Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The ITV Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,502 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Not having the England UEFA2016 qualifiers/friendlies is another wee bit of a blow to the viewer, I'd say England games are reasonably popular on international weekends if only for the familiarity of players.

So it looks like in UPC land its not possible to watch this game at all (at least with the Champions League there was still the TV3 option)?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Nope. The only option open is to shell out for a satellite dish and box and installation, if you don't have a restricted covenant or a landlord who won't let you.

Hopefully if the demand is there Setanta might pick up to the rights to England friendlies. Unfortunately there's no hope of any official Irish rights holder for England competitive game until the far side of the 2018 World Cup due to the way UEFA sells its rights. We can watch the qualifiers of any nation in Europe except for our nearest neighbours I'm afraid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

icdg wrote: »
    We can watch the qualifiers of any nation in Europe except for our nearest neighbours I'm afraid.

Do you really want the qualifiers for NI that badly, next you'll be asking if I'm mature enough to support Wales.

icdg wrote: »
    Nope. The only option open is to shell out for a satellite dish and box and installation, if you don't have a restricted covenant or a landlord who won't let you.

Hopefully if the demand is there Setanta might pick up to the rights to England friendlies. Unfortunately there's no hope of any official Irish rights holder for England competitive game until the far side of the 2018 World Cup due to the way UEFA sells its rights. We can watch the qualifiers of any nation in Europe except for our nearest neighbours I'm afraid.

Cheers ; thinking about it I'll also miss ITV when the finals themselves roll around.
    Obviously we'll still have all the actual games on RTE but its very much a 'Donnybrook in-studio' presentation - I quite like the way ITV tend to have a location studio in prime real estate (probably with the Eifel Tower in the vicinity) for their analysts and players to appear in for the matches and their nightly highlights show. Such a setup has been part of the viewing experience since jaysus (warning, age showing) 1986 I think.

Cheers ; thinking about it I'll also miss ITV when the finals themselves roll around.
    Obviously we'll still have all the actual games on RTE but its very much a 'Donnybrook in-studio' presentation - I quite like the way ITV tend to have a location studio in prime real estate (probably with the Eifel Tower in the vicinity) for their analysts and players to appear in for the matches and their nightly highlights show. Such a setup has been part of the viewing experience since jaysus (warning, age showing) 1986 I think.

You'd have to question the cost of such a set up for a Public Service Broadcaster. Though it was disappointing that RTÉ did not employ it for the Olympics. I suppose they could employ for all Home sports but after that is far to costly to send presenters and teams abroad.

• Advertisement

Elmo wrote: »
    You'd have to question the cost of such a set up for a Public Service Broadcaster. Though it was disappointing that RTÉ did not employ it for the Olympics. I suppose they could employ for all Home sports but after that is far to costly to send presenters and teams abroad.

Oh, without doubt I agree and wouldn't expect RTE to do these competitions on location. And would also acknowledge that RTE are fairly brilliant during these tournaments showing every game with long lead-ins and hanging around for indepth analysis afterwards.
    But still and all I'll miss flicking to ITV for highlights shows, visits to the England team hotel and training sessions, ex footballers dropping by for analysis lite, switching to the ITV commentary when England go 2 down against Turkey etc. Always been part of the tournament for me. Ultimate first world problem though, lend me no sympathy! And I still get half of that experience as the BBC show half the games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Did the boxing they broadcasted a few weeks ago show up in the Top 20 of that week? I can't remember if I saw it or not.

iseegirls wrote: »
    Did the boxing they broadcasted a few weeks ago show up in the Top 20 of that week? I can't remember if I saw it or not.

Yes and according to a boxing site UTV (Island of Ireland) had a peak of 780,000 while ITV (Great Britain) had a peak of 1.7. I posted in TV3 thread by mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭TheRedDevil10

getting roasted on Twitter again tonight (no England game)
    Shame that no one could be bothered to watch Dundalk v Sligo :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

spain v ukraine live was a better game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,572 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

There is a demand for British/ITV programmes.

