Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The ITV Thread

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Elmo wrote: »
    what reason do they give for most of the money going towards the news?
    The need to obtain regulatory approval. It's probably a fair assessment that they wouldn't have gotten public service status without it.
    Which network do they blame?.
    ITV, who else....it's what they have always done if they've thought the programming out of them is not up to scratch. Neither UTV Ireland nor UTV NI is obliged to show any particlular ITV programme (except in UTV NI's case ITN) but I don't see them running out to find alternative sources of programming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

icdg wrote: »
    The need to obtain regulatory approval. It's probably a fair assessment that they wouldn't have gotten public service status without it.

ITV, who else....it's what they have always done if they've thought the programming out of them is not up to scratch. Neither UTV Ireland nor UTV NI is obliged to show any particlular ITV programme (except in UTV NI's case ITN) but I don't see them running out to find alternative sources of programming.

You know that I don't believe that UTV Ireland needed PSB status from the minister due to both the Broadcasting Act 2009 and the EU's AVWF directive, indeed their was little need for them to obtain a licence from the BAI, when it could have been easily got from OfCom.

Do you think that Irish TV wouldn't be allowed on Saorview because it wasn't designated? I wonder if DCENR would even notice if Irish TV appeared or if 2rn where of the mind to notify DCENR that it was entering into an agreement with Irish TV or any other TV channel for that matter, the only reason was TV3's insistance.

Complaining about ITV network programming is daft when UTV Ireland decided not to air a Monday Night 2 part drama "Code of A Killer" on the channel, instead opting for a repeat of Trevor McDonald.

Their inhabitable to work with Graham Norton or Jonathan Ross.

And as you say their lack of other programming from other sources.

Also even if UTV Ireland need the destination as a Public Service Broadcaster, its news effort could have come from its Local Radio Services.

I don't really understand UTV Ireland's need for an expensive Dublin City Centre newly fitted out studio, when UTV as a media organisation possibly had equipment, staff, offices and studio space it could have used more efficiently.

Bizzare to think that UTV Radio uses Communicorp (newstalk) for National News. And having listened to a number of news services around the country on the Radio Player I wonder what the point is of local radio, when most use the same news service, indeed the only ones not airing that news where music stations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭political analyst

You know that I don't believe that UTV Ireland needed PSB status from the minister due to both the Broadcasting Act 2009 and the EU's AVWF directive, indeed their was little need for them to obtain a licence from the BAI, when it could have been easily got from OfCom.

Either there is need to get a licence from the BAI to launch a channel in Ireland or there isn't. The law is the law.

Either there is need to get a licence from the BAI to launch a channel in Ireland or there isn't. The law is the law.

The law states there is no need to get a broadcast licence in the local jurisdiction.

No EU government can prevent the broadcast of channel that has a currently broadcast licence from another EU state on any platform.

For example: Sweden's pay TV service TV3 and its FTA sister TV6 are licensed in the United Kingdom.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TV3_%28Sweden%29
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TV6_(Sweden)

While the Irish government designated Soarview for Public Service Broadcasters it also allows for the network provider to provide non-PSB channels should space be available. Broadcasting Act 2009.

UTV Ireland could be licneced by OfCom in the UK and broadcast from Belfast and Still appear on Saorview (Providing that it had enough space, which it does). Indeed TV3's former CEO Rick Hetherington suggested that he could go to the UK get a licence an forgo any Irish regulations from the then BCI.

Also for the pro-UTV prop people Rights would effect its appearance on Soarview, TV3 still would have Irish rights to many ITV programmes. UTV on Saorview would have to drop those shows, its likely in such a situation that TV3 would have fought for UTV to drop those shows on UPC also.

• Advertisement

Ireland Live referendum special this Saturday afternoon at 5:30.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭iseegirls

30 minutes on UTV Ireland, 2 hours on TV3, 5 hours on RTE1, but only 15mins on TG4.

iseegirls wrote: »
    30 minutes on UTV Ireland, 2 hours on TV3, 5 hours on RTE1, but only 15mins on TG4.

UTV will have hourly updates.

Referendums are never as good as elections. Pity none took the decision to cover Ref 2015 from Carlow Kilkenny count.

