Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The ITV Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

galtee boy wrote: »
    Never thought I would say this, but I think TV3 has improved since UTVI came along, more home produced programming definitely. Some of the programmes may not be for everyone, but at least they are making an effort. Going HD in August will help big time too. UTVI has been a disappointment so far, but it is very early days, to be fair to them.

The problem for TV3 remains they have very little outside of there irish shows. Their imports are dire and their decision to move LLL to 7 is not work. What quality they have is surrounded by a sea of quantity.

UTV meanwhile have coro st and Emmers which would now work for TV3 had they not been so stupid to let them go, but then eircom did sell eircell!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Machinehead

Double post, sorry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Machinehead

galtee boy wrote: »
    Never thought I would say this, but I think TV3 has improved since UTVI came along, more home produced programming definitely. Some of the programmes may not be for everyone, but at least they are making an effort. Going HD in August will help big time too. UTVI has been a disappointment so far, but it is very early days, to be fair to them.

When & where was that announced as definite, is Saorview included?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭galtee boy

When & where was that announced as definite, is Saorview included?

Two weeks ago approx, when they launched their Rubgy World Cup coverage, they said TV3 HD would launch in August, I think they mentioned Sky and UPC, but no mention of Saorview.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,217 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

So UTV want to become the second most watched Irish channel? I admire their confidence, it wont work though. They have terrible terrible programming. They would be lucky to stay ahead of 3e the way they are going.

• Advertisement

Carnacalla wrote: »
    So UTV want to become the second most watched Irish channel? I admire their confidence, it wont work though. They have terrible terrible programming. They would be lucky to stay ahead of 3e the way they are going.

Well they've now stated they expect to loss more than originally expected from UTV Ireland.

RTÉ2, TV3 and UTV will all be lucky to stay ahead of 3e.

RTÉ2 - Sports
    TV3 - Daytime TV/Vincent Browne
    UTV Ireland - ITV Soaps

Merge the 3 and you might have competition for RTÉ ONE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

: Losses at UTV Ireland expected to be €8.35m via @RTENewsNow http://t.co/lYSy06F4F1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Carnacalla wrote: »

They are already the second most watched channel thanks to the Soaps.

It says a lot about the recent direction of RTE2 programming.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

I never knew 3e had such a big fan club....

The Pat Kenny show will have the unwieldy title "Pat Kenny in the Round" and be one hour long, with an audience and long format interviews, according to today's Times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 902 ✭✭✭twinklerunner

icdg wrote: »
    The Pat Kenny show will have the unwieldy title "Pat Kenny in the Round" and be one hour long, with an audience and long format interviews, according to today's Times.

What are the chances of TV3 digging out some old episodes of The Dunphy Show and putting them up against it in their schedule .. as per Ant & Dec!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

What are the chances of TV3 digging out some old episodes of The Dunphy Show and putting them up against it in their schedule .. as per Ant & Dec!
    the Ant and Dec thing almost fooled me the other Saturday, they mentioned mothers day being the next day, i thought i got my weeks mixed up lol
    stupid tv3 showing a repeat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Charles Slane

icdg wrote: »

"Pat Kenny in the Round"? Great! I'll have a large brandy!

My thoughts when I heard the title too...

Yeah the title is well how should I put it in the round ....

Ratings across the board terrible but UTV Ireland has drop to 40,000 viewers towards the end of their top 20!

1 Coronation Street 331
    2 Coronation Street 331
    3 Coronation Street 325
    4 Coronation Street 323
    5 Coronation Street 289
    6 Emmerdale 279
    7 Emmerdale 264
    8 Emmerdale 251
    9 Emmerdale 251
    10 Emmerdale 247
    11 Rare Breed: A Farming Year 160
    12 Paul & Nick's Big American Food Trip 130
    13 Ant & Dec's Saturday Night Takeaway 110
    14 The Chase 104
    15 Doc Martin 89
    16 Midsomer Murders 81
    17 Big Star's Little Star 74
    18 Lewis 67
    19 The Jonathan Ross Show 46
    20 Richard Wilson On The Road 40

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Elmo wrote: »
    Yeah the title is well how should I put it in the round ....

Ratings across the board terrible but UTV Ireland has drop to 40,000 viewers towards the end of their top 20!

