Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The ITV Thread

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

irishfeen wrote: »
    Yes but I assume all figures are calculated using the same formula with sample numbers - the 90,000 TV3 first the same time is obviously a direct comparison.

Yes, but what I am saying is UTV's figure could be much lower.

Puddle Q wrote: »
    Of course a variant of ITV will be back if the shoite that is UTV Ireland is gone !

On UPC maybe but not on Sky!

I didn't think viewership could reach that low in Ireland - unbelievable... They are in massive trouble!

Where are they going wrong? Do they need to get a new marketing campaign started,for a start?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

iseegirls wrote: »
    4,700 tuned in for their 5:30 news on Monday. Compared to 93,000 on TV3.

Where did you get this info?

Elmo wrote: »
    Where did you get this info?

Indo says they had an all day share of 8.82 % compared to 8.02% for TV3 on Monday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭iseegirls

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

They need to be putting the word out that they exist. I very rarely stray onto their channel, mostly because I do not have the habit of looking for them.

They need to have 'must see' programmes that will have people looking for them and then they can build from there. Good drama, sports, and decent new local programmes that are exclusive to them, all of these things will draw an audience. Bringing ITV to Ireland would have worked twenty years ago, but most people will go to a satellite before going to UTVi.

Its weird that they dont have movies except for some crappy Oirish ones.They should have got the rights to that type of programme at least.Hopefully this 'plan of action' that was mentioned is one where the programming is brought nearer to the ITV/UTV output and they need to do a big marketing plan to create awareness of their channel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,727 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

I know they couldn't simply take the content from ITV and play it over here, but surely they should have had something to bring to the table.

ITV have the England footy games, why don't they at least throw them up (men, in particular, will watch any old football and England does command quite a bit of notice here).

Why not go to whomever they brought the dist rights from for ITV programs and ask them to allow for a short time extending it. I just don't understand why they basically launched with no content.

My guess is that they underestimated the pulling power of the soaps, thinking that they would attract many viewers (correct) and that would sustain the station throughout the day. The problem I see for them now is that it has almost got to the stage that the brand itself could be tarnished and if they don't do something soon it may be too late to turn peoples perceptions.

The latest report is absolutely appalling and I would assume that the top bosses in ITV are asking very serious questions as to why they even bothered. They already had the advertising revenue from ITV and whatever price TV3 were paying for the soaps. I can't believe that they were losing 16+m on that!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

They can show everything ITV make themselves.

The problem is the stuff ITV don't make themselves. It isn't within their power to just "throw up" the England games. If they do they will be on to a hefty lawsuit from UEFA for breach of copyright. Like it or not they missed the auction for the European Qualifiers rights.

Likewise they can't just decide to show other ITV programming owned by third parties.

The "bosses in ITV" don't care less what ratings UTV Ireland is getting as long as it pays ITV the money its due for the content it has bought.

Yeah, you're probably right about the games etc, but still doesn't answer why they thought they could launch a new TV channel with basically nothing on it. They were always going to face a backlash when UPC people lost a well known channel like UTV so they needed to show that they were as good as if not better replacement. They have singularly failed to do that.

On the ITV bosses not caring, a 16+m hole in finances has to paid for somehow, and since ITV are the owners then its them that are going to have to pick up the tab.

Obviously there will always be start up costs and bedding in periods, but even they had projected 8m losses for the year only 3 months ago!

Its not like they are really a new channel, starting from scratch, they are in effect the Irish branch of ITV so while the content will be different the ideas and the know how should have been there. It seems they started with a blank piece of paper and decided that that was enough!

They made a big deal at the time of their announcement to launch that TV3 were not delivering the audience that the programs should have been getting. I bet TV3 are p233ing themselves now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Some posts on here are hilarious... Do people not realise programming for the most has to be bought at auction which is then locked down for a period of time... UTVI are broadcasting what they have the rights to - they can just decide to show Premier League games come August.

Some people will have to learn the broadcasting rights process.

Leroy42 wrote: »

They made a big deal at the time of their announcement to launch that TV3 were not delivering the audience that the programs should have been getting. I bet TV3 are p233ing themselves now.

ITV don't own UTV or UTV Ireland. UTV is part of the ITV network holding the local licence for Northern Ireland like STV it pays licencing fees to the ITV network for "national" programming, UTV Ireland is part of UTV Media.

UTV Ireland own 3 blocks of rights from what we can gather the main ITV Studios programming that TV3 dropped and 2 other smaller deals. It then has Irish news and 8pm programming and some films. Outside of this UTV Ireland have no RoI rights.

TV3 are in as much trouble weather the press wanting to state that or not. TV3 have seen their audience share drop by 40% in the last 5 months, I don't think TV3 have the ability to piss, as they would just be doing so into the wind.

But you are right and we said it many times up to now, even before launch. UTV Ireland missed an opportunity to get Champions League and many other sporting rights, while the channel would not have been ready for GAA rights that were sold for 2014 - 2016 seasons. It's unlikely that UTV even bid on RWC2015. Or any of the sporting rights.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 76 ✭✭Puddle Q

Some posts on here are hilarious... Do people not realise programming for the most has to be bought at auction which is then locked down for a period of time... UTVI are broadcasting what they have the rights to - they can just decide to show Premier League games come August.

