Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The ITV Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I know I like to complain, but I wouldn't want either to fail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,217 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

L1011 wrote: »
    Belfast is in England now? When did that happen?

A few hundred years ago.

UTV made a complete balls of their Irish launch and as far as I'm concerned are just making the good Irish channels gain less revenue.

Carnacalla wrote: »
    A few hundred years ago.

ah now from a geographical and political view point even unionists would be hard pressed to say they're English.

Political Belfast is in the United kingdom of Great Britain and northern Ireland

Geographically Belfast is in Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Belfast in not in England (I'm assuming you have a clue in your head), its in Ireland (sub section Northern Ireland).

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Carnacalla I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and say you used "English" instead of "British" as a slip of the tongue. But be warned if that wasn't the case, you would be trolling and that would of course mean I'd have to warn you.

Everyone else:Lets get back to talking about television

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Carnacalla wrote: »
    I disagree. TV3 is an Irish company. UTV is an English one. I really want to see UTV fail, but not TV3.

TV3 is a British company.
    They have consistently flouted their licence conditions.
    Half their debt (for no good reason) was paid off by Irish tax payer.
    Current owners did leveraged buyout and level of Debt should be contrary to holding a licence.
    Any local content has been mostly infomercial and valueless to culture of island.
    They are a poorer British owned copy of the English ITV regions.

UTV runs internet and real Irish radio stations. Only UTV and STV in UK are separate from rest of ITV. They are at least Irish + Northern Irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭smurfs5

For anyone who wants to watch the ITV Leaders Debate and doesn't fancy a show on trawlermen or CCTV, it's on the BBC News Channel and Sky News.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 265 ✭✭brick man

smurfs5 wrote:
    For anyone who wants to watch the ITV Leaders Debate and doesn't fancy a show on trawlermen or CCTV, it's on the BBC News Channel and Sky News.

And RTE News Now as well !

They only showed the first hour, broke off for the Nine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 265 ✭✭brick man

icdg wrote:

Ye would you believe it why show it at all at that rate . I couldn't watch on Freesat as was recording . oh that news now needs an overhaul very badly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 902 ✭✭✭twinklerunner

icdg wrote: »

A quite ridiculous decision .. to show the same news that was on RTE1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭satguy

I flicked passed it twice this week as I was just using the + & - to channel hop..

Both times they had Jeremy Kyle on, he was shouting at someone...

This is one pass-up that I'm not mad at UTVi for though, seeing as there were other four channels on UPC alone that were showing the debate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,344 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Is jonathan ross on UTV or is it only on ITV he on?

doovdela wrote: »
    Is jonathan ross on UTV or is it only on ITV he on?

Yes,on Utv and ITV!

zorro2566 wrote: »
    Yes,on Utv and ITV!

It airs Wednesday Night on UTV Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Not sure who thought remaking Thunderbirds was a good idea, but once the kids are watching, they'll take the adult brickbats.

Not sure who thought remaking Thunderbirds was a good idea, but once the kids are watching, they'll take the adult brickbats.

It would have made more sense to make it a live action version to compete against Doctor Who.

Also it's a bit out on its own on UTV Ireland with no other Children's Programming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Elmo wrote: »
    It would have made more sense to make it a live action version to compete against Doctor Who.

Also it's a bit out on its own on UTV Ireland with no other Children's Programming.

They have Sesame Street on Saturday and Sunday mornings, for some odd reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,518 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Ireland Live at 6:30pm is being presented by Claire Brock today.

• Advertisement

brick man wrote: »
    Ye would you believe it why show it at all at that rate . I couldn't watch on Freesat as was recording . oh that news now needs an overhaul very badly

It is RTÉ News Now’s policy to always broadcast the latest local and national news. For this reason we simulcast the main RTÉ News programmes at 1pm, 6pm and 9pm.

In addition to this we supplement our schedule with live events from around the world. Last Thursday’s ITV Leaders’ Debate was one such program.

Unfortunately the programme’s timing clashed with our broadcast of the main evening news and Prime Time.

Having examined the issue a decision was taken to show the first part of the debate, and then switch to the Nine O’Clock News. Although not an ideal situation it is felt that this was better than not showing the debate at all.

Live coverage continued online via the RTÉ News website. There was also extensive comment and analysis of the debate on later bulletins and the following day.

Thank you for your email and for taking the time to contact us.

Kind regards,

The RTÉ News Now team :rolleyes:

That explaination only makes sense when you remember that RTE News Now is still being run by the website team.

Any other rational analysis would have come to the conclusion that as eveyone that has RTE News Now also has RTE One, no one would have missed out by RTE News Now continuing with the debate and RTE One showing the Nine as normal.

icdg wrote: »
    That explaination only makes sense when you remember that RTE News Now is still being run by the website team.

Any other rational analysis would have come to the conclusion that as eveyone that has RTE News Now also has RTE One, no one would have missed out by RTE News Now continuing with the debate and RTE One showing the Nine as normal.

And not forgetting that anyone wanting to see the 9 news could then switch over to RTÉ ONE +1

I'd say the simulcast is automated. I doubt that they had a continuity announcer going

"RTÉ News Now breaks from coverage of the UK's leader debate, you can continue with the leaders debate online, coming up the 9 News".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,799 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Elmo wrote: »
    I'd say the simulcast is automated. I doubt that they had a continuity announcer going

"RTÉ News Now breaks from coverage of the UK's leader debate, you can continue with the leaders debate online, coming up the 9 News".

They had a small banner informing viewers that news would be shown at 9 and to go to the website if you wish to continue with the debate.

lertsnim wrote: »
    They had a small banner informing viewers that news would be shown at 9 and to go to the website if you wish to continue with the debate.

How small. Still no reason to move the audience. It's a waste of a channel, they'd do well to close it at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,799 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Bottom left hand corner of the video screen. Nothing massive but noticeable. I agree about them cutting away for the news. Absolutely pointless considering the news is available on RTÉ One on Saorview and also online.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭lacase

I have to say I am really delighted to have the UTV Ireland news on at 6.30 p.m. I watch it every night during the week and it suits me much better than 6.01 on RTE. I also find it refreshing that UTV Ireland seem to be taking the whole county into consideration and the news is not totally Dublin Centric. In general I find that I am going to UTV Ireland for other programs as well now.

I am lucky I have free to air satellite so I have the option of also watching ITV1 when I want to. I can therefore see any program that UTV Ireland is not showing that is being carried on the ITV network.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭iseegirls

lacase wrote: »
    I have to say I am really delighted to have the UTV Ireland news on at 6.30 p.m. I watch it every night during the week and it suits me much better than 6.01 on RTE.

Enjoy while it lasts. It may be moved to a different timeslot, after getting battered in the ratings against RTE News.
    http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/television/utv-ireland-may-switch-flagship-news-show-to-take-on-tv3-30992620.html
    But things may have improved since the first few months, and they may stick with it. TV3 stayed with News @ 6 for seven months before they axed it. We'll see how UTV Ireland go over the next while.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭lacase

Thank you for the info regarding a possible change of time for the UTV Ireland evening news. Hopefully it will remain at 6.30 p.m. as ITV1 news is also at 6.30 p.m. even though the BBC news is at 6.00 p.m. That says to me there is a possible audience for it here and it is a case of people realizing that Irish News is available at that time. The problem is there are so many channels these days it is hard to keep track of them all particularly the newest one on the block!

• Advertisement

I just saw a Carte D'Or advert during the break for Ireland Live at 10. It was a Walls one rather than HB. Found that odd.

Advertisement