Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The ITV Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,799 ✭✭✭lertsnim

How funny is it that on the UTV-Ireland Saorview EPG we have "GMB" yet when I switch over to UTV on Freeview it's on the EPG as "Good Morning Britain"!

UTV are a laugh! :-)

It is purely to protect the sensitive souls that see Good Morning Britain on Irish TV as some kind of return to the Empire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭iseegirls

icdg wrote: »
    Interesting that UTV NI is still scoring so highly despite only not being on any EPG - the same as E4, which has prominent position on both Sky and UPC.

(Even more intesting is how high Sky Sports News rates - higher than any non-terrestrial except for Sky Sports 1)

It's only high due to the 2 soaps. If E4 had exclusive rights to the soaps in Ireland, then they'd be high too.

Great number for Sky Sports News. Always thought Sky News would be higher than it. I'd say the share between 3-5 on a Saturday must be the highest share across the week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 392 ✭✭Hibrasil

They should rename it 'Good Morning British Isles' and then there'd be no fuss.
    Good Morning Emerald and Sceptred Isles would be a little more appropriate than Good Morning British isles:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭Infoanon

greendom wrote: »
    plenty - PVRs have revolutionised how people watch tv. I imagine the vast majority of people with these devices would switch.

I wouldn't agree,anecdotal evidence suggests that Sky viewers have continued to watch UTV NI via other channels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Infoanon wrote: »
    I wouldn't agree,anecdotal evidence suggests that Sky viewers have continued to watch UTV NI via other channels.

not going by my anecdotal evidence !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,436 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Thats a very good point - Sky viewers would have little or no reason to press 116 when they are use to watching UTV HD on other channels imho.

Other than all Sky+ features and chances of flicking on to the channel when channel hopping. Which will probably get nearly everybody anyway.

Also, many people haven't got a notion about Other Channels or forget its there / forget how to use it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭iseegirls

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

galtee boy wrote: »
    What channels make up " Other", that's a huge audience share, 39% ?

Some sell advertising into the irish market are not listed.

Monthly list yet to come.

But just 43% watching Irish TV channels is bad.

Nearly 1% still watching UTV according to that list.

iseegirls wrote: »

It flopped in the UK. It was never going to be a success here. It's another lesson for UTV. They have spectacularly gotten it wrong in this country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭Infoanon

L1011 wrote: »
    Other than all Sky+ features and chances of flicking on to the channel when channel hopping. Which will probably get nearly everybody anyway.

Also, many people haven't got a notion about Other Channels or forget its there / forget how to use it.

A lot of people seem to be able to find Channel 5 for CBB as an example, tuning and showing viewers how to use other channels is part of a standard Sky installation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,217 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

iseegirls wrote: »

Hahahah. They were stupid to think this would work anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭MarkK

icdg wrote: »
    Interesting that UTV NI is still scoring so highly despite only not being on any EPG

It is on the EPG if you get Freeview overspill or have a Freesat box with a NI postcode.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Woodie40

Elmo wrote: »
    Some sell advertising into the irish market are not listed.

Monthly list yet to come.

But just 43% watching Irish TV channels is bad.

Nearly 1% still watching UTV according to that list.

Sorry if slightly off topic. How are ratings gauged in Ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Woodie40 wrote: »
    Sorry if slightly off topic. How are ratings gauged in Ireland?

Nielsen compile them for TAM Ireland, published every week in TV Now, market share can be viewed on TG4 website

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Woodie40

Nielsen compile them for TAM Ireland, published every week in TV Now, market share can be viewed on TG4 website

Excuse my stupidity, but how do they know who is watching what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭craoltoir

From the TAMIreland website:
    Nielsen TAM gather information about Irish television viewing from a nationally representative panel of 1,050 homes. This equates to approximately 2,500 panel members every day. They measure viewing on every set within each panel home. Since September 2010, Nielsen TAM have also been measuring time-shifted viewing (TSV). Time-shifted viewing that takes place within 7 days of the original broadcast is included in audience ratings.

www.tamireland.ie

Woodie40 wrote: »
    Excuse my stupidity, but how do they know who is watching what?

It's basically a panel of 1000. Research. It is the same method used in the UK and across the world. I say UK because I know people like t know that we follow them and it verifies that our stats are good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

craoltoir wrote: »
    From the TAMIreland website:

www.tamireland.ie

interesting, are there stats on how much tv is "time-shifted".

