Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The ITV Thread

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 76 ✭✭Puddle Q

irishfeen wrote: »
    A "rubbish station" which created more then 100 jobs, launched only the second Irish HD channel on Sky and will IMO bring much needed competition to RTÉ/TV3 in future years... would you prefer they go broke and sent 100 people not to mention the spin off jobs to the dole queue??

Ireland is plenty big enough to have three main broadcasters - RTÉ, TV3 and UTVI.

I would prefer they go broke.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

A "rubbish station" which created more then 100 jobs, launched only the second Irish HD channel on Sky and will IMO bring much needed competition to RTÉ/TV3 in future years... would you prefer they go broke and sent 100 people not to mention the spin off jobs to the dole queue??

Ireland is plenty big enough to have three main broadcasters - RTÉ, TV3 and UTVI.

most if not all the employees left previous Jobs to join this joke of a station, its not as if the 100 people were taken off the dole queue, the bottom line is that they are trying to launch a station of the back of 2 soaps, and they offer nothing more that was already on offer from the other Irish stations..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

ziggyman17 wrote: »
    most if not all the employees left previous Jobs to join this joke of a station, its not as if the 100 people were taken off the dole queue, the bottom line is that they are trying to launch a station of the back of 2 soaps, and they offer nothing more that was already on offer from the other Irish stations..
    But TV3 basically did the exact same thing over the last 8-10 years... as I showed before TV3 have gone from an 11% share to 7% almost overnight with the loss of the soaps ... apart from the soaps they had almost nothing either.

The loss of archive ITV stuff will also chip away at this 7% figure...

Puddle Q wrote: »
    Why? TV3/UTV are currently two sides of the same coin ... do you just want to leave RTÉ at Irish broadcasting again?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

But TV3 basically did the exact same thing over the last 8-10 years... as I showed before TV3 have gone from an 11% share to 7% almost overnight with the loss of the soaps ... apart from the soaps they had almost nothing either.

The loss of archive ITV stuff will also chip away at this 7% figure...

Tv3 have exclusive World Cup Rugby, Champions League on Tuesdays next season, both will bring in big viewing figures... With Sky and no ITV showing of Champions league next season, Alot of people will stick to TV3 instead of getting BT for the football... The original point still stands that we did not need another Irish station, UTV Ireland offer nothing new or different than we already had... Ulster Tv offered a much better choice than UTV Ireland can ever hope to do...

• Advertisement

ziggyman17 wrote: »
    Tv3 have exclusive World Cup Rugby, Champions League on Tuesdays next season, both will bring in big viewing figures... With Sky and no ITV showing of Champions league next season, Alot of people will stick to TV3 instead of getting BT for the football... The original point still stands that we did not need another Irish station, UTV Ireland offer nothing new or different than we already had... Ulster Tv offered a much better choice than UTV Ireland can ever hope to do...
    The RWC will last from 18 September – 31 October so in the grand scheme of TV3 its not going to make them or break them - I do agree that their CL will receive a boost and I have already said it was a big mistake that UTV did not win Tue and Wen night games.

... from my pov I think there is plenty of room for three main Irish broadcasters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭iseegirls

No The Graham Norton Show, Saturday Night Takeaway, The Chase etc.

All TV3 will be left with (secure until 2016) of any major value will be

UK/US X Factor
    Britain’s Got Talent
    Family Fortunes
    Take Me Out
    Downton Abbey
    I'm a Celebrity

.. few of them even scraping the barrel.

Graham Norton and The Chase is only on 3e, while Takeaway is 7 episodes long. It doesn't affect much of TV3s primetime.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭lgs 4

Why the hell is UTV Ireland sticking us on Saorview with sh....y SD service that money grabbing Sky have the HD Service

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

lgs 4 wrote: »
    Why the hell is UTV Ireland sticking us on Saorview with sh....y SD service that money grabbing Sky have the HD Service

I think you've answered your own question

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I do not watch UTVi at all - not because I wont, I just never think of it. They must get some 'must see' programmes, and I doubt they will attract much of an audience until they do.

Whether it is in sh....y SD or HD makes no difference if the progamme is sh...y. It is content that will drive the channel.

• Advertisement

I do not watch UTVi at all - not because I wont, I just never think of it. They must get some 'must see' programmes, and I doubt they will attract much of an audience until they do.

Whether it is in sh....y SD or HD makes no difference if the progamme is sh...y. It is content that will drive the channel.
    i agree

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭Infoanon

How many viewers does UTVi lose when the same programming is freely available in HD on Sky through other channels?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Infoanon wrote: »
    How many viewers does UTVi lose when the same programming is freely available in HD on Sky through other channels?

Nothing is freely available on Sky unless it is FTA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,799 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Puddle Q wrote: »

You'll be waiting a while.
    Nothing is freely available on Sky unless it is FTA.

