Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The ITV Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭iseegirls

piece in The Irish Times today: http://www.irishtimes.com/business/media-and-marketing/reheats-and-repeat-on-utv-ireland-elementary-my-dear-watson-1.2126120

I especially like this part:
    Certainly it has its news bulletins but trumpeting them is like an estate agent bragging that a suburban semi d has indoor plumbing – everyone expects a national TV station to have news coverage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

iseegirls wrote: »

I don't get this though
    The Doc Martin episode aired by UTV Ireland this week was originally shown on UTV in September 2013 and it is probably safe to assume anyone who wanted to see it already had.

Cowboy Builder's on TV3 is from Jan 2012 (Channel 5)
    The Pipe is from 2010 (TG4)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Is it me or is the Irish Times and other broadsheets giving UTVI an unfair doing? TV3 seem almost immune from criticism.

irishfeen wrote: »
    Is it me or is the Irish Times and other broadsheets giving UTVI an unfair doing? TV3 seem almost immune from criticism.

I'm sure TV3 got equally as much criticism in the press when they started broadcasting. UTVI are obviously going to be scrutinised a lot more heavily as they are the new channel in town.

I'm sure TV3 got equally as much criticism in the press when they started broadcasting. UTVI are obviously going to be scrutinised a lot more heavily as they are the new channel in town.
    I don't know but it really does seem excessive - they are only starting out.. They will aquire new rights as the months and years pass, they should be applauded for generating new jobs and at least trying to start something.

• Advertisement

I don't know but it really does seem excessive - they are only starting out.. They will aquire new rights as the months and years pass, they should be applauded for generating new jobs and at least trying to start something.

But they had at least 14 months to sort out rights to packages before they aired. They seem to be just content with using the ITV Studios package and spreading that across the schedule.

At least when TV3 started - there was a mix of programming - brand new US shows like Buffy, Charmed, Sex And The City, Early Edition, Just Shoot Me. Then there was some English shows like Jonathan Creek, Touching Evil, Eastenders, Birds Of A Feather and then their own homemade programmes including Euro 2000 qualifiers.

Happy that jobs have been created, but I'd rather they would try something new instead of rehashing the UTV schedule from 2012.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭radiowaves

But they had at least 14 months to sort out rights to packages before they aired. They seem to be just content with using the ITV Studios package and spreading that across the schedule.

At least when TV3 started - there was a mix of programming - brand new US shows like Buffy, Charmed, Sex And The City, Early Edition, Just Shoot Me. Then there was some English shows like Jonathan Creek, Touching Evil, Eastenders, Birds Of A Feather and then their own homemade programmes including Euro 2000 qualifiers.

Happy that jobs have been created, but I'd rather they would try something new instead of rehashing the UTV schedule from 2012.

Why does this keep coming back up.

That was the flippin' point of the channel!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Souriau

I have relative in west Ireland and they have only Saorview and they welcome another new Channel, like UTV Ireland, and they are enjoying the new channel.
    I am sure many are in the same boat, just Saorview, no Sky, UPC or Evision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭radiowaves

Souriau wrote: »
    I have relative in west Ireland and they have only Saorview and they welcome another new Channel, like UTV Ireland, and they are enjoying the new channel.
    I am sure many are in the same boat, just Saorview, no Sky, UPC or Evision.

A placement on the Sky EPG - not to be sniffed at - was also very much UTV's intention, probably their main intention.

You have to remember the vast majority of quality American shows have been moved away from terrestrial television to subscription broadcasters/on demand services - stuff like Game of Thrones, The Walking Dead, Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul etc. are just not available to FTA broadcasters... Sky Atlantics HBO deal was the end of terrestrial TV having major series rights.

Sky Sports/Setanta/BT have also taken almost every big sporting event from FTA TV too .. F1, Heineken Cup, Home friendly internationals etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 902 ✭✭✭twinklerunner

I don't think UTVI will be too bothered what the IT thinks of them. It's hardly their target audience.

I don't think UTVI will be too bothered what the IT thinks of them. It's hardly their target audience.

The soaps are mainly watched by viewers aged 45+. I presume this age group is more than likely going to read the broadsheets over the tabloids.

Took this from Digital Spy forums back in 2010, highlighting that a third of Emmerdale and Coronation Street's audience is over 65+:

Emmerdale:
    C4-15: 7% of its total audience
    A16-34: 12%
    A35-44: 11%
    A45-54: 18%
    A55-64: 19%
    A65+: 34%

Coronation Street
    A16-34: 15%
    A35-44: 12%
    A45-54: 17%
    A55-64: 17%
    A65+: 32%

I doubt that TV3's programming has its majority of viewers under 65

TV3 was very much heralded when it arrive purely for the simple fact it was competition it wasn't until 2001 when critics started to complain about its lack of Irish programming.

