Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The ITV Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Elmo wrote: »
    Phew no need to worry about coverage of the cricket World Cup UTV showing highlights.

Its nothing short of a disgrace that our national public broadcaster,RTE, is not showing the highlights of Ireland's Cricketing teams world cup adventures.

UTV Ireland have to be congratulated for showing the Irish team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,799 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Infoanon wrote: »
    Its nothing short of a disgrace that our national public broadcaster,RTE, is not showing the highlights of Ireland's Cricketing teams world cup adventures.

Someone is showing it but still people feel the need to get a dig in. Similar to when RTE didn't show womens boxing and TG4 did. Do they say the same in the UK about the BBC not showing highlights? I doubt it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭Infoanon

lertsnim wrote: »
    Someone is showing it but still people feel the need to get a dig in. Similar to when RTE didn't show womens boxing and TG4 did. Do they say the same in the UK about the BBC not showing highlights? I doubt it.

RTE deserve criticism over their sports coverage,the notion of taking a dig at UTV Ireland for showing highlights of what is the countries 4th most popular sport is ludicrous.

RTE deserve criticism over their sports coverage,the notion of taking a dig at UTV Ireland for showing highlights of what is the countries 4th most popular sport is ludicrous.

I was referring to the dig you were taking at RTE for not showing highlights when somebody else holds the rights. I applaud UTV Ireland for showing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Absolutely hate cricket but fair used to UTV in securing rights - great to see sport is in their thinking going forward!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭doc11

Cricket, fourth most popular sport in Ireland? By what metric?

What sports rights do you think rte should have and who do you think would watch? examples?

The league of ireland weekly viewing figures were so bad it made more sense to actually pay the LOI not to show it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Cricket is not the 4th most popular sport in Ireland, I'd say that Basketball, Athletics, Swimming, Surfing, Boxing, Hockey, Snooker, Darts come before Cricket.

UTV have largely dropped all of their sports from UTV in Northern Ireland in the last 15 years, I am not sure how well they did in their previous 25 or more years on the air with sport from the Province.

There picking up of Highlights is akin to picking up Gillette World of Sports, unless they have an Irish panel of experts and commentators.
    doc11 wrote: »
    The league of ireland weekly viewing figures were so bad it made more sense to actually pay the LOI not to show it.

They never said or offered that to the FAI, Today FM gave Mr. Delaney a free ride on that show.

Is it only Ireland highlights that are being shown? That's a shame if true.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

I suspect the only reason utv are showing them is because ITV are showing world cup highlights. If some other UK station such as Five had them they wouldn't bother. 11pm is a bit late but at least those that don't have sky can see it. I doubt the audience will be more than a few thousand though.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭mike2084

it's looks like it's going to be a direct re-transmission of ITV1/4's highlights package. It'll be the same feed whatever channel it's on, the Cricket WC is one world feed for pictures and audio.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

lertsnim wrote: »
    Is it only Ireland highlights that are being shown? That's a shame if true.

During the group stages yes, they'll apparently pick up all the highlights shows from the QFs on.

Presumably, between picking up the rights for a song and being able to take ITV's coverage, its costing them little or nothing to do, will get them a bit of kudos from cricket fans (first Irish terrestrial channel ever to show cricket?) and fill late night airtime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Looks like they are mulling over moving the 6:30 news already. I think everybody can see this coming. Why they thought they could take on the beast that is Six One news is beyond me.

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/television/utv-ireland-may-switch-flagship-news-show-to-take-on-tv3-30992620.html

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

iseegirls wrote: »
    Looks like they are mulling over moving the 6:30 news already. I think everybody can see this coming. Why they thought they could take on the beast that is Six One news is beyond me.

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/television/utv-ireland-may-switch-flagship-news-show-to-take-on-tv3-30992620.html
    Poor decision from UTV to try take on RTÉ's flagship news but if they do change it to 5 or 5.30 then it shows they are learning from their mistakes.. TV3 are yet to realise moving VB to 10pm would do wonders and that's after about 5 years.

irishfeen wrote: »
    Poor decision from UTV to try take on RTÉ's flagship news but if they do change it to 5 or 5.30 then it shows they are learning from their mistakes.. TV3 are yet to realise moving VB to 10pm would do wonders and that's after about 5 years.

