Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The ITV Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭endakenny

iseegirls wrote: »
    TV3 had a lot more home produced programmes back in 1998 than what UTVi have on now. An hour of news at 6, news tonight, sports tonight, weekend news, the week in review, 2 hour music show Pop On 3, The Pepsi Chart Show, quiz show A Game Of Two Halves, daytime debate with Speakeasy, travel series Messrs Tylak And Rooney, children's section called Gimme 3.

Comparisons between 3e and UTVi is unfair. Both have completely different budgets set. 3e is run on a shoestring, and will never have money to splash out on lot of homemade programming. However it is a channel that has a good share of tv viewing.
    But TV3 didn't bother to make itself available on most of the analogue relays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Ban me if that is how you wish.... please keep in mind as a citizen of the Republic of Ireland my opinions whether you agree with them are not are enshrined by the State's Constitution please see freedom of expression of opinions article 40.6.1º
    also as a citizen of the European Union - Article 10 of the European Convention on Human Rights provides the right to freedom of expression and information, subject to certain restrictions that are "in accordance with law" and "necessary in a democratic society". This right includes the freedom to hold opinions, and to receive and impart information and ideas.

I do not think it is appropriate for any forum to value some people's arguments as more worthy then others, the internet is an open democracy and like most people I value feedback without being censored, but I guess holding such an opinion one would receive an automatic ban.

https://wordpress.com/

Did anybody watch GMB on UTV Ireland this morning? What with the usual morning rush I forgot all about it. Was there any mention of the UTV Ireland viewers joining them? Was there any UTV I new opt outs on the programme?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭iseegirls

zorro2566 wrote: »
    Did anybody watch GMB on UTV Ireland this morning? What with the usual morning rush I forgot all about it. Was there any mention of the UTV Ireland viewers joining them? Was there any UTV I new opt outs on the programme?

From looking at another forum, they welcomed Irish viewers at around 6.02am, and they included the Irish weather too. Don't know what they replaced the local news with though.

From looking at another forum, they welcomed Irish viewers at around 6.02am, and they included the Irish weather too. Don't know what they replaced the local news with though.

What forum was that on?

• Advertisement

zorro2566 wrote: »
    What forum was that on?

DigitalSpy

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

I didn't see it, but they are showing prerecorded Ireland Live news bulletins. Apparently at least one didn't fill the entire regional news slot and we were treated to the musical interlude that goes out on the network feed during the regional news.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Woodie40

icdg wrote: »
    I didn't see it, but they are showing prerecorded Ireland Live news bulletins. Apparently at least one didn't fill the entire regional news slot and we were treated to the musical interlude that goes out on the network feed during the regional news.

So we have become a region.................

Sounds like it's been done really amateurish so. First day I suppose, but UTV Media should know exactly how long these bulletins last.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Flip Flop

I tuned in just before 8 when Ben Shepherd introduced the Weather for the UK and Ireland. They included weather and temperature icons over Ireland for the first time and the weather presenter mentioned rain coming in to the west of Ireland. Then after 8 Susanah Reid said "and a warm welcome to UTV Ireland viewers who are joining us from today onwards". After Kate Garaway had read the UK news, Reid introduced the "news from where you are", and they cut to the UTV Ireland bulletin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 InsideM25

Woodie40 wrote: »

As someone who grew in Co. Cork we dreamed of being a region from D4 media !
    On a serious note I caught the last hour of GMB this morning on ITV London ( which BTW is also a region ) and then had a quick flick through on the show on ITV player .
    At the top of each hour they welcomed viewers from UTV Ireland who were joining the show from today and they introduced the " regional news " by saying " now the news , travel and Weather where you are " and the main weather forecast was introduced as the weather for Britain & Ireland and there was Dublin , Cork and Limerick with clouds etc on the map.
    TBH I do not think they could have done much more for a show that is not really aimed at ROI , and it's only day one.
    Personally I prefer to watch BBC Breakfast news for the 20 minutes or so I have when I am on a working day but each to his own .

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

It is never described that way on air now, in deference to Scotland where that description would go down equally badly. For the same reason the BBC's operations in Scotland, Wales and NI are formally known as "Nations" rather than "Regions".

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭irishmusicfeed

It is never described that way on air now, in deference to Scotland where that description would go down equally badly. For the same reason the BBC's operations in Scotland, Wales and NI are formally known as "Nations" rather than "Regions".

Regardless, still having Ireland on a UK breakfast show is unnecessary... we are neither a region or a home nation etc etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Souriau

UTV Ireland news was transmitted during GMB at 06:12, 07:12 and 08:08
    First two look similar while the 08:08 is different with report of Aer Lingus takeover bid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 chasingdragons

I must say that I am really excited to see 'our' education secretary Nicky Morgan faces grilling in relation to her times tables... oh wait is this Ireland or the UK because I thought Jan O'Sullivan was our Education Minister hmmm don't remember voting for Moragn... this is Ireland right?