1 Coronation Street 331
    2 Coronation Street 331
    3 Coronation Street 325
    4 Coronation Street 323
    5 Coronation Street 289
    6 Emmerdale 279
    7 Emmerdale 264
    8 Emmerdale 251
    9 Emmerdale 251
    10 Emmerdale 247
    11 Rare Breed: A Farming Year 160
    12 Paul & Nick's Big American Food Trip 130
    13 Ant & Dec's Saturday Night Takeaway 110
    14 The Chase 104
    15 Doc Martin 89
    16 Midsomer Murders 81
    17 Big Star's Little Star 74
    18 Lewis 67
    19 The Jonathan Ross Show 46
    20 Richard Wilson On The Road 40

From 12 up they will be very happy though ... surprised to see the American Food Trip and Rare Breed continuing to do so good... below that I agree - not good!

irishfeen wrote: »
    From 12 up they will be very happy though ... surprised to see the American Food Trip and Rare Breed continuing to do so good... below that I agree - not good!

Rare Breed and American Food Trip are sandwiched between Coronation Street, any of TV3's original programmes got around the same audience at 8 on Friday and Monday nights, EastEnders isn't as strong as either Coro St. If TV3 had started Red Rock this time last year 8pm Monday and Friday night would have been the best place to schedule it with an omnibus following on of the Weekend ITV shows. J curve.

Rare Breed and American Food Trip are sandwiched between Coronation Street, any of TV3's original programmes got around the same audience at 8 on Friday and Monday nights, EastEnders isn't as strong as either Coro St. If TV3 had started Red Rock this time last year 8pm Monday and Friday night would have been the best place to schedule it with an omnibus following on of the Weekend ITV shows. J curve.
    I presume though the strong figures for the ITV soaps will do them over the first few years until they build their channel up properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 ciarandee1

but compared to tv3 viewing figures they are doing well if tv3 lost all itv content and could not show repeats they would be doing much better

ciarandee1 wrote: »
    but compared to tv3 viewing figures they are doing well if tv3 lost all itv content and could not show repeats they would be doing much better

UTV Ireland have to be worried that every programme they air outside their top twenty gets less than 40,000 viewers. Even Emmerdale's Thursday Nights 8pm episode which went out against EastEnders.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 408 ✭✭NormanNicetouch

UTV Ireland have to be worried that every programme they air outside their top twenty gets less than 40,000 viewers. Even Emmerdale's Thursday Nights 8pm episode which went out against EastEnders.

Emmerdale had a one hour episode at 7pm. Don't forget that these figures are for live viewing only by age 15+ as they are produced mainly for the benefit of advertisers. They don't include catch up viewing, even if it is on the same day. The actual consolidated audience for all these programmes will be significantly higher and especially so for those programmes which attract a large number of under 15s.

ciarandee1 wrote: »
    Yep, TV3 are in big trouble if they lost all ITV programming including repeat content.

Yep, TV3 are in big trouble if they lost all ITV programming including repeat content.

well i think they only hold the rights until 2016, but don't know if t is the start middle or end.

well i think they only hold the rights until 2016, but don't know if it is the start middle or end.

Emmerdale had a one hour episode at 7pm. Don't forget that these figures are for live viewing only by age 15+ as they are produced mainly for the benefit of advertisers. They don't include catch up viewing, even if it is on the same day. The actual consolidated audience for all these programmes will be significantly higher and especially so for those programmes which attract a large number of under 15s.

Advertisers want +15 and live, tbh there are very few TV shows worth catching up on any of the irish on demand services.

I've had a look at the Sunday Times article Elmo mentioned in the TV3 thread. Here's a much more appropriate place to talk about it. Obviously we can't republish the article but here's a few points from it:

- TV3 argued the decision to give UTV Ireland public service status was made before the application was even received (obviously, at one point, they may have been considering a JR so important to attack the procedure rather than the decision).
    - Argued that UTV would have lower costs than TV3 (not a reason for refusing public service status!)
    - Argued that TV3 should have had a role in the decision (why???)
    - Argued that UTV sold advertising on the basis that it would be free to air before the decision was made.
    - Argued that having an Irish news service was not a qualification for public service status.

At this stage TV3 would be statute barred from JRing the Minister's decision but they may have been considering it at some stage. I think under any objective consideration of the criteria under the Act there were no grounds to refuse UTV public service status particularly when 3e has it.

I don't think the minister should have the right to make a broadcaster PBS, in reality most PBS licences are given through competition.

While a JR could have been taken the judge would have had to refered to the EUs AVWF directive which prevents EU states blocking transmissions and AFAIK the irish broadcasting act which says RTÉ can sell bandwidth to non-PSB if it is available

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Understandable that they would opt-out of the UK Election Debate, but it'd still arguably have done better than Trawlermen's Lives and Caught on Camera?

I like that Double Decker Driving School programme,its running simultaneously with ITV1,so at least its not another repeat!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭A Disgrace

Understandable that they would opt-out of the UK Election Debate, but it'd still arguably have done better than Trawlermen's Lives and Caught on Camera?

Well, I would have watched it anyway

Advertisement