Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The ITV Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭doc11

iseegirls wrote: »
    I think Benidorm struggled to get into the Top 20 ratings of the week in January.

Looking towards St Patrick's Day - seems like its business as usual for UTV Ireland - the news is the exact same length, and all normal programming throughout the day.

What do you expect? A mass? Outside the Dublin parade there is little to show. The hour at 10/lreland live will provide more then adequate coverage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

doc11 wrote: »
    What do you expect? A mass? Outside the Dublin parade there is little to show. The hour at 10/lreland live will provide more then adequate coverage

make you right, tv coverage of any parade i have seen has been a bit pathetic, just presenters talking bullcrap. The news is adequate enough to show the highlights of the parade

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭iseegirls

doc11 wrote: »

I'd rather a schedule filled with special programmes or films, than the usual programming - especially in the daytime. It's our national holiday (being proud to be Irish etc...), yet you wouldn't know it from their schedule.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

I doubt you'll see anything special on TV3 either - as per their contract, their prime time schedule will be given over to the Champions League.

icdg wrote: »
    I doubt you'll see anything special on TV3 either - as per their contract, their prime time schedule will be given over to the Champions League.

Yep, I think they've extended their pre-coverage of it as well to start at 7pm. They do have a few films on during the day, and 3e have Michael Flatley, Brendan Grace and PS i Love You from 7pm.

Maybe it's just me, but I do like when TV schedules break away from the norm on Bank Holidays and release schedules featuring specials and films. Pretty much like when you're looking at Christmas TV Guide - when you have the highlighter at the ready. On other forums, people even have fantasy schedules of what BBC1 should be like for Good Friday etc.. and then there's pure disappointment when the schedule is released and the only change is a Pointless turning into a celeb version.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭radiowaves

Inside Guinness at 6pm and Brendan Grace after the football not "special" enough?

The full afternoon schedule from 1.30pm to 6pm is also green-tinted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

radiowaves wrote: »
    Inside Guinness at 6pm and Brendan Grace after the football not "special" enough?

The full afternoon schedule from 1.30pm to 6pm is also green-tinted.

Inside Guinness is a repeat and a documentary sponsored by Guinness for The Discovery Channel AFAIK.

Elmo wrote: »
    Inside Guinness is a repeat and a documentary sponsored by Guinness for The Discovery Channel AFAIK.

But it has more relevance to Ireland and St Patrick's Day (probably Guinness's biggest selling day of the year) than a 2hr Midsommer Murders and Richard Wilson driving around the British countryside.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭lacase

Regarding UTVI I watch it on Saorview. I have satellite and if I want to watch ITV1 I use that. I have noticed when watching the UTVI news and weather that the sound appears to be slightly out synch at times. So I have observed the situation where the news reader or weather person's lips don't match the audio. It looks like there is a few seconds lag between the audio and visual. None of the other Saorview or satellite channels have this problem. My wife has all observed and commented on the this as well. I was wondering has anyone else noticed?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 ciarandee1

on utv irelands sales website new video showing new shows that are comming eg. ninja warrior

• Advertisement

iseegirls wrote: »
    But it has more relevance to Ireland and St Patrick's Day (probably Guinness's biggest selling day of the year) than a 2hr Midsommer Murders and Richard Wilson driving around the British countryside.

True and we did say that is not like UTV do much in Northern Ireland, is there a bank holiday schedule for NI's paddy's day?

No, because its only a bank holiday in Northern Ireland, so obviously the ITV network schedule is as normal. In past years they did do a special programme on the Twelfth after News at Ten but I'm not sure they even do that now.

UTV Ireland are running a promo called "Bringing U Home" for St Patrick's Day though.

No, because its only a bank holiday in Northern Ireland, so obviously the ITV network schedule is as normal. In past years they did do a special programme on the Twelfth after News at Ten but I'm not sure they even do that now.

UTV Ireland are running a promo called "Bringing U Home" for St Patrick's Day though.

There was a time that the local ITV franchise would deviate from the ITV network Emmerdale in some regions didn't even get a prime time slot. No reason not to defer network programming for special occasions.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

There was a time that the local ITV franchise would deviate from the ITV network Emmerdale in some regions didn't even get a prime time slot. No reason not to defer network programming for special occasions.

Perhaps they do not think March 17th is special.

Perhaps they do not think March 17th is special.

Perhaps they don't think anything is special enough to break from the franchise core schedule unless ITV England and Wales break the schedule?

