Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The ITV Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

lertsnim wrote: »
    The Northern Ireland debate was people bickering and talking over each other. I'm glad it wasn't shown here.

Lucky you got the choice to see the bizzareness of NI politics, something we shouldn't ignore south of the border. But best to prevent on Saorview. Wonder why UTV Ireland didn't air the ITV debate? did RTÉ News Now consider it to be just people Bickering and talking over each other and decided to cut away for no apparent reason?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,799 ✭✭✭lertsnim

RTÉ News Now cut away from the ITV debate for the news as well you know. UTV Ireland I am sure came to the conclusion that the audience for last nights debate would be miniscule. The viewing figures across Northern Ireland, England and Wales weren't anything to shout about and STV didn't bother with it at all.

As for being lucky that I had the choice to watch it. It was available to anybody with a satellite dish. "But not everyone can have a dish" you will say. That's true but it is very much a small minority.

I remember the days when anyone with Sky had no BBC, ITV or C4. We just had to get on with it, much like UPC customers now do if they wish to view UTV from Northern Ireland. UTV Ireland is not UTV and it's time people got used to it.

lertsnim wrote: »
    RTÉ News Now cut away from the ITV debate for the news as well you know. UTV Ireland I am sure came to the conclusion that the audience for last nights debate would be miniscule. The viewing figures across Northern Ireland, England and Wales weren't anything to shout about and STV didn't bother with it at all.

As for being lucky that I had the choice to watch it. It was available to anybody with a satellite dish. "But not everyone can have a dish" you will say. That's true but it is very much a small minority.

I remember the days when anyone with Sky had no BBC, ITV or C4. We just had to get on with it, much like UPC customers now do if they wish to view UTV from Northern Ireland. UTV Ireland is not UTV and it's time people got used to it.

I agree but again from a PBS point of view they are a PBS

10% on Saorview alone, 30% with UPC you'd think that UTV had massive audiences outside coro and Emmers, it's not the audience who have to get used.

No real reason for RTÉ NN to cut the debate fools.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭political analyst

Elmo wrote: »
    It's funny how we re-arrange arguments when we talk about our connection to the "mainland".
    I did no such thing.
    You could turn around and say well the NI debate may give more air time to SF than the other RoI parties, in fairness there is really nothing stopping FF or FG putting forward candidates or even setting up cummans in NI, indeed if they truly come from the "republican" tradition they should. (Labour are closely aligned to SDLP so I'll take them as that party but really they too could have NI candidates as their predecessor party DL had in the past.)
    FG and FF would be wasting their money if they ran candidates in NI, where voters already have a huge choice of parties to choose from for voting.
    Of course the idea that SF may for the first time (in their 40 or 100 year history) might enter Westminister to avoid a Tory government, or that they might not enter Westminister causing a Tory government might be cause for concern this side of the border??? Indeed if they did allow such a thing happen FG and FF would be quick to talk about British Austerity when SF could have put in an anti-Austerity gov in the UK along with the SNP, The Greens and CP, instead allowing the DUP get in there. No sure a NI debate is really no concern to the Irish punter, imagine if SF became the largest party both north and south of the border in the GE and MLA elections. You'd soon see a merger of the 2 unionist parties to prevent a SF 1st Minister and a FG/FF coalition to prevent an SF lead government.
    SF will never take its seats in the House of Commons. The fact of the matter is that NI is not part of the Republic. Therefore, strictly speaking, the UTV NI debate is not directly relevant to us. RTÉ's coverage of the developments after polling day is sufficient.
    TV3's and UTV Ireland's line up of News and In-studio programming suggests that if they wanted to provide some UKGE coverage (not rolling coverage) they could.

IMO as public service broadcasters where the two government's have signed a broadcasting MoU to allow for the provision of Cultural, political and economic links to both sides of the boarder then the Irish broadcasters on Saorview should provide some of their coverage particularly when that company has a clear link to the North, indeed this would be a the very heart of the Irish minister's decision to give UTV Ireland PSB status.
    TV3 and UTV Ireland may be unofficially regarded as PSBs for the purpose of EPG placements but, officially, the BAI regards RTÉ and TG4 as PSBs and TV3 and UTV Ireland as commercial broadcasters. Type "TV3 commercial broadcaster BAI" into Google and you'll find proof of that point under the page entitled "BAI to enter into content contract with UTV Ireland".
    By contrast, both the commercial broadcaster, TV3, and the public service broadcasters, RTÉ and TG4, have a range of additional programming obligations, which are set out in statute.

