Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The ITV Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

lertsnim wrote: »
    Giving hours of air time to a charity benefit that benefits no charities in this country is a disgrace.

Pointless more than a disgrace. Someone in UTV could have suggest airing a phone number for UTV Ireland's chosen charity, very simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

Gonzo wrote: »
    UTV Ireland's Christmas line-up is the worst I have ever seen, not surprised UTV Ireland is a shoe-string funded mess and amateur hour at it's finest.

This is their first time to run all aspects of a tv channel by themselves. All the handy work and the majority of programming on UTV NI is from the ITV Network and all UTV had to do was a news slot and some terrible local programming.

Lets hope ITV takes full control of UTV Ireland sooner rather than later and make something decent of the channel.

While I for one would have been one of those TV Viewers up for more choice in terms of additional TV/Radio Services especially based out of Ireland as I always felt that fresh competition is often a good thing and tends to keep everyone on their toes. This time last year I was excited at the prospect of UTV Ireland launching on 01st January last but this station seems to schedule some very bizarre programmes at times.

The Text Santa concept is a very noble one for those UK Charity Organisations which stand to benefit directly from a Christmas appeal and I applaud their efforts. However; by UTV Ireland devoting several hours in it's schedule to the same UK appeal where there is absolutely ZERO benefits whatsoever for any Irish Charity Organisation/Irish Good Causes within the jurisdiction that UTV Ireland is licenced to broadcast is completely unacceptable. This clearly demonstrates the reason why UTV Ireland has struggled to gain audience share to date because advertising agencies here in the Republic of Ireland know what is likely to attract Irish viewers versus what is irrelevant.

I am not certain that the station's new owners, itv will be very different in their approach either but I hope I am wrong in this respect. Among the things I would revise at an early stage would be the entire brand name & identity of UTV Ireland as I think it has not earned the loyalty of Irish viewers here in the Republic of Ireland at all. They tried to refresh it and personalize it since September but there is very little of Irish home produced programmes to watch apart from Daniel & Majella's B&B mini-series which was only fair.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,833 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Again they are between a rock and a hard place here. Some people seem to want them to run a completely independent service while some people want them to be nothing more than ITV with an Irish accent and curse every ITV programme that's not aired with the network. These two views are completely irreconcilable. UTV Ireland is never going to make everyone happy of course, but I have never seen a TV station generate such an amount of hate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 902 ✭✭✭twinklerunner

icdg wrote: »
    Again they are between a rock and a hard place here. Some people seem to want them to run a completely independent service while some people want them to be nothing more than ITV with an Irish accent and curse every ITV programme that's not aired with the network. These two views are completely irreconcilable. UTV Ireland is never going to make everyone happy of course, but I have never seen a TV station generate such an amount of hate.

I would be happy with it being a copy of ITV. At the moment it's a poor version of ITV3 with a bit of UTV.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭formerly scottish paddy

I think this is symptomatic of a frame of mind in many British people (see this mornings Irish Times article by Donald Clarke on "British" actors) who think the REPUBLIC of Ireland is part of the UK, unfortunately they don't realise that the clue is in the name. I can't see this changing when ITV take over, althought you would think that the number of Irish people working for UTV I might have had an influence????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,308 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

I think this is symptomatic of a frame of mind in many British people (see this mornings Irish Times article by Donald Clarke on "British" actors) who think the REPUBLIC of Ireland is part of the UK, unfortunately they don't realise that the clue is in the name. I can't see this changing when ITV take over, althought you would think that the number of Irish people working for UTV I might have had an influence????
    You'll find the VAST majority of people on this thread want more British and less Irish programming on UTV Ireland so I wouldn't be getting too high-horsey about British attitudes TBH

Dodge wrote: »
    You'll find the VAST majority of people on this thread want more British and less Irish programming on UTV Ireland so I wouldn't be getting too high-horsey about British attitudes TBH

I think Irish viewers want BBC ONE, TWO, ITV and Channel 4 from an alternative choice point of view. UTV Ireland won't want to just be an alternative. The 4 main English channels have lost phenominal amounts of Irish audiences in the past decade. I think even Sky One was more popular in Ireland at one stage than it ever was in Britain. UTV had lost a large portion of its audience, and a large portion of it "southern" advertising revenue, when Ray Burke (dare I say his name) capped RTÉs advertising income it wasn't the Local and National independent radio services that saw their income increase it was UTV, so you can imagine how important The Republic is to UTV, but its audience was falling to 3% by 2014.

