Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The ITV Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,799 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Hmmmmm poirot on utv Ireland vs the Bourne supremacy on Itv1 hd now

Difficult choice...

No other channels?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Elmo wrote: »
    Just to back myself up on this :)

Is this not a cry of despair by a TV company that has been trying to flog this turkey all over the place?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Charles Slane

Is this not a cry of despair by a TV company that has been trying to flog this turkey all over the place?

No. No, it's not.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

No. No, it's not.

Well, in their original puff about this soap, they expected to sell it all over the place. If it is now 'only on TV3' does this amount to a total failure of this project to sell it internationally?

Mind you it has been shown at least six times already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Well, in their original puff about this soap, they expected to sell it all over the place. If it is now 'only on TV3' does this amount to a total failure of this project to sell it internationally?

The failure is TV3's other programming such as Xpose and The Seven O'Clock and a few of their documentary series.

Red Rock is unfortunately surrounded by an awful lot of bad programming.

TV3 have always stated that their programming has sold, 24 Hours to Kill sold to .... CBS Reality!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

The only on tv3 phrase clearly refers to in Ireland. Bears no reflection to international sales.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭iseegirls

I think UTV Ireland was saying that Graham Norton was exclusively on their channel when they launched. That was just a silly way to market it.

iseegirls wrote: »
    I think UTV Ireland was saying that Graham Norton was exclusively on their channel when they launched. That was just a silly way to market it.

I presume that was true for new episodes. Who would have expected that TV3 would put on old episodes of programmes at the same time as UTVi were putting on the new episodes?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

is Midsummer Murders on UTVIRL old episodes still? they don't seem to be the same ones as UTVHD are showing..

is Midsummer Murders on UTVIRL old episodes still? they don't seem to be the same ones as UTVHD are showing..

Are UTV showing new episodes or repeats?

• Advertisement

Are UTV showing new episodes or repeats?

If Nettles is in it, it is old. If Graham Norton does not have a beard, it is old.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

Just checked there and it confirms my suspicion that UTVIrl episodes are old. on UTVHD series 17 episode 3 - the ballad of Midsommer Country new episode while UTVIRL are showing the episodes from 2014 according to the episode guide. I guess they haven't listened to their audience who want new episodes...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭MarkK

... on UTVHD series 17 episode 3 - the ballad of Midsommer Country new episode ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Midsomer_Murders_episodes

The UTV NI one "The Ballad of Midsomer County" is a repeat from February.

Newspapers reporting that UTV is selling their TV division to ITV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

Newspapers reporting that UTV is selling their TV division to ITV.

Liberty Media, ultimate owners of TV3, own just under 10% of ITV plc.

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/jul/31/liberty-global-itv-stake-takeover-virgin-media

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/media-and-marketing/tv3-deal-is-another-content-play-for-liberty-global-1.2273050

It isn't a huge stretch now to think that both UTV Ireland and TV3 will be rolled up into one channel before too long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

UTV Ireland - RIP within 3 months.

Possibly the concept was one of the worst business decisions ever in broadcasting. Market is tiny, choice is huge. A new player with second rate UK repeats, was never going to get traction.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Banjoxed wrote: »
    Liberty Media, ultimate owners of TV3, own just under 10% of ITV plc.

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/jul/31/liberty-global-itv-stake-takeover-virgin-media

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/media-and-marketing/tv3-deal-is-another-content-play-for-liberty-global-1.2273050

It isn't a huge stretch now to think that both UTV Ireland and TV3 will be rolled up into one channel before too long.

I wouldn't overegg the Liberty-ITV connection (as one very misleading report by the Independent did at the weekend). They have a less than 10% stake in ITV and don't even have a representative on the board of ITV, never mind the kind of management control they would need to force such a sale. For now it's very much just an investment.

We might keep the UTV takeover talk to the other thread as this has repercussions beyond UTV Ireland, until we know the details (If a deal is done) and exactly what it will mean for UTV Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

delahuntv wrote: »
    UTV Ireland - RIP within 3 months.

Possibly the concept was one of the worst business decisions ever in broadcasting. Market is tiny, choice is huge. A new player with second rate UK repeats, was never going to get traction.

There is a market but its an older demographic. My parents rarely watch anything other than RTÉ One and UTV Ireland and think TV3 shouty (Vincenzo) and cheap (repeats and Channel 5 content)

Banjoxed wrote: »
    There is a market but its an older demographic. My parents rarely watch anything other than RTÉ One and UTV Ireland and think TV3 shouty (Vincenzo) and cheap (repeats and Channel 5 content)

UTV over spent on their news that was their bad decision not knowing the audience.

Though I don't see them gone in 3 months TBH

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,727 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Why would anybody buy them? They have no brand recogonition, well positive anyway, no audience, no own programs etc.

Easier to simply let it die and start again.

• Advertisement

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Why would anybody buy them? They have no brand recogonition, well positive anyway, no audience, no own programs etc.

Most likely itv will re-brand. And they have much of the work done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,727 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Most likely itv will re-brand.

Yeah, thats my point though. You don't need to buy them to rebrand. Simply extend your own offerings.

I guess you need to buy the licence to broadcast (or whatever it is called) but even that sounds a bit silly as why give a licence to one channel and allow it to be sold to another company who may well do things completely different

Yeah, thats my point though. You don't need to buy them to rebrand. Simply extend your own offerings.

I guess you need to buy the licence to broadcast (or whatever it is called) but even that sounds a bit silly as why give a licence to one channel and allow it to be sold to another company who may well do things completely different

They sold the rights to UTV Ireland basically they'll buy them back if sold.

Technically no need for licence as they have on from OfCom see EU AVWF and there is space on the DTT muxes see Broadcasting act 09

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

The main asset is UTV as in Northern Ireland. The new UTV Ireland targeted to Republic has no real value.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 ciarandee1

there was a article i read few months back about louis walsh fronting a Ireland go talent , itv could be launching that on the channel

• Registered Users Posts: 26 ciarandee1

there was a article i read few months back about louis walsh fronting a Ireland go talent , itv could be launching that on the channel
    i can't post the link but it was my the independent

ciarandee1 wrote: »
    i can't post the link but it was my the independent

AFAIK TV3 hold the rights to the Got Talent programme, I assume it extends to rights to the Irish Format. RTE were worried TV3 would show The Voice UK, that was why they commissioned it 3 years ago.

ITV Ireland would still have the same issue as UTV Ireland, the only option would be to drop their News programming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭MarkK

Technically no need for licence as they have on from OfCom see EU AVWF and there is space on the DTT muxes see Broadcasting act 09

But could they stay on Saorview if they are not a RoI public broadcaster?
    Also, would the be shunted to the end of the Sky Entertainment EPG without public broadcaster status?

MarkK wrote: »
    But could they stay on Saorview if they are not a RoI public broadcaster?
    Also, would the be shunted to the end of the Sky Entertainment EPG without public broadcaster status?

Yes: the Broadcasting Act 09 allows for 2RN sell extra space on the PSB Muxes if it is available, plenty available. Sky won't get rid of UTV Ireland after getting it so soon, if they really did think it was a PSBer or part of the fob to their Irish viewers UTV Ireland would be on channel 109.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

UTV emailed me back regarding UTViHD being behind the HD paywall on sky - UTV claim the are not governed by the 2009 Act
    Dear ....

Thank you for taking the time to contact UTV Ireland.

UTV Ireland is not covered by Section 77 of the Broadcasting Act 2009. The Channel is available on an FTA basis on the Saorview platform.

Kind regards,
    UTV Ireland

Advertisement