Lucky you got the choice to see the bizzareness of NI politics, something we shouldn't ignore south of the border. But best to prevent on Saorview. Wonder why UTV Ireland didn't air the ITV debate? did RTÉ News Now consider it to be just people Bickering and talking over each other and decided to cut away for no apparent reason?

Here's the reply I got after I sent an e-mail.
    It is RTÉ News Now’s policy to always broadcast the latest local and national news. For this reason we simulcast the main RTÉ News programmes at 1pm, 6pm and 9pm.

In addition to this we supplement our schedule with live events from around the world. Last Thursday’s ITV Leaders’ Debate was one such programme.

Unfortunately the programme’s timing clashed with our broadcast of the main evening news and Prime Time.

Having examined the issue a decision was taken to show the first part of the debate, and then switch to the Nine O’Clock News. Although not an ideal situation it is felt that this was better than not showing the debate at all.

Live coverage continued online via the RTÉ News website. There was also extensive comment and analysis of the debate on later bulletins and the following day.

Thank you for your email and for taking the time to contact us.

Kind regards,

The RTÉ News Now team

• Advertisement

I did no such thing.

If you look back on the thread, I happened to quote you it wasn't a direct debate with you.
    FG and FF would be wasting their money if they ran candidates in NI, where voters already have a huge choice of parties to choose from for voting.

A huge choice of parties 2 Far-left republican parties and 2 far-right unionist parties. Total and utterly divided.

It's call commitment and passion, go up for election if you want don't expect to make a return. I would say there are many nationalist who would like to vote Right of centre, and many unionist willing to vote left or left of centre. Unimaginable for them not to vote along historical lines.
    SF will never take its seats in the House of Commons. The fact of the matter is that NI is not part of the Republic. Therefore, strictly speaking, the UTV NI debate is not directly relevant to us. RTÉ's coverage of the developments after polling day is sufficient.

Interesting to see if SF hold that power to keep the Tories out of government. Certainly GE2016 will continue to look north if SF allow a Tory government and refuse to work with other republican and leftist parties. But again another thread another debate.
    TV3 and UTV Ireland may be unofficially regarded as PSBs for the purpose of EPG placements but, officially, the BAI regards RTÉ and TG4 as PSBs and TV3 and UTV Ireland as commercial broadcasters. Type "TV3 commercial broadcaster BAI" into Google and you'll find proof of that point under the page entitled "BAI to enter into content contract with UTV Ireland".

TV3 are officially a Public Service Broadcaster unofficially they are a commercial broadcaster. BAI aren't the best a their jobs TBH and it really depends on how TV3 feel, indeed I was told by one person from the Dept not to call TV3 a national broadcaster or a Public service broadcaster followed by and its not a commercial broadcaster either :rolleyes:. UTV Ireland was granted a PSB from the minister. The Dept got consultants (from the UK) to talk about PSB licencing though the seem to forget to look at how Channel 5 and Local TV was awarded in the UK (and local radio in Ireland and PBS in the rest of Europe. (generally awarded from a Public Competition). http://www.dcenr.gov.ie/Broadcasting/

See the prob with UTV Ireland or TV3 providing coverage is that many cannot face the fact that: -

1. TV3's programming between 6pm and 9pm largely doesn't even get 60,000 viewers
    2. UTV Ireland's news programmes also do not get above 60,000 viewers.
    3. For that matter the majority of programming on both channels doesn't reach 50,000 or more viewers.

So why not cover our nearest neighbours politics for debates and counts. I am not suggesting that TV3 or UTV carry UK national debates, just that UTV carry one debate, they could have even provided the debate during This Is UTV Ireland hours.
    Here's the reply I got after I sent an e-mail.

I got the same reply. It is total and utter crap.

Also RTÉ have covered US presidental and UK general election's. AFAIK RTÉ provide coverage of the last UK GE from Belfast.

AFAIK RTÉ provide coverage of the last UK GE from Belfast.

There will be coverage again this year from 11.10pm to 4am

If you look back on the thread, I happened to quote you it wasn't a direct debate with you.
    Fair enough.

