Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The ITV Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭Joo0

Elmo wrote: »
    There not, they're News Programmes are just not finding an audience.
    We still have no figures on TV3 News at 8 and The 7 O'Clock Show's highest audience 70,000.

The only thing that is doing well for UTVI is the soaps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Joo0 wrote: »
    The only thing that is doing well for UTVI is the soaps

What's doing well on TV3? Other than BGT?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

What's doing well on TV3? Other than BGT?

I think they have got a great audience for their press releases. They appear to travel well with the print media.

I think they have got a great audience for their press releases. They appear to travel well with the print media.

Indeed just don't include Xpose, Midday, The 12:30 and News @ 8.

Press also avoids UTV's 8pm programmes on Monday and Friday night both of which do as well as Red Rock

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

What's with the whole not showing the movies that's on UTV ?

It's like UTV Ireland is to UTV like 3e is to TV3.

• Advertisement

What's with the whole not showing the movies that's on UTV ?

It's like UTV Ireland is to UTV like 3e is to TV3.

Movies on UTV are bought by the ITV Network. E.G. RTÉ hold the rights to James Bond movies in RoI, while ITV also hold them for UK audiences. UTV Ireland have few rights to movies in RoI.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

I wouldn't use the TV3-3e analogy at all, but you have to remember UTV's deal with ITV only involves programming ITV makes itself, though they've managed to acquire rights to some others. They do not broadcast ITV News (except for bulletins integrated into Good Morning Britain) and can only broadcast ITV Sport programmes if they independently acquire the rights to the event in question (they have done this on two occasions, the Cricket World Cup and one professional boxing card). And no imports or movies either. This leaves them with a severly cut down schedule over UTV (NI). However, to look upon the positive aspects, they do broadcast the vast majority of the ITV daytime schedule.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Maybe I should have put it differently, but if you like movies it feels like UTV lite.

Today they are showing three repeats of The Chase instead of Jurassic Park :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 76 ✭✭Puddle Q

When will the penny drop and this sorry mess is ended ? UTV Ireland is hopeless. The reset button needs to be pressed and go back to the pre launch situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Puddle Q wrote: »
    When will the penny drop and this sorry mess is ended ? UTV Ireland is hopeless. The reset button needs to be pressed and go back to the pre launch situation.
    Being realistic it's the same with TV3 now after losing the ITV soaps. It's hard to know where both will go into the future, UTV have the big advantage of a big media organisation behind them so more rights investment is very much possible.

One big event happening next year (I think) is TV3 losing archive rights to ITV shows - that alone will decimate their schedule down to almost nothing of value at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Its a complete embarrassment, almost as if UTV thought it was 1980, you can't launch a channel and assume people will beat a path to your door in 2015. They didn't plan anything other than grabbing the rights to Corrie and Emmerdale it seems.

What has happened is that the UTV brand is now badly sullied and is now associated with things you can't see rather than things you can.

Its a complete embarrassment, almost as if UTV thought it was 1980, you can't launch a channel and assume people will beat a path to your door in 2015. They didn't plan anything other than grabbing the rights to Corrie and Emmerdale it seems.

What has happened is that the UTV brand is now badly sullied and is now associated with things you can't see rather than things you can.
    They are not even on the air 12 months so you are being ridiculously hard on them - schedule is very poor at the minute but their news output is actually good.

I'll give them a few years to develop properly before rushing to judgement - their MD has stated that rights will be acquired when they become available. If they fail at UTVI it will be a major embarassment for the media group - I don't think we will see them just fade away in their first year.

irishfeen wrote: »
    They are not even on the air 12 months so you are being ridiculously hard on them - schedule is very poor at the minute but their news output is actually good.

I'll give them a few years to develop properly before rushing to judgement - their MD has stated that rights will be acquired when they become available. If they fail at UTVI it will be a major embarassment for the media group - I don't think we will see them just fade away in their first year.

All this could have been prevent with a modicum of planning. The fact that this is missing leads me to believe management there is by clowns

Have they indicated anything for the Autumn/Winter yet? They'll need a "blockbuster" mix of drama and reality sh1t (and sport if they have any ambitions in that direction) if they are going to make it to their first anniversary on anything other than a crutch.

All this could have been prevent with a modicum of planning. The fact that this is missing leads me to believe management there is by clowns
    They have built a studio, employed over 100 people, launched on sky, UPC, Saorview, eVision and acquired ITV shows from TV3..... Give them some credit!

Apart from losing out to RTÉ and TV3 on Champions League games I don't see how they could have prised away any more major rights. All film/Sport/series distribution rights for locked down in long term contracts with RTÉ/TV3/TG4/Setanta/Sky.

Over the next few years these rights will become available for UTV to bid for, I think it will be fairer to judge them properly then.