The problem is that if you defer network programmes you have to reschedule them sometime. It's more trouble than its worth and you don't get much kudos (and in fact get some abuse) for doing so. The only ITV franchise to do so in recent times was STV and they weren't doing it out of any concern for the Scottish viewing public but to use as a bargaining chip over how much they paid for the network schedule.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭A Disgrace

Well, they have decided to shoehorn ‘Felicia’s Journey’ into tomorrow’s Schedule, but that’s the sole mention of Paddy’s Day. By contrast, the other players are falling over themselves to get into the spirit

RTE 1 have ‘The Guard’ and ‘The Quiet Man’

RTE2 have the charming ‘Flight of the Doves’ and of course, ‘Darby O’Gill and the little People’

TG4 have ‘The Secret of Kells’

TV3 have ‘War of the Buttons’ and ‘Chasing Leprechauns’ (as well as an early morning showing of that non-Irish, but still amazing ‘Close Encounters of the Third Kind’)

And there are various other Irish themed shows, parade footage and specials across the above too. Meanwhile, UTVI have Midsummer Murders and a tour of the British countryside by Richard Wilson.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

UTVI is a waste of space
    there is nothing on it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 265 ✭✭brick man

Have to say I have not watched it either . there is nothing on it that would appeal to me . I am a news junkie but I watched 5 mins of their news offering one evening and it is very plain and flat no match for RTE so far

Big cock up tonight, the second ep of corrie wasn't shown on the sky planner so it didn't record, the rare breed was down as an hour long ep but apparently corrie was on at its usual 8.30 slot. Next Mondays listing is the same!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

zorro2566 wrote: »
    Big cock up tonight, the second ep of corrie wasn't shown on the sky planner so it didn't record, the rare breed was down as an hour long ep but apparently corrie was on at its usual 8.30 slot. Next Mondays listing is the same!

Same on UPC

And it's the same on Saorviews EPG for next Monday and TV now magazine as well bit of a mistake by UTVI

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

What the hell are UTVI playing at?? - No Ireland Live @ 10 per EPG... Some film

If they wanted to take on RTE seriously they would have had an hour programme tonight with reports from all parades around the country.

A Disgrace wrote: »
    TV3 have ‘War of the Buttons’ and ‘Chasing Leprechauns’ (as well as an early morning showing of that non-Irish, but still amazing ‘Close Encounters of the Third Kind’)

No that's the new name for Ireland AM, TV3 are going with honest names from now on

Ireland AM is to become Close Encounters of the Third Kind
    Midday is to be known as Driving Miss Daisy
    Xposé is to be known as The Heathers/Mean Girls
    The Seven O'Clock Show is to be known as Groundhog Day
    Tonight with Vincent Browne is to be known as Grumpy Old Men

Anyway.....

UTVi projected losses rise, they are apparently not generating the advertising revenue they projected.

http://m.rte.ie/news/business/2015/0318/687789-utv-media/

Really felt the loss of UTV NI last night with an issue plagued Champions League broadcast on TV3 between Monaco v Arsenal. Almost enough to drive one to satellite, though Setanta will be able to show the TV3 game next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Anyway.....

UTVi projected losses rise, they are apparently not generating the advertising revenue they projected.

http://m.rte.ie/news/business/2015/0318/687789-utv-media/

Really felt the loss of UTV NI last night with an issue plagued Champions League broadcast on TV3 between Monaco v Arsenal. Almost enough to drive one to satellite, though Setanta will be able to show the TV3 game next season.
    Will have to seriously look at trying to buy EPG slot 105 from TV3 .. 116 on sky means they are lost in a sea of other channels and programming.

Content is also a big issue, Rare Breed seems their only shining light as RTÉ news is just blowing them out the water at 6.30 every single night. They will have to move it to 5.00/5.30 in order to gain an audience. They are in bad need of that new Pat Kenny show starting - he is sure to attract viewers.

It will be interesting to see how hard UTVI will push RTÉ/TV3/Setanta over new rights deals as the come along - it will show us if they are in it for the long haul. Not winning Tuesday night CL games from TV3 was a big mistake.

Same on UPC

The Sky epg for next Monday has been corrected now!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

I think they are slowly realising that this whole concept is badly thought out and not as easy when for over 50 year people had access to UTV NI and its suddenly gone, abeit available on other channels on sky etc. I can honestly say I have not watched more than 2-3 minutes of a programme on UTVIrl such as the news just to see what its like. I watch UTVHD as a default and its very noticable in the 4pm slot that they dont have the rights to any of the shows which are not ITV studios produced, which seem to inhabit the 4pm slot.

It appears that they and tv3 will fight it out at 7-8% over the next few years, while RTE1 dominates their target (utvirl)over 45 audience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭galtee boy

Never thought I would say this, but I think TV3 has improved since UTVI came along, more home produced programming definitely. Some of the programmes may not be for everyone, but at least they are making an effort. Going HD in August will help big time too. UTVI has been a disappointment so far, but it is very early days, to be fair to them.

Advertisement