Some people will have to learn the broadcasting rights process.

So what? This is why is failing and losing tens of millions. It has a terrible out of date schedule. Who's fault is that? So it's set up to fail? Grand. Good riddance to bad rubbish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 902 ✭✭✭twinklerunner

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Yeah, you're probably right about the games etc, but still doesn't answer why they thought they could launch a new TV channel with basically nothing on it. They were always going to face a backlash when UPC people lost a well known channel like UTV so they needed to show that they were as good as if not better replacement. They have singularly failed to do that.

On the ITV bosses not caring, a 16+m hole in finances has to paid for somehow, and since ITV are the owners then its them that are going to have to pick up the tab.

Obviously there will always be start up costs and bedding in periods, but even they had projected 8m losses for the year only 3 months ago!

Its not like they are really a new channel, starting from scratch, they are in effect the Irish branch of ITV so while the content will be different the ideas and the know how should have been there. It seems they started with a blank piece of paper and decided that that was enough!

UTV Ireland is owned by UTV, not ITV – completely separate companies

So what? This is why is failing and losing tens of millions. It has a terrible out of date schedule. Who's fault is that? So it's set up to fail? Grand. Good riddance to bad rubbish

TV3 lost 100s of millions and is still going.

UTV Ireland is owned by UTV, not ITV – completely separate companies

Thanks, everyday is a school day.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 76 ✭✭Puddle Q

Elmo wrote: »
    TV3 lost 100s of millions and is still going.

So what? This thread is about UTV Ireland.

Anyway why lie?

http://www.irishexaminer.com/business/exceptional-gain-puts-tv3-in-profit-299837.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,799 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Anyway why lie?

http://www.irishexaminer.com/business/exceptional-gain-puts-tv3-in-profit-299837.html

Handy after the Irish tax payer bailed them out.

• Advertisement

Anyway why lie?

Tv3 massive loans went to IRBC after being bought by DH in 2006 for 265m, a level headed bank called Anglo irish gave them that loan, with the liquidation of IRBC TV3's loans were sold back to them at a reduced rate.

And In 2013 TV3 still had coro St and Emmerdale, which is now on UTVIRELAND.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

6 months from its launch and all ive watched were the Jeremy Kyle shows.

Herself watches Emmerdale and Cornation Street and thats pretty much it.

The bloody Utv Ireland watermark is burnt onto my plasma tv :mad:

Its too bloody bright :mad::mad::mad:

Has UTVI got access to the entire ITV Studio catalogue? ... if they do there is some very decent looking shows available - Texas Rising, Aquarius, Poldark, Jordskott, Rectify... etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,518 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Has UTVI got access to the entire ITV Studio catalogue? ... if they do there is some very decent looking shows available - Texas Rising, Aquarius, Poldark, Jordskott, Rectify... etc.

You have to remember though that Poldark is not shown on ITV in the UK. Poldark is shown on BBC One over there.

You have to remember though that Poldark is not shown on ITV in the UK. Poldark is shown on BBC One over there.
    I don't think that would matter - its still sold by ITV Studios and Ireland is a different jurisdiction... its like the The Graham Norton Show in the UK - Made for the BBC and distributed by ITV Studios.

The only material UTVI might not be allowed to show is stuff like Love/Hate where RTÉ I assume have a veto in Ireland.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

The scenery idents will be ditched in September according to today's Sunday Times, with a reworked logo. I'm not sure what good that's going to do when it's programming that's the issue. A tale doing the rounds this week is that UTV are being frustrated by TV3 counterprogramming with repeats of the same programmes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

icdg wrote: »
    The scenery idents will be ditched in September according to today's Sunday Times, with a reworked logo. I'm not sure what good that's going to do when it's programming that's the issue. A tale doing the rounds this week is that UTV are being frustrated by TV3 counterprogramming with repeats of the same programmes.

last night was a case in point with the chase on at the same time. But they havent helped themselves by vastly underestimating the irish audience by not showing first run episodes of Doc Martin etc. "letting people catch up" on earlier series. That set the downward trend in viewing figures along with not being able to show almost any sports.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭iseegirls

icdg wrote: »

I think they call it the Ant&Dec effect/problem. When TV3 were showing Saturday Night Takeaway repeats at the same time of new episodes on UTVi - they were getting around 100,000 viewers for the repeats, while UTVi may have gotten around 20,000 more than that.
    It's probably occurring through the other shows like Jeremy Kyle, The Cube, The Chase and Big Stars Little Star. Are viewers simply choosing to watch these shows because they're higher up on the EPG, even though they are repeats.
    It's not been told exactly next year when TV3 lose these rights - if its until the end of 2016 - then UTVi will have to wait a while until they have the exclusive rights.

They could do a marketing/advertising campaign to get themselves being watched. Also, get a few local quiz programmes with real prizes - maybe get some ITV quiz shows with Irish contestants.

• Advertisement

last night was a case in point with the chase on at the same time. But they havent helped themselves by vastly underestimating the irish audience by not showing first run episodes of Doc Martin etc. "letting people catch up" on earlier series. That set the downward trend in viewing figures along with not being able to show almost any sports.

Doc Martin did very well for UTV Ireland the new series doesn't start until the autumn on ITV.

Advertisement