Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The ITV Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

UTV Ireland don't have the rights

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

efb wrote: »

UTV might have the right if they merge or are bought by tv3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

ftakeith wrote: »

Won't happen unless Liberty Global take a bigger share of ITV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,727 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

efb wrote: »

That is precisely the point.

They should have gone all out to get them though, regardless of what ITV have or haven't got.

Yet again, calls into question the point of the channel at all. They set up with little or no content, spent huge amounts of money to get nowhere, sold it to ITV who now seem intent on leaving it as a stand alone and thus even if they do merge the channels during six nations for the next 4 years they have to diverge the offering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,799 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Leroy42 wrote: »
    They should have gone all out to get them though, regardless of what ITV have or haven't got.

At what cost? Nobody knows how much TV3 paid. it could have been a ridiculous amount of money for all anyone knows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,308 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Lads, sports rights are very expensive. TV3 just outbid RTE and you're talking about UTV Ireland outbidding both of them? Let's be realistic here.

Just wait until the European championships next year when most folks here won't have access to the ITV games (particularly when England are involved). Sure RTE will have it but that won't stop the complaining

• Registered Users Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

lertsnim wrote: »
    At what cost? Nobody knows how much TV3 paid. it could have been a ridiculous amount of money for all anyone knows.

These rights were auctioned under the UTV ownership not ITV so did UTV Management even bother to submit a bid given the dire financial state of their Irish channel. ITV would not have bid for them now as technically they don't own UTV yet.

These rights were auctioned under the UTV ownership not ITV so did UTV Management even bother to submit a bid given the dire financial state of their Irish channel. ITV would not have bid for them now as technically they don't own UTV yet.

Correct. You would hope that UTV Ireland would at least have tried given their previous comments about obtaining rights when they become available but even if they did bid they wouldn't have been able to compete with RTÉ or TV3. UTV Ireland so far has been a black hole for money.

I thought ITV bought UTV Ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,444 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Neither of these are going to happen.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Saw my first UTV Ireland promo advert on RTE tonight showing all the great programmes they have been running - bit late to save the station, but you never know.

Saw my first UTV Ireland promo advert on RTE tonight showing all the great programmes they have been running - bit late to save the station, but you never know.

I think its a bit of a myth to say UTV Ireland has failed.

It's increased it UTV audience by 100% to ~6% and maintained its audience for the whole year with few dips or peaks, next week will see it bounce up massively. If it isn't getting 10% from Nov 15TH to Dec 15TH, they will have failed massively.

It really kicked off on UTV Ireland's FB and Twitter sites last night! They cut off I'm a celeb with ten minutes to go even though they ran it simultaneously with ITV, they finished at 10.50 when it was due to run till 11. People posting with a lot of venom directed at UTV I on the social media sites!

zorro2566 wrote: »
    It really kicked off on UTV Ireland's FB and Twitter sites last night! They cut off I'm a celeb with ten minutes to go even though they ran it simultaneously with ITV, they finished at 10.50 when it was due to run till 11. People posting with a lot of venom directed at UTV I on the social media sites!

Did they say why it ran short?

Elmo wrote: »
    Did they say why it ran short?

They said,on the twitter site,that it was a 'technical issue'.Sounded like BS to me though!

They said,on the twitter site,that it was a 'technical issue'.Sounded like BS to me though!

I'd say that the pre-set ads and TGNS where set to 10:50, not good for their first night.

Did anyone mention that IAACGMOFH now aired later than ITV2?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

do they not have someone there to manually override the automatic schedule on a Sunday night? Surely they would have to have someone there for things like this.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

The quicker ITV operate this channel the better. We were all watching it on ITV HD anyway so didn't miss anything. UTV Ireland hasn't been switched on in months in our house.

Gonzo wrote: »
    The quicker ITV operate this channel the better. We were all watching it on ITV HD anyway so didn't miss anything. UTV Ireland hasn't been switched on in months in our house.

ITV have great form with adverts cutting in before they are meant to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭SPDUB

It wasn't due to end at 11pm but at 1050 and ITV had been advertising an extended news at 1050 .

