Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The ITV Thread

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

UTVi is transmitted on Saorview which is also FTA and can be received by well over 98% of the population using a rooftop aerial and a suitable receiver.
    Not even close to 98%

grand if you are in the country , apart from a few valleys

People who live in apartments or flats may not get saorview.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,799 ✭✭✭lertsnim

So how can UTV or UTVi be not FTA.

On satellite it is not which is the point that was made.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Look, I think we should call a halt to this argument. It's a bit like arguing that black is white to be honest, and it's not really much to do with UTV Ireland at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭political analyst

Not even close to 98%

grand if you are in the country , apart from a few valleys

People who live in apartments or flats may not get saorview.

If residents of blocks of flats can't get Saorview then they'll probably have cable or Sky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,518 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Pat Kenny in the round is now straying onto UTV NI's schedule tonight as it's showing the interview with Daniel and Majella O'Donnell beginning at 10:15pm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Utv says losses at Utv Ireland will be £11.5m in 2015.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 76 ✭✭Puddle Q

'Board has today approved an action plan' - would love to know what that is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭iseegirls

It really has been a failure - they have the massive advantage of having two huge soaps, but have not planned out anything outside of the two.

Delta2113 wrote: »
    'Board has today approved an action plan' - would love to know what that is.

Wouldn't hold my breath. Their last plan to move the news to 5.30 led them to having around 7,000 viewers. I question their audience research team.

• Advertisement

People want the old Utv back -it's that simple but unlikely it will ever happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

iseegirls wrote: »
    Wouldn't hold my breath. Their last plan to move the news to 5.30 led them to having around 7,000 viewers. I question their audience research team.

1. To soon to move 6:30
    2. To soon to talk of 5:30 wait for a few months
    People want the old Utv back -it's that simple but unlikely it will ever happen.

Only had 3% share, has increased ths 100% with UTV Ireland (5.6) and UTV proper (0.7).
    Now available on Saorview and Sky.

They are too slow to look at simple change

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Could they have bought TV3 for the £11.5m?

Could they have bought TV3 for the £11.5m?

No. Is That the total cost of the channel set up out side of Programme rights? Total losses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Utv says losses at Utv Ireland will be £11.5m in 2015.

The opening prediction was about 3.5m wasn't it?

Yeah

I can only imagine that plan for 2015 is to continue as is, meaning no growth. Is their no imagination at UTV?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Just the projected losses in year one. I have no idea what there net investment would be.

Elmo wrote: »
    Yeah

I can only imagine that plan for 2015 is to continue as is, meaning no growth. Is their no imagination at UTV?

Which probably means no sports rights (if there were any available) or movie rights for the next while. We'll have to make do with programmes which have been showed months or sometimes years earlier on UTV.

Which probably means no sports rights (if there were any available) or movie rights for the next while. We'll have to make do with programmes which have been showed months or sometimes years earlier on UTV.

Which would be fine if it were the better shows from ITV like their Dramas. They seem unwilling to make simple change, they went with the bigger option of moving the News just daft.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

1. To soon to move 6:30
    2. To soon to talk of 5:30 wait for a few months

Only had 3% share, has increased ths 100% with UTV Ireland (5.6) and UTV proper (0.7).
    Now available on Saorview and Sky.

They are too slow to look at simple change

And even that 3% extra could be due simply to being carried on the other platforms, so whether creating a brand-new channel was necessary to that end is debatable!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭formerly scottish paddy

Is their no imagination at UTV?
    Eh...........................no.

And even that 3% extra could be due simply to being carried on the other platforms, so whether creating a brand-new channel was necessary to that end is debatable!

I'd say TV3 pushed UTV off Sky and negotiated that they wouldn't be part of the EPG, possibly agreed when they were owned by Granada. They could have done this as none of the channels had yet to agree to be on Sky. AFAIR. So the likely hood of UTV proper appearing on Sky was small.

So yes a new channel with rights was need for that IMO.
    Eh...........................no.

Is there any imagination in any TV channel in Ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

And that included set up cost for the studio and hiring staff. They had expected to be profitable in the second half of this year.

I wouldn't make any bets that it would be back even if UTV Ireland closed (which I don't think will happen anytime soon, either) - particularly if the mooted Liberty takeover of TV3 happens, and that looks like it is getting closer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 76 ✭✭Puddle Q

icdg wrote: »
    I wouldn't make any bets that it would be back even if UTV Ireland closed (which I don't think will happen anytime soon, either) - particularly if the mooted Liberty takeover of TV3 happens, and that looks like it is getting closer.

Of course a variant of ITV will be back if the shoite that is UTV Ireland is gone !

Will it? UPC say it was their own decision to drop it. If, as now seems highly likely, they buy TV3, what incentive would they have to put on their platform a station that isn't must carry, they would have to pay rights fees for, and would no doubt resume competing for advertising in the Irish market against their own TV3? I wouldn't make any assumptions that they would.

4,700 tuned in for their 5:30 news on Monday. Compared to 93,000 on TV3.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

4,700 tuned in for their 5:30 news on Monday. Compared to 93,000 on TV3.
    I didn't think viewership could reach that low in Ireland - unbelievable... They are in massive trouble!

If you consider that this number of viewers is based on a sample number of people surveyed, then numbers as low as that is beyond the limit of accuracy. They must be down to single numbers of the sample, which would make the quoted number more of a guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

If you consider that this number of viewers is based on a sample number of people surveyed, then numbers as low as that is beyond the limit of accuracy. They must be down to single numbers of the sample, which would make the quoted number more of a guess.
    Yes but I assume all figures are calculated using the same formula with sample numbers - the 90,000 TV3 first the same time is obviously a direct comparison.

Advertisement