I'm sure plenty of people missed Good Morning Britain. I don't know why Irish people watching British programmes still bothers people.

There is a demand for British/ITV programmes.

I'm sure plenty of people missed Good Morning Britain. I don't know why Irish people watching British programmes still bothers people.

"British" if you said "English" you'd be right.

There is a demand for ITV, BBC and Channel 4 programming. It is some of the best in the world, in the same way as their is a demand for TV from Hollywood.

The thing I don't get is the fact that people complain they are losing English games but have no interest in the other "home" teams.

When was the last time UTV broadcast an Northern Irish match or for that matter a Scottish, Welsh or Irish match. (When not up against the English).

We should support Irish soccer as much as English ones.

Irish Channels really should not air English lifestyle or daytime programmes, they should be producing their own and Irish audience expect that from them. But they also expect to see the best of English and American Dramas and Entertainment Shows along with Irish Drama, Entertainment, News, Sport, Daytime (to an extent) and Lifestyle programming.

Both UTV and TV3 Ireland have their mix wrong, even RTÉ get it wrong.

RTÉ ONE - Afraid to air imports outside EastEnders and Film in Prime Time (both Silk and The Good Wife would suit instead of repeats of life style programming)
    RTÉ2 - Fails to unstand that it needs more variety of Irish programming, not just Reality based Documentries, while avoid English programmes of the same kind.
    TV3 - Has too many in-studio productions and not enough quality and has little in terms of US programming, while broadcasting far too many English Lifestyle programmes.
    UTV - only mix is ITV, which it doesn't seem to use all that effectively.
    TG4 - has got some of the best US TV programmes but is low on English programming. And generally the best mix of Irish programming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭doc11

RTÉ ONE - Afraid to air imports outside EastEnders and Film in Prime Time (both Silk and The Good Wife would suit instead of repeats of life style programming) I'd don't think people would be happy to see their licence fee money spent on foreign imports on the flagship station.
    RTÉ2 - Fails to unstand that it needs more variety of Irish programming, not just Reality based Documentries, while avoid English programmes of the same kind. So rte1 has too much irish programing but rte2 has too little:rolleyes::
    TV3 - Has too many in-studio productions and not enough quality and has little in terms of US programming, while broadcasting far too many English Lifestyle programmes.What US programming? I don't see how a generic US drama would beat expose etc in ratings. Rte shifts some of that content to the nightshift
    UTV - only mix is ITV, which it doesn't seem to use all that effectively. How do you mean use effectively?
    TG4 - has got some of the best US TV programmes but is low on English programming. And generally the best mix of Irish programming. So what's your favourite programme on tg4? If rte produced the same content it would be described as pityful and it's viewing figures put that into perspective. It gets what no one else wants.What programmes are better then rte/tv3 or utv alternative. And any produced content is repeated indefinitely.
    Honestly I think you just like complaining.

doc11 wrote: »
    Honestly I think you just like complaining.

I have no problem complain largely speaking their are few English Language programmes produced with an ounce of creative or imagination from RTÉ, TV3 or UTV.

Irish TV is filled with news, daytime TV and repeats of lifestyle programming.
    I'd don't think people would be happy to see their licence fee money spent on foreign imports on the flagship station.

Both Silk and The Good Wife air on the flagship station, just not in prime time (10:30 is the earliest for The Good Wife AFAIK). People aren't happy about Ear To The Ground being repeated in Prime Time, its largely a news programming you can't repeat a news programme 6 months after the fact!
    So rte1 has too much irish programing but rte2 has too little

Too many repeat not enough quality. RTÉ2 too many repeats, too few Irish programmes and too much of the same type of home produced programming.
    What US programming? I don't see how a generic US drama would beat expose etc in ratings. Rte shifts some of that content to the nightshift

When RTÉ actually put US programming on the air in prime time they always hit the top 20 programmes, even into the late 2000s, CSI, ER, LOST etc. The majority of niche channels only show US repeats (not that they should go down that road). TV3 never really had many quality US programmes but when it did they all rated. L&O:SVU is one show that always gaurenteed an auidence on TV3 and that's not all that good. Instead their cheep in studio prime time programming are doing worse than Judge Judy.
    How do you mean use effectively?

