Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The ITV Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Karsini wrote: »
    I just saw a Carte D'Or advert during the break for Ireland Live at 10. It was a Walls one rather than HB. Found that odd.

I though HB was north of the boarder as well.

I don't see Ireland Live moving to 5:30. Wonder how 8pm news on TV3 did.

Elmo wrote: »

I think they are in the north too, which made it even more strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

I think 5:00 on the hour is the way to go... Get a march on RTÉ and TV3.

I think their low EPG position on sky is killing them - slot 105 from TV3 would be worth its weight in gold to them.

irishfeen wrote: »
    I think 5:00 on the hour is the way to go... Get a march on RTÉ and TV3.

I think their low EPG position on sky is killing them - slot 105 from TV3 would be worth its weight in gold to them.

It takes to much "home" produced programming from the channel to put it on at 5 or 5:30.

Even to get it at 109.

They really should try to be a bit more consistant with local TV channel numbers.

I really don't see the point of Setanta sport at 105 on UPC anymore.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭mike2084

Agreed it would be fine just at 400 with no duplication.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭The Dark Knight

irishfeen wrote: »
    I think 5:00 on the hour is the way to go... Get a march on RTÉ and TV3.......

Well for some being able to get home for 5pm!! :-(

I have to say. I've been really impressed by the utv IE news quality. Beats tv3 hand down and is approaching RTE's quality.

Maybe a move to 7pm would be best, but you'll have clashes with the soaps there.
    5pm would be way to early for me and most people I reckon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

I see good morning Britain have stopped doing the weather for the Republic :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I just saw a Carte D'Or advert during the break for Ireland Live at 10. It was a Walls one rather than HB. Found that odd.

Carte D'Or: Noticed that myself (but it was on TV3) and looked on the Carte D'Or pack in Tesco and guess what - it did not have HB or Walls on the pack - just U for Unilever.

There is a similar problem with Opel and Vauxhall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

It takes to much "home" produced programming from the channel to put it on at 5 or 5:30.

Even to get it at 109.

They really should try to be a bit more consistant with local TV channel numbers.

Perhaps it highlights that the channel is FTA, in contrast to those on the BT Pack?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,799 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Why wait when you can have it now with a satellite dish?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,440 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Me Like wrote: »
    Is there any hope of getting original UTV back on UPC if the horror show that is UTV ireland shuts up shop??

UTV Ireland is very unlikely to shut up shop - if they need to cut costs they'll just haul back on news.

Its not beyond the realms of possibility than UTV NI turns up somewhere high in the 200s though.

L1011 wrote: »
    UTV Ireland is very unlikely to shut up shop - if they need to cut costs they'll just haul back on news.

Its not beyond the realms of possibility than UTV NI turns up somewhere high in the 200s though.

105 UTV Ireland
    110 UTV
    Makes sence
    TV3 won't like it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

105 UTV Ireland
    110 UTV
    Makes sence
    TV3 won't like it

makes very little sense for UTV Ireland

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

There is no real danger of UTV Ireland shutting up shop in the near future.

Nor is there any guarentee that in the event that it did (and as I say I don't think it'll happen anytime soon - certainly not for the duration of UTV's deal with ITV) that UTV would return.

I can think of only a small number of unlikely scenarios it would happen:
    - ITV terminating their programme supply deal with UTV Ireland.
    - ITV terminating their affliation agreement with UTV (unlikely for as long as ITV and UTV both remain Channel 3 licence holders and the legal requirement for networking arrangements remains)
    - UTV somehow lost it's Channel 3 licence in NI (which would trigger the above).
    - UTV Media itself becoming insolvent
    - UTV Media being taken over by a company that did not want to be involved in the ROI operation.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

I think there is absolutely no chance of UTVI closing down anytime soon - over the next few years we will see decent UTV rights acquisitions no doubt. I think people are judging UTVI very hard - TV3 has been absolutely awful for years but people seem almost content in how bad it is. Stuff like Pat Kenny's new show should draw more viewers and as long as they have the ITV soaps then they will be just fine.

A Walls branded ad just aired on RTE2...

icdg wrote: »
    A Walls branded ad just aired on RTE2...

