Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The ITV Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Sideshow Mark

No Irish "regional news" on GMB AT 8.10 this morning. I'd say so few are watching they decided not to bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Susandublin

Anybody know the stats viewers? Looks like Tv3 of old - would be interested to see viewers for Tv3 now too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭iseegirls

No Irish "regional news" on GMB AT 8.10 this morning. I'd say so few are watching they decided not to bother.

What have they shown instead?

I notice in some TV guides next week that it's called GMB With Ireland Live Updates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭Infoanon

There was regional news when I viewed it this morning !

I had noticed an additional DOG on the UTVNI news opt out and switched to UTVIRL to see what DOG they had.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Mallagio

Got a feeling these are going to need some decent sports rights on top of the soaps they have to keep them above the water.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 CorkMartin

They had an Irish bulletin at 7.10am, I watched it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Mallagio wrote: »
    Got a feeling these are going to need some decent sports rights on top of the soaps they have to keep them above the water.

Pretty much everything that they might have had the pockets to bid for - GAA, Pro 12, League of Ireland, Republic of Ireland friendlies - is now tied up till 2017/2018.

The one big contract coming up is the Premier League 3pms, which they could put in a bid for, though Id expect Setanta to be heavy favourites to retain. Even if they won that It wouldn't kick in until August 2016.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Sideshow Mark

CorkMartin wrote: »
    They had an Irish bulletin at 7.10am, I watched it.

Good to know they haven't dropped it. At 8.10 they just had the Good Morning Britain logo on screen with the music bed playing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

icdg wrote: »
    Pretty much everything that they might have had the pockets to bid for - GAA, Pro 12, League of Ireland, Republic of Ireland friendlies - is now tied up till 2017/2018.

The one big contract coming up is the Premier League 3pms, which they could put in a bid for, though Id expect Setanta to be heavy favourites to retain. Even if they won that It wouldn't kick in until August 2016.

All of which they had a chance to bid for in 2014. Perhaps they should think of minority sports as TG4 have done with some success. Perhaps becoming sponsors of Camogie All Irelands, Hockey, Cricket, Triathlon etc.

Last weeks ratings

1 Coronation Street 403
    2 Coronation Street 388
    3 Coronation Street 349
    4 Coronation Street 334
    5 Coronation Street 309
    6 Emmerdale 273
    7 Emmerdale 269
    8 Emmerdale 268
    9 Emmerdale 268
    10 Emmerdale 254
    11 Emmerdale 244
    12 James Nesbitt's Ireland 140
    13 Rare Breed: A Farming Year 132
    14 Doc Martin 110
    15 Surprise Surprise 102
    16 Birds Of A Feather 96
    17 Deirdre And Me: A Tribute 95
    18 Bendidorm 70
    19 Midsomer Murders 69
    20 The Kyle Files 62

Elmo wrote: »
    All of which they had a chance to bid for in 2014

Their 1/1/15 start date (dictated by when the ITV deal started) took them out of the running for most of these contracts, which began in mid-2014.

. Perhaps they should think of minority sports as TG4 have done with some success. Perhaps becoming sponsors of Camogie All Irelands, Hockey, Cricket, Triathlon etc.
    Big difference between publically funded TG4 doing that and fully commercial UTV doing that - UTV will only go for programming that will generate ratings.

• Advertisement

Their 1/1/15 start date (dictated by when the ITV deal started) took them out of the running for most of these contracts, which began in mid-2014.

Big difference between publically funded TG4 doing that and fully commercial UTV doing that - UTV will only go for programming that will generate ratings.

Some but not all began before UTVs start date. A number could have bid for in 2014.

TG4 have brought to TV these sports at low cost almost all get over 100,000 viewers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Some but not all began before UTVs start date. A number could have bid for in 2014.

TG4 have brought to TV these sports at low cost almost all get over 100,000 viewers.

And, if women's football can gain an audience even in Irish, it's surprising no broadcaster has touched camogie apart from the final. The interest is growing in the Irish cricket team, but Sky usually have a monopoly on their ODIs - qualifiers an option, perhaps?

Just wondering if UTV Ireland should carry that news story from Co. Fermanagh or is it just too boring for some?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Just wondering if UTV Ireland should carry that news story from Co. Fermanagh or is it just too boring for some?

Not meaning to trivalise such things, but murders/deaths will always be of interest - local radio thrives on death notices.

Not meaning to trivalise such things, but murders/deaths will always be of interest - local radio thrives on death notices.

Indeed but the point remains its a story about a different jurisdiction and really why should an Irish broadcaster report on stuff up there? Clearly I am trivializing the number of times people on boards have complained that Irish broadcasters spend on issues in the North.

I haven't seen the story concerned. Whatever about UTV Ireland, RTE and TG4 are required by law to report on Northern Ireland. While there's no such requirement on UTV Ireland (or indeed, for them to provide news at all) they have full access to anything produced for UTV Live if they do wish to do so.