Have they indicated anything for the Autumn/Winter yet? They'll need a "blockbuster" mix of drama and reality sh1t (and sport if they have any ambitions in that direction) if they are going to make it to their first anniversary on anything other than a crutch.
    Do you mean homemade stuff from UTV themselves?? .. because if not you have to understand that almost all "blockbuster" stuff is locked away from UTV under deals signed with other broadcasters.

UTV can't just say "we want Game of Thrones from next week on" ...

So they launched a channel with no regard to first run content availability?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,799 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Apart from losing out to RTÉ and TV3 on Champions League games I don't see how they could have prised away any more major rights. All film/Sport/series distribution rights for locked down in long term contracts with RTÉ/TV3/TG4/Setanta/Sky.

This is what a lot of people seem to be forgetting/don't realise.

They have built a studio, employed over 100 people, launched on sky, UPC, Saorview, eVision and acquired ITV shows from TV3..... Give them some credit!

Over the next few years these rights will become available for UTV to bid for, I think it will be fairer to judge them properly then.

Yeah they did all that and forgot the crucial part of what will attract an audience !!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,799 ✭✭✭lertsnim

They should have ignored ITV Studios and not launched until some film rights became available? It's better to start off small and grow.

• Advertisement

They have already said they only launched because they won the ITV Soaps from TV3... everything else is secondary as they knew they will keep the channel afloat before adding new stuff..

If you look at the current market share Year-On-Year UTV are not too far away from TV3 even now - that's basically 3 programmes (Emmerdale, Coronation Street and Rare Breed) putting them only a few % away from a broadcaster around since 1998.

RTE One: 17.7% (20% 2014)
    RTE Two: 4.9% (7%)
    TV3: 7.3% (11%)
    3e: 2.6% (3%)
    TG4: 2.1% (2%)
    UTV: 0.71 (3%)
    UTV Ireland: 5.8% (N/A)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

If we remember what the pre-launch situation was it was no ITV on the Sky EPG and no ITV at all on Eircom. For customers of these two platforms any ITV, even in the cut down form of UTV Ireland, is better than no ITV at all. True for UPC customers this is a major disprovement, but if you buy the line that it was UPC's decision to drop UTV NI (and let me be clear - I don't buy it) then that was going to happen anyway.

Jurassic Park broadcast rights are with RTÉ they've aired them in the past few weeks on 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭Delta2113

The D.O.G. in the top left hand corner puts me off from watching anything on Utv Ireland.

I had set it to record a film a few weeks back and I cancelled the recording when I thought about the D.O.G.

I like Billy Connolly but because it's on Utv Ireland - I just didn' t bother with it. When I mention UTv Ireland to my friends they just say how bad it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭iseegirls

One big event happening next year (I think) is TV3 losing archive rights to ITV shows - that alone will decimate their schedule down to almost nothing of value at all.

Decimate their schedule?? Very overdramatic. Their Top 20 shows of last week has only just 2 programmes that they would lose the repeats of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Decimate their schedule?? Very overdramatic. Their Top 20 shows of last week has only just 2 programmes that they would lose the repeats of.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

It is a rubbish station........... They have tried to become a success off the back of 2 soaps.. No film rights, no rights to any sports, nothing of any note.. Its a station that nobody needed or wanted....... And will hopefully be dead in the water soon... We are a small country and already have 4 Irish based stations here, add in the stations on offer through Sky and UPC and UTV Ireland was never going to get off the ground with the content they had to start with... Pure greed is what this station is about.......

iseegirls wrote: »
    No The Graham Norton Show, Saturday Night Takeaway, The Chase etc.

All TV3 will be left with (secure until 2016) of any major value will be

UK/US X Factor
    Britain’s Got Talent
    Family Fortunes
    Take Me Out
    Downton Abbey
    I'm a Celebrity

.. few of them even scraping the barrel.

ziggyman17 wrote: »
    It is a rubbish station........... They have tried to become a success off the back of 2 soaps.. No film rights, no rights to any sports, nothing of any note.. Its a station that nobody needed or wanted....... And will hopefully be dead in the water soon... We are a small country and already have 4 Irish based stations here, add in the stations on offer through Sky and UPC and UTV Ireland was never going to get off the ground with the content they had to start with... Pure greed is what this station is about.......
    A "rubbish station" which created more then 100 jobs, launched only the second Irish HD channel on Sky and will IMO bring much needed competition to RTÉ/TV3 in future years... would you prefer they go broke and sent 100 people not to mention the spin off jobs to the dole queue??

Ireland is plenty big enough to have three main broadcasters - RTÉ, TV3 and UTVI.

• Advertisement

Jurassic Park broadcast rights are with RTÉ they've aired them in the past few weeks on 2
    They still could have showed old classic films or old ITV series with feature length episodes.

They should remember that a lot of people watching UTV Ireland won't be watching ITV2, 3 or 4 so there is no shortage of material to choose from.

Advertisement