They actually ran I'm a Celeb until 1054 and then went straight into the news

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

Exclusive from Irish Independent online edition dated 10/12/2015:
    According to Independent.ie apparently Pat Kenny and UTV Ireland 'part company'

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/television/tv-news/exclusive-pat-kenny-and-utv-ireland-part-company-34276795.html

After the chat show: "Pat Kenny: In The Round" on UTV Ireland was axed earlier than originally planned, I wonder will Pat be contracted by RTÉ Television for the General Election Results Programme even though Pat will continue to work on his weekday radio programme for NewsTalk 106-108FM. Otherwise, TV3 under it's new owners may be interested in hiring Pat to complement Vincent Browne for their General Election Results coverage?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,976 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

how long has this channel got? shutdown 01.01.2016?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Chris oDonoghue jumps first, Pat Kenny shoved out the door, Alan Cantwell doesn't even stay there for more than a few weeks. Says a lot.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,833 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

It isn't going to suddenly close like that unless a creditor moves on it and UTV Media can't or won't pay them. Who are its creditors? It buys nearly its entire programme supply from just one company. That same company is currently in the process of buying its immediate parent company.

Unless it's not paying the rent/ESB/heating/staff (and we would hear if it were the latter) it is in no immediate danger. At the very least it will last until the ITV takeover is complete and the new owners run the rule over what their strategy in Ireland should be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭political analyst

how long has this channel got? shutdown 01.01.2016?
    I doubt it. If that happened then Emmerdale and Coronation Street wouldn't be available on Saorview anymore. Can you imagine what the reaction to that would be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Exclusive from Irish Independent online edition dated 10/12/2015:
    According to Independent.ie apparently Pat Kenny and UTV Ireland 'part company'

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/television/tv-news/exclusive-pat-kenny-and-utv-ireland-part-company-34276795.html

After the chat show: "Pat Kenny: In The Round" on UTV Ireland was axed earlier than originally planned, I wonder will Pat be contracted by RTÉ Television for the General Election Results Programme even though Pat will continue to work on his weekday radio programme for NewsTalk 106-108FM. Otherwise, TV3 under it's new owners may be interested in hiring Pat to complement Vincent Browne for their General Election Results coverage?

Presumably, there would be a "gardening leave" clause in his contract - would he be able to do broadcasts in February?

iseegirls wrote: »
    Chris oDonoghue jumps first, Pat Kenny shoved out the door, Alan Cantwell doesn't even stay there for more than a few weeks. Says a lot.

Chris O'Donoghue will remain as part of insight team
    Alan Cantwell was employed during maternity leave and was not offer a better contract. He was off TV3 for 3 years at least, working freelance, with An Irish TV appearance.

Presumably, there would be a "gardening leave" clause in his contract - would he be able to do broadcasts in February?

Pat Kenny was clearly not impressed when UTV Ireland went off to the media to inform them his show would not be returning after all. Kenny, who several months earlier was paraded as a "BIG STAR SIGNING" for UTV Ireland deserved a small bit of courtesy and respect from station management but unfortunately this seems to happen more & more these days in many firms but when you are in the public eye it is even more embarrassing if you are the last to know about your own employment!

As for will Pat Kenny be permitted to do other TV work in February (around the time of the next General Election) well I think this largely depends on the terms agreed between both parties however; I imagine that the experienced broadcaster will have ensured that he is more than well compensated if he is precluded from undertaking any other TV work with a different employer in the same jurisdiction. Once bitten twice shy I suspect.

Elmo wrote: »
    Chris O'Donoghue will remain as part of insight team
    Alan Cantwell was employed during maternity leave and was not offer a better contract. He was off TV3 for 3 years at least, working freelance, with An Irish TV appearance.

As far as I know Alan Cantwell had hoped to land a news anchor role in the United States but he was unable to obtain a VISA to take up this particular job role over there. I never knew he worked on UTV Ireland for a short time albeit during maternity leave. I do remember he appeared as a reviewer of the newspapers on Tonight with Vincent Browne on TV3 on at least one occasion.

• Advertisement

I doubt it. If that happened then Emmerdale and Coronation Street wouldn't be available on Saorview anymore. Can you imagine what the reaction to that would be?

I reckon the new owners will run it as similarly as possible to that of UTV (NI) model and once various contracts run out they will almost be identical except for a token local Irish news update just to ensure it fulfills its remit as an Irish (PSB) Public Service Broadcaster so that it is entitled to retain it's existing key channel position slots on various tv viewing platforms. I imagine UTV Ireland's new owners (i.e.) ITV would love to just run it like one of the Sky channels which only differ by running Republic of Ireland commercial breaks but they would quickly come under pressure from competitors like TV3, RTÉ etc; voicing complaints to the relevant authorities here to relinquish key position slots if they were to abuse their position by not adhering to certain things.

Advertisement