I must say that I am really excited to see 'our' education secretary Nicky Morgan faces grilling in relation to her times tables... oh wait is this Ireland or the UK because I thought Jan O'Sullivan was our Education Minister hmmm don't remember voting for Moragn... this is Ireland right?

I think UTV Ireland needs some grilling in relation to geography and politics...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭radiowaves

this is Ireland right?

Why, are you confused? :rolleyes:

Do you really need the TV to treat you like a 2 year old and keep reminding you where you are and what you're watching? The sjow is called Good Morning Britain so why can't you work out which poilitician they are referring to ;)

I'm still waiting for somebody to tell me why it is preferable to have Teleshopping at that time on instead of a reasonably entertaining breakfast show.

Oh, I see you are not only confused about where you are but who you are - quoting and replying to yourself, you gave the game away a little there :D

radiowaves wrote: »
    Why, are you confused?

Do you really need the TV to treat you like a 2 year old and keep reminding you where you are and what you're watching? ;)

I'm still waiting for somebody to tell me why it is preferable to have Teleshopping at that time on instead of a reasonably entertaining breakfast show.

Oh, I see you are not only confused about where you are but who you are - quoting and replying to yourself, you gave the game away a little there :D

wow only joined this forum didn't mean to upset anyone... new here... really glad there's such a warm welcome. :rolleyes:

wow only joined this forum didn't mean to upset anyone... new here... really glad there's such a warm welcome. :rolleyes:

You're welcome ;)

Who have you upset btw? Not me, for sure. I'm finding the ranting about this programme childish and amusing to be honest, nothing more.

And "joining" a forum just to make the post you did? As I said, you gave the game away by forgetting to logout and log back in when you quoted and replied to yourself :rolleyes:

You're welcome ;)

Who have you upset btw? Not me, for sure. I'm finding the ranting about this programme childish and amusing to be honest, nothing more.

And "joining" a forum just to make the post you did? As I said, you gave the game away by forgetting to logout and log back in when you quoted and replied to yourself :rolleyes:

Childish opinions should be heard too, no!?, or do we follow the British stance "Children should be seen and not heard" GMB must be really rubbing off ;)

• Advertisement

Childish opinions should be heard too, no!?, or do we follow the British stance "Children should be seen and not heard" GMB must be really rubbing off ;)

You admit you're being childish.

:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

It's a regional news slot in the UK filled with Irish national news.

Maybe you should speak to people in Northern Ireland, Scotland, Wales, the Isle of Man, Jersey and Guernsey as they seem to manage to follow what's going on, given then Nicky Morgan isn't their education secretary either.

Richard wrote: »
    Maybe you should speak to people in Northern Ireland, Scotland, Wales, the Isle of Man, Jersey and Guernsey as they seem to managed to follow what's going on, given then Nicky Morgan isn't their education secretary either.

All very true Richard, but all those ''countries'' mentioned are part of the UK. So there's really no discussion on the issue.

Pre-recorded when? The night before? Surely there's rules about that sort of thing? Or pre-recorded in the morning in Belfast?

All very true Richard, but all those ''countries'' mentioned are part of the UK. So there's really no discussion on the issue.

His point was they are not confused about what part of the world they live in ;)

The Isle of Man and Channel Islands aren't. They don't even have any MPs at Westminster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,217 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Maybe you should speak to people in Northern Ireland, Scotland, Wales, the Isle of Man, Jersey and Guernsey as they seem to managed to follow what's going on, given then Nicky Morgan isn't their education secretary either.

They are all the UK, Ireland is not the UK. They all use English pounds (They are accepted in all them places, although some may issue their own variation of pounds). They are all (partly) governed by England. Ireland is seperate from the UK, is completely governed from Dublin (A cycnic may say its governed in Europe now) and dont use pounds. Why should we be treated the same as the other British territories?

Pre-recorded when? The night before? Surely there's rules about that sort of thing? Or pre-recorded in the morning in Belfast?

Pre-recorded from Dublin I caught the first Irish bulletin, it was very short and sweet and was definitely shorter than the regional broadcasts from around the UK.

• Advertisement

His point was they are not confused about what part of the world they live in ;)

Why would they ever be confused despite their repressed nationalism they are all collectively part of the UK and culturally British. I think the Scottish Referendum settled people's allegiances etc.

I don't actually have a problem with GMB on TV, but on an 'Irish' channel it seems strange, but then again things considered 'strange' eventually become normalized overtime...

Advertisement