Election 2016 will be the big decider.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,579 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Given the hype and the larger than normal turnout, only a half an hour coverage seems a bit crap.

Given the hype and the larger than normal turnout, only a half an hour coverage seems a bit crap.

Most referendum watchers will tune in to RTÉ and most of the rest of them will tune in to TV3 at 4. The number watching the Ireland Live special will be miniscule.

• Advertisement

For 2 channels that don't normal air news at the weekend your lucky the state runs elections on a Friday for them to provide coverage.

Surprised by TG4 as the usually go for more coverage, indeed it may just be because of cut backs at RTÉ

When do the pres age boxes get open because it looks like only RTÉ will cover that vote!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭SPDUB

When do the pres age boxes get open because it looks like only RTÉ will cover that vote!

9am this morning .All papers go into the one box

SPDUB wrote: »
    9am this morning .All papers go into the one box

When do they get counted? I wasn't being literal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭SPDUB

When do they get counted? I wasn't being literal.

The minister ordered that they would be counted after the count was finished for the marriage equality Referendum

SPDUB wrote: »
    The minister ordered that they would be counted after the count was finished for the marriage equality Referendum

So as I said only RTÉ2 & news now will cover that vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 ciarandee1

is anyone having trouble with medialive website they have updated it and not letting me login. is this happening to anyone else

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

ciarandee1 wrote: »
    is anyone having trouble with medialive website they have updated it and not letting me login. is this happening to anyone else

Annoyingly, you've to re-register your details, if your originals don't work, use a different e-mail account and you'll be in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Yep had to register again. So odd that they haven't kept the old usernames.

Do they upload the full news programme on their player? I can't find yesterday's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 ciarandee1

when i try to register it asks for county and i tried donegal and co.donegal and keeps saying its an invalid input

Do they upload the full news programme on their player? I can't find yesterday's.

Prob on their player rather than the news section.

Prob on their player rather than the news section.

It's not up unfortunately.

It's not up unfortunately.

Is Friday's news?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 902 ✭✭✭twinklerunner

Looks like it's not just this thread that's losing interest:

http://www.independent.ie/business/media/utv-news-at-530-gets-just-7000-viewers-31296693.html

Their marketing team needs replacing if the shows aren't getting an audience or change the whole programme format back to the ITV/UTV schedule!

You'd have to wonder why IMN aren't interested in TV3.

From that article: -
    Lowest audience of 7,000 for Ireland Live (10/06/15)
    Lowest audience of ??,??? for The 5:30
    Lowest audience of ???,??? for Six One
    Average audience of 17,500 for Ireland Live
    Average audience of 108,000 for The 5:30
    Average audience of ???,??? for Six One
    Highest audience of 38,000 for Ireland Live (1/6/15)
    Sameday audience of 468,000 for Six One
    Sameday audience of ???,??? for The 5:30
    Highest audience of ???,??? for The 5:30
    Highest audience of ???,??? for Six One

TV3's Source "TV3 owns the 5.30 slot".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 902 ✭✭✭twinklerunner

You'd have to wonder why IMN aren't interested in TV3.

From that article: -
    Lowest audience of 7,000 for Ireland Live (10/06/15)
    Lowest audience of ??,??? for The 5:30
    Lowest audience of ???,??? for Six One
    Average audience of 17,500 for Ireland Live
    Average audience of 108,000 for The 5:30
    Average audience of ???,??? for Six One
    Highest audience of 38,000 for Ireland Live (1/6/15)
    Sameday audience of 468,000 for Six One
    Sameday audience of ???,??? for The 5:30
    Highest audience of ???,??? for The 5:30
    Highest audience of ???,??? for Six One

TV3's Source "TV3 owns the 5.30 slot".

Indeed .. also no mention in the article of ratings for TV3's 8pm News

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭Joo0

7,000 viewers on Wednesday night is shocking. I didnt think things were that bad at UTVI

• Advertisement

Joo0 wrote: »
    7,000 viewers on Wednesday night is shocking. I didnt think things were that bad at UTVI

There not, they're News Programmes are just not finding an audience.
    We still have no figures on TV3 News at 8 and The 7 O'Clock Show's highest audience 70,000.

Advertisement