Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The ITV Thread

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Was it actually a repeat or just an error with the titles/Astons used? Very bad form of them if they actually simply repeated the 5:30pm bulletin at 8.

As far as UTV's EPG position is concerned, it's not ideal on Sky (though remember that for Sky viewers continuing access to ITV may also be a factor). Sky will give up 106 only at the point of a gun though and, while their system is well capable of it, giving UTV a higher position would really entail more divergence between the Irish and UK EPGs (in the entertainment category, at least) than Sky really want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 902 ✭✭✭twinklerunner

irishfeen wrote: »
    The thing is without TV3 going bust or UTV buying TV3 they won't be moving up - long term I think they need to be on 103, 105 to increase audience drastically.

I'm not so sure about its epg position on Sky. Viewers seem to be able to find it for Coronation Street. Also, epg 102 isn't exactly setting RTE2's figures alight.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9 Spanish Max

Massive losses being projected for this folly. €12m for the year. Over 300% higher than estimated.

Be bye bye soon to this awfully planned farce.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

Massive losses being projected for this folly. €12m for the year. Over 300% higher than estimated.

Be bye bye soon to this awfully planned farce.

they wont shut up shop but may consolidate their programming. Its early days yet for them and they are in it for the long haul.

they wont shut up shop but may consolidate their programming. Its early days yet for them and they are in it for the long haul.

Well unless they are happy stacking cash up and setting of in fire then they will be gone soon. I for one will welcome the reversion back to the 'old' UTV channel on UPC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Well unless they are happy stacking cash up and setting of in fire then they will be gone soon. I for one will welcome the reversion back to the 'old' UTV channel on UPC.

I imagine that UTV will continue to try to make UTV Ireland more like UTV proper as the years go on. The ITV rights are divided between RTÉ (a few BBC distributed Dramas), TV3 (Entertainment/Drama) and UTV(Soap/Drama).

Elmo wrote: »
    I imagine that UTV will continue to try to make UTV Ireland more like UTV proper as the years go on. The ITV rights are divided between RTÉ (a few BBC distributed Dramas), TV3 (Entertainment/Drama) and UTV(Soap/Drama).

Seems pointless and costly. Why not just rewind the clock and forget about this disaster.

If it does go,it will be only UPC viewers who will benefit as I cant see Sky having ITV/UTV on the epg! :(

Seems pointless and costly. Why not just rewind the clock and forget about this disaster.

UTV proper was hemorging views it had just below 3% of the audience when in 2001 it was getting similar audience to TV3 (10%), with UTV Ireland they have doubled their audience and employed people. The Republic was once a cash cow for UTV, they want to get that cow back.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭formerly scottish paddy

It must be really galling for UTV staff in Belfast suffering cuts, to see this sort of money being squandered in the south.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,875 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

It's the lack of home produced programming other than news that just makes the whole exercise appear cynical like it's not an Irish station - it's just full of UK imports.

It must be really galling for UTV staff in Belfast suffering cuts, to see this sort of money being squandered in the south.

Indeed but UTV must be making money with out their southern brethren.

UTV radio must also be galled as well.

UTV Ireland is cynical

I for one will welcome the reversion back to the 'old' UTV channel on UPC.

Don't assume that would happen either, particularly if you really believe UTV's assertion that it was UPC's decision rather than their's to remove UTV when UTV Ireland launched.

icdg wrote: »
    Don't assume that would happen either, particularly if you really believe UTV's assertion that it was UPC's decision rather than their's to remove UTV when UTV Ireland launched.

UTV Ireland should perhaps convince them to put UTV +1 on their service.

If your paying purely for the basic cable packages drop them in favor of FTA Sat. and Saorview.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,579 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Any word on special referendum results prorgammes next Saturday?

They are providing a news programme at 5:30 and hourly updates from 9am basically the new news schedule Monday to Friday for ref and by election day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Unlike an election, I suspect this will be one of the rare times when local and national radio will be quicker off the mark with updates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,579 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

They are providing a news programme at 5:30 and hourly updates from 9am basically the new news schedule Monday to Friday for ref and by election day

Not bad! Better than nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭Joo0

An Irish ad feed for an itv channel would have been an easier option for them. Cant say ive watched anything on UTVI yet. Only use to watch the old utv for the sport

Joo0 wrote: »
    An Irish ad feed for an itv channel would have been an easier option for them. Cant say ive watched anything on UTVI yet. Only use to watch the old utv for the sport