Irish audience want English Drama and big event shows like X-Factor and I'm A Celebrity. Irish audience do not really care to watch English lifestyle. They think the Irish TV should be able to produce its own. There is no High Horse, just a reasonable expectation that Irish broadcasters produce good quality programming surrounded by the best of English and American programming.

TV3 have been lucky with 3e. I think unless it does something its audience will depart. TV3 should air English and American Drama's and big show in prime time (though American Idol and XFactor US don't interest Irish audience that much, you'd wonder why they don't go after better american Drama series).

RTÉ ONE should air more English Drama in Prime Time even if it is a repeat of programming from BBC, if it fits with their other programming it is far better than a repeat of any Irish Lifestyle programme.

If next year UTV Ireland has rebranded to ITV Ireland, certain shows from the ITV network will still be shown on RTE and TV3. RTE and TV3 miss a trick by not airing them as ITV, in the same way UTV Ireland missed out on airing Poldark as BBC ONE.

If ITV insist on removing all Irish programming from UTV Ireland and it becomes just a simucast of ITV they will see a slow drop from its current 6% back to 3%.

Irish people like British and American Productions, but we also expect Irish channels to produce quality Irish productions. Instead we get repeats and lots and lots of Daytime TV mixed with few British and American productions. UTV Ireland over the year did nothing major to rock the boat. It's big move was to move their 6:30 news to 5:30. It should have moved much of the ITV prime time lifestyle to late night or weekends and replaced with better English Dramas, even if only repeats. It should have bought some US serials. They basically had half the ITV Network schedule, which when they should have Simulcast they didn't

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭formerly scottish paddy

Dodge wrote: »
    Well if that is the case then UTV I (or ITV I) should drop the pretence and and just simulcast ITV and be done with it, leaving Irish programming to RTE and
    TV3. (BTW my remarks on the attitude of some British people to the status of this country still stand).

No more of that please, back on topic

Is it not very strange for the BAI to approve the sale as the first hurdle for the takeover of UTV Ireland by ITV?

Surely it starts at CPCC and they make recommendations to the Minister who then consults with the BAI.

What terms did the BAI put down for the sale of either TV3 or UTV Ireland or do they even think of getting better services from such sales?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Elmo wrote: »
    Is it not very strange for the BAI to approve the sale as the first hurdle for the takeover of UTV Ireland by ITV?

Surely it starts at CPCC and they make recommendations to the Minister who then consults with the BAI.

What terms did the BAI put down for the sale of either TV3 or UTV Ireland or do they even think of getting better services from such sales?

Is there not a different process for media mergers ?

Since ITV does not operate in the Irish market CPCC approval is a forgone conclusion ?

Infoanon wrote: »
    Is there not a different process for media mergers ?

Since ITV does not operate in the Irish market CPCC approval is a forgone conclusion ?

Not necessarily. IMO its a forgone conclusion because CPCC couldn't turn around and say no to ITV when they have just said yes to Virgin/UPC on TV3.

I would have thought the first stage is CPCC then minister and DCERN makes a decision and consults with the BAI.

IMO the BAI are the last step.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Elmo wrote: »
    Not necessarily. IMO its a forgone conclusion because CPCC couldn't turn around and say no to ITV when they have just said yes to Virgin/UPC on TV3.

I would have thought the first stage is CPCC then minister and DCERN makes a decision and consults with the BAI.

IMO the BAI are the last step.

The steps are set out clearly on the ccpc website so there is transparency on the process.

Infoanon wrote: »
    The steps are set out clearly on the ccpc website so there is transparency on the process.

I am not saying it's not transparent. I don't see how the BAI is the the first hurdle, surely they are only a consultative part of the process rather than anything else.

Also while it might be transparent it seems it has no teeth. E.g. with the amount of times the BAI clearly point out the difference between UTV and TV3 in terms of licence (Section 71 and 70) you would think they would move UTV to be licence under Section 70, this would provide much more robust regulation of ITV in the Irish market.