If UTV Ireland are supposed to be going for an older audience you think that they might repeat their back catelogue of ITV Dramas at the weekends, during the day or even late night. Showing repeats in prime time when new episodes are available.
    So what's your favourite programme on tg4? If rte produced the same content it would be described as pityful and it's viewing figures put that into perspective. It gets what no one else wants.What programmes are better then rte/tv3 or utv alternative. And any produced content is repeated indefinitely.

The low viewing figures for TG4 shows is down to the language barrier, TG4 have produced better Documentaries than RTÉ One or 2. They have had produced some great drama, over the last 10 years. There mix of genre types is to be admired.

TG4 actual produce shows that are repeatable unlike like RTÉ ONE, RTÉ2, TV3 and so far UTV Ireland.

TG4 could repeat CU Burn tomorrow, does TV3 have any show dating back that far that would/or could be repeated Ireland AM circa 1999? The Morning Show? Even TV3 won't repeat their documentary on Corrib instead opting for TG4's. TG4 archive or programming will be something worthwhile for Historians and Irish people in general.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

When was the last time UTV broadcast an Northern Irish match or for that matter a Scottish, Welsh or Irish match. (When not up against the English).

They don't have the rights, Sky have had them for years now and with the new centralised system they are unlikely to ever be able to afford the rights again.

They could try buying the rights to the NIFL (nee Irish League - only took them 92 years to change the name!) but I can't see there being any interest in that here, there is barely interest in it in NI itself!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

With Sky and have UTV Ireland, garbage.....luckily I have ITV added, no football whatsoever would be a deal breaker for me, it was the only channel to watch the England game last night (no big deal to some but I need my football fix)

sonofenoch wrote: »
    With Sky and have UTV Ireland, garbage.....luckily I have ITV added, no football whatsoever would be a deal breaker for me, it was the only channel to watch the England game last night (no big deal to some but I need my football fix)

There was a football match on RTÉ2.

There was a football match on RTÉ2.

No comment

In reality was you are with Sky you never had UTV so you'd always have watch that match through other channels.

Anyway don't worry there is another Football match on tomorrow on RTÉ2. :)

[QUOTE=Elmo;94869731]In reality was you are with Sky you never had UTV so you'd always have watch that match through other channels.

Anyway don't worry there is another Football match on tomorrow on RTÉ2. :)[/QUOTE]

I did and still have through 'other channels'......or are you saying through other channels doesn't really count or something?

• Advertisement

I did and still have through 'other channels'......or are you saying through other channels doesn't really count or something?

I mean you don't have them official on your EPG.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Farty88

Utv Ireland should of been called tv3 +1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Farty88 wrote: »
    Utv Ireland should of been called tv3 +1

But there's already a tv3+1 available on upc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

UTV should have bought TV3 and we'd all have been happier.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Farty88

But there's already a tv3+1 available on upc.

I did not know that :( we'll rename it tv3 +2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,217 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

UTV should have bought TV3 and we'd all have been happier.

I disagree. TV3 is an Irish company. UTV is an English one. I really want to see UTV fail, but not TV3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Carnacalla wrote: »
    I disagree. TV3 is an Irish company. UTV is an English one. I really want to see UTV fail, but not TV3.

UTV is Northern Irish and therefore a lot more Irish than TV3 which is owned by Doughty Hanson & Co

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,799 ✭✭✭lertsnim

UTV haven't had the tax payer write off millions of euro in debt. TV3 have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,440 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Belfast is in England now? When did that happen?

Wanting to see a channel fail is pathetic and childish regardless of its ownership, anyway.

TV3 are, however, owned by British private equity firms...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,664 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Who do you think the UTV presenters are then?

Irish of course.

I'm a bit disappointed with the channel myself but at the same time I wouldn't like to see people out of a job.

Advertisement