WTF are we becoming British, first it starts with Good Morning Britian, then our beloved Hazelbrook Farm has walls built, what next Tayto becomes Walkers, the bastards!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭formerly scottish paddy

icdg wrote: »
    There is no real danger of UTV Ireland shutting up shop in the near future.

Nor is there any guarentee that in the event that it did (and as I say I don't think it'll happen anytime soon - certainly not for the duration of UTV's deal with ITV) that UTV would return.

I can think of only a small number of unlikely scenarios it would happen:
    - ITV terminating their programme supply deal with UTV Ireland.
    - ITV terminating their affliation agreement with UTV (unlikely for as long as ITV and UTV both remain Channel 3 licence holders and the legal requirement for networking arrangements remains)
    - UTV somehow lost it's Channel 3 licence in NI (which would trigger the above).
    - UTV Media itself becoming insolvent
    - UTV Media being taken over by a company that did not want to be involved in the ROI operation.
    In fact there has been talk in the past of ITV making a bid for both UTV (TV but not radio), and STV in Scotland, enabling them to have one licence for the whole of the UK. In that situation UTV would still have a TV operation here, and of course their radio stations here and in Britain.

Such talk was ripe for many many years between 1993 and 2004. In reality since 2004 it's died out, ITV has shown no real desire for further acquisitions in that direction. It's not to say they wouldn't move if the opportunity presented themselves but neither will they pay through the odds simply to complete a jigsaw. In reality what may eventually happen is ITV giving up it's Channel 3 licence if and when it decides that the regulatory burdens are simply not worth the (very valuable) EPG positioning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,440 ✭✭✭✭L1011

105 UTV Ireland
    110 UTV
    Makes sence
    TV3 won't like it

For advertiser reasons they'd insist on it being well out of the way. UPC already carry UK and Irish versions of Sky 1, Sky Arts and some other stations on the merged Horizon EPG due to minor differences

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,579 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Any idea will UTV Ireland take the ITN election night coverage in a couple of weeks?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,518 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Any idea will UTV Ireland take the ITN election night coverage in a couple of weeks?

I'm not so sure about that as they may not have the rights to show that in ROI.

But they could be in with a shot of providing coverage of the 2 referendum results with maybe Pat Kenny as one of the presenters along with Alison Comyn later on in May.

I'm not so sure about that as they may not have the rights to show that in ROI.

But they could be in with a shot of providing coverage of the 2 referendum results with maybe Pat Kenny as one of the presenters along with Alison Comyn later on in May.

Unless Pat Kenny is on Newstalk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,518 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Unless Pat Kenny is on Newstalk.

Yeah there is that as well, I'm not fussy btw. Either him or Chris Donoghue with Alison and Claire Brock will be adequate enough for UTV Ireland's coverage IMO.

Yeah there is that as well, I'm not fussy btw. Either him or Chris Donoghue with Alison and Claire Brock will be adequate enough for UTV Ireland's coverage IMO.

Largely speaking Referendums don't have a full days coverage and with counting beginning on Saturday and a result on Sunday, I imagine that neither TV3 or UTV Ireland will cover the counts in great detail. You'd think RTÉ would spend the day at the Carlow Kilkenny Count, but likely to be from Dublin Castle if their is any outside broadcast. Be luckly to get a VB Tonight special.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Be luckly to get a VB Tonight special.

Depends on what you consider lucky I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭Delta2113

- No chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,579 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Delta2113 wrote: »
    - No chance.

I feared that was the answer. I hope I can get an online stream of their coverage on the night. I never liked BBC News or their presenters, so I enjoyed the ITV/ITN coverage as a change from Sky News.

Regarding the referendums, I doubt UTV Ireland will give more than a special 15/20 minute bulletin in the early evening, if even that at all.

Might be lucky to see RTE News Now carry Election Night coverage from ITN on News Now.... no wait why sure a simulcast of RTÉ ONE's coverage will do!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,799 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I feared that was the answer. I hope I can get an online stream of their coverage on the night. I never liked BBC News or their presenters, so I enjoyed the ITV/ITN coverage as a change from Sky News.

Regarding the referendums, I doubt UTV Ireland will give more than a special 15/20 minute bulletin in the early evening, if even that at all.

filmon.tv

Advertisement