Again UTV had been kept of Sky's EPG and wasn't on Saorview, it needed to buy the rights for ITV programming to make regain the loss of sales from the irish market over the last 10 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭Joo0

Again UTV had been kept of Sky's EPG and wasn't on Saorview, it needed to buy the rights for ITV programming to make regain the loss of sales from the irish market over the last 10 years.
    They misjudged the market big time. If they had of launched with programs other than soaps they could be doing a lot better. Family members I know who have freesat/saorview are all watching the old utv. HD picture and better selection of programs. 90% of people who have saorview have freesat. (as far as I can remember) It would be intresting to see what % of people who can recieve UTV Ireland are still watching UTV NI

• Site Banned Posts: 18 Wingful

They misjudged the market big time. If they had of launched with programs other than soaps they could be doing a lot better. Family members I know who have freesat/saorview are all watching the old utv. HD picture and better selection of programs. 90% of people who have saorview have freesat. (as far as I can remember) It would be intresting to see what % of people who can recieve UTV Ireland are still watching UTV NI

They got off to a dreadful start. My mother was freaking out when the latest series of Foyles War wasn't shown.

If you look back through this thread no one here is arguing that, if you go back to the thread on the announcement of UTV Ireland everyone (myself included) said exactly what you are saying, and we said it long before UTV Ireland started broadcasting

UTV still enjoy an RoI audience for UTV and they'll continue to sell adverts on that channel for both a North and South audience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭political analyst

An Irish ad feed for an itv channel would have been an easier option for them.

The problem with that argument is that UTV Ireland wouldn't have been able to get onto Saorview if it was just a simulcast of the ITV network schedule, i.e. the need to have Ireland Live on UTV Ireland instead of ITV News.

The problem with that argument is that UTV Ireland wouldn't have been able to get onto Saorview if it was just a simulcast of the ITV network schedule, i.e. the need to have Ireland Live on UTV Ireland instead of ITV News.

The Broadcasting Act give precedence for PSBs but goes on to say that should space be available or unwanted that the network provider should provide it to whom ever takes it.

DCENR did nothing to progress PSB services on Saorview.

Then there is the little thing called the EU Directive called AV without frontiers (formally TV without frontiers), both directives clearly state that if a broadcaster is licensed in an EU jurisdiction then no other EU government may prevent the broadcast of that channel on any platform in their jurisdiction. Rights issues are another thing entirely.

In other words UTV did not need to get a licence from the BAI and UTV did not need to get special PSB status from the minister.

UTV could have got a licence from OfCom for an Irish opt-out, and gone on Saorview (and other platforms). And I would question anybody trying to prevent this happening under Irish and EU law. Though this didn't happen. TV3 would have been within their rights to prevent the full schedule as they hold the irish rights to many ITV shows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Don't be surprised if TV3 change News to 5pm and Judge Judy to 5.30pm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Delta2113 wrote: »
    Don't be surprised if TV3 change News to 5pm and Judge Judy to 5.30pm.

I think it will be the other way around - UTV Ireland will be changing it to 5pm. No need for TV3 to change it - it has worked successfully for them since they changed it in 1999.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

iseegirls wrote: »
    I think it will be the other way around - UTV Ireland will be changing it to 5pm. No need for TV3 to change it - it has worked successfully for them since they changed it in 1999.
    I tend to agree, I think 5pm would actually suit them better too. Ironically TV3 news seems to be a lead in for RTÉ's Six One...

They would (or should) only get away with 5:00pm if News at 8:00 is made a permanent fixture.

Quite a lot of UTV talk in the Sunday's, buyers are not happy with the failure to capitalise on the soaps, or the fact that its budget is mostly going into news (although they acknowledge the reason why that is the case). For its own part UTV is playing "blame the network" but saying they expect a stronger H2 (but they would say that, wouldn't they),

• Advertisement

icdg wrote: »
    They would (or should) only get away with 5:00pm if News at 8:00 is made a permanent fixture.

Quite a lot of UTV talk in the Sunday's, buyers are not happy with the failure to capitalise on the soaps, or the fact that its budget is mostly going into news (although they acknowledge the reason why that is the case). For its own part UTV is playing "blame the network" but saying they expect a stronger H2 (but they would say that, wouldn't they),

what reason do they give for most of the money going towards the news?

I don't see why buyers aren't happy, the result of UTV Ireland has been to divide the audience down the middle of TV3 and UTV Ireland, meaning Buyers if wise can get more for their money, since they have two rivials picking way at the same audience.

Which network do they blame?

The only change they are making for the second half is News.

Advertisement