I haven't seen the story concerned. Whatever about UTV Ireland, RTE and TG4 are required by law to report on Northern Ireland. While there's no such requirement on UTV Ireland (or indeed, for them to provide news at all) they have full access to anything produced for UTV Live if they do wish to do so.

http://utv.ie/News/2015/02/11/Man-dead-after-shooting-at-wedding-31490

I am just trying to figure this disregard from news north of the boarder indeed I'd say on this thread there was as much discussion about them hopefully not providing news from the north as there was people wondering if they will show English Soccer, ITN and then the whole thing about GMB!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭MarkK

Indeed but the point remains its a story about a different jurisdiction and really why should an Irish broadcaster report on stuff up there?

According to RTE "The wedding party and guests had travelled from Longford and Dublin."

I would say an incident such as this in Fermanagh is of more interest to people in Donegal, Leitrim, Cavan and Monaghan than a similar incident in Wexford or Kerry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,799 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Indeed but the point remains its a story about a different jurisdiction and really why should an Irish broadcaster report on stuff up there? Clearly I am trivializing the number of times people on boards have complained that Irish broadcasters spend on issues in the North.

Why did the Irish news report on the Garda who was shot in the States last week? Because he was from this country and it is of interest to people here. No different to what happened in Fermanagh

lertsnim wrote: »
    Why did the Irish news report on the Garda who was shot in the States last week? Because he was from this country and it is of interest to people here. No different to what happened in Fermanagh

How about the Boy Stabbed in Enniskillen? Why was that reported on?

The arguement not to have Northern Irish news on "Irish TV" is just daft. The close proximity, the same language, much of the same culture. To avoid comparing both jurisdictions is just daft, both parts of the Island work together to grab invests, to improve heath care. A population on a Island of 6million should work together and know each other.

Instead we are worried weather or not UTV Ireland will carry English Soccer. And to take it further no mention of the fact that UTV NI has never really supported its own sports at home. When it comes to world cup qualifiers or euro qualifiers we have to be mature and support England and if RoI are not in the WC and NI and England are, who is supporting NI? no no be mature support the English team. Same goes for Cricket, its not an "English" sport be more mature, while in Scotland well they couldn't give a flying ****.

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Charles Slane

Report on The Journal regarding UTV Ireland's viewing figures -

"Lots of people are watching UTV Ireland’s big soaps. Not so much the rest…"

http://businessetc.thejournal.ie/utv-ireland-viewer-numbers-1935136-Feb2015/

Report on The Journal regarding UTV Ireland's viewing figures -

"Lots of people are watching UTV Ireland’s big soaps. Not so much the rest…"

http://businessetc.thejournal.ie/utv-ireland-viewer-numbers-1935136-Feb2015/

Sure you could have said the same thing about TV3 :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 303 ✭✭deanh

funny how the people complaining about news stories from Northern Ireland are the same as are complaining about UTVNI being removed from UPC. I am enjoying UTV Ireland. It is a breath of fresh air to see news presenters who can read an autocue without error something TV3 (especially Vin B) never managed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,217 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

deanh wrote: »
    funny how the people complaining about news stories from Northern Ireland are the same as are complaining about UTVNI being removed from UPC. I am enjoying UTV Ireland. It is a breath of fresh air to see news presenters who can read an autocue without error something TV3 (especially Vin B) never managed.

At least Vincent sound and appears to be alive, rather than them robots on UTV. I think UTV have made a massive mistake in their approach to the irish market, and they are approaching the door unless they get their act together.

Carnacalla wrote: »
    At least Vincent sound and appears to be alive, rather than them robots on UTV. I think UTV have made a massive mistake in their approach to the irish market, and they are approaching the door unless they get their act together.

The viewing figures tell a different story,TV3 have taken a heavy hit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Infoanon wrote: »
    The viewing figures tell a different story,TV3 have taken a heavy hit.

They've taken an expected hit - they knew their share would drop after they lost the soaps.

However, they still remain the second most watched channel - and that's without the two big soaps, and is 2.5% higher than UTV Ireland.

iseegirls wrote: »
    They've taken an expected hit - they knew their share would drop after they lost the soaps.

However, they still remain the second most watched channel - and that's without the two big soaps, and is 2.5% higher than UTV Ireland.

Which is not bad for a new station, more importantly advertisers will focus on the 597,000 watching UTV Ireland to watch Coronation Street.

The notion that UTV Ireland will close anytime soon is farcical.

Neither are doing well

TV3's audience will begin to erode further as it has little holding it up.

UTV will see further increases but nothing like what they suggested.

Instead we are worried weather or not UTV Ireland will carry English Soccer. And to take it further no mention of the fact that UTV NI has never really supported its own sports at home. When it comes to world cup qualifiers or euro qualifiers we have to be mature and support England and if RoI are not in the WC and NI and England are, who is supporting NI? no no be mature support the English team. Same goes for Cricket, its not an "English" sport be more mature, while in Scotland well they couldn't give a flying ****.

:)

Phew no need to worry about coverage of the cricket World Cup UTV showing highlights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭mike2084

Phew no need to worry about coverage of the cricket World Cup UTV showing highlights.

It's a start for them in regard to sport, and they had to start somewhere. Don't forget cricket is a lot more understood and watched in Ireland than some might think.

Advertisement