But a lot of what UTV Ireland show is available FTA on ITV.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Infoanon wrote: »

You'd surely be looking there at the subset of Sky viewers who have HD boxes but don't take the HD pack, since UTV Ireland is in HD on Sky.

lertsnim wrote: »

But a lot of what UTV Ireland show is available FTA on ITV.

But UTVi is FTA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,440 ✭✭✭✭L1011

But UTVi is FTA.

Its not.

As national broadcasters, Saorview views should be the main focus, that goes for the all national broadcasters TG4 and TV3 for their HD services to free and not piggy backing on sky or UPC

They would lose massive viewership by not being on UPC. Most UPC viewers - in Dublin in particular - don't own an aerial. You have to remember that cable in Dublin ("the pipe" as we used to refer to it!) began partially as a response to the "forest of aerials" in 1960s Dublin. It was so successful that houses in Dublin with rooftop aerials are like gold dust.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

L1011 wrote: »
    Its not.

It depends on how you view the term IMO any terrestrial channel carried in the clear is FTA, others only prescribe the term to channels carrier on satellite in the clear, though this would mean TV3, 3e and UTVi to be non-FTA channels.

TV3 +1, TG4HD and UTVi HD are all pay channels
    And many may question Saorsat as FTA

• Advertisement

Elmo wrote: »
    It depends on how you view the term IMO any terrestrial channel carried in the clear is FTA, others only prescribe the term to channels carrier on satellite in the clear, though this would mean TV3, 3e and UTVi to be non-FTA channels.

TV3 +1, TG4HD and UTVi HD are all pay channels

Technology Total households Relative households
    Satellite 17,779,000 46.1%
    Cable (digital) 11,229,000 29.1%
    Cable (analogue) 6,630,000 9.9%
    DVB-T 3,865,000 10.0%
    DSL-TV 1,899,000 4.9%
    All 38,557,000 100%
    The breakdown of tv viewing habits in germany in 2014 if all the other national broadcasters here used the Saorsat platfrom the take up would be better

It's quite clear and there is no need to complicate the term. UTV Ireland is not FTA on satellite in standard definition or high definition. A Sky subscription is required to view the channel via satellite.

How would anyone question that?

lertsnim wrote: »
    It's quite clear and there is no need to complicate the term. UTV Ireland is not FTA on satellite in standard definition or high definition. A Sky subscription is required to view the channel via satellite.

How would anyone question that?

Is saorview FTA?
    Because it's not as ubiquitous as Astra.

Is saorview FTA?
    Because it's not as ubiquitous as Astra.

Saorview is FTA and well you know it is. What has Saorview got to do with Astra 2? Someone stated that UTV Ireland is not FTA on satellite and you come along saying it depends on how you perceive the term FTA.

Saorview is FTA as is Saorsat. Can you please tell me how someone might think Saorsat is not a FTA service?

So anyway, that UTV Ireland.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,518 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

iseegirls wrote: »
    Graham Norton and The Chase is only on 3e, while Takeaway is 7 episodes long. It doesn't affect much of TV3s primetime.

The Graham Norton Show on 3e is only for the repeat rights. The new episodes for the ROI are shown on UTV Ireland from the 1st of January this year.

Its not.

Well I can get it and I only have Saorview and Freesat. So it must be FTA.

In response to @lertsnim but in fairness you were talking about satellite.
    But UTVi is FTA.
    Its not.

The problem with UTV Ireland is its not UTV Proper, its not a full ITV network channel, and its only 50% of a UTV network. People expected it to be a UTV copy largely speaking. It is but its missed out on much of the ITV programmes it has rights to e.g. classic ITV shows as pointed out before on this thread.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Technology Total households Relative households
    Satellite 17,779,000 46.1%
    Cable (digital) 11,229,000 29.1%
    Cable (analogue) 6,630,000 9.9%
    DVB-T 3,865,000 10.0%
    DSL-TV 1,899,000 4.9%
    All 38,557,000 100%
    The breakdown of tv viewing habits in germany in 2014 if all the other national broadcasters here used the Saorsat platfrom the take up would be better
    A much better example would have been Austria where the state channel ORF is the dominant home grown channel but most people watch TV from Germany too.
    Some 92 percent of all households received their television signal by cable or satellite by the end of 2008,

• Advertisement

Nearly all of UK TV can be received FTA in the republic using Freesat or Freeview. Using Freesat, one can choose the favourite version/locality. Freeview is the whole bouquet if one can get the main transmitter, otherwise a few channels are missed.

This means that UTV and any ITV channel can be received FTA. UTVi is transmitted on Saorview which is also FTA and can be received by well over 98% of the population using a rooftop aerial and a suitable receiver.

So how can UTV or UTVi be not FTA.

Now when it comes to HD .......

Advertisement