• Registered Users Posts: 6 InsideM25

In this day and age it must be almost impossible now to measure viewing habits.
    People watch TV on phones, tablets, laptops XBoxes , Netflix you name it.
    The idea of a family unit sitting down at one TV is a bit outdated now.

InsideM25 wrote: »
    In this day and age it must be almost impossible now to measure viewing habits.
    People watch TV on phones, tablets, laptops XBoxes , Netflix you name it.
    The idea of a family unit sitting down at one TV is a bit outdated now.

True bt lets face it no one ever measure people watching on VHS or DVD.
    Or doing somthing other than watching the box like XBox, Playstation etc heading to the pub.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Souriau

Just notice UTV Ireland audio change on Saorview

from
    Stream Type: 0x03 MPEG-1 Audio PID 2203 (0x089b)
    MPEG1 Audio: Bitrate 192 Kbps Sample Rate 48 KHz
    MPEG1 Audio: Layer II Mode Stereo

to
    MPEG1 Audio: Bitrate 48 Kbps Sample Rate 44.1 KHz
    MPEG1 Audio: Layer III Mode Dual Channel

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

ITV News and Weather again on the sky EPG for UTVI @ 10:20pm.

I presume it's another mistake?? .. If it is what the hell are they playing at..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

irishfeen wrote: »

I presume it's another mistake?? .. If it is what the hell are they playing at..

It's also on the sky+app

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭endakenny

irishfeen wrote: »

It's obvious that it's a mistake because, on UTV (NI), the film that is being shown after the news starts at 10:35. The film on UTV Ireland starts at 10:25.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 feez

Sounds like 2rn messing with things
    Souriau wrote: »
    Just notice UTV Ireland audio change on Saorview

from
    MPEG1 Audio: Bitrate 192 Kbps Sample Rate 48 KHz
    MPEG1 Audio: Layer II Mode Stereo

to
    MPEG1 Audio: Bitrate 48 Kbps Sample Rate 44.1 KHz
    MPEG1 Audio: Layer III Mode Dual Channel

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

They have been messing with the signal for some time. I do not know what their game is.

They have been transmitting headers for 38 phantom channels for no apparent reason. They have been transmitting two HD test cards and an SD test card for some time. Currently the are broadcasting two versions of RTE 1+1, but curiously only one version of RTEJr even though it is a co-channel with one of the RTE 1+1.

They are also broadcasting the SSU data channels in a way that grabs position one on my TV such that I cannot move it.

They have altered the series link such that it no longer works for non-Saorview PVRs.

Definitely trying to mess up non-Saorview TVs and STBs.

They'll have try harder if that's their plan

It's like they took the kit out of the box and don't know how to config it properly.
    Agree with you re. them trying to push Saorview branded stuff.
    Picture quality is sub-standard HD and SD anyway which is my biggest problem.
    They have been messing with the signal for some time. I do not know what their game is.

They have been transmitting headers for 38 phantom channels for no apparent reason. They have been transmitting two HD test cards and an SD test card for some time. Currently the are broadcasting two versions of RTE 1+1, but curiously only one version of RTEJr even though it is a co-channel with one of the RTE 1+1.

They are also broadcasting the SSU data channels in a way that grabs position one on my TV such that I cannot move it.

They have altered the series link such that it no longer works for non-Saorview PVRs.

Definitely trying to mess up non-Saorview TVs and STBs.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

feez wrote: »
    It's like they took the kit out of the box and don't know how to config it properly.
    Agree with you re. them trying to push Saorview branded stuff.
    Picture quality is sub-standard HD and SD anyway which is my biggest problem.

It is not as if they could not up the quality of SD and HD with what they currently have signed. SD should be 720 by 576 and HD should be 1920 by 1080.

• Advertisement

It is not as if they could not up the quality of SD and HD with what they currently have signed. SD should be 720 by 576 and HD should be 1920 by 1080.

Exactly, H.264 is designed for full resolution HD, that's how it performs best. Majority of SD services on Sky are 720x576 MPEG2. Reducing SD to 544x576 is for low bit rate MPEG2 to minimise mosquito artefacts. Does not work well in H.264 hence the soft muddy crap we see on Saorview.

Advertisement