TV3 are officially a Public Service Broadcaster unofficially they are a commercial broadcaster. BAI aren't the best a their jobs TBH and it really depends on how TV3 feel, indeed I was told by one person from the Dept not to call TV3 a national broadcaster or a Public service broadcaster followed by and its not a commercial broadcaster either :rolleyes:. UTV Ireland was granted a PSB from the minister. The Dept got consultants (from the UK) to talk about PSB licencing though the seem to forget to look at how Channel 5 and Local TV was awarded in the UK (and local radio in Ireland and PBS in the rest of Europe. (generally awarded from a Public Competition).
    You've got a point about the BAI - it failed to take TV3 to task for not making itself available on most of the analogue relay transmitters. Furthermore, it doesn't take TV3 and UTV Ireland to task for their failure to provide news bulletins on Saturdays and Sundays (although UTV Ireland, unlike TV3, has a bulletin on bank holiday Mondays). After all, ITV and Channel 4 are able to provide UK and world news on weekends and bank holidays.
    See the prob with UTV Ireland or TV3 providing coverage is that many cannot face the fact that: -

1. TV3's programming between 6pm and 9pm largely doesn't even get 60,000 viewers
    2. UTV Ireland's news programmes also do not get above 60,000 viewers.
    3. For that matter the majority of programming on both channels doesn't reach 50,000 or more viewers.

So why not cover our nearest neighbours politics for debates and counts. I am not suggesting that TV3 or UTV carry UK national debates, just that UTV carry one debate, they could have even provided the debate during This Is UTV Ireland hours.
    There might still be a cost issue associated with simulcasting UK election coverage. It would probably get even fewer viewers than TV3's evening schedule or UTV Ireland's news programmes. Therefore, it doesn't make commercial sense to provide a simulcast just for the relatively small number of people who don't have either satellite dishes or terrestrial overspill. As for UPC viewers, they have plenty of channels to flick to and from for coverage of the UK elections - BBC, Sky News, CNN, Euronews, Al-Jazeera, France 24 (not to mention coverage on Channel 4, which consists of an alternative live programme on election night and news programmes, which are produced by ITN).

Furthermore, TG4, which has greater PSB responsibility than TV3 or UTV Ireland, simulcasts France 24 in the early hours and RTÉ News Now will probably simulcast Euronews, which is what it does in the early hours, after the RTÉ election night programme ends.

Also RTÉ have covered US presidental and UK general election's. AFAIK RTÉ provide coverage of the last UK GE from Belfast.

The results and the negotiations for forming a government are of more immediate concern to the Republic as well as the UK than the pre-election debates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,579 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Just to back up on something I previously posted, UTV Ireland are not broadcasting ITV/ITN coverage or indeed UTV Northern Ireland coverage of the election results on Thursday night/Friday. There will be no GMB and a film will be shown in place of This Morning on the Friday morning.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I can remember the Good Friday Agreement.

UTV, BBC , RTE and SKY constant updates every half hour. Which said "there's been an agreement" followed by 29 minutes of how we got here. Every Half Hour.

Some people might not want to watch the election.

I'm a channel hopper myself,

Just to back up on something I previously posted, UTV Ireland are not broadcasting ITV/ITN coverage or indeed UTV Northern Ireland coverage of the election results on Thursday night/Friday. There will be no GMB and a film will be shown in place of This Morning on the Friday morning.

Where did you find this in relation to GMB.

Interesting to see #NIDebate trending in Ireland.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

The BBC NI debate, which we were able to see, was on last night. Last debate of the campaign as it happens, though I'm not sure why it was so late.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Drowning in red ink

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/may/14/utv-ireland-losses-itv-utv-media-talksport
    UTV Media has said that it expects losses at its new channel, UTV Ireland, to balloon to £8.5m this year, almost triple its original forecast.

The broadcaster, which also owns TalkSport and the ITV franchise in Northern Ireland, said in March that it expected losses to hit £6m this year.

“It is still very early in the life of UTV Ireland and there is considerable volatility in its performance,” the company said. “The strategic logic of UTV Ireland in creating leading television operations throughout Ireland remains clear.”

• Registered Users Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

its been a disaster really not helped by non availabity(or non-showing) of the top rated ITV programmes that they don't/cant show at the same time as ITV network.

its been a disaster really not helped by non availabity(or non-showing) of the top rated ITV programmes that they don't/cant show at the same time as ITV network.

All of the channels now have an opportunity to show simulcast ITV programmes and the choose not to.

I can't think of the show but a few weeks back RTÉ2 had an ITV programme air in the middle of the night rather than Simulcast it with ITV. Though there are few of them.

TV3 aren't simulcasting much unless its a Live programme.