My reading of s70 is that there can only ever be one contract issued under this section. Certainly that was the intention of the equivalent section of the 1988 Act under which TV3's original contract was awarded.

My reading of s70 is that there can only ever be one contract issued under this section. Certainly that was the intention of the equivalent section of the 1988 Act under which TV3's original contract was awarded.

I think when TV3 started kicking up a fuss about UTV Ireland not having the same requirements we had suggested that their was no real reason on to issue S70 license.
    70.— (1) The Authority, on the recommendation of the Contract Awards Committee, shall enter into a contract (“ television programme service contract ”) with a person or persons (“ television programme service contractor ”) who shall have the right and duty to establish and maintain a television programme service and who, subject to section 139 , shall have the right and duty, subject to the terms of the contract, to establish, maintain and operate television broadcasting transmitters for the purpose of transmitting the television programme service as a free-to-air service.

(2) The Authority shall ensure that a television programme service provided by a television programme service contractor under this section shall in its programming—

(a) be responsive to the interests and concerns of the whole community, be mindful of the need for understanding and peace within the whole island of Ireland, ensure that the programmes reflect the varied elements which make up the culture of the people of the whole island of Ireland, and have special regard for the elements which distinguish that culture and in particular for the Irish language,

(b) uphold the democratic values enshrined in the Constitution, especially those relating to rightful liberty of expression,

(c) have regard to the need for the formation of public awareness and understanding of the values and traditions of countries other than the State, including in particular those of other Member States, and

(d) include a reasonable proportion of news and current affairs programmes.

(3) A television programme service contractor shall in its programming comply with the requirements set out in paragraphs (a) to (d) of subsection (2).

(4) For the purpose of ensuring compliance with subsection (2) the Authority shall ensure that a reasonable proportion of the television programme service—

(a) is produced in the State or in another Member State, and

(b) is devoted to original programme material produced therein by persons other than the contractor, its subsidiary, its parent or existing broadcasting organisations.

(5) The television programme service contract entered into between TV3 Television Network Limited trading as TV3 and the BCI under section 17 of the Radio and Television Act 1988 and section 6 of the Broadcasting Act 1990 , if in force immediately before the passing of this Act, continues as if entered into under this section.

Though on reading section 70 and 139 it suggests just one. But That's not to say that another could not be issued by the BAI. I don't see anything preventing this happening. Though I agree it seems to be one commercial license holder.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 ciarandee1

http://player.utv.ie/live/

is now working on utv ireland

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

ciarandee1 wrote: »

any proof of the utv player on sky catch up

ciarandee1 wrote: »

I thought that was there already.I think the Sky On Demand one is pending though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,799 ✭✭✭lertsnim

zorro2566 wrote: »
    I thought that was there already.

It's been there for the best part of a year.

• Advertisement

zorro2566 wrote: »
    I thought that was there already.I think the Sky On Demand one is pending though!

Some people reported having it before Christmas. I don't, and I have Sky+HD.

if I get it I will take a picture to show proof

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭h7nlrp2v0g5u48

A poster on the DS forum reported it was on his Sky HD box just before Christmas and posted a picture. So I can't understand why it's not been added to all boxes at the same time.

A poster on the DS forum reported it was on his Sky HD box just before Christmas and posted a picture. So I can't understand why it's not been added to all boxes at the same time.

UTV ireland player has just been added to my Sky HD Box. It wasn't there earlier today when I checked. I wonder have all boxes got it yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭galtee boy

natashaob6 wrote: »
    UTV ireland player has just been added to my Sky HD Box. It wasn't there earlier today when I checked. I wonder have all boxes got it yet?

Just got it on my box too. Had a look, it's only got Coronation and Emmerdale on it and it's in SD ! Also, why is it hidden away on page 2 of the Catch Up menu ?

galtee boy wrote: »
    Just got it on my box too. Had a look, it's only got Coronation and Emmerdale on it and it's in SD ! Also, why is it hidden away on page 2 of the Catch Up menu ?
    Maybe when ITV takeover a full catalogue of programmes will be added. It will be interesting to see where the RTE Player will be positioned.

natashaob6 wrote: »

on mine too

just corrie and emmerdale on it so far

• Advertisement

Advertisement