They need to move it to 8pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

To me the style of it is woeful.it thinks its RTE but comes nowhere near it in terms of a dull set and lifeless presenters who seem to be on autopilot. As bad as tv3 news at 530 is at least it does what it says on the tin- short sharp to the point and populist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Is there any reason aertel are still showing the old UTV listings on their main "whats on now & next" page 180 rather than UTV ireland?

You have to go to 177 to see UTV ireland, and wait for it to get around to the page.

rubadub wrote: »
    Is there any reason aertel are still showing the old UTV listings on their main "whats on now & next" page 180 rather than UTV ireland?

You have to go to 177 to see UTV ireland, and wait for it to get around to the page.

RTÉ aertel took ten years before putting tv listings of TV3 and TG4 next to RTÉ 1 & 2 doubt the have listings for RTÉjr

Though now & next seems redundant now.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Tedddy

There is no way cricket is anywhere near the 4th most popular sport in the Country. Rugby is the 4th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

rubadub wrote: »
    Is there any reason aertel are still showing the old UTV listings

What? Wait?
    You have Aertel Teletext?

Still!
    Only MHEG5 on my RTE.

Unbelievably, it's still going. Sky Digital and UPC analogue only now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 873 ✭✭✭More Music

What country are you talking about?

There's no way cricket is the 4th most popular sport in the land, ahead of horses, rugby and snooker etc. It might be the 4th most popular sport amoungst cricket players.

We might leave that discussion for one of the sports forums

icdg wrote: »
    We might leave that discussion for one of the sports forums

Sport is a major factor in terms of Broadcasting. To ignore as if it might be considered political just cannot happen.

UTV Ireland will need to provide some kind of live sports coverage, there fob to Cricket Ireland is simple that a fob, towards a minority sport, towards public service broadcasting and ultimately sports fans.

I don't mind talking about sport when it's in connection with broadcasting. But a thread "What's Ireland's 4th most popular sport", if that is what people want to discuss (!), doesn't belong here

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭kazoo106

The FM104 strawberry alarm clock ad still going out on UTV proper

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Bellerstring

The viewing figures tell a different story,TV3 have taken a heavy hit.
    AFAIK, The Champions League (PSG V Chelsea, tomorrow)is being shown on UTV, which also welcomes back Roy Keane into the fold for a spot of punditry.
    UTV Ireland will be showing Midsomer Murders.
    I reckon TV3 will reap the rewards here......

Not much UTV Ireland can do about that one - they don't have the rights (and neither will UTV once this season ends).

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Bellerstring

icdg wrote: »
    Not much UTV Ireland can do about that one - they don't have the rights (and neither will UTV once this season ends).
    They didn't have the rights to GMB at the start of January, but when they found that the people would rather have Suzanna Reid than Teleshopping, they quickly got them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭radiowaves

They didn't have the rights to GMB at the start of January, but when they found that the people would rather have Suzanna Reid than Teleshopping, they quickly got them.

Who held the Irish rights to Good Morning Britain?

You're showing an incredible naivete with regards to TV - and, in particular, sports - rights.

It's not just a question of UTV Ireland buying the rights to the Champions League if it suits them - negotiations for the rights to the Champions League are non-negotiable once completed.

Rights for games in Ireland are presently held by TV3 & Setanta Sports (and Sky Sports).

• Advertisement

Likelihood is that UTV had the rights to GMB all along, as part of its ITV Studios deal, and simply took a decision not to show it.

As Radiowaves says, the only way UTV Ireland could get the Irish rights to the Champions League games TV3 have is if TV3 went into liquidation tommorow. Even then, if UEFA felt it was too late in the rights period to rerun the tender, they'd likely just leave it vacant, which would give Setanta a free run on a Tuesday.

Advertisement