These shows aren't as available now, you'd think they would try all try to simulcast them.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 ciarandee1

UTV Ireland said on Thursday it is to move its teatime news programme to 5.30pm from 6.30pm where it will compete directly with TV3’s evening show.

In a bid to boost audience figures it is also to begin broadcasting hourly news updates from 6am to 5pm and from 7pm to 9pm. The station currently provides early morning updates from 6am to 8am only.
    The station’s main evening news show - Ireland Live at 10 is to remain in the same time slot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

ciarandee1 wrote: »
    UTV Ireland said on Thursday it is to move its teatime news programme to 5.30pm from 6.30pm where it will compete directly with TV3’s evening show.

In a bid to boost audience figures it is also to begin broadcasting hourly news updates from 6am to 5pm and from 7pm to 9pm. The station currently provides early morning updates from 6am to 8am only.
    The station’s main evening news show - Ireland Live at 10 is to remain in the same time slot.

Great. even more reason not to watch it now as it means the Chase will move to 6 pm. A full hour after its available on ITV.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 902 ✭✭✭twinklerunner

ftakeith wrote: »

I agree. What makes them think that they will be any more successful taking on TV3 News than they were taking on 6.1?
    Their news offering isn't really any better than TV3 anyway.
    No mention of weekend bulletins either. Mind you, RTE's weekend news is 7 or 8 minutes of news followed by sports news with every score they can muster from any sport available on that day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

ciarandee1 wrote: »

I knew this would happen - good move from UTV - I think 5 O'Clock could work well too.

UTV now must learn from this - RTÉ news will never be beat in this country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭iseegirls

irishfeen wrote: »
    I knew this would happen - good move from UTV - I think 5 O'Clock could work well too.

UTV now must learn from this - RTÉ news will never be beat in this country.

TV3 news benefits from the lead in of Judge Judy. UTV Ireland's news will have no such lead in - Dickinson's Real Deals ratings would be small. They couldn't even take advantage of The Chase, which crept into their Top 20 shows a few weeks back.

Terrible research really, and they should really have just looked at the history of TV3 trying news at 6 and 6.30 before to see it can't be done up against the beast that is SixOne news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

Wouldnt mind chase at 6!

Also UTV Ireland are now going to have to defend low 5:30 ratings against The 5:30. Headline: TV3 News Annihilates UTV News by Nick Webb/Laura Satterly/Kirsty Blake Knox.

I wonder what ratings TV3 had for the 6pm news, and its 7pm news and its 6:30 news.

Also it means UTV Ireland will have only one Irish Show in prime time.

Wouldnt mind chase at 6!

That's usually the time I'd watch it on ITV+1 so if that means I can watch it without sponsored by Aunt Bessies on every break then happy days.

I think one of the main causes of UTV's low ratings is it EPG position on sky - its absolutely killing them... they are lost in no mans land.

irishfeen wrote: »
    I think one of the main causes of UTV's low ratings is it EPG position on sky - its absolutely killing them... they are lost in no mans land.

You'd have to see a breakdown of audience between each of the platforms. UTV would know themselves if this is the case. I have only ever once seen Terrestial rating and I think that was one of the many BAI reports on DTT, it showed TG4 had a 8% in homes in 4TV land with 50% for RTÉ ONE and RTÉ2 and TV3 taking up 42% not sure how equal they were at the time.

You'd have to see a breakdown of audience between each of the platforms. UTV would know themselves if this is the case. I have only ever once seen Terrestial rating and I think that was one of the many BAI reports on DTT, it showed TG4 had a 8% in homes in 4TV land with 50% for RTÉ ONE and RTÉ2 and TV3 taking up 42% not sure how equal they were at the time.
    The thing is without TV3 going bust or UTV buying TV3 they won't be moving up - long term I think they need to be on 103, 105 to increase audience drastically.

I agree. What makes them think that they will be any more successful taking on TV3 News than they were taking on 6.1?
    Their news offering isn't really any better than TV3 anyway.
    No mention of weekend bulletins either. Mind you, RTE's weekend news is 7 or 8 minutes of news followed by sports news with every score they can muster from any sport available on that day.

I agree. The lack of weekend news on UTV Ireland and TV3 is disappointing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 574 ✭✭✭PacMan

TV3 News at 8pm, did anyone see this last night (Thursday 14th may) ?
    The graphics said TV3 news The 5:30.
    Not just once, but during the first part of the news programme.
    Its a pity is they are repeating the news, a tad cheap of them really.

Advertisement