Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The ITV Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭patrickmooney

Would ITV not make more money shutting UTV Ireland down and selling the rights to their programming back to TV3/RTE etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Would ITV not make more money shutting UTV Ireland down and selling the rights to their programming back to TV3/RTE etc?

But what if someone just bids 1 million?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭SPDUB

Can't see RTE getting into a bidding war because it would look bad politically

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

RTE wouldn't take a deal of the type UTV and TV3 before them have - they might have an interest in Coronation Street and Emmerdale but not the rest (and do remember that when RTE aired Emmerdale it was in daytime),

Doubt tv3 would be bothered either. I think it will carry on but as ITV Ireland. There is advertising revenue to be tapped here for ITV. They will realise that UTV was a popular station here and keep it going. Would be great if we finally get access to ITV 2,3&4 as well on the sky epg.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

zorro2566 wrote: »
    Doubt tv3 would be bothered either. I think it will carry on but as ITV Ireland. There is advertising revenue to be tapped here for ITV. They will realise that UTV was a popular station here and keep it going. Would be great if we finally get access to ITV 2,3&4 as well on the sky epg.

ITV be and ITV encore, all selling ads. not to mention the ITV player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭galtee boy

Are the BAI just going to sit back and let ITV do what they want with UTVI, ie scale back Irish news content, Irish made programming etc and just let them turn UTVI into an Irish version of ITV, with the same schedule as the UK version, bar possibly five mins of ROI news after the ITN bulletins ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

galtee boy wrote: »
    Are the BAI just going to sit back and let ITV do what they want with UTVI, ie scale back Irish news content, Irish made programming etc and just let them turn UTVI into an Irish version of ITV, with the same schedule as the UK version, bar possibly five mins of ROI news after the ITN bulletins ?
    going on their past record probably yes. If ITV keep some semblence of news output to fulfil the licence type then they can do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭zeebre12

ITV Ireland just doesn't sound right..I thought UTV Ireland was bad. So just an Irish variant like ITV Wales..what are we part of the UK now?. It just seems wrong..especially for a main terrestrial channel, thats like BBC 1/2, ITV, Channel 4 and NBC UK for the UK..can they not just make up a new name..?

zeebre12 wrote: »
    ITV Ireland just doesn't sound right..I thought UTV Ireland was bad. So just an Irish variant like ITV Wales..what are we part of the UK now?. It just seems wrong..especially for a main terrestrial channel, thats like BBC 1/2, ITV, Channel 4 and NBC UK for the UK..can they not just make up a new name..?

ITV Eire!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Well, isn't the current branding just "ITV" for most regions? That'd work.

It is. And I don't get the hatred of the name. ITV Ireland no more indicates that Ireland is part of the UK than BBC America claims that the U.S. is part of the UK or CNBC Europe claims that Europe is part of the U.S. It's a daft claim to make.

icdg wrote: »
    It is. And I don't get the hatred of the name. ITV Ireland no more indicates that Ireland is part of the UK than BBC America claims that the U.S. is part of the UK or CNBC Europe claims that Europe is part of the U.S. It's a daft claim to make.

I though ITV put up the regional names on idents?

I understand the problem with ITV Ireland it is more similar to BBC Scotland or ITV Wales, and was always used to deride TV3 as just a regional version of ITV.

The regional names are gone from idents in England before network programmes since 2002 (before ITV plc even existed) and went from even regional programmes when the logo before this one was introduced. Wales lasted a bit longer but ultimately it went too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

icdg wrote: »
    The regional names are gone from idents in England before network programmes since 2002 (before ITV plc even existed) and went from even regional programmes when the logo before this one was introduced. Wales lasted a bit longer but ultimately it went too.

They have reintroduced regional introductions to the news at 6pm, but without any regional identification onscreen.

I wonder whether they will retain any local continuity. It's such an integral part of UTV (in Northern Ireland, anyway) that it would be a big change to get rid of it entirely.

Richard wrote: »

I wonder whether they will retain any local continuity. It's such an integral part of UTV (in Northern Ireland, anyway) that it would be a big change to get rid of it entirely.

Not a bad idea in fairness

Richard wrote: »
    They have reintroduced regional introductions to the news at 6pm, but without any regional identification onscreen.

It was intregal elsewhere too, though in England at least, people had got used to the continuity coming from elsewhere long before the change to "ITV(1)" actually happened. Also there were periods of "dual branding" including the 1999-2002 period where all English ITV companies implemented dual branding of one form or another. After 1997 all trailers in England for network programmes were branded ITV(1) so that by the time the change came it was really only the idents that ITV(1) became the main brand. As I say it was a bit more major in Wales and it took longer there.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 ciarandee1

The Daniel and Majella B&B Road Trip show airs on UTV Ireland at 8pm on Monday 26th October.

I'm a celeb will be on UTV Ireland from now on as tv3 have lost the rights. It's the start of UTV Ireland getting closer to the main ITV schedule I suppose,although it could take a couple of years to reclaim all the rights.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

I'm a celeb will be on UTV Ireland from now on as tv3 have lost the rights. It's the start of UTV Ireland getting closer to the main ITV schedule I suppose,although it could take a couple of years to reclaim all the rights.

downton abbey, x factor and britain got talent live rights are not owned by ITV

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

ciarandee1 wrote: »
    The Daniel and Majella B&B Road Trip show airs on UTV Ireland at 8pm on Monday 26th October.

It looks like it was very cheap to make,a dash cam,microphone and one cameraman probably in a 2nd sponsored car?
    I thought it was quite enjoyable though

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

ftakeith wrote: »
    But the shows are commissioned by ITV aren't they?

ftakeith wrote: »

They are shown by ITV who are in the process of purchasing UTV & UTV Ireland so they will eventually be run on the UTVs if the programmes are still running when the rights are available to the ITV owned UTVs.Downton is almost finished so the repeats will probably be on the UTVs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Souriau

Hi Zorro, When did you became a celeb? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭iseegirls

For Downton Abbey, when TV3 renewed their deal - it was for exclusivity for the life time of the series. Unfortunately, the winding up of Downton was announced a few months later with the final episode being Christmas Day this year.
    But if the series was to go on for 15 years, then TV3 would continue to hold the rights over it.
    This could possibly be done with other rights like BGT, X Factor and others to stop UTV Ireland getting them.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Perhaps, but all ITV would need to do is change the name of the series. Remember, Pop-idol morphed into X-factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

So apart from X factor and BGT, tv3 I would say really have no big name ITV programming left. Would you count Long Lost Family or Take Me out, which TV3 has as big ratings winners?

So apart from X factor and BGT, tv3 I would say really have no big name ITV programming left. Would you count Long Lost Family or Take Me out, which TV3 has as big ratings winners?

Take me out was at one stage. Long Lost Family does fairly well for TV3. They aren't X-Factor and BGT audience levels.

I'd say X-Factor will have one more series before being replaced with a new series.

Tv3 seldom show the ITV dramas which UTV Ireland does,even though they may not show them at the same time as ITV!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Daniel and Majella’s B&B Road Trip pulled in on average 322,000 viewers last night - impressive numbers for UTVI beating Eastenders on RTE 1 and Mission Impossible on TV3 with a 20% share of the viewing audience.

Up north it averaged 192,000 viewers and a 28% share on UTV.

Advertisement