US programming maybe moving to On-Demand services but TV3 haven't really had a big American set of programmes since 2006. RTÉ's competition for US programming seems to now only come from On-Demand and Sky with some competition from TG4. For US programmes to work out on Irish TV Irish broadcasters must insure that they have rights to On-Demand for more than 4 weeks and that they are getting the series when broadcast in the US. e.g. I think RTÉ2 simucast CSI Cyber.

Both TV3 and UTV Ireland have the same problem. They are unable to grow their audience. And if they do grow it will only to take other Irish TV channel shares.

Is their anything on either of TV3's or UTV Ireland's on-demand services that people want to watch?

Also almost all of TV3's orginal line up was distributed by Fireworks a Canwest company https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fireworks_Entertainment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 902 ✭✭✭twinklerunner

The soaps are mainly watched by viewers aged 45+. I presume this age group is more than likely going to read the broadsheets over the tabloids.

Took this from Digital Spy forums back in 2010, highlighting that a third of Emmerdale and Coronation Street's audience is over 65+:

Emmerdale:
    A16-34: 12%
    A35-44: 11%
    A45-54: 18%
    A55-64: 19%
    A65+: 34%

Coronation Street
    A16-34: 15%
    A35-44: 12%
    A45-54: 17%
    A55-64: 17%
    A65+: 32%

That's not what I meant – just because someone is 45+ doesn't necessarily make them IT readers.
    From a random check of my work colleagues, those who watch the soaps are not IT readers, while IT readers are not soap viewers.
    My point was that I believe that the IT demographic is different to that of ITVI.

That's not what I meant – just because someone is 45+ doesn't necessarily make them IT readers.
    From a random check of my work colleagues, those who watch the soaps are not IT readers, while IT readers are not soap viewers.
    My point was that I believe that the IT demographic is different to that of ITVI.

I did say presume. I wasn't stating any facts regarding readerships of the IT and their viewing habits.

I just felt it was interesting to even see the demos of the two soaps in the UK. We don't have a similar breakdown in Ireland, and it would be impossible to see which of those viewers read IT. There will also be different demographics for the news they produce compared to the soaps.

However, any bad publicity for UTV Ireland is not good for their brand. It doesn't matter if it's in The Irish Times, or in The Mirror. For you to somehow shrug them off, and say they won't care about IT's 300,000+ readers is bit nonplus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Rick_

UTV Ireland now running a big on screen countdown advertising Ant & Dec, probably to let people know the TV 3 episodes are old repeats. Whether it makes a difference to this weeks ratings, who knows...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Mallagio

Paddy C wrote: »
    UTV Ireland now running a big on screen countdown advertising Ant & Dec, probably to let people know the TV 3 episodes are old repeats. Whether it makes a difference to this weeks ratings, who knows...?

It should be an increase for them, as them lads pull in serious numbers across in the UK.

Mallagio wrote: »
    It should be an increase for them, as them lads pull in serious numbers across in the UK.

Just because a TV show does well in Britain doesn't automatically translate to success in Ireland.

One repeat I am glad of is Benidorm, which they are showing from the start (series1) on Friday nights,as I didn't get into it until about series 4!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Mallagio

Elmo wrote: »
    Just because a TV show does well in Britain doesn't automatically translate to success in Ireland.

I'm not so sure I'd agree with that but we could argue that all day long and get nowhere.

Matter of opinion really ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Ant and Dec Saturday take away stage show was a sell out in the O2 - they are very popular in Ireland.

Most shows do transfer very well.

Plenty of weekend entertainment programmes that have never really been major hits for TV3 over the years, suppose it's a matter of opinion what is considered a major hit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭SPDUB

Paddy C wrote: »

They did that last week as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭doc11

Plenty of weekend entertainment programmes that have never really been major hits for TV3 over the years, suppose it's a matter of opinion what is considered a major hit.

Could you name me a few? the Xfactor and Britains Got Talent are huge rating winners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,217 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Another week, another dose of sh"tty programming from UTV.*

Will they ever get their act together?

*(Apart from Ant and Dec)

(Also, I understand people like corrie and emerdale, but besides them no-one watches anything else on UTV.)

doc11 wrote: »
    Could you name me a few? the Xfactor and Britains Got Talent are huge rating winners.

You've just named the 2 biggest ones named the rest, rarely got above 150,000 ant & dec prob the exception to the rule.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,799 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Carnacalla wrote: »

(Also, I understand people like corrie and emerdale, but besides them no-one watches anything else on UTV.)

I watched a few episodes of The Chase on it this week.

Carnacalla wrote: »

Benidorm!

• Advertisement

zorro2566 wrote: »
    Benidorm!

I think Benidorm struggled to get into the Top 20 ratings of the week in January.

Looking towards St Patrick's Day - seems like its business as usual for UTV Ireland - the news is the exact same length, and all normal programming throughout the day.

Advertisement