 has a role and I appreciate its new found love of everything Irish but Quality over quanity.

UTV NI fails to straddle both Irish and British English identities in NI and why would they change in RoI.

When I start seeing Scottish and Welsh TV on British TV I start using the word